Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

rowanh wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I heard the Moto G is very buggy, any know if this is still the case? I was thinking about getting one for 170 from hong kong but wasnt sure as returning it would likley be awkward but 170 from meteor sounds great. A lot of the reviews on amazon say at first its spot on but then apps make it crash, lots of hassle with the camera etc, just wondering i these issues have been resolved??

Moto G is not buggy at all - we have 2 in the house and they have preformed amazingly well - on par with stock Nexus 4 phone and just as quick and bug free. I actually dont think I can remember either phone ever crashing or randomly freezing as long as we have them.
    Camera is ok but unless you want to be taking studio type photos then you will be fine. We got some photos printed recently from a Moto G and they are now in frames on the wall at home so they are fine.
    Get it from Meteor as then you can at least return it if there is any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Pass no remarks on people saying the camera isint great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Pretty much back up what everyone else says - phone is terrific, not buggy, processor is very fast, works well, nice screen, great phone. I've also been impressed by the battery life - much better than my iPhone 4 was.

As most people state, camera isn't great. It's the exact same 5mp as the iPhone was but I took a few test shots with both and the iPhone ones look marginally better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is the Meteor 4G one unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I am not sure, but you can buy it unlocked on Amazon UK for £150 which I did, worked out at €183 which is great value for the phone.

Edit - *I am talking about the 16gb 3G version - 4g is an extra 7 pounds*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Monokne wrote: »
    I am not sure, but you can buy it unlocked on Amazon UK for £150 which I did, worked out at €183 which is great value for the phone.

Edit - *I am talking about the 16gb 3G version - 4g is an extra 7 pounds*
    Nah. Meteor will sell you a 4g one for 170 and get it unlocked for €2 online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Nah. Meteor will sell you a 4g one for 170 and get it unlocked for €2 online.

Where'd you get the unlock codes for €2 online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

Pacifico wrote: »
    Is the Meteor 4G one unlocked?

The one my wife bought from them was. They'll try to give you a sim card to go with it - just say it's a present for someone and they have a meteor sim card already and you'll get it for €169.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Where'd you get the unlock codes for €2 online?

Mobile_guy on eBay. He based in Canada. Some people saying it worked, others not as their phone not in the system yet. I had no issues though and have recommended him to friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the replies on the buggyness, sounds good, i think ill pick one up later today, i was thinking id get a nexus 5 but i dont think i need it, im happy enough with my galaxy s2 its just in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Another set of images surfaced, describes the differences, a front view of the phone (albeit with a smashes screen :confused: )
    motorola-moto-g2-vs-moto-g.jpg

motorola-moto-g2-photos-leaked.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Had nearly bought a Moto 4G before I caught wind of this. Speculation that the price point will be in a higher bracket to the G. Can see it getting swallowed up if this is the case, the price to spec ratio of the G is the reason it became so popular. It will be interesting to see how they play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

projectgtr wrote: »
    Another set of images surfaced, describes the differences, a front view of the phone (albeit with a smashes screen :confused: )
    motorola-moto-g2-vs-moto-g.jpg

motorola-moto-g2-photos-leaked.jpg

Hi projectgtr....do you have a link for that latest info and stuff??

I'd be grateful.

Thanx.

***EDIT:

Found some stuff on that hellomotohk G+:

https://plus.google.com/117938278607892985066/posts/CVTERWYkzH8

and later stuff here:

https://plus.google.com/117938278607892985066/posts/UDbDuzmM939

Pics in G+

https://plus.google.com/117938278607892985066/posts/CVTERWYkzH8?pid=6051554984021766002&oid=117938278607892985066

https://plus.google.com/117938278607892985066/posts/UDbDuzmM939?pid=6051750782468163634&oid=117938278607892985066

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'm pretty certain the answer is yes, but I'm looking at picking up a 4g model from Meteor and using it on Three. The guy in the shop told me that it wouldn't work with 4g, but I'm assuming that's just because Meteor doesn't have a 4g plan for PAYG. So anyway, my question is, If I was to buy this from Meteor, unlock it and stick a three sim in will I be able to get 4g?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

5" screen is a nice screen jump. Pitty the rumours suggest its using the same snapdragon 400 chipset and the same 1gb ram. Same adreno 305 GPU too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Currently on the Xperia z1. I wont get another 5" screen unless the body size is much smaller. Far too big IMO. 4.7" or even 4.5" would be better I feel. I have big hands too. 5" screen on a budget phone is going to be a bit of a let down unless it's 1080p or near.

