Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

The problem is that the demand for both consoles is substantially more than supply. Xtravision will have no problem selling off any refunded orders. Parents will happily pay for the game if it means the console is sitting beneath the tree on December 25.

Sad but true.....

Taking money elsewhere is the only answer really... They went under once and by god with practice like this it won't be long before it happens again...

That part I can't understand is that they know there is competiton out there and this will alienate their market, business wise its counter productive in the long run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Unless it's faulty the best you'll get is store credit. I once bought something in there and before I'd got my change my girlfriend ran over to tell me she had just bought the same Blu-Ray as a surprise for me not a minute previously. Guy in the store refused to refund my money and insisted on a credit note only.

Their terms & conditions say otherwise. Once it's opened you can return for a refund within 7 days

7. RETURNS

We hope you will be happy with your purchase but should you wish to return any product

1. within the 7 working day cancellation period (as set out in paragraph 6,above), for any reason, or
    2. within 30 days of dispatch to you if the items are damaged when delivered, defective or faulty,

please contact Xtra-vision Customer Care here and you return the relevant product to us in accordance with the returns processes set out below, we will either refund the cost of the relevant product to you or, if appropriate, replace or repair the relevant product. We may not accept a return where the reason for the return is your misuse of the product. This does not affect your statutory rights.

Returns process: All products

1. If you wish to return a product within the periods set out above, please inform us that you wish to do so. If you wish to return a product because it is faulty, arrived damaged, or was sent to you in error, please let us know at that time.

2. You will then be provided with a returns reference number, and instructions on how and where to return the relevant product to us. You will be responsible for the costs of returning the relevant product to us – this does not affect your statutory rights if you wish to return a product that is faulty, arrived damaged or was sent to you in error.

3. Please send the relevant product to the notified address and marked with the reference number we provide to you as soon as is possible and, in any event, in time to be received by us within 30 days of your cancellation notice. We recommend that you obtain proof of postage for all returned products as we are not responsible for the non-delivery of products to Us.

4. You are required to take reasonable care of products that you wish to return at all times. Please ensure all products are returned in undamaged and original packaging, with all parts and manuals.

5. Products bought from the Site cannot be returned to an Xtra-vision store.

COYVB wrote: »
    Their terms & conditions say otherwise. Once it's opened you can return for a refund within 7 days

Good luck with that. The mere fact that they have changed the terms and conditions of preorders shows how little they care about some words on paper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Have xv never heard of a contract? They entered into one when they sold the pre orders and took the money. They are now in breach by changing the terms. The console is new and you need games to play it is the biggest load of bull I've heard. 'I use it as a media center why would I need games?' Why would I have to buy games from xv and why would I ever come back to xv again?

If anyone was to take a small claims case they wouldn't be long getting their console. I would also say to contact the consumer rights crowd and xv would prob be sanctioned. There would prob have to be more than one complaint though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Money talks.

Cancel your preorder. Demand your money back.
    Every 2 refunds is a grand out of their pocket, even if only 10 consumers get angry it might make a big enough dip for them to notice.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Money talks.

Cancel your preorder. Demand your money back.
    Every 2 refunds is a grand out of their pocket, even if only 10 consumers get angry it might make a big enough dip for them to notice.

It'll be no loss at all for them, because they'll still sell the console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

some one needs to give joe duffy a bell monday morning:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

HMV are the same crowd so why don't they have this?

Does this mean that it's someone higher up in XV rather than the parent company.

two companies owned by the same parents are not necessarily run the same way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was just in XV there. I asked if they were doing the same thing for PS4 next week, he said he didn't know, that it was a Microsoft direction that they (the staff, not head office) only learned of a day or two ago. I said Microsoft have stated it wasn't them. He said that's what he was told, that it was a decision by Microsoft to sell more games.

When I pointed out that no other stores like Gamestop or Smyths, and seemingly no other store in any other country were given the same direction from Microsoft, he said XV has a partnership with Microsoft. I asked if they had the same type of partnership with Sony, and he hesitated for a bit and said no.

