Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Doge wrote: »
    Install the ES File Explorer App from google play, here

When you are changing ringtones and you select browse you will get an option to browse with ES File Explorer.

Then just go to your SD card and select the mp3.

I can't test it out as I have the old Moto G but i'm pretty sure it will work.

ES File explorer is a very powerful app and its free, I use it almost everyday.

That's brilliant, it worked. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

On Moto G 4G here, is there any way to change the default download location for Chrome? At the moment its saving to internal storage, I'd much prefer if I could download straight to the SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Aspiring wrote: »
    On Moto G 4G here, is there any way to change the default download location for Chrome? At the moment its saving to internal storage, I'd much prefer if I could download straight to the SD.

Only way for chrome is to get a download manager app like ADM from the playstore. When you go to download in something it will popup and let you choose the location. Its a download accelerator too, and shows downloads in categories based in file type.

You should go Into ADM's settings - interface - and enable the exit button.

Otherwise exiting the app is a pain.

An Alternative to chrome is to use the Dolphin Browser which let's you set a download location in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

this might have been asked before, but any know of an arm strap for running that could hold the phone also hold a car key?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Anyone know if the 4g can be unlocked as easy as the 3g version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Stokolan wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 4g can be unlocked as easy as the 3g version?

Yeah,very same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

I bought this yesterday on Meteor. Loving it so far, my only issue is with the camera which is pretty poor.

Pizzle wrote: »
    I bought this yesterday on Meteor. Loving it so far, my only issue is with the camera which is pretty poor.

Did you buy the 4G version or 3G version by any chance?

I'm just curious to know if they have the 4G version available in store, as its on their website now for €170:

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/moto-g

For the price the camera isn't really poor imo, it's what you'd expect for a phone that costs as little as £100.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Did you buy the 4G version or 3G version by any chance?

I'm just curious to know if they have the 4G version available in store, as its on their website now for €170:

For the price the camera isn't really poor imo, it's what you'd expect for a phone that costs as little as £100.

I got the 4G version, was available on pay as you go. I was kinda expecting something a little bit better from the camera but haven't messed around with it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Cheers for the heads up about Meteor. I just picked one up: it was online for €170, the staffer said it was €180 in-store, I told her the online price and she dropped it there and then. It has a meteor sim in it (my mistake) but I'm off to ebay to get it unlocked now. Any recommendations for who to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Unfortunately he says in big red writing DO NOT PURCHASE FOR ANY MOTO 4G HANDSETS that's why i had asked about the unlock earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Lads, you can buy the 4G Moto G version for €170 delivered from Meteor!

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-a...-phones/moto-g

That seems to be the best deal now that the £15 off Tesco code doesn't seem to work any more

I wonder how long its been up?

I only saw it by chance.

The above link is truncated, not working...see link below!!!

It says only 5 left!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Stokolan wrote: »
    Unfortunately he says in big red writing DO NOT PURCHASE FOR ANY MOTO 4G HANDSETS that's why i had asked about the unlock earlier
    Oh, was on phone earlier so just linked to usual fella.

4G Unlock with this fella, much more expensive though, saying that, €20+ is the norm.

Original Moto was cheapest unlock I've ever seen.

The above link is truncated, not working...see link below!!!

It says only 5 left!!!

Just fixed it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Oh, was on phone earlier so just linked to usual fella.

4G Unlock with this fella, much more expensive though, saying that, €20+ is the norm.

Original Moto was cheapest unlock I've ever seen.

:confused:

Jesus do NOT pay £20 for an unlock code. i unlocked my 4G for less than €2!!

This is the fella I used. Took about 20 mins i think.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/261518393470?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Edit: Just noticed that the price has been changed to £499! It was £1.39 when I bought it last month I swear! :pac:

Something wrong with that listing.

Delira wrote: »
    Nice one. I wonder why this didn't appear in my search for it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Delira wrote: »

dunno....not for 4G apparently.....
    MOTO G (XT 1032)

Kindly Do not send Moto G LTE 4G version Iemi in This listing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

I managed to give my moto g a slight crack in the screen last night. Will it take much for someone to repair it?

dunno....not for 4G apparently.....

So strange... The old listing had the 4G listed.

Sorry Stokolan! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Need to get a 4G unlocked from Tesco Uk. Nobody offering the service right now on ebay that actually follow through.

If anyone gets one unlocked in the coming days can they link the service. I'll keep looking also.

I used mobile_guy on ebay and had my Moto G 4g unlocked within 2 hours of buying it from Meteor. I managed to make a hames of the order (I managed to buy two codes...) and when I explained what happened he offered me a refund. I figured I'd spread the word as I think he deserves the business.

Thanks again to the person that said that Meteor were selling them aswell.