The bigger size may allow for a larger battery though, which would be a boon for those constantly tied to a plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Nolimits wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain the answer is yes, but I'm looking at picking up a 4g model from Meteor and using it on Three. The guy in the shop told me that it wouldn't work with 4g, but I'm assuming that's just because Meteor doesn't have a 4g plan for PAYG. So anyway, my question is, If I was to buy this from Meteor, unlock it and stick a three sim in will I be able to get 4g?

Assuming it's the 4g model then yes it'll work fine. Just don't let him put a meteor sim in it or you'll have to get an unlock code for it before you can use it with a 3 sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Currently on the Xperia z1. I wont get another 5" screen unless the body size is much smaller. Far too big IMO. 4.7" or even 4.5" would be better I feel. I have big hands too. 5" screen on a budget phone is going to be a bit of a let down unless it's 1080p or near.

The bigger size may allow for a larger battery though, which would be a boon for those constantly tied to a plug.

I agree, I had a cursed Samsung S3 previous to the Moto G....Touch Wizz...bloated....unnecessary stuff..and an insane chip!!! which Samsung are reluctant to etc, etc.

I hated it with a vengence!!!

And it's only 4.8 inch....but bigger than I felt necessary.

IMO, the 4.5 is around the optimal in-hand size.

I am so pleased with the Moto G, it's a pleasure, almost totally Stock Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Yep the current Moto G is a pretty nice size, but tbh when i use my Nexus 5 for a while and go back to the Moto G it takes a while to get used to the size drop, the Nexus 5 to me is the perfect sweet spot for chassis size, hence im looking forward to a screen bump, as for the spec im hoping we see a slight bump in CPU/GPU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I agree about the size, the present model is fine and I wouldn't necessarily want a bigger screen. The battery would help, but so would a removable battery then you could just swap batteries on the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

SteM wrote: »
    The one my wife bought from them was. They'll try to give you a sim card to go with it - just say it's a present for someone and they have a meteor sim card already and you'll get it for €169.

I tired two stores (iLac and Henry St) and they refused to sell unless I had a Meteor number to register the handset - otherwise I would have to buy a €10 sim & top-up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I tired two stores (iLac and Henry St) and they refused to sell unless I had a Meteor number to register the handset - otherwise I would have to buy a €10 sim & top-up

Pity, it's a great phone. They obviously know it's unlocked and are cracking down on people buying it to bring straight to other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

SteM wrote: »
    Pity, it's a great phone. They obviously know it's unlocked and are cracking down on people buying it to bring straight to other networks.

Yeah, but that's the thing - essentially then, it's €180 for a new connection. It doesn't actually state that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

If the phone is bought online from meteor.ie will they have inserted a sim card in it making it locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nono Toure wrote: »
    If the phone is bought online from meteor.ie will they have inserted a sim card in it making it locked?
    Nope. The SIM card comes in a separate sealed plastic pouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Farango

I bought one in Meteor, and it is unlocked, there is not need to buy new sim card and top it up, just pick one for free in store and take phone for 169e

and its working perfect with 3 4G network :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nbrdr

Hi guys,
    I got one from Meteor too and it was unlocked! I shrugged all their attempts to up-sell (cases, credit, bill pay, etc), just got a SIM from them which I didn't even use and I paid 169 eur. Great deal!
    When I was about to leave the guy said they are locked to Meteor, as if he knew what I was about to do...
    Anyway, if anyone wants to get their hands right away on Moto G 4G, then Meteor seems to be the best option...

Moto G2 is approaching, I'd hold off and wait for the newer iteration at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mondeo wrote: »
    Moto G2 is approaching, I'd hold off and wait for the newer iteration at this stage.
    Your advice is probably a bit too late for most of the posters this thread...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Your advice is probably a bit too late for most of the posters this thread...

Not for future posters

Advertisement