Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Everyone should be filling this out.

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/contact-form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Clearly no point complaining to xtra vision, if they cared they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Someone should put Microsoft's feet in the fire. If XV staff are on record claiming this is ms policy, and it's not then they're lying, and if I were ms' lawyers I wouldn't look too kindly on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If I argue and take a stand, it's ME who loses as I've probably no chance of a PS4 for Christmas. Young children dont understand either. Pressure to get a console means retailers will chance it more and hope people will pony up

"Sorry kids, but Santa couldn't get [insert whatever here] in time for Christmas."

That's what I got told on a couple of occasions as a young lad and it didn't do me any harm. You'll pick one up in January without any hassle if it comes to that, and the kids might just have a bit more appreciation for how "difficult" it was for Santa to get them an XBox One.

In any case; appalling behaviour by Xtra Vision, and I'm quite glad I haven't passed any custom to them in years if this is the carry-on they resort to. Very much an act of bad faith on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jasus, that's low from xtravision. Even if you preordered a game they're doing it? The sad thing is, if you don't take your peorder, you know someone else will. Just remember this next time you're deciding where to get a game.

Lemming wrote: »
    "Sorry kids, but Santa couldn't get [insert whatever here] in time for Christmas."

That's what I got told on a couple of occasions as a young lad and it didn't do me any harm. You'll pick one up in January without any hassle if it comes to that, and the kids might just have a bit more appreciation for how "difficult" it was for Santa to get them an XBox One.

In any case; appalling behaviour by Xtra Vision, and I'm quite glad I haven't passed any custom to them in years if this is the carry-on they resort to. Very much an act of bad faith on their part.

It clearly did :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

While I fully sympathise with the OP and think its a shady practice and certainly not upfront or honest, however, am I missing something here? GameStop did this to me in 2006 with the wii

Smyths told me the other day that I MUST buy the knack bundle for PS4 next week at a €40 extra cost. No consoles only are being sold, even though it was only a console I put a deposit on. If I argue and take a stand, it's ME who loses as I've probably no chance of a PS4 for Christmas. Young children dont understand either. Pressure to get a console means retailers will chance it more and hope people will pony up

So, it's not just XV and it's being done a long time!

XV deserve to be called up on it yes, but the whole lot of them need to be called to account. Singling XV out and driving custom to other retailers is not going to stop the practice. NCA needs to protect us on this
    That's a bit different from what xv is doing. Even if you were to get the knack bundle in XV you would still be forced to buy another game on top of that.

The most probable reason why smyths told you that is because all of the stand alone consoles are most probably sold out.

I pre ordered not long after E3 and was called by smyths a few months back about the bundles. I was told that as stock was limited I had to choose which console I wanted at launch. I was given the choice of the console by itself for 399 or one of the bundles.

When did you pre order?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That's a bit different from what xv is doing. Even if you were to get the knack bundle in XV you would still be forced to buy another game on top of that.

The most probable reason why smyths told you that is because all of the stand alone consoles are most probably sold out.

I pre ordered not long after E3 and was called by smyths a few months back about the bundles. I was told that as stock was limited I had to choose which console I wanted at launch. I was given the choice of the console by itself for 399 or one of the bundles.

When did you pre order?

I had a standalone console preordered and I had to switch to a bundle to get it at launch. Preordered start of august, a little different but not much, still have to take a knack of all games. I'll be in there tomorrow to switch to a different game if I can at least get a game I'd be buying anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Clearly no point complaining to xtra vision, if they cared they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Someone should put Microsoft's feet in the fire. If XV staff are on record claiming this is ms policy, and it's not then they're lying, and if I were ms' lawyers I wouldn't look too kindly on it...

It's clearly not Microsoft policy. It's just xtra vision chancing their arms because they know people want it for Christmas .

I still don't see how they wouldn't give you a console if it was paid for in full.
    Tht would be like buying a car and then the dealer not giving it to you unless you buy alloys are something . Stupid to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This has probably been said before, but surely if they've taken payment for the item already, that's their acceptance of your offer. That's the cornerstone of a consumer contract. To withhold the goods at such a point is in contravention with consumer law.

