Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I haven't read this entire thread, but did see a brief mention of this already. Game tried the same at the launch if the Xbox 360. I recall they had to back down from this after a day or so because of the backlash online. I recall picking up that console as a pre-order and then strolling down to HMV to pick up the games as they were a fiver cheaper down there. But it looks like XV are not going to back down!

Idiots. Was really pleased to see them back but if this is how they plan on doing their business, my pleasure will be short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very stupid of them, they obviously mustn't connect poor business practices with going out of business.

Buy local my hole, both xtra vision and HMV can Foff back to their zombie graves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'll tell you this though. If Xtra-Vision headquarters was forwarded to this, and other related threads in regards to this problem mentioned, I'm sure they would not be happy at all, especially observing the view stats of 14,535 views relating to the problem.
    These people viewing this thread will obviously not see Xtra-Vision in a good light, and also, this is what a company or business does not want to see. They better move fast on this, and put their customers at ease regarding the escalation of this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I had intended to pick up some Christmas gifts (ipod dock, blue tooth speaker, movies) in xtravision as the local store is 10 minutes away. Based on this despicable stunt and bully-boy tactic I've just ordered what I need from Amazon.

The only time I'll darken the door of xtravision/hmv will be to gloat when the go belly up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Online is where it is at from here on out for me when it comes to buying games and movies. Some stupid short sighted gob****e made this decision completely ignoring the long term effect. I feel sorry for the Xtravision staff who are forced to push this nonsense onto customer who have already payed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Xtra vision should have been a bit smarter about this. Of course they want you to buy a game with the console but instead of forcing it give a special offer. i.e. buy a game at that time of purchase and receive 10 gift card for purchases over 50 euro or something.

forcing people like what they are doing is really bad business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

lertsnim wrote: »
    Online is where it is at from here on out for me when it comes to buying games and movies. Some stupid short sighted gob****e made this decision completely ignoring the long term effect. I feel sorry for the Xtravision staff who are forced to push this nonsense onto customer who have already payed.

Indeed. The employees are just trying to do their job as best they can, and obviously this has nothing to do with them, it's the heads at the top that have to roll. I wouldn't at all like to see an employee of Xtra-Vision getting abuse as it is out of their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

The really annoying thing is we(the staff) were perfectly able to upsell additional items without this stupid policy.
    In fact alot of people who bought the console just assumed we were upselling like anywhere else would and that's how we tried to push it, only one customer, I believe, actually had an issue as everyone else was perfectly fine to buy extra games or controllers or charge packs.

So the company would have made their money without losing good will by just letting us do what we normally do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

M.Byrne wrote: »
    I can't understand why they've done this because who buys a console without a game anyway?

Some people had games already bought from elsewhere or others may prefer to buy games on Xbox Live only and just needed the console.

what they did here was crazy considering their weak footing. They're dead after Christmas, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭xploderz

Gonna see about cancelling and refunding my pre-order tomorrow if this is true, never getting a cent of my money in future if this is true. I don't get it though, the forza bundle is same price as console without game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Anyone got some good links for buying ps4 games and links for buying DVD's apart from ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

I haven't been in an Xtra Vision in years, because I buy exclusively online these days. I'm glad I don't have to put up with this ****, I genuinely sympathise with you guys.

If profits on consoles are so low, why didn't Xtra Vision add an extra 10 or so onto the price of the console?

Thats what they are effectively trying to do.

Microsoft and Sony are setting the retail price globally on their consoles so if a store was to mark them up they will lose the support of the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyone got some good links for buying ps4 games and links for buying DVD's apart from ebay

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Killinator wrote: »
    The really annoying thing is we(the staff) were perfectly able to upsell additional items without this stupid policy.
    In fact alot of people who bought the console just assumed we were upselling like anywhere else would and that's how we tried to push it, only one customer, I believe, actually had an issue as everyone else was perfectly fine to buy extra games or controllers or charge packs.

So the company would have made their money without losing good will by just letting us do what we normally do!

Exactly! given the option a lot of people would add stuff in, it works out being better value for an extra game or controller or whatever if it's something you're going to wind up buying anyway. So forcing people to do this makes zero sense.

I never had a bother selling bundles in retail, once you said to people well the console is X amount but for 50 more you get this and this most would go ah yeah go on so. Especially around launches where people want as much new stuff as possible for stocking fillers or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Thanks Xenji

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

xtra vision staff posting here... Given the 7 day refund policy, is there anything stopping someone buying the game to get their console then immediately getting a refund on them game?

