Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This might have been done in good intentions from Xtra Vision, i know that a few of my friends when they were younger got a ps2/ps3/xbox360 for christmas but didn't have a game because the parents didn't know they needed to buy the games for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

krudler wrote: »
    Does the store policy cover change of mind? Cos you're not entitled to a refund for returning something you buy then decide you don't want. Unless the store have that policy otherwise they'd just give you a credit note.
    From the Xtra Vision terms and conditions found here: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/terms-and-conditions

7. RETURNS

We hope you will be happy with your purchase but should you wish to return any product

1. within the 7 working day cancellation period (as set out in paragraph 6,above), for any reason,

So you can return it, within 7 days unopened, for ANY reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

This might have been done in good intentions from Xtra Vision, i know that a few of my friends when they were younger got a ps2/ps3/xbox360 for christmas but didn't have a game because the parents didn't know they needed to buy the games for it

Big difference in advising a parent that the console they are buying does not include a game and telling a person they can't collect their preorder unless they also buy a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shut the front door

Being honest with yous I would have just got another game there and then as like there is always another game that you might have wonted ?

Really? Like really??? :rolleyes:

It's the being held to ransom and being forced to buy something that has everyone annoyed. Not everyone has the €400 - €500 on tap, some have saved hard or are like the previous poster said buying it for a present with the kids Aunts and Uncles buying games for presents. If I pre order a console in XV I want the console, but being made to buy games as well it just sh1tty.

But I think perhaps you are just a troll trying to irk people on here who have been done out of money and treated like crap by a company that went under only to come back and then treat loyal customers like this.

COYVB wrote: »
    From the Xtra Vision terms and conditions found here: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/terms-and-conditions

7. RETURNS

We hope you will be happy with your purchase but should you wish to return any product

1. within the 7 working day cancellation period (as set out in paragraph 6,above), for any reason,

So you can return it, within 7 days unopened, for ANY reason

That may just be their online policy actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I don't know any adult ants....never mind kid ants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Being honest with you going to say something bad here but you you dont have the 500 euros in your bank acc for backup do you really have the money in the 1st place to buy it ?.

When you say kids ants and uncles can you not just get the money of them for the game that you had to buy if they where planing on getting a game for them in the 1st place ?

I'm not sure whether you're trolling or English isn't your first language but I'll try a simple example for you:

You phone a pizza delivery company and order a large pizza.
    The delivery guy arrives at your house with the pizza but also insists you buy a 2 litre bottle of cola from him before he hands over the pizza.

It is irrelevant how much money you have, it is the principle of them forcing you to buy an extra item.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Being honest with you going to say something bad here but you you dont have the 500 euros in your bank acc for backup do you really have the money in the 1st place to buy it ?.

When you say kids ants and uncles can you not just get the money of them for the game that you had to buy if they where planing on getting a game for them in the 1st place ?

If you like being bent over and taken for a ride that's fine with me but i don't condone this action not because of finance reasons but bad business practices like this are bad for consumers like you and me.

You only have to look at gamestop and how they changed their whole pricing policy once HMV died the first time. If you allow this kind of thing go unchecked long-term your screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

You phone a pizza delivery company and order a large pizza.
    The delivery guy arrives at your house with the pizza but also insists you buy a 2 litre bottle of cola from him before he hands over the pizza.

Or worse, you've ordered your pizza and a 2 litre bottle of club orange to go with it, so you've no need of the cola, but the delivery guy still insists that you buy the cola that you don't even want or you get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

you drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Calhoun wrote: »
    If you like being bent over and taken for a ride that's fine with me but i don't condone this action not because of finance reasons but bad business practices like this are bad for consumers like you and me.

You only have to look at gamestop and how they changed their whole pricing policy once HMV died the first time. If you allow this kind of thing go unchecked long-term your screwed.

bertstare-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2177.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

My friend was able to pick up a day one console today in XV as the person who pre-ordered it didn't collect it within 48 hours.

