Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Replacement-LCD-Display-Screen-With-Touch-Digitizer-With-Frame-Assembly-For-Motorola-Moto-

The complete screen and housing assembly seems to be down around the $35 mark now. Replacing the complete assembly makes for the easiest repair.

Thanks for that. I managed to replace it but messed up the glue a bit so the screen is a bit loose. Also the touchscreen sometimes decides to not respond entirely until I lock and unlock the phone. It seems to be a hardware issue with the replacement screen, I'm not all that happy so far! I might purcahse the one you linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Update to my last post: if you use Duolingo and it disables the mic, don't forget about it. I was panicking for a while til I remembered that my pronunciation questions were pissing me off.

Also, any chance of a single post or something at the start to link to cases and accessories and unlocks as it's proving hard to find at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks for that. I managed to replace it but messed up the glue a bit so the screen is a bit loose. Also the touchscreen sometimes decides to not respond entirely until I lock and unlock the phone. It seems to be a hardware issue with the replacement screen, I'm not all that happy so far! I might purcahse the one you linked.

That link doesn't seem to be working......

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Replacement-LCD-Display-Screen-With-Touch-Digitizer-With-Frame-Assembly-For-Motorola-Moto-

I wouldn't mind changing my screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

nc6000 wrote: »

In case another link doesn't work...

aliexpress.com > electronics > consumer electronics > accessories&parts. Search for moto g screen. The screen, digitizer, and front frame assembly are in the $35 - $40 range. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Moto g is €195 in dublin airport t1 dixons if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    Moto g is €195 in dublin airport t1 dixons if anyone is interested

Thats not particularly cheap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Thats not particularly cheap tbh.

Ah right, wasn't sure what they were going for

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

I currently use a plastic cover for the moto g that protects the back and the edges. However, I am finding when I put it in my pocket (usually jeans back pocket) it turns itself on and off regularly during the day using up battery and opening up various apps all by itself. Do any of the flip covers prevent pressing the on button in a pocket?? All advice gratefully received, thanks!

tiegan wrote: »
    I currently use a plastic cover for the moto g that protects the back and the edges. However, I am finding when I put it in my pocket (usually jeans back pocket) it turns itself on and off regularly during the day using up battery and opening up various apps all by itself. Do any of the flip covers prevent pressing the on button in a pocket?? All advice gratefully received, thanks!

I've the Motorola Flip Case and never had the issue you describe. The screen switches on and off when you open and close the case. The only downside is what ever magnet it uses can affect some apps that you can use for tracking walks\runs etc. I had issues with a handy app called Moves but don't want to use that anymore anyway since Facebook bought them.

The magnet is also strong enough to screw up things like car park tickets etc!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Flip-Door-Case-Cover-Black/dp/B00GM87WKK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1408126280&sr=8-7&keywords=moto+g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyone using Chromecast with this phone?

Is it good for Netflix, RTE Player etc?
    If I'm connected through a VPN will it still allow apps to stream?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Just bought one of these bad boys will get my hands on it at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

for those buying screens from china from now on make sure your buying one for the current Moto G, screens for the new unreleased Moto G (or G2 or G+1) have hit chinese sellers. Most will spot it but just worth noting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is tesco online and parcel motel still the best means of getting a moto G folks?
    Wife broke her trust old HTC radar today and wants a new android,one of the chinese manufacturers or the moto G seem the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I recently got one, a Vodafone ready to go from Amazon UK for £99. It's the original 8gb model . It was delivered by an Post, I just chose the free delivery option on Amazon. Got an unlock code on eBay for €2. The OH is very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dcully wrote: »
    Is tesco online and parcel motel still the best means of getting a moto G folks?
    Wife broke her trust old HTC radar today and wants a new android,one of the chinese manufacturers or the moto G seem the best bet.
    Depends if Tesco continue to give 'free' unlock code or not.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

You can get them in meteor payg for 169 if you want it straight away. My wife picked one up on Saturday in the Square, popped her 3 aim in and it worked straight away. No unlocking and no meteor branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

SteM wrote: »
    You can get them in meteor payg for 169 if you want it straight away. My wife picked one up on Saturday in the Square, popped her 3 aim in and it worked straight away. No unlocking and no meteor branding.
    Esel wrote: »
    Depends if Tesco continue to give 'free' unlock code or not.
    Unlock code is about €2 on Ebay

