Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's funny.
    People are selling xbox one consoles for €650 on adverts.ie and it's met with remarks that these people are greedy. Personally, i just see it as people trying to make a few quid. It's a buyers choice to pay over the odds.

But here, we have a retail company ripping you off... that your 500 isnt good enough. Buy an extra game or, as said earlier, holding the console you may have paid in full for 'ransom'

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah but when you preordered a solo console (no game bundle) you agreed on paying a price for that console. Being told buy a game or no console is ransom exactly. Adverts and ebay users aren't hiding anything, they just want more money that RRP cuz they know they can get it and people can decide that or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Got a refund today from XV for a pre-order as I managed to get one from HMV. XV could not process a refund back onto the credit card I paid with. They gave me €500 cash. Staff were pleasant to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Got a refund today from XV for a pre-order as I managed to get one from HMV. XV could not process a refund back onto the credit card I paid with. They gave me €500 cash. Staff were pleasant to deal with.

Staff is just the messenger and they will get a lot of abuse. It's not like it was their idea in the first place, it all came in from upper management, but hey, who will take all the heat? Staff.

Still though, if I would in such position and forced to get a game I don't need, then I would put up a show myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

As a staff member, I can tell you this is NOTHING to do with Microsoft. Absolutely 100% NOTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's funny.
    People are selling xbox one consoles for €650 on adverts.ie and it's met with remarks that these people are greedy.

€900 asking price at the mo.

http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/new-xbox-one-500gb-day-one-edition-console-with-forza-motorsport-5/4289056#comment_20978187

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Wow what a scummy thing to do. That's really gonna win future purchases. Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

As a staff member, I can tell you this is NOTHING to do with Microsoft. Absolutely 100% NOTHING.

What kind of a day did you have today? Guessing there was a fair bit of abuse :eek:

What kind of a day did you have today? Guessing there was a fair bit of abuse :eek:

Today was fine because we had no consoles for sale. I am not looking forward to next Friday though. Believe me, nothing will change their minds about this ridiculous rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I don't really blame them TBH. Companies like Xtra Vision make next to nothing on console sales then make a profit on games and accessories. If I ran Xtra Vision and came onto boards.ie and saw people boasting about how they plan to buy the console at Xtra Vision then buy everything else online I'd be very unhappy, that's a profit loss.
    People only have themselves to blame on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I don't really blame them TBH. Companies like Xtra Vision make next to nothing on console sales then make a profit on games and accessories. If I ran Xtra Vision and came onto boards.ie and saw people boasting about how they plan to buy the console at Xtra Vision then buy everything else online I'd be very unhappy, that's a profit loss.

:confused::confused::confused:

If companies like Xtravision cannot attract customers other than using underhanded tactics then they are not going to last very long.
    If they had of used their imagination they could have used more pro active tactics and promotions rather then blackmail! We are doing THEM a service by spending our money at their stores and WE deserve their respect!

Absolute nonsense. Christ, it's ridiculous how fast people are to defend underhanded and disgusting policies by big businesses. Look if Xtravision offered a decent bundle or knocked 10 euro off a game then you'd find people buying a lot more from them. But to expect people who have paid off close to 600 euro for a console and a game to have to fork out an additional 70 euro before they get their goods is daylight robbery. I love to support local businesses but if I can get something online for half what my local Xtravision wants, well I'm always going to pick the online option.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's not Xtravisions business where or how people buy a game after the fact. also Xtravision do tradeins, that's pure profit for them and none of the money sold on 2nd hand games goes to the game developer, they don't seem them whinging about profit there.

It's te equivalent of renting you a dvd but refusing to give it to you until you spent a tenner more on sweets with it before you can leave the shop, it's utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

krudler wrote: »

It's te equivalent of renting you a dvd but refusing to give it to you until you spent a tenner more on sweets with it before you can leave the shop, it's utter nonsense.

but people buy sweets for cheaper elsewhere so they only have themselves to blame :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Only xtra Vision can make gamestop look reasonable when it comes to prices and marketing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As others have said, pure nonsense. What XV have done is implemented this idea to screw over customers, lied to them by saying it was Microsoft's orders, and whatever profit they make by doing this, they'll lose a lot more in the future as it'll put a lot of people off buying from them again. In days where their business is on the ropes anyway, they're now f*cking over customers.