They made no effort to make him purchase extra games or accessories along with it, they just asked if he wanted any games with it. He did buy games with it, but again they made no statement of needing to buy them at all. That may have only applied to those pre-ordering the console, but either way XV really do suck for what they did, however chances are, my friend was only able to his console because they did, so he isn't that angry with them.

There was only one there, just in case anyone is thinking of checking. Possibly the only console left in Dublin that didn't require a pre-order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Being honest with you, are you young enough by any chance? Would explain a lot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it friendly, folks, no need to be sniping at other posters. Back on topic please. Report a post if you have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shut the front door

Tell you what, go think about the 'bad' thing you want to say to me and come back to me on it.

It's not about if I have the money to buy it or not, that's none of your business. It's the principle but if you can't get that there is no help for you.

And as for it being cash in the till at the end of the day, I have worked in retail and I know how the gig works but like the XV employee who stated that they can upsell without the HQ mandate, that's how you get the cash in the till, being good at your job, respecting the consumer and having some form of principals so the consumer comes back time and time again because they get the service they want with the product they want without having their wallet emptied the second they walk in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's some real clownboxes on Boards sometimes.

Anyone who thinks this is a fine thing to do needs to watch this scene in Fargo again.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gwc4UizUc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

This is a semi necessary commercial decision which has been made an absolute bags of PR wise.

Fact is that the profit margins on the consoles are laughable and most here would not believe it. If someone pays with a credit card you could be looking at making €10 on a console. Bundle in a game or an extra controller at the price points Xtravision are charging would get about the same profit again. I also know for a fact some of the supply chain coming through 3rd party distributors does have forced bundles like must buy controller with each console.

All that said the best way to handle that would have been to build pre order bundles and only offer them. If you take a deposit based on a price / stand alone console offering then it's incredibly foolish and short sighted to force the extra purchase as is being reported here. I don't know what they were thinking of when they elected to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This is a semi necessary commercial decision which has been made an absolute bags of PR wise.

Fact is that the profit margins on the consoles are laughable and most here would not believe it. If someone pays with a credit card you could be looking at making €10 on a console. Bundle in a game or an extra controller at the price points Xtravision are charging would get about the same profit again. I also know for a fact some of the supply chain coming through 3rd party distributors does have forced bundles like must buy controller with each console.

All that said the best way to handle that would have been to build pre order bundles and only offer them. If you take a deposit based on a price / stand alone console offering then it's incredibly foolish and short sighted to force the extra purchase as is being reported here. I don't know what they were thinking of when they elected to do this.

Indeed and thinking about it, i don't know about most here but i would more than likely buy a game and at least a second controller on the day i purchase. A bundle deal would have sweetened the deal with me or some sort of money off and i would have bought it there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I finding this fairly funny being honest LoL

Like ok they made you buy another game but being honest with your self how many would have gotting another game with there Xbox anyway ?. Like I know for a fact if I was got a Xbox one last Friday from xtra vision I would have picked up another game with the Xbox anyway as really what the hell are you going to do with just FIFA ?

Like I am getting my PS4 from GameStop online and wasint able to get a killzone blundle but I went and got killzone for the grand total of 5 euros more online so I could not care less. What's 5 euros if you 400 euros for a games console whats 5 euros to you ?.

I just find this to be some of the funnyist over reaction ever to something quite stupid.

With that comment above, I am going to stick my head into a large bowel of milked cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Just got to deal with it. I used to do the same in my old job as well as its all about the cash in the till at the end of the day

When the cash is being pinched from my wallet then I certainly do not feel that I have to just "deal with it".