Update: Paypal refund arrived as I was typing this.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I occasionally visit Northern Ireland and happened to be in a Tesco in Derry when I dropped my uncased Moto G 16gb smashing its screen (it landed on bottom left corner).

305845.jpg

Anyway I had read about the difficulty of getting the screen repaired so bought a new one there and then. It was locked to Tesco Mobile and the manager told me there was a mobile unlocking place in the shopping centre! They couldn't come close to matching the eBay price for unlocking 15 sterling vs 2 so went with an eBay code.

I managed to track down an Aliexpress seller who had replacement screens for around €50 (price now dropped to €41). The official Motorola repair agents in Ireland quoted me €125!!! I decided to order the screen without the front housing (i.e just LCD/digitizer attached to glass) to save money. I see that there's a seller on Aliexpress now doing the screen & front frame for a very reasonable price €47.56. If this had been available at the time I would have ordered it. It took about a month to arrive - there was a 10 day lead time before shipping which in fairness was made clear by the seller. If this had been available at the time I would have ordered it.

Dissasembling the phone was not too difficult - just need to pay attention to where the ribbon cable hinge latches as they're pretty delicate - I used the youtube guide above. I suspect the phone in the video had been taken apart before as I found that I needed to use considerably more force to remove the battery (it's stuck down with an adhesive pad). The ribbon cable for the screen was also glued down to the motherboard - the thin metal shielding plate (bit with the red marker in the picture below) is actually part of the cable and is stuck to a sticky pad on the motherboard.

305852.jpg

I tore the ribbon cable a bit when I unstuck it but it's integrated into the screen which was busted anyway. Removing the screen from the front housing just involved picking out the broken bits of glass - didn't take too long. It was stuck down with double sided tape which I removed and then cleaned the housing with iso propyl alcohol. I contacted the Aliexpress seller to see if tape was included with the screen - it wasn't but he threw in some for free. While I was waiting for him to reply I went ahead and ordered some 1mm wide double sided tape from eBay (just search for mobile phone tape) - it was only something like €3.50 and there was loads of it. Just as well I odered it as the screen only came with double sided pads for the top and bottom but none for the sides. Better to save yourself the bother and buy the screen with the front frame/housing already attached.

The screen is absolutely perfect and I believe the seller when he said it was an original part.

I see a guy on Aliexpress is now selling the front glass on it's own for €6.46 - obviously only worth considering if your LCD is ok. Unlikely to be gorilla glass at that price though. Presumably the repair would be similar to the one for the Samsung S3 on iFixit - be sure to read the comments and this link too bearing in mind the exact proceedure may be different for the Moto G. If you're not using the phone probably a good idea to see if you can get the glass off without damaging the LCD before you order the glass on it's own. Also would have to check with the seller if he supplies double sided tape too.

All in all a pretty easy fix if you take your time. Certainly a lot less fiddly than say changing an iPhone screen.

When the time comes the battery would be very easy to replace but the cheapest I could find was €41. Judging by the explosion in the number of people selling screens on Aliexpress there seems to be a big market for Moto G parts so hopefully battery prices should fall.

How exactly do I get the screen separate from the front housing? I've done everything in that video, but I still need to take apart the front screen somehow

Quick question: has anyone else got problems with the sound on the 4g version? It has happened twice in the 4 days I've had it that the phone makes no sound at all: no effects or music, and with calls I cant hear anything but the other side hears me perfectly. The first time I removed the SD card and it behaved, the second time I had to turn it off and back on.

I'm on android 4.4.4 but also had the issue with 4.4.3 fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Anyone know of any stores I can buy covers for this phone? Bought one off amazon that disappeared in the post and need it badly, one year old constantly getting her hands on the phone!

Moto G2 coming Sep 10.

Much same spec inside (like WTF?) but bigger screen, better Camera and bigger price.

Lenovo is gonna F-it up.

http://www.neowin.net/news/motorolas-moto-g2-rumoured-to-go-on-sale-starting-september-10

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

How exactly do I get the screen separate from the front housing? I've done everything in that video, but I still need to take apart the front screen somehow

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Replacement-LCD-Display-Screen-With-Touch-Digitizer-With-Frame-Assembly-For-Motorola-Moto-

The complete screen and housing assembly seems to be down around the $35 mark now. Replacing the complete assembly makes for the easiest repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Monokne wrote: »
    Anyone know of any stores I can buy covers for this phone? Bought one off amazon that disappeared in the post and need it badly, one year old constantly getting her hands on the phone!

I recommend the otterbox defender, from www.buyur.co.uk . It protects the whole phone including the screen. It doesn't post to Ireland though, so if you have parcal motel, it would be OK.

And after seeing the post above with the cracked screen, I'm glad I got this one.

Advertisement