Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

Ive decided to pass on upgrading to the G2 since its pretty much the same as my old G bar the screen size. I dont use my phone camera much so I dont care of the slight camera upgrade. Same hardware so what's the point...
    I might go for the newer iteration of X though.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Can anyone suggest a way to improve the headphone volume? I find it a little too low for my liking. I have set the Equalizer to ‘Balanced’ and ‘Off’ (which I’d recommend anyway) but still not loud enough – Moto 4G

Also, anyone with the British Radios App? This stops playing every time I launch another app or open messaging etc – anybody have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

So which bloody Moto G is the best to buy now? the 4g model? Any ideas if and when they will release a 5 inch 4g model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Sounds like the app doesn't support background streaming. Try Tunein. Works great for me.
    A Disgrace wrote: »

Also, anyone with the British Radios App? This stops playing every time I launch another app or open messaging etc – anybody have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

elderlemon wrote: »
    Sounds like the app doesn't support background streaming. Try Tunein. Works great for me.

Yeah, giving that a go now - seems to be a bit of a memory hog, but will see how it pans out - cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Yeah, giving that a go now - seems to be a bit of a memory hog, but will see how it pans out - cheers!

The last release ruined it for me and it was an app I used to love. I've migrated to an app called Radio FM which I prefer now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radio.fmradio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads I'm getting the sim/ruim lock on the phone? How do I get around this I done it before but I can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Getting very poor battery life on 4G model

Any suggestions to improve battery performance.

Dont have wifi on and screen brightness is set to low already!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hey guys i got the original moto g for the wife last Christmas from meteor and it was unlocked until i put her 3 sim into it.
    I'm advising a work colleague to go for the new 4g version from meteor just wondering is it still the same setup with the network lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

de biz wrote: »
    Getting very poor battery life on 4G model

Any suggestions to improve battery performance.

Dont have wifi on and screen brightness is set to low already!

are you in a good 4g area?

post a screenshot of your battery stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hey guys i got the original moto g for the wife last Christmas from meteor and it was unlocked until i put her 3 sim into it.
    I'm advising a work colleague to go for the new 4g version from meteor just wondering is it still the same setup with the network lock.
    Yes, first SIM network that works with the phone automatically locks the phone to that network. My advise if you can is to order it online from Meteor as they include a SIM separate, if you buy in store they will pop in a Meteor SIM for commission reasons.

Fortunately, there is a dozen £2 unlock codes available on eBay, I've used it about 6-7 times at this point and works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

projectgtr wrote: »
    are you in a good 4g area?

post a screenshot of your battery stats

No 4g reception is minimal,usually shows H+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Mine is despatched now. Will let you know when it's in my parcel motel locker.

So far ordered sun, dispatched Mon.

OK so I've got my moto g 2014 and I love it.

It was delivered to parcel motel Tuesday about 3pm. I got it delivered late last night.

So ordered sun delivered wed night.

If you do order off expansys.com - the UK version do NOT try an Irish address. I often do this to decide whether or not to use pm. Only try pm. Trust me.

So far really happy with newer version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

de biz wrote: »
    No 4g reception is minimal,usually shows H+

If you are in a weak area the phone might be constantly switching on and off 4G. Which might be hard on the battery. AFAIK you can usually set which (lower) data rate to stick at to stop it hunting for the best signal. Someone might correct this if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

OK so I've got my moto g 2014 and I love it.

It was delivered to parcel motel Tuesday about 3pm. I got it delivered late last night.

So ordered sun delivered wed night.

If you do order off expansys.com - the UK version do NOT try an Irish address. I often do this to decide whether or not to use pm. Only try pm. Trust me.

So far really happy with newer version.

Do you have the ability to chose 3g on either SIM ... or is it GSM on one and 3g on the other only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Cheapest place to buy the 4g model?

Do you have the ability to chose 3g on either SIM ... or is it GSM on one and 3g on the other only ?

I don't know because I only have one sim.

Click the link to see spec sheet which implies that both sims are 3g.

