Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

179.99 in the Meteor store in Wexford. I don't know much about phones really but I'd swear it was worth twice the price, so I didn't worry too much about getting it in the cheapest place possible.

You got the Moto G with the 5 inch display or the 4.5 inch?

If you got the 5inch one, is it dual sim and sim free or locked?

Sorry for all the questions :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You got the Moto G with the 5 inch display or the 4.5 inch?

If you got the 5inch one, is it dual sim and sim free or locked?

Sorry for all the questions :)

4.5 inch, not dual sim and locked AFAIK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

4.7" would be optimal, imv.

I don't like this 5" screen, with worse resolution....it just seems like a lost opportunity to me.

I have no doubt it will be extremely popular though, given the price point.

I think their market is not those who already have the Moto g.....

I would prefer the Moto g 4G, in it's present inception, also for the SD External Storage, and probably this will be my path.

I see the 2nd gen also has expandable storage, via MicroSD, which has to be a big plus for certain users.

I thought a big minus was the Battery, still the same as the original G, but not so apparently, according to Expert Reviews:

I think I'm convincing myself to change now, so I'll stop. :D

This is an excellent buy, no doubt.
    Honestly I'm waiting for the old Moto X to get widespread price cuts as stock gets dumped, 4.7 inch screen, 4G, handsfree voice control, smaller phone than the Moto G 4.5 inch model. I'll pick one up soon.

I wouldn't trust expertreviews, there was no prelim hardware given to press, so they couldn't have put too much time into testing. Also video playback at "half brightness" isn't scientifically reliable because of different screens. Having said that, I'd say the battery life has improved, though the G already has excellent battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Barely get 3g in the West of Ireland never mind 4g!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

New updates: Assist got Driving and Home features.

I don't have a car so I can't comment on Driving feature. The home feature....well, the only text I've gotten so far, I was sort of worrying over and the whole listen popup was annoying....I'll keep it on and see what it's like when I'm not communicating with a lost drunk teenager driving me crazy....

I wish the home feature let you disable automatic phone locking while at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

This was officially announced the other day along with the moto 360 and new moto x.

I just ordered mine today from the UK. Hopefully get it early in the week.

Anyone else buying one?

If and when you do opinions on new device can be posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ezra_pound wrote: »
    This was officially announced the other day along with the moto 360 and new moto x.

I just ordered mine today from the UK. Hopefully get it early in the week.

Anyone else buying one?

If and when you do opinions on new device can be posted here.

Ordered one as well, they claim to ship Monday/Tuesday so should have it before the end of the week. Seems to be dual sim as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Ordered one as well, they claim to ship Monday/Tuesday so should have it before the end of the week. Seems to be dual sim as well.

Where did you buy?

I'm almost certain I saw in specs that this is not ***dual sim***, but I could be wrong, I'll check where I saw that and get back.

**EDIT**

I'm wrong, you are correct, it is dual sim!!

Apologies

http://www.handtec.co.uk/motorola-moto-g-2nd-gen-5-inch-dual-sim-smartphone-xt1068.html

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

Also interested on where you bought them, been waiting the last couple of days for amazon to start selling them but no luck so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

KoA-Ollie wrote: »
    Also interested on where you bought them, been waiting the last couple of days for amazon to start selling them but no luck so far!

This crowd have them in stock, spotted on Hukd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

ya saw a few in uk and was thinking of ordering through parcel motel, but afraid if anything happens the problems i'll have trying to get it fixed if its under warranty!

I got mine on expansys.co.uk and used parcel motel. Was more expensive than that deal but cheaper than Amazon.

I ordered today.

Will be interesting to see who gets it first.

http://m.expansys.com/mp.aspx?i=265662

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NBSZ56C/ref=gp_aw_ybh_l_2?pi=SL500_SR253%2C500&refRID=1MQVSPZH3K6ZRJHDJCHY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Does anybody know if Moto G 4G from Meteor is branded with Meteor logos, etc? Any branding at all? Or does it look stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Moto G 4G from Meteor is branded with Meteor logos, etc? Any branding at all? Or does it look stock?

No branding at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Got it on Amazon, but the seller i bought off is out of stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

the price wars have started already, still no sign of tesco yet though :D

£137.99 from HUKD
    http://www.morecomputers.com/techdesc.aspx?pn=SM3926AE7B1

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    No branding at all.

Thanks Fresh!

Now the question is... should I risk and get it from Meteor for €170 and risk (for 4G models there is a disclaimer that they can't unlock certain models) the unlock from ebay, or unlocked from Expansys UK for €200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thanks Fresh!

Now the question is... should I risk and get it from Meteor for €170 and risk (for 4G models there is a disclaimer that they can't unlock certain models) the unlock from ebay, or unlocked from Expansys UK for €200?

Get from Meteor but just make sure they don't put a sim in it or it'll be locked to meteor.

If they refuse to sell it to you in the shop without them inserting a sim then go online and buy it from them. No sim inserted upon delivery.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Get from Meteor but just make sure they don't put a sim in it or it'll be locked to meteor.

If they refuse to sell it to you in the shop without them inserting a sim then go online and buy it from them. No sim inserted upon delivery.

I just ordered from Expansys.

Reason being, I read about the phones they sell, they are "EURetailSL", meaning they lock to the sim you insert first. I am on three, so if I put a three sim, it's going to lock to that. The problem is that you won't be able to get it unlocked anymore. Since three won't unlock it, and meteor will send you off too, since you used a different sim.

• Advertisement

I just ordered from Expansys.

Reason being, I read about the phones they sell, they are "EURetailSL", meaning they lock to the sim you insert first. I am on three, so if I put a three sim, it's going to lock to that. The problem is that you won't be able to get it unlocked anymore. Since three won't unlock it, and meteor will send you off too, since you used a different sim.

Wouldnt changing to the stock firmware before putting in the SIM sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

projectgtr wrote: »

Why do you assume he's familiar with doing that?

projectgtr wrote: »

I am not sure, TBH.

Occono wrote: »
    Why do you assume he's familiar with doing that?

Yea, I don't know much about flashing roms yet. So I don't want to bother with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Finally some proper camera samples from the 8MP sensor - looks like a large improvement over the 5MP. Clicky!

I got mine on expansys.co.uk and used parcel motel. Was more expensive than that deal but cheaper than Amazon.

I ordered today.

Hmmm...

I seem to be having issues with this crowd.
    Hopefully gets sorted out promptly. Will report back.

Edit: these issues were sorted out a few hours later. Thanks to the expansys customer care team.

I ordered today.

Ezra, did you do a bank transfer?

I tried my O2 credit card and for the delivery, I gave them the Parcel Motel address for delivery. Today I check the order... the credit card was not accepted and they wanted a bank transfer instead.

Ezra, did you do a bank transfer?

I tried my O2 credit card and for the delivery, I gave them the Parcel Motel address for delivery. Today I check the order... the credit card was not accepted and they wanted a bank transfer instead.

I used PayPal. I'll explain later.

I used PayPal. I'll explain later.

Please do. Cause I thought about using PayPal, but the country cannot be changed in the delivery address. It always shows Ireland.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, that's exactly what my girlfriend is waiting to see. I'd like to see it in low light too though

Advertisement