What can you do though? You can't go to the SCC for compensation for something they wouldn't sell you, can you? An organised boycott is possibly the best bet but you know a decent amount of people won't care as they had planned on getting a separate game anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its really mind boggling. Simply games tried to pull this **** in UK a d they were shud down faster then they could say "ah bollox".
    Extravison played it smart and kept it silent up until launch. I wonder could anyone try to write to Totalbiscuit maybe? He would memtion it on his daily show and then clearly MS and PS4 would pay some attention. It would spread the word anyway about extravision and their bull**** policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I had a standalone console preordered and I had to switch to a bundle to get it at launch. Preordered start of august, a little different but not much, still have to take a knack of all games. I'll be in there tomorrow to switch to a different game if I can at least get a game I'd be buying anyway

I had a stand alone console ordered as well. at the time though and even in august Sony hadn't yet announced bundles so Smyths could only put every one down for a stand alone console.

Afaik the pre order list goes from top to bottom, so the people who pre ordered the earliest will have been given the choice of console or bundle before people who pre ordered at a later date.

In your case all of the stand alone consoles must of been allocated to the people that pre ordered before you and all that was left over was knack. Nothing really that Smyths could of done about that to be fair.

You probably can still get a stand alone console for 399 but not at launch.

The knack bundle is an official sony bundle afaik so I'm not sure if you will be able to swap the game for another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Matt Cooper had a piece about the Xbox One on The Last Word on Friday, including a senior Microsoft rep on the show, might be worth tweeting this to his Twitter account tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

While I fully sympathise with the OP and think its a shady practice and certainly not upfront or honest, however, am I missing something here? GameStop did this to me in 2006 with the wii

Smyths told me the other day that I MUST buy the knack bundle for PS4 next week at a €40 extra cost. No consoles only are being sold, even though it was only a console I put a deposit on. If I argue and take a stand, it's ME who loses as I've probably no chance of a PS4 for Christmas. Young children dont understand either. Pressure to get a console means retailers will chance it more and hope people will pony up

So, it's not just XV and it's being done a long time!

XV deserve to be called up on it yes, but the whole lot of them need to be called to account. Singling XV out and driving custom to other retailers is not going to stop the practice. NCA needs to protect us on this
    Hey you know what you could get those kids instead?

A 3DS.
    AND one of these:
    127340_L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

If it was me id go to the counter give them.my receipt when they ask what game id just say fifa or what ever
    before you give them the cash for the game ask them can you see the console you have your own bag when they put it on the counter with your paid for bundle
    id just grap what ever you have paid for to make sure your understanding the transaction play stupid say thanks very much and just walk away
    fook them

Smyths told me the other day that I MUST buy the knack bundle for PS4 next week at a €40 extra cost. No consoles only are being sold, even though it was only a console I put a deposit on.

From what I understand, Smyths are only getting so much of each console or bundle in and as such those that ordered the earliest get first preference. Heard from one friend that when they rang him they told him he had the choice of the Knack bundle or nothing. He assumed they were screwing him over but in fact it was a case that his preorder was way down the list and he was simply getting what they had left.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

alot of the business in this country can get by with good customer relations and building a relationship so you will return again,with the state the country is in, ****ing over customers is the last thing you would want to do.I wouldn't give them another penny if I was any one who put down a deposit,take back your money and give it to game-stop or smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't think I'll ever be shopping in XtraVision again. Not even for a crusty old ex rental copy of Mrs. Doubtfire for the Kris Kindle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after reading this I will never set foot inside an Xtravision store ever again, told all friends and family about this too and they all agree this is shocking behaviour from a store and they wont be going into XV ever again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Everyone should report to consumer affairs

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/contact-form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I have the story up on N4G please comment to help build traction and get the story out there to help fellow gamers

http://n4g.com/news/1400226/xtra-vision-hmv-holding-xbox-one-pre-orders

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I lost all interest in supporting xtravision and HMV months ago.