Regardless of if or where customers have said they're buying games elsewhere, that is no excuse to engage in this sort of behaviour. The damage this has and will do to XV... they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

You can't force someone to shop at your store. They're acting in completely bad faith. Fair enough if they said it at the very start that they will be only selling the consoles as part of a bundle. However, phoning people when they've already put up their hard earned cash and saying "hold on there... pay up or take your money back" is completely wrong.

It's coming from the suits in XV?

Funny how they have refused to answer anyone on facebook. It's like the comments aren't there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It can't be coming from MS considering they haven't given the same order to any other company... anywhere. Not even in the UK or US, I don't remember hearing of any similar circumstances. And it definitely can't be coming from MS if staff have already been saying that the same thing will be happening next weekend when the PS4 is released. Microsoft and Sony both coming together to make only one chain in the world implement these measures... I fail to see how XV thought they could try and pass that off as the excuse. Shows the level of contempt head office have for gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    It's coming from the suits in XV?

Funny how they have refused to answer anyone on facebook. It's like the comments aren't there :rolleyes:

What do you expect? Surely they know now that the whole thing is a PR disaster. They must think that gamers are stupid and that the demand for the console would allow them to make such a move. It's disgraceful and they're going to bury their heads in the sand over this. As usual it'll be blamed on some lesser manager and the real culprit will remain within the company.

I feel sorry for the XV staff. What a mess this is. I imagine that they have burned a lot of bridges with gamers with this move. It's hard to believe that a struggling company would make such a stupid move to alienate themselves out of the market further.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Removing information

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

€900 is taking the piss alright.

But the seller will make money. Someone offered €650. Already a €150 profit if they accept and i'm sure as Christmas comes closer, providing its still hard to get a console in shops, someone would offer more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

While I fully sympathise with the OP and think its a shady practice and certainly not upfront or honest, however, am I missing something here? GameStop did this to me in 2006 with the wii

Smyths told me the other day that I MUST buy the knack bundle for PS4 next week at a €40 extra cost. No consoles only are being sold, even though it was only a console I put a deposit on. If I argue and take a stand, it's ME who loses as I've probably no chance of a PS4 for Christmas. Young children dont understand either. Pressure to get a console means retailers will chance it more and hope people will pony up

So, it's not just XV and it's being done a long time!

XV deserve to be called up on it yes, but the whole lot of them need to be called to account. Singling XV out and driving custom to other retailers is not going to stop the practice. NCA needs to protect us on this

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Bought a Blu ray with a MASSIVE 9.99 sticker on it, they charged me 10.99€ and said I could return it if I came back when the manager was in, but no way I'd be getting the €1

Red Crow wrote: »
    What do you expect? Surely they know now that the whole thing is a PR disaster. They must think that gamers are stupid and that the demand for the console would allow them to make such a move. It's disgraceful and they're going to bury their heads in the sand over this. As usual it'll be blamed on some lesser manager and the real culprit will remain within the company.

I feel sorry for the XV staff. What a mess this is. I imagine that they have burned a lot of bridges with gamers with this move. It's hard to believe that a struggling company would make such a stupid move to alienate themselves out of the market further.

Saying nothing is worse that telling people that you're not making any adjustments to the policy. There's nothing more infuriating than talking to someone who won't listen.

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Bought a Blu ray with a MASSIVE 9.99 sticker on it, they charged me 10.99€ and said I could return it if I came back when the manager was in, but no way I'd be getting the €1

That's a bit of a different story. A price sticker is an invitation to purchase and isn't binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus, really feel bad for anyone who went to get their console and couldnt afford an extra game (console is expensive enough and maybe already ordered a, game online) and was just refused. Surely putting a preorder for a console entitles you to just that. Hope someone sues the absolute balls off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a different story. A price sticker is an invitation to purchase and isn't binding.

True but they are meant to acknowledge the change pre-purchase, they didn't. But personally believe it was done on purpose.

• Advertisement

I work there myself. I only found out about it today. Asked the manager whats the plan if a customer refuses. I was simply told to offer a refund on the pre book and ring next in line. I had one customer understandably flip out at me over it as he didnt have the extra 65quid to pay for a game.

I was told that the company make little to no profit on a console and that the accessories are where they make money. We have instore documentation that tells us to try sell an extra controller or power pack too.

No idea if its being planned with the PS4. The manager hadn't a clue.

I have spoke to our dm about it, it will be the same with the ps4 next week.

Advertisement