As it stands, I haven't changed my order yet (console fully paid, two games preordered with a tenner each on them). Going to go back in on Thursday when they should know if the same thing is happening. If it is, then I'm cancelling the preorders on both games, and will buy one game with my console on Friday. My sisters are also going to be getting me a voucher for XV for my birthday in a few weeks. I'll be getting them to switch it to a Gamestop one, where I'll buy the rest of my games and accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There is no point asking staff about it, you've have a better chance learning about agriculture's place in Ireland's current economy from a cow.

Or more specifically in XV's case a headless chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The staff are probably told to spin whatever bullsh1t head office has told them so it's not their fault, nobody manning a counter in a store has done this so no point complaining to them, the XV facebook page is full of people ranting and not one of them have been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a refund. Xtravisions policy when it comes to large amounts like this is to get head office to send out a cheque so people will be waiting a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Any pre-order terms and conditions?
    Wondering if they had some subject to change line in there they're basing this move on.

It's a cr*py move by Xtravision as they know some people will spend the extra to get the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Has there been any response at all from Xtravision? It never ceases to amaze me how Irish people have tolerated this treatment so many times before but NOW it has to STOP.

60 plus for a Game is big bucks to me and probably most of ye all now so we cannot afford to be treated this way any longer. Lets make an exsample of these companies and buy elsewhere, we deserve better treatment than this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

COYVB wrote: »
    Just found it on their site, problem solved:

RETURNS
    You can return any item to us for a refund as long as it is in its original packaging within 7 days of you receiving your order or within 30 days of dispatch to you if the item(s) are damaged when delivered, defective or faulty.

*edited for link*

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/returns

I would suggest people going to do this print off that page and bring it with them

So print it off and purchase the additional item and immediately after the transaction tell them you want to return the additional item (that would piss the staff off something terrible) but might force their hand.

Just as an aside I've been in touch with a journalist who has said they will look into it.

I'm on my way down to the local xtravision to close my account (I haven't been affected by this) but its reprehensible what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Had two friends affected by this, one got in touch with one of Joe Duffys researchers yesterday and they are very interested in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

BTW its not just Xtravision it is also HMV's policy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This crowd are gone after Christmas. I hope the extra games they sold are worth the bad press. Crappy thing to do to people who struggle to give their kids what they want, or to anyone that got held up at the counter, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Haven't bought anything in there in years, <snip>. Is it any wonder more and more people are buying online when your treated like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Had a bad experience with them a couple years back, tried with them again in September and everything went fine so I thought they might be on to something but this is crazy. Won't be back again, made me sign up for a card last time I wanted to trade a game in (not that it bothered me) so I guess they're not going to give up on this strategy of roping you in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure about the legality of it but this practice was rife during the 360 and PS3 launch. I think there was a discussion back then and it was legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Won't be buying anything in there ever again, even if they row back - awful way to treat people, maybe they're going bust again and just looking for a cash grab

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I'll never buy a thing off them again..

This issue doesn't affect me in any way but I find it sickening...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Glad I don't have a pre-order in. Maybe some people with pre-orders could picket a few store or do a sit-in, in front of the registers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, f*cking disgusting behaviour. I was very close to preordering the ps4 with HMV, so glad I didn't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Waste of time store when it comes to anything gaming related, but this takes the cake. Theres no way in hell id leave the store without a console in a situation like this. Bring a cam and record your whole transaction. Threaten them with legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Manach wrote: »
    Not getting into the legal details, but a one-sided changing of the terms of the de-facto sales contract is suspect to say the least. From a business sense, if true then the damage to XV reputation outweights the short-term gain.

Exactly. Think of it like this. Most people who have viewed this topic will most likely never use xv again. And then we will most likely tell friends and family whowill also never use XV again. Then you have social media spreading the word.

Their rivals will be delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It'ss weird, Xtravision wentout of their way to compete with Gamestop in the last few months dragging GS into the mud int their ad campaigns. Yeah, people won't have a choice if they wangt a console before Christmas but you can be sure as $hit people won't forget this. I know most companies will be getting very very little profit from selling consoles so they are pushing games.

Advertisement