Check the UKprice comparison sites like http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/cl/1422/Playstation-4-Games

Also with checking Tesco and Argos for local pricing.

Xtravision are not only insisting people buy a game with the consoles,they are forcing people who preordered to buy an extra game. This is not what the customers agreed to when they originally ordered. What is worse is if you preordered a console plus a game you now must pay for a second game before they'll fulfill your order. Disgusting behaviour. A petrol station doesn't insisit I buy a car wash before they allow me to buy petrol.

I'm sharing this thread and informing family, friends and colleagues of the underhand practicies. Hopefully enough people will take their custom elsewhere and boycott HMV/xtravision.

Blaming Microsoft is nothing but an attempt to shift blame. How likely Microsoft would do this last week and Sony the same this week? And not put the same restrictions on any other retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Xenji wrote: »
    Got mine from VGC, were only €45 each.

Never ordered from them what are their delivery times like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

COYVB wrote: »
    xtra vision staff posting here... Given the 7 day refund policy, is there anything stopping someone buying the game to get their console then immediately getting a refund on them game?
    I'd like to hear the answer to this too. Also, did anyone try this on Friday with any of you?

I truly don't envy the position that you have all been put in.

COYVB wrote: »

Does the store policy cover change of mind? Cos you're not entitled to a refund for returning something you buy then decide you don't want. Unless the store have that policy otherwise they'd just give you a credit note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Tippex wrote: »
    Never ordered from them what are their delivery times like?

Have ordered lots of stuff from them, it usually arrives in 7 days, the longest has been 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

krudler wrote: »
    Does the store policy cover change of mind? Cos you're not entitled to a refund for returning something you buy then decide you don't want. Unless the store have that policy otherwise they'd just give you a credit note.

In these circumstances you usually get a credit note/voucher if it's unwanted.

I don't know of anyone attempting an immediate return and although I'd be willing to do it(returns policy would seem to allow it) I'm sure it would raise a red flag pretty fast and the geniuses up top would be on to the manager faster than you can say "bs policy"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cooling off period would apply if buying online. This would allow you to return the unwanted item.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What baffles me is why the powers that be in Xtra-Vision can't see the long term effects this is going to have. I get the feeling that they know XV is going down, and they want to make as much as possible before the inevitable happens, so they don't care for image. If i had pre-ordered with them, i would be so pissed off as i'm one of those who wouldn't have been able to afford an additional game. I wouldn't have pre-ordered with them anyway, but still. Scandalous carry on. Feel sorry for the staff.

The only thing i'll buy off them now is the popcorn (bagged and home cooked just ain't the same!).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wasn't going to buy an xbox, but xtra vision won't get any business from me this Christmas (I usually spend a bit there). What they are doing is sneaky, I want to buy from a place I trust not one that holds customers to ransom. How did they think they would get away with a stunt like this? Its pr madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I finding this fairly funny being honest LoL

Like ok they made you buy another game but being honest with your self how many would have gotting another game with there Xbox anyway ?. Like I know for a fact if I was got a Xbox one last Friday from xtra vision I would have picked up another game with the Xbox anyway as really what the hell are you going to do with just FIFA ?

Like I am getting my PS4 from GameStop online and wasint able to get a killzone blundle but I went and got killzone for the grand total of 5 euros more online so I could not care less. What's 5 euros if you 400 euros for a games console whats 5 euros to you ?.

I just find this to be some of the funnyist over reaction ever to something quite stupid.

And I find your post one of the "funnyist" cases of a person missing the point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Like ok they made you buy another game but being honest with your self how many would have gotting another game with there Xbox anyway ?. Like I know for a fact if I was got a Xbox one last Friday from xtra vision I would have picked up another game with the Xbox anyway as really what the hell are you going to do with just FIFA ?

Like I am getting my PS4 from GameStop online and wasint able to get a killzone blundle but I went and got killzone for the grand total of 5 euros more online so I could not care less. What's 5 euros if you 400 euros for a games console whats 5 euros to you ?.

I just find this to be some of the funnyist over reaction ever to something quite stupid.

I find this comment quite stupid being honest.

What if you'd preordered the console from Xtravision and already bought all the games/accessories you want elsewhere?

Hilarious indeed!

It's not 5 euros, its 60-70. There's a dozen reasons people might not buy another game there and then, waiting until payday, bought it online, will download it from the online store, expecting a present, buying it for a kid etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Being honest with yous I would have just got another game there and then as like there is always another game that you might have wonted ?

But like,what if you don't like....wont another game?

Advertisement