Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

So the spec bump is fantastic for the price but the two initial worries are:

- Same battery on a larger screen - potential poor battery life
    - Poor camera quality again

Regardless I think I'm going to pick this up, for my sanity I need to get a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Baxtardo wrote: »

Regardless I think I'm going to pick this up, for my sanity I need to get a new phone.

It isn't 4G compatible either, might be a deal-breaker for some ..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Nono Toure wrote: »
    It isn't 4G compatible either, might be a deal-breaker for some ..

True, they are still selling the previous gen 4G model for the time being. Personally, I use my phone for basic web stuff so 3G is fine for me for the time being. It is strange to have dropped the feature on the update though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

True, they are still selling the previous gen 4G model for the time being. Personally, I use my phone for basic web stuff so 3G is fine for me for the time being. It is strange to have dropped the feature on the update though.

Ya, it doesn't make sense to drop the 4G alright. It doesn't bother me either way because I'm happy enough with 3G as opposed to paying Vodafone more to upgrade to a 4G service. But nonetheless it might put some off buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

All phones should be 4g as standard in this day and age. Tbh I'm not impressed at all with the specs and I'm not gone on the grey button below the screen. If I were buying a moto g I'd still definitely go for the 1st generation 4g model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, looks like a number bump. Battery capacity and camera quality are very important for a lot of people more so than specs I'd say, particularly in this price range. Still great value for money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

It seems that they are. It says LTE on the side of the box in case you're looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    All phones should be 4g as standard in this day and age. Tbh I'm not impressed at all with the specs and I'm not gone on the grey button below the screen. If I were buying a moto g I'd still definitely go for the 1st generation 4g model.

Its not a button, their front firing speakers.

beno619 wrote: »
    Its not a button, their front firing speakers.

Oh! Will have to look at it closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

New version released; 5" screen, dual-sim, 8M camera, micro-sd, but no 4G (yet):

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/05/motorolas-next-generation-moto-g-stretches-to-a-5in-screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Clove have it up for £149 I'd expect tesco and CPW soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

No 4G kills it for me. I was looking forward to getting a 4G connection. I'll wait for the 4G variant to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The 4G will come eventually, it's hard to create a phone with such good specifications for the same (still ridiculously) cheap price of €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

daytob wrote: »

And on Amazon now.

Shipping in about a week (September 12, 2014)

They really should have made the speakers blend in with the colour of the phone. Hopefully they do this on the 4g version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    They really should have made the speakers blend in with the colour of the phone. Hopefully they do this on the 4g version.

More annoying is that none of the sellers seem to agree on a product name

Clove call it Moto G "2nd Gen/2014 Edition" and Amazon "Motorola 5 inch Moto G "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

loyatemu wrote: »
    New version released; 5" screen, dual-sim, 8M camera, micro-sd, but no 4G (yet):

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/05/motorolas-next-generation-moto-g-stretches-to-a-5in-screen
    Bolded that bit case people miss it. Bigger screen but same resolution so it's actually worse aswell. 5" to big.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bolded that bit case people miss it. Bigger screen but same resolution so it's actually worse aswell. 5" to big.

Avoid.
    5" too big, but 4.5" OK? Would one really notice the 'worse' resolution? And how much bigger is the body anyway? Such a slight increase in screen size could easily be accommodated in the same size chassis, and I can't see Lenovo messing with the chassis of this model.

I agree with you on the no 4G, but this (and every Moto G) is/was aimed at emerging markets, where 4G is not any kind of issue.

So, should people wait for the Moto G2a with 4G (with the crap 5" screen), or buy the current brilliant (for the price) one now?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Seems to be coming in at much the same price point (£141 plus Parcel Motel)...
    http://www.kikatek.com/P496344/SM3926AE7B1-MOTOROLA-SM3926AE7B1-Motorola
    (courtesy of HUKD)

I wouldn't be rushing to jump, either. But it might lead to further price drops on the "older" models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Does anybody know whether US moto G2s will work here? I see there is some difference in the UMTS bands (see link). What does that mean for running the phone here?

Thanks,

http://m.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2014-specs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is the New Moto G not 4G compatible?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just bought one of these today, amazing phone. Didn't think you could buy something like this for under 250!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Just bought one of these today, amazing phone. Didn't think you could buy something like this for under 250!

Where did you get it? How much did you pay?

Anywhere I look online its expensive due to shipping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Esel wrote: »
    5" too big, but 4.5" OK? Would one really notice the 'worse' resolution? And how much bigger is the body anyway? Such a slight increase in screen size could easily be accommodated in the same size chassis, and I can't see Lenovo messing with the chassis of this model.

If it's their first smartphone or they're upgrading from something like a GS3 mini it'll look amazing. For anyone that has used the 4.5' version, yeah, I'd imagine they'd notice. The jump isn't actually capable of being accommodated in the same chasis, it means a 20% larger screen. The max the same chasis could accomodate given the same ratio would be about 4.7 inches, which is exactly what the Moto X is.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Ya, it doesn't make sense to drop the 4G alright.
    Their biggest markets are India and Brazil. It very much makes sense. They'll sort out 4G for us first world economies soon enough I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Is the New Moto G not 4G compatible?

Nope, but I've seen people suggest a 4G version will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

TempAc wrote: »
    If it's their first smartphone or they're upgrading from something like a GS3 mini it'll look amazing. For anyone that has used the 4.5' version, yeah, I'd imagine they'd notice. The jump isn't actually capable of being accommodated in the same chasis, it means a 20% larger screen. The max the same chasis could accomodate given the same ratio would be about 4.7 inches, which is exactly what the Moto X is.

4.7" would be optimal, imv.

I don't like this 5" screen, with worse resolution....it just seems like a lost opportunity to me.

I have no doubt it will be extremely popular though, given the price point.

I think their market is not those who already have the Moto g.....

I would prefer the Moto g 4G, in it's present inception, also for the SD External Storage, and probably this will be my path.

I see the 2nd gen also has expandable storage, via MicroSD, which has to be a big plus for certain users.

I thought a big minus was the Battery, still the same as the original G, but not so apparently, according to Expert Reviews:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/android-phones/1401248/motorola-new-moto-g-moto-g2-review
    Battery life is excellent. In our continuous video playback test, the new Moto G's 2,070mAh battery lasted 9 hours and 39 minutes with the screen set the half brightness. This beats the original Moto G by about 30 minutes, so we were pleased to see the larger screen didn't take its toll on the phone's battery life. It doesn't quite match the 4G Moto G, which lasted another hour under the same conditions, but this is still an excellent result for a phone of this price and the new Moto G should be able to keep you going all day before you need to recharge it.

I think I'm convincing myself to change now, so I'll stop. :D

This is an excellent buy, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

4G isn't worth a damn so long as the networks are charging so much for data. Will continue using wifi on my 3g.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Where did you get it? How much did you pay?

Anywhere I look online its expensive due to shipping :(

179.99 in the Meteor store in Wexford. I don't know much about phones really but I'd swear it was worth twice the price, so I didn't worry too much about getting it in the cheapest place possible.

Advertisement