I Just purchased one on Amazon delivered to Ireland cost €125.68 in total. No need for Parcel Motel as its delivered to Ireland. Use the unlock codes from Ebay and it comes in at under €130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Unlock code is about €2 on Ebay

I Just purchased one on Amazon delivered to Ireland cost €125.68 in total. No need for Parcel Motel as its delivered to Ireland. Use the unlock codes from Ebay and it comes in at under €130

Is the Amazon one for €130 4G?
    The Meteor one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

54kroc wrote: »
    The Meteor one is.

Yeah, apples and oranges. No 4g or expandable memory (ultra important in an 8 gig phone for me) in the amazon one for that price.

• Advertisement

54kroc wrote: »
    The Meteor one is.

Nope its the Moto G (as per the original question of 'best means of getting a moto G') not the new Moto G 4G
    The 4G one is available on Amazon and Tesco Direct but looks like Meteor is the best price ATM
    Or maybe have a look at the Moto G 4G Bargain thread here

SteM wrote: »
    Yeah, apples and oranges. No 4g or expandable memory (ultra important in an 8 gig phone for me) in the amazon one for that price.

Not so important for me - 4G coverage is appalling near me and I back up all my photos online and use Google music so I have well over 3GB free at the moment on my phone
    for €130 its a steal and a great phone if storage and 4G are not important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Not so important for me - 4G coverage is appalling near me and I back up all my photos online and use Google music so I have well over 3GB free at the moment on my phone
    for €130 its a steal and a great phone if storage and 4G are not important

Ya i picked up one of amazon (8gb) and got it unlocked for all in around 130 euro. Nice phone

Considering the popularity of the last model im thinking this is going to need its own thread very shortly

The rumour mill is in full swing at the min screen size looks like its been bumped to 5 inch but with the same resolution, its looking like its has dual front facing speakers ala HTC boomsound (top one could be earpiece though ). Only thing im not overly impressed of is the specs sound like they are pretty similar to the Moto G quad core snapdragon 400 and 1Gb of RAM, but with a better 8 megapixel camera.

Take all that with a pinch of salt , as long as it retains the same ethos as the first Moto G ill be a happy camper, the same processor/gpu/RAM sounds wrong to me though i think it needs a little bump, but ill be very happy if they improve the camera as to me it was the only downfall of the Moto G.

Heres the front panel
    1458447_449754635164457_1471685416970694739_n.jpg?oh=be4209c332695a79301ad86baf3ae641&oe=546F1090&__gda__=1417805895_77aaf43d92ac209d8f49c74c99a64846

Oh and save the date, the announcement is for Sept 4th , expect the Moto G2, the 360 and the Moto X1
    motorola-event.jpg?w=620

Latest rumour is a slightly beefed up processor and a possible drop in the original price of the Moto G, im looking forward to this reveal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

LG won't allow for the name G2 I don't think.

Can't wait to see what Motorola unveil.

LG won't allow for the name G2 I don't think.

Can't wait to see what Motorola unveil.

yeah they are kinda stuck, the other name "+1" is taken too, maybe just stick with the old name or would that be too many variants with the same name??

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Hey folks,

I heard the Moto G is very buggy, any know if this is still the case? I was thinking about getting one for 170 from hong kong but wasnt sure as returning it would likley be awkward but 170 from meteor sounds great. A lot of the reviews on amazon say at first its spot on but then apps make it crash, lots of hassle with the camera etc, just wondering i these issues have been resolved??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

rowanh wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I heard the Moto G is very buggy, any know if this is still the case? I was thinking about getting one for 170 from hong kong but wasnt sure as returning it would likley be awkward but 170 from meteor sounds great. A lot of the reviews on amazon say at first its spot on but then apps make it crash, lots of hassle with the camera etc, just wondering i these issues have been resolved??
    I got the wife one last Christmas and it's never crashed or been "buggy".
    Camera is very mediocre but that's the only negative.

• Advertisement

rowanh wrote: »
    Hey folks,

The Moto G isn't "buggy" at all. It's a great phone and you won't possibly get better for the money.

Camera isn't exactly amazing but it's not the worst either.

Advertisement