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/motorola-moto-g-gen-2-1961-vs-lg-google-nexus-5-1115

I can't see anything about it in the phone's manual etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Has anybody got a Moto G screen replaced recently?

Cracked mine today at the gym. The cracked is relatively minor and confined to the upper left hand corner. Everything still works fine, but I'd rather replace it for astethic reasons.

I'd perhaps be willing to try the replacement myself but would drop it in somewhere if it was cheap enough. Any suggestions on this front and any links to sites to buy the replacement LCD?

Edit: It's the original 4.5" screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hi all,

Over the past week my Moto G has given up the ghost, so to speak. I'll outline the problems I've encountered.

It began by not charging until it died (different chargers/laptop connections/combination of cables tried).

It would then charge fully, but began to turn itself off, freeze on the boot screen for up to 15-20 minutes and the screen would become unresponsive to touch when it did turn on.

For the last day or so, it will not charge. It is currently connected to a laptop, and will turn on for a few minutes displaying a charge symbol over the battery icon,but the message to connect a charger still appears on the lock screen. It will then die again and repeat the process.

Even when I bring up the fast boot screen, the charger is not recognised as being connected

I'm wondering if this is a battery issue or software related. I have googled it and there seems to be quite a few Moto G owners who have had the same and similar problems, possibly related to the KitKat 4.4 update.

I have also noticed that the phone has become overheated lately, the screen in particular. It was roasting at times earlier in the week when stuck in a bootloop.

I cannot send it back to Meteor as I cracked the screen back at the start of July, thus voiding the warranty. There is a single crack running across the screen. I don't know if it's played a role in the phone's (non) performance lately, as it was working just fine until last Thursday night.

So to sum up, is anyone here familiar with this issue? Can it be remedied? Is there software available that can deal with this issue, or are there any DIY heads out there that could guide me through fixing it? Like I said, the warranty is already void, so I don't have a problem opening the thing up and poking around. Please advise, as the phone is only 4 months old and I couldn't justify buying a replacement right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Sounds like a problem with the battery all right. I suppose you could replace the battery, but it may not solve your issue. If the phone restarts it could be power related, or RAM/hardware related. To rule out a software problem you could try resetting the phone software to factory default, but I think you may have to dump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

planning on getting the new moto g soon but just wondering whats the story with cases, screen protection etc is there any available at the moment for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

KoA-Ollie wrote: »
    planning on getting the new moto g soon but just wondering whats the story with cases, screen protection etc is there any available at the moment for it?
    Googol might help.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ordered the Moto G 2014 Dual Sim for 186 euros yesterday :)

Plan is to repair the screen on my first gen Moto G and keep it as a backup/sell it.

Fingers crossed it does 3G on both sims :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I've the original G (the OG :pac:) nearly a year now and the OEM flip case. Has been perfect so far and I've dropped the phone a good few times. I'd recommend it.

Would it fit the new moto g though? Most of the accessories i've looked at say they're incompatible because of the size difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Would it fit the new moto g though? Most of the accessories i've looked at say they're incompatible because of the size difference!

No I was referring to their newer one, the older one wouldn't fit obviously. They've brought out the same flip shells for the newer, larger model.

http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/protection-moto-g-gb/Flip-Shells-for-Moto-G-%282nd-Gen.%29/shells-flip-moto-g-gen2.html

ok that looks perfect thanks! any idea when it'll be released for the new moto g?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

ok that looks perfect thanks! any idea when it'll be released for the new moto g?

I think they're available in India from the official launch date (Sep 15), so should be generally available soon. If you add a case to the cart on the Motorola site it will give you the exact part number, easier to search for this.

Ordered the new phone from Amazon, 148 pounds which seems very fair.

OK one issue I have with the new gen 2 2014 moto g is that you can't make your own auto awesome movies on Google photos- at least not yet. It's not on the list of supported devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OK one issue I have with the new gen 2 2014 moto g is that you can't make your own auto awesome movies on Google photos- at least not yet. It's not on the list of supported devices.
    Can you do that on the older models?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement