Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Wait, so your saying boards.ie can legally just give up a users real details just like that ?.....

Only if ordered to do so by a judge or a Garda Superintendent I believe. They don't just give information out to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I can understand the margin excuse from a business P.O.V but for the love of god, don't pass your problem on to the consumer.

All it will do is alienate a massive chunk of your customer base. Gamers really are the wrong group of people to annoy, the threads on boards and reddit prove this.

Or do a decent bundle deal and make customers happy. If they'd just said well the console is there but for X amount more you can get a game and something else then people might take it up as it could be better value, don't ransom people's stuff when they've already paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

As I said earlier, this idea of holding people to ransom disgusts me.

But, and I'm not being funny, I have to laugh at someone claiming they can't afford the extra €70. You're buying a brand new console for what, €500-600, somehow I don't think you're struggling.

That's not the point. If I had pre ordered a console for day one and had saved for it I would be pretty annoyed if I was told I had to fork over another 70 quid when there is already a game in the box. Customers are 100% right to be annoyed. I would be to.

It's typical behaviour from head office as they don't have to deal with customers face to face. Thank god our store has no more for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

My understanding of the ps4 situation is that there will be no solus consoles,everyone will have to buy a bundle. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Why any-one would purchase from a store that breaks consumer rights law is beyond me. Consumer law is to protect us all from dodgy practice from businesses/companies and retail stores.

A retail store that disregards your rights as a consumer should be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

You shouldn't been calling your employers policy bull**** in public and especially on the internet no matter how much you disagree. It would be a sackable offence and as far as I'm aware if extra vision pushed it they can get boards to hand over user data, just be careful.

So Xtravision would then need to go to the Gardai and complain that one of their employees call one of their polices "BS" on Boards.ie?I think they have more serious issues to deal with!

As far as I am concerned employees should whistle-blow and get protection of the state if customers are getting ripped off and xtravision are blaming MS , if this was a Bank we were talking about there would be BEDLAM!

jaffusmax wrote: »
    So Xtravision would then need to go to the Gardai and complain that one of their employees call one of their polices "BS" on Boards.ie?I think they have more serious issues to deal with!

As far as I am concerned employees should whistle-blow and get protection of the state if customers are getting ripped off, if this was a Bank we were talking about there would be BEDLAM!

Not to mention someone being sacked for disagreeing with an illegal store policy could probably have a field day with an unfair dismissal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I doubt Xtravision would shell out the money on a phonecall to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    That's the thing, store policy doesn't override consumer law, otherwise stores could just do what they wanted and get away with it, which is exactly what XV seem to think they can do.

That's the trouble though. Lets say you ordered an XBO and one game, and XV say you have to buy another. Legally, they can't do that. But with the time and effort it'd take you to get a solicitors letter, you'd be getting your XBO late (possibly after Christmas) and XV would only have to hold to their original contract of the console and one game (not sure if compensation could be chased up, but that would again take up more time and cost with a solicitor).

So in a way, you're damned if you do damned if you don't. You accept what XV are doing, you have to pay for an extra game. You challenge XV on it, you have to wait longer for your console and possibly pay solicitor fees.

The best course of action isn't trying to use the law against them. It's trying to use the media against them because of the law.

Penn wrote: »
    The best course of action isn't trying to use the law against them. It's trying to use the media against them because of the law.

Joe Duffy it is so!!! Someone get on the blower!

We really need to send out a message as gamers that we will not be Gimped by these companies anymore! I have not been effected but I am still very angry about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Exactly penn, truth is the majority will pay out because they have been waiting so long and want their console for Christmas. XV definitely need to be dragged through the media for this and head office (whoever made this dicision) should answer why he is doing this publicly as ' microsoft made me do it' is such a lie

That's the trouble though. Lets say you ordered an XBO and one game, and XV say you have to buy another. Legally, they can't do that. But with the time and effort it'd take you to get a solicitors letter, you'd be getting your XBO late (possibly after Christmas) and XV would only have to hold to their original contract of the console and one game (not sure if compensation could be chased up, but that would again take up more time and cost with a solicitor).

So in a way, you're damned if you do damned if you don't. You accept what XV are doing, you have to pay for an extra game. You challenge XV on it, you have to wait longer for your console and possibly pay solicitor fees.

Oh definitely, they know the majority of people will cave because it's more effort than it's worth and will cost more than 60 quid to pursue it further. that's what even more reprehensible about it, it's just utter greed from XV management.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Exactly penn, truth is the majority will pay out because they have been waiting so long and want their console for Christmas. XV definitely need to be dragged through the media for this and head office (whoever made this dicision) should answer why he is doing this publicly as ' microsoft made me do it' is such a lie

Indeed, I'd love if MS went to town legally on XV for saying it was a MS decision when it isn't. Wonder have MS and Sony been made aware of it, I'd say they have to been if it's on reddit

I agree, using the media against them is very powerful because as we all know, when people read bad stories like this, they tend not to shop there.

On the case regarding a solicitors letter, well as far as I know, it only costs 15 Euro to take Extra-Vision to the small claims court, the cost could have gone up by now, i'm not sure. Well if people do nothing, then nothing will ever be done.

Even if you filed a small claim against Extra-Vision, it might never even get to court because most of the time they don't want to go through all of this in the courts so they will normally just comply with you and refund you or other, but if everyone does nothing then they are let run rampage all over consumers rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As I said before with the launch of the 360 this was rife everywhere and I remember we found out that they are well within their rights to do it unfortunately.

Here is Xtra-Visions head office if any of you want to either call them or more preferably write them a complaint letter in regards to this irresponsible lack of complying with Irish consumer law... tell them they have 10 working days to respond to the letter, otherwise it will be taken up with the small claims court.

Xtra-vision Head Office,

Greenhills Retail Park,
    Greenhills Road,
    Tallaght,
    Dublin 24.

Tel: 01 452 7722 (Office Hours 9am - 5:30pm Mon-Fri)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As I said before with the launch of the 360 this was rife everywhere and I remember we found out that they are well within their rights to do it unfortunately.

But we can keep the pressure on them and damage their gaming sales!

They are not within their rights at all. You cannot force some-one to purchase an extra item when you have already paid for the item you only wanted to purchase. Who told you this ? it is totally incorrect.

Again, their policy is null & void in regards to Irish consumer law. They haven't a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The 7 day returns is for online purchases and is European law for distance selling it won't nessiciarly apply to in store purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

zenno wrote: »
    They are not within their rights at all. You cannot force some-one to purchase an extra item when you have already paid for the item you only wanted to purchase. Who told you this ? it is totally incorrect.

Again, their policy is null & void in regards to Irish consumer law. They haven't a leg to stand on.

I think Retr0gamer is right tbh. Depending on how XV respond, they could probably word it in such a way to get out of it. Like if they said that instead of the release of preorders being decided by when you preordered, they're being decided on if you make extra purchases with it, they might be legally okay with that. They could say they'll still fulfil your preorder, but it'll be in a later batch (likely after Christmas) and they were just giving preference to those buying more stuff.

I seriously doubt they would have implemented this plan without having a way to protect themselves legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I've a feeling things will get much worse on Friday. How long before some nut is pissed off buying reason and starts throwing stuff? This is bound to happen somewhere. Really bad form XV, I feel really bad for the staff in all of this.

Oh I know a mate of mine who is heading down to get his, lovely guy but will turn into a total hot head over this and hates seeing people being screwed over, he will be down in the pub beforehand which will not help matters, he will hop the counter and grab his if he has to and everyone elses if needs be :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Wait, so your saying boards.ie can legally just give up a users real details just like that ?.....

I am pretty sure it would take more than a phone call from the guards to get this info and In fact I think a court order would be needed and even then XV would need to prove that a law had been broken before a judge would sign off on this. Data protection would be a big deal in this situation.

I think Retr0gamer is right tbh. Depending on how XV respond, they could probably word it in such a way to get out of it. Like if they said that instead of the release of preorders being decided by when you preordered, they're being decided on if you make extra purchases with it, they might be legally okay with that. They could say they'll still fulfil your preorder, but it'll be in a later batch (likely after Christmas) and they were just giving preference to those buying more stuff.

I seriously doubt they would have implemented this plan without having a way to protect themselves legally.

No doubt there is a few ways for them to wriggle their way out of it. Their sales and profits will suffer from this I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Got a response from sony ireland
    2hcfbfb.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

zenno wrote: »

The thing is they aren't really forcing you to buy anything. You either take what they are offering or get a refund. Nothing is really agreed when you preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Nothing is really agreed when you preorder.
    I think this may be the main idea. The receipt at point of purchase is the contract. I don't know the ins and outs of consumer laws, but as was pointed out they'd hardly leave themselves open for a legal minefield. Very lousy thing to do. Boycotting is grand but honestly, as a gamer, how many games do you buy from them in the first place? They are handy shops for less tech savvy mums and dads to pick stuff up. And of course kids who don't have credit cards to buy online.

The thing is they aren't really forcing you to buy anything. You either take what they are offering or get a refund. Nothing is really agreed when you preorder.

I'd be curious to see how easy it would be in getting a refund from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Will be going into the XV I have my PS4 ordered today to query this. Have two games preordered. Will be asking them what the story is. If I'm confirmed to be getting a console at launch (already have the console fully paid for), I might cancel the preorders for the games.

Seriously shameful tactics, and judging by the backlash so far, can see them reversing this policy for the PS4 release. Feel bad for the XBO guys who got stung by this.

So you are actually covered, as you have games pre-ordered... yet... you're going to try and cancel those games, that you actually want... to... test, Xtravision?

Surely you can find a better use for your time, like doing the laundry, or clearing out the shed...

I don't understand the outrage. Surely... you plan to buy at least one title to play on your console?

If you've fully paid for the console then they've accepted payment and entered into a contract of sale with you, that's where things go into a big grey area. They know people will probably fork out the extra instead of going to the hassle of trying to get a console this close to Christmas.

Like if you went into Harvey Norman, paid a grand for a tv, then they delivered it and said they wont take it off the truck until you buy a blu-ray player too, that's basically what XV are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Wright wrote: »
    So you are actually covered, as you have games pre-ordered... yet... you're going to try and cancel those games, that you actually want... to... test, Xtravision?

Surely you can find a better use for your time, like doing the laundry, or clearing out the shed...

I don't understand the outrage. Surely... you plan to buy at least one title to play on your console?
    XV will still force you to buy another game even if you have other games pre ordered along with the console.

Advertisement