Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Lads theres already a moto g 2014 thread ;) mods might want to merge, wouldn't like to see it go like the 1+1 where the while feed is taken up by one device :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

projectgtr wrote: »
    Cheers for that, that's exactly what my girlfriend is waiting to see. I'd like to see it in low light too though

That's a HDR setting test, so I'd expect a normal photo to be a wee bit sharper and have no motion blur.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/android-phones/1401248/motorola-new-moto-g-moto-g2-review

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Cheers for that, that's exactly what my girlfriend is waiting to see. I'd like to see it in low light too though
    Me too, waiting for Engadget to fully review it and give us some decent samples - unfortunately it seems to be only big reviews for the X so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Hmmm...

I seem to be having issues with this crowd.
    Hopefully gets sorted out promptly. Will report back.

All issues have been resolved - efficiently sorted out a problem I had this morning. Looking forward to getting phone now. Come on the parcel motel!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

KoA-Ollie wrote: »
    ya saw a few in uk and was thinking of ordering through parcel motel, but afraid if anything happens the problems i'll have trying to get it fixed if its under warranty!

I had an original moto g fixed under warranty from Motorola after I bought it on Amazon.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

It popped up on Pricespy as reduced to €159.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

All issues have been resolved - efficiently sorted out a problem I had this morning. Looking forward to getting phone now. Come on the parcel motel!

Way to go! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Lads theres already a moto g 2014 thread ;) mods might want to merge, wouldn't like to see it go like the 1+1 where the while feed is taken up by one device :D

Good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

oleras wrote: »
    It popped up on Pricespy as reduced to €159.

That looks to be the old 8GB version, no SD slot and no 4G

cruizer101 wrote: »
    That looks to be the old 8GB version, no SD slot and no 4G

Oh, i didn't realise they were still available, i had assumed with the recent upgraded version these were dropping again in price, ex[pandable memory/4G versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I got mine on expansys.co.uk and used parcel motel. Was more expensive than that deal but cheaper than Amazon.

I ordered today.

Will be interesting to see who gets it first.

http://m.expansys.com/mp.aspx?i=265662

Mine is despatched now. Will let you know when it's in my parcel motel locker.

So far ordered sun, dispatched Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

Expansys.is have it now too and its the dual sim model . €193. I think I'll order it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Does anyone know yet which of the phone companies here in Ireland will be selling the 2nd gen. Moto G?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blargh i cant pick a name

Ars Technica have done a review.

(Sorry, boards stopped me posting the link, but google it)

I was very excited about this phone, but it looks like the battery life has gone to **** (Page 2, third chart). I need a microSD slot, so i think I'll just get the old 4G version instead of the 2nd gen.

As above, the link to the Ars Technica review. Overall they say it's "the same phone, same price, basically a nine-month-old phone in a new wrapper."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/review-the-new-moto-g-doesnt-change-much-but-still-a-steal-at-179/

IMG_00221.jpg
    The Good

* Great price.
    * 5-inch screen will please fans of larger phones.
    * Nice, sturdy build quality.
    * Replaceable back allows for easy personalization.
    * Snapdragon 400 and 1GB of RAM still run Android and apps pretty well.
    * Relatively clean, skin-free Android with at least one promised update.
    * Pre-loaded, non-Google apps are generally inoffensive and additive, and they can be continuously updated through Google Play.
    * Camera has improved to "serviceable" from "well, what did you expect for $179?"

The Bad

* No LTE or 42.2Mbps HSDPA cellular data rates and no separate LTE option (or CDMA option) as of this writing.
    * Limited internal storage space, especially in the 8GB version. SD card data management still mostly manual.
    * Removable back doesn't allow for a removable battery.
    * Larger screen with same size battery leads to less battery life.
    * If you preferred the smaller size of the first Moto G, too bad.

The Ugly

* This is basically a nine-month-old phone in a new wrapper.

I moved from a 5" Z1 to a Moto G because I felt 5" was too big - it could have also been the blocky form factor of the Z1. I need to hold / use this first.

All else fails, now might be a great time to get the 2013 version of the Moto X for cheap, always loved the phone but cost too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

I'm happy enough with the camera shots posted in the above review, there is a lack of vibrancy and contrast compared to other camera phones but it looks to be more than good enough for your social media shots. The battery is a bit of a concern alright, would like to see a few other reviews to see what they say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I took this picture with my Moto G yesterday, I'm happy enough with the quality.

I took this picture with my Moto G yesterday, I'm happy enough with the quality.
    Nice, I find outside shots quiet good myself - here's one I took of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

advertsfox wrote: »
    Nice, I find outside shots quiet good myself - here's one I took of my car.

you know the number plate is totally readable??

just for your security and privacy I'd obscure that, if it were me.

you know the number plate is totally readable??

just for your security and privacy I'd obscure that, if it were me.
    No privacy issues here, unless someone wants to know I drive a taxed and NCT'd 1.8 Avensis. It's also been up in the motors section for an age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 blargh i cant pick a name

Just bought the old 4G off meteor. I walked into the store and they tried to charge me €180 instead of the €170 web price so i walked right back out. It should be delivered on thursday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just bought the old 4G off meteor. I walked into the store and they tried to charge me €180 instead of the €170 web price so i walked right back out. It should be delivered on thursday.

The in-shop price is always slightly more expensive than the online price, and has been for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

I had a look at the original 4g today physically for the first time. The screen really is a smacker. I hope the stretch to 5" doesn't lessen the quality too much, but most initial reviews have been saying the lowering of pixel density isn't very noticeable.

The in-shop price is always slightly more expensive than the online price, and has been for years and years.

I got it for 169 instore a few weeks ago, i didn't even have to ask to price match the online price. Must be store dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

advertsfox wrote: »
    No privacy issues here, unless someone wants to know I drive a taxed and NCT'd 1.8 Avensis. It's also been up in the motors section for an age.

OK, sorry, I thought it was inadvertant...

I hope you get a sale :)

OK, sorry, I thought it was inadvertant...

I hope you get a sale :)
    I actually only got it so won't be up for sale anytime soon (I hope) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

In this case, the in-store price of the phone is €169 - but they insist on you getting a Meteor sim (and topping it up by €10)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Is there any word on whether or not the original Moto G will get the Android L update if it comes out in the next month or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads how do I turn pin request off on the moto g?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads how do I turn pin request off on the moto g?

Settings>Security>Screen Lock

Advertisement