Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I stuck one of those on my 4yr+ still going strong Samsung Galaxy Ace, it's still on it. They last just fine if minded, like everything else. Real Leather, not that you'd tell the dif will split/crack, as it's known, they're the false economy.

World Renowned(?), they come with a 1 year warranty and they're built in China aswell anyway. Probably by the same 7 year old in the same Factory actually.

Nothing wrong with the Flap. You've introduced a vulnerability with that wildly expensive case that could cost you the price of a new phone, in the interests of Style.

Or to pay 15+ times the price for the same item cuz it has a name on it.
    Aw shame, sorry I didn't know you were using a Galaxy Ace and that it would take up half your morning to research the details for your reply, I now know where you are coming from, if I had a pos Galaxy Ace I also wouldn't waste money protecting it, I might Stretch to a Ziplock bag or something though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Aw shame, sorry I didn't know you were using a Galaxy Ace
    I'm not.

and that it would take up half your morning to research the details for your reply, I now know where you are coming from, if I had a pos Galaxy Ace I also wouldn't waste money protecting it, I might Stretch to a Ziplock bag or something though.
    If it makes you feel better yea it cost me 20 seconds to see you were wrong. The rest of your reply is just a waste of server space.

I stuck one of those on my 4yr+ >still going strong< Samsung Galaxy Ace,
    My bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

And your second link, wow! It just has made by a Chinese 7 year old quality written all over it, and it also doesn't have an in built screen protector but one of those really "easy" to apply self adhesive ones!
    You'd have to be a rucking fetard to go for any of those options!

I guess I'm a rucking fetard for going with the Armour case for 3 quid also!

Using it months now and i love it, the only con is that it makes the phone 2cm thick in the middle, or 18mm to be exact!

But that gives it huge protection.

Anyway, even if you have the otterbox case and the phone's screen falls on a stone or something jagged you're rucked!

Goodbye screen.

waveform wrote: »
    Anyway, even if you have the otterbox case and the phone's screen falls on a stone or something jagged you're rucked!

Goodbye screen.
    You mean like glass?
    [/quote]My phone slipped off the arm of a couch before and onto a pint glass which smashed and pierced the in built screen protector of the Otterbox defender, it took the damage and saved the screen[/quote]

• Advertisement

You mean like glass?
    My phone slipped off the arm of a couch before and onto a pint glass which smashed and pierced the in built screen protector of the Otterbox defender, it took the damage and saved the screen[/quote][/QUOTE]

Ah so the inbuilt screen protector is made of glass then?

Didn't read your post properly.

It's probably worth the money then, but I'm just not a fan of screen protectors personally and avoid them like the plague.

I guess I'd have to use the Otterbox defender to see if I liked the feel of the screen protector, but I don't think I would.

waveform wrote: »
    My phone slipped off the arm of a couch before and onto a pint glass which smashed and pierced the in built screen protector of the Otterbox defender, it took the damage and saved the screen
    [/QUOTE]

Ah so the inbuilt screen protector is made of glass then?

Didn't read your post properly.[/QUOTE]

It's probably worth the money then, but I'm just not a fan of screen protectors personally and avoid them like the plague.

I guess I'd have to use the Otterbox defender to see if I liked the feel of the screen protector, but I don't think I would.[/quote]
    No the screen protector is not glass, you said if it fell on something jagged or sharp then you would be rucked.
    So then I pointed out my previous post where I mentioned my phone fell on a pint glass and it smashed and left "jagged" and "sharp" edges on display which pierced my otterboxes screen protector thus saving my screen. Case paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Go for the extra protection with the defender, there's way too many stories of smashed screens on here.
    Got one for my wife and nephew a few months back and it's top notch and genuine, can't figure out how they are doing it for this price. http://www.buyur.co.uk/otterbox-defender-35424.html

They won't ship over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

unknown13 wrote: »
    Parcel Motel?

unknown13 wrote: »
    Sorry forgot I had to use parcel motel it was so long ago, maybe cheaper option to get it from amazon so with free super saver delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00GSIKPGM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Sorry forgot I had to use parcel motel it was so long ago, maybe cheaper option to get it from amazon so with free super saver delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00GSIKPGM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

No delivery to Irish address :(

PM needed it seems!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Cheers for this,been meaning to get a case for a while to avoid what happened to my nexus 5.Can't go wrong with the leather flip jobs for 3 odd quid delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Looking at getting a Moto 4g to tide me over for the next six months or so. I've been using a HTC Sensation for the last three years and it is barely creaking along. It's gotten so unusable that I want to pick up something cheap that will at least have have a better battery and not crash every few minutes.

The reviews for the 4g consistently mention the poor camera, can any owners comment on how usable / bad the camera is? Keep in mind I'm comparing it to my 8mp Sensation camera which was never great in the first place - usually over-sharpened and terrible in low light. I use my phone camera quite alot but if the 4g camera is comparable to the Sensation I can deal with it for the next while.

If I get it I'll be picking it up in the states so the price is definitely tempting.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the camera is fine - its not comparable to the cameras on the high-end phones but for casual point & click it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robotwind

Hey, could anyone give me the actual cheapest price for this phone? Well, for under €200 anyway. I'm looking for the 8GB 4G model. Amazon is screwing up and adding on money for me which makes the price €212, and the Tesco Direct/PM thingy everyone is talking about is rather confusing! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Looking at getting a Moto 4g to tide me over for the next six months or so. I've been using a HTC Sensation for the last three years and it is barely creaking along. It's gotten so unusable that I want to pick up something cheap that will at least have have a better battery and not crash every few minutes.

The reviews for the 4g consistently mention the poor camera, can any owners comment on how usable / bad the camera is? Keep in mind I'm comparing it to my 8mp Sensation camera which was never great in the first place - usually over-sharpened and terrible in low light. I use my phone camera quite alot but if the 4g camera is comparable to the Sensation I can deal with it for the next while.

If I get it I'll be picking it up in the states so the price is definitely tempting.

Cheers!
    Just so you know