Cash in the till requires customers through the door. Something XV are going to lose unless they get their act together. I think I may buy some popcorn somewhere else and head down to my local XV to observe how this plays out for the PS4 launch day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Honestly how many posting here caved in to these demands and bought their Xboxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Butsymarc

This seems like an act of a company that knows it wont be here after Christmas and are trying to get every last penny before they go bust. If they are holding your 500 euro i would get that back asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Go into the shop with your pre order receipt and ask for YOUR console that YOU paid for. If they start all the BS about having to buy a game just refuse and ask for the console that you paid for. If they keep insisting you must buy a game then ask for the manager. This is the stage I would either start filming or if you are not comfortable doing that then most phones have aa voice recording function.

When the manager arrives you ask for the console you have paid for, if he refuses then ask him why XtraVision are refusing to honour a contract that they made. Stay calm and keep asking for your console, keep the manager there and keep asking why ExtraVision are trying to rip you off. If someone else comes I to the shop start explaining loudly to them what stunt ExtraVision is trying to pull.

At this stage you may be asked to leave the store, personally I wouldn't leave but be aware that you could now be considered to be trespassing and therefore liable to prosecution. If you leave the store stand outside and tell people going into the store what has happened. The police may be called but you are not doing anything illegal. If police arrive explain to them what has happened. It worked for this guy in the UK.

http://kotaku.com/a-guy-had-to-protest-outside-a-blockbuster-to-get-a-ps4-1459160805

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's Xtravision not Extravision, never understand why people add the bloody E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

bumper234 wrote: »
    At this stage you may be asked to leave the store, personally I wouldn't leave but be aware that you could now be considered to be trespassing and therefore liable to prosecution. If you leave the store stand outside and tell people going into the store what has happened. The police may be called but you are not doing anything illegal. If police arrive explain to them what has happened. It worked for this guy in the UK.

Woah! That's a pretty big conclusion you came up with there! Liable to prosecution for trespassing? Really? OT anyhow, but most definitely incorrect. Please share your source of info on that

Anyway, the criminals are the games shops. From my experience recently, they're all as bad as each other. If I want my PS4 this week, I also have to buy a game I don't want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Woah! That's a pretty big conclusion you came up with there! Liable to prosecution for trespassing? Really? OT anyhow, but most definitely incorrect. Please share your source of info on that

Anyway, the criminals are the games shops. From my experience recently, they're all as bad as each other. If I want my PS4 this week, I also have to buy a game I don't want

Erm I am on your side. What I was saying is you "May" be trespassing. I am not a guard nor a solicitor so I am not entirely sure but I believe if you are asked to leave a premises and refuse then you are technically trespassing. I only say this as a heads up because some people may not want to risk crossing a certain line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Is it ExtraVision on both sides of the border doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

its all about the cash in the till at the end of the day

"Cash in the till" at the expense of consumer goodwill is very short sighted.

It's Xtravision not Extravision, never understand why people add the bloody E.

Autocorrect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

bumper234 wrote: »
    Go into the shop with your pre order receipt and ask for YOUR console that YOU paid for. If they start all the BS about having to buy a game just refuse and ask for the console that you paid for. If they keep insisting you must buy a game then ask for the manager. This is the stage I would either start filming or if you are not comfortable doing that then most phones have aa voice recording function.

When the manager arrives you ask for the console you have paid for, if he refuses then ask him why XtraVision are refusing to honour a contract that they made. Stay calm and keep asking for your console, keep the manager there and keep asking why ExtraVision are trying to rip you off. If someone else comes I to the shop start explaining loudly to them what stunt ExtraVision is trying to pull.

http://kotaku.com/a-guy-had-to-protest-outside-a-blockbuster-to-get-a-ps4-1459160805

I am for people standing your ground where they are trying to force you to buy a game when it was non the basis of the deposit, or in some cases people paying in full. In the article you linked the guy changed his mind plus it is in the UK. It appears to be a case of good will going on the article you link. Certain think where people are getting bullied by xtra vision they should stand their ground. If you and a friend have both paid for your consoles in advance, go in together to collect and if all you want is your console. Keep pressing them, "I want my console" "You have my €400" "I will have my console now" "I don't want a game" etc

Advertisement