They started attacking gamestop with these "gamers beware" ads on Facebook. it was pathetic that they were taking strips out if their main rival when they had none of their own sh!t in order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

#boycottxtravision anyone?? ;)

I gave up buying from this shower years ago.

Disgraceful behaviour and I hope they stop limping around and are put out of their misery after Christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I haven't been in an Xtra Vision in years, because I buy exclusively online these days. I'm glad I don't have to put up with this ****, I genuinely sympathise with you guys.

If profits on consoles are so low, why didn't Xtra Vision add an extra 10 or so onto the price of the console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Aside from the fact that XV have made a scummy decision, I feel so, so sorry for the sales staff. They're the people who will have to take abuse from irate customers, when it's not their fault, nothing to do with them, and they have no control.

Having worked in retail and sales for years, I feel nothing but sympathy for the sales assistants. They're not paid enough to put up with the abuse they're going to get.

As an aside - I did not have a console ordered, I'm waiting til the New Year when I can afford one, but I will never shop in XV again. I usually buy loads of stuff there, but will never set foot in the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I work there myself. I only found out about it today. Asked the manager whats the plan if a customer refuses. I was simply told to offer a refund on the pre book and ring next in line. I had one customer understandably flip out at me over it as he didnt have the extra 65quid to pay for a game.

I was told that the company make little to no profit on a console and that the accessories are where they make money. We have instore documentation that tells us to try sell an extra controller or power pack too.

No idea if its being planned with the PS4. The manager hadn't a clue.

As I said earlier, this idea of holding people to ransom disgusts me.

But, and I'm not being funny, I have to laugh at someone claiming they can't afford the extra €70. You're buying a brand new console for what, €500-600, somehow I don't think you're struggling.

But, and I'm not being funny, I have to laugh at someone claiming they can't afford the extra €70. You're buying a brand new console for what, €500-600, somehow I don't think you're struggling.

Who said anything about struggling? My boyfriend has the play station pre-ordered and paid for in Game Stop, and he won't be able to afford games for it til about a week after he gets the console.

It's a pretty realistic situation.

Or parents could be buying it for their kids for Christmas and have a deal that a relative will buy a game as the kid's present so that they can play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

What about the people who have had to save their guts out for the console that extra 70 euro is something that just cant be stretched to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

What about the people who have been putting €20/30 on it every week?

I am dreading work on Friday, it's going to be a disaster. I wish more people realised that getting pissy at staff won't change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A €500-600 they had likely been saving up for months to buy something they really want. An extra €70 they wouldn't have budgeted for to buy something they don't want, in order to get the thing they already paid for which they do want.

This close to Christmas, €70 is a lot of money. Money which people may struggle to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Who said anything about struggling? My boyfriend has the play station pre-ordered and paid for in Game Stop, and he won't be able to afford games for it til about a week after he gets the console.

It's a pretty realistic situation.

Or parents could be buying it for their kids for Christmas and have a deal that a relative will buy a game as the kid's present so that they can play it.
    What about the people who have had to save their guts out for the console that extra 70 euro is something that just cant be stretched to.
    What about the people who have been putting €20/30 on it every week?

I am dreading work on Friday, it's going to be a disaster. I wish more people realised that getting pissy at staff won't change it.

Fair enough to all of the above, I didn't think from the perspective of people having to save.

I think it's madness though to leave yourself in a situation where buying a console will leave you broke or "stretched". I'm sure I'll be investing in a PS4 down the line but only when I feel comfortable that forking out €400-600 won't break me.

• Advertisement

Paying for the console won't necessarily leave you stretched, but that extra seventy euro could.

I haven't bought one yet as I can't afford it. But, I have enough money to see me comfortably through til my next pay day, and if I'd already saved and paid for the x box, I'd be in the same position as I'd have paid it off already. But an extra seventy euro coming out of my purse? That would cripple me financially for the rest of the month.

Advertisement