Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

But, and I'm not being funny, I have to laugh at someone claiming they can't afford the extra €70. You're buying a brand new console for what, €500-600, somehow I don't think you're struggling.

That's awful logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

what if xtra vision went bust now and you havn't got your refund yet,then the crap would hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Fair enough to all of the above, I didn't think from the perspective of people having to save.

I think it's madness though to leave yourself in a situation where buying a console will leave you broke or "stretched". I'm sure I'll be investing in a PS4 down the line but only when I feel comfortable that forking out €400-600 won't break me.

I see your point. The fact that the console isnt backward compatible it is forcing people to buy a game or two at launch. For people stretched i think the ps4 is a great idea with the ps plus wait for the a pack that has a vita with it and your getting four games a month or about 15 every three months while it is 15 extra euro it is better than pay 60 or 120 euro on a few games in one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's awful logic.
    I was only thinking from my own perspective.

As I said, I'll be buying a PS4, but only when I'm happy that I have the €4/500 for the console and the additional €200 for two or three games.

Maybe I'm being tight but I wouldn't be comfortable buying a console if buying one left me with little disposable income left. You don't know what life will throw at you so I prefer to operate with decent cash reserves. :)

Anyway, I don't want to get away from the main point being that Xtra Vision have behaved absolutely disgracefully, and I in no way condone their behaviour (which as others have pointed out, will be a nightmare for staff).

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Wouldn't you be buying a game for your new console anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As I said earlier, this idea of holding people to ransom disgusts me.

But, and I'm not being funny, I have to laugh at someone claiming they can't afford the extra €70. You're buying a brand new console for what, €500-600, somehow I don't think you're struggling.

There's a big difference between stolling in and dropping 500 quid on a console willy nilly and paying one off over 5-6 months like a lot of people have. That's what annoying about this, they'll be in short supply, Xtravision know this and screwing people, there's no way to reasonably argue the Xtravision side of it.

Even if you did pay the 60 or 70 and traded it right back there and then you'd probably lost 20-30 euro off what you just paid for it. and Xtravision will make more money reselling it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Eoin247 wrote: »

What about the mother buying it for little johnny for Christmas? The mother who will buy the console this week and a game in a few weeks time when she can afford it?

That's the reality of the situation here. Now she is being forced by people like me to either buy a game or go without the console, despite the fact she has already paid €500 on her pre ordered console. It's a disgrace.

Eoin247 wrote: »

There's Forza Or FIFA free, then Killer Instinct is sort of free. But if you've already pre-ordered a game, people were saying you have to get another one on top of that, too. Also, some people might be getting a gift of a game from elsewhere, and paying for the console themselves.

Either way, this is a bad way to do business, not announcing their 'bundle' idea until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

What about the people who have been putting €20/30 on it every week?

I am dreading work on Friday, it's going to be a disaster. I wish more people realised that getting pissy at staff won't change it.
    Just out of interest, what would be the consequences to yourself and your colleagues if you were to ignore Managment and just give out the paid for consoles? Would it even be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You at the very least need to buy the rechargeable battery pack with the console as the 2 Duracell provided didn't even last me 10% through Ryse. Realistically the xbox one is going to set you back around €600 to €650 by the time you've an extra controller and disc based game.
    I'm more concerned about when extra vision are going to start renting games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I have started a thread on this topic in the Legal Discussion forum. The guys on there are very good, so their responses will be worth reading. But note that you cannot ask for specific legal advice.

Also are you allowed tell customers that you don't agree with your companies policy? Just to ease at least some of the tension at the til.

I feel for you guys behind the tills much as the people who get held up at them.

Just out of interest, what would be the conequences to yourself and your coleauges if you were to ignore Managment and just give out the paid for consoles? Would it even be possible?

It's as simple as scanning the xbox out. I'd imagine an alarm would go off instantly in head office and a phone call would be received fairly quickly.

As much as I disagree with the procedure and have expressed this to my manager I can't afford to lose a job at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

why not ask for a refund on the game and then purchase the game on the spot so he can buy the console? Might be missing something but I'm guessing he could do that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow so if they preordered and paid off a seperate game, they still have to buy a 2nd game there and then?

I'll edit this to save my job, just in case :)
    Wait, can the console be bought in installments?

Wait, can the console be bought in installments?

Yep, power brick first, then hdmi cable, controller then finally the console itself. Have to get the HDD separate though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

I have always bought new gen consoles on day one but not this time but I will purchase the Xbox One before Christmas I will make a point of going to xv asking for the console only and will walk away if asked to purchase a game I will also close my account if they try to force me to buy a game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Wow,
    How do they think this is legal?
    Anybody that has paid the preorder by credit card should get onto the credit card company and tell them to get the money back,
    Those guys don't mess about.
    As with any preorder or deposit or similar allways use your credit card.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Wow so if they preordered and paid off a seperate game, they still have to buy a 2nd game there and then?

That's what a couple of people have said. That's the bit that shocked me the most, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's what a couple of people have said. That's the bit that shocked me the most, I think.

Yeah....' Thanks for choosing to shop with us....now buy more stuff or we will ruin your christmas'

What about the people who have been putting €20/30 on it every week?

I am dreading work on Friday, it's going to be a disaster. I wish more people realised that getting pissy at staff won't change it.

Genuinely feel bad for the staff, I've been at the end of idiotic management decisions in retail, and console launches are always a high pressure time. The words "pink Nintendo DS" still give me the fear.

krudler wrote: »
    Genuinely feel bad for the staff, I've been at the end of idiotic management decisions in retail, and console launches are always a high pressure time. The words "pink Nintendo DS" still give me the fear.
    Anyone with half a brain should know that it's not the fault of shop staff, so hopefully people won't get too much abuse.

krudler wrote: »

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that one :)
    I've been through Ds, Wii, 360, ps3 and psp launches with different companies and I've never come across something like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've a feeling things will get much worse on Friday. How long before some nut is pissed off buying reason and starts throwing stuff? This is bound to happen somewhere. Really bad form XV, I feel really bad for the staff in all of this.

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that one :)
    I've been through Ds, Wii, 360, ps3 and psp launches with different companies and I've never come across something like this before.

We genuinely got about 20-30 calls a day asking for a pink DS with Nintendogs at one time, it was insane. And the thing was we had a rake of the other colours, and the bundle was actually cheaper, but nope, had to be pink.
    XBOX,PS2, Gamecube, DS, PSP, 360 and Wii for me, left before the PS3 launch. Was around for initial launch of the Wii left about a week later when I got another job. That was awful, people going nuts because they couldn't get one.

worst was the 360 launch, we were told we'd get a lot more in that we wound up getting so I had to ring a load of people and got dog's abuse off most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

No-one can be forced to purchase something they wish not to purchase. Extra-Vision are breaking Irish consumer law and they would really want to be careful here as this will get them in a lot of trouble.

I would advise all of you to visit your local national consumer agency personally and have them deal with this flouting of consumer law. Don't ring them, go into them and explain it to them.

I find this stance from Xtra-Vision to be a damaging one for their business.

Also, Xtra-Visions policy is null & void, as Irish consumers rights vastly out-way any policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

You shouldn't been calling your employers policy bull**** in public and especially on the internet no matter how much you disagree. It would be a sackable offence and as far as I'm aware if extra vision pushed it they can get boards to hand over user data, just be careful.

Wait, so your saying boards.ie can legally just give up a users real details just like that ?.....

zenno wrote: »
    No-one can be forced to purchase something they wish not to purchase. Extra-Vision are breaking Irish consumer law and they would really want to be careful here as this will get them in a lot of trouble.

I would advise all of you to visit your local national consumer agency personally and have them deal with this flouting of consumer law. Don't ring them, go into them and explain it to them.

I find this stance from Xtra-Vision to be a damaging one for their business.

Also, Xtra-Visions policy is null & void, as Irish consumers rights vastly out-way any policy.

That's the thing, store policy doesn't override consumer law, otherwise stores could just do what they wanted and get away with it, which is exactly what XV seem to think they can do.

I've found them generally ok for games and prices and bought a few things in there over the years, some decent sales but won't be shopping there any time soon if at all anymore.

Being a gamer and having a decent bricks and mortar store who won't try utterly screw you price wise is a rarity these days.

• Advertisement

I can understand the margin excuse from a business P.O.V but for the love of god, don't pass your problem on to the consumer.

All it will do is alienate a massive chunk of your customer base. Gamers really are the wrong group of people to annoy, the threads on boards and reddit prove this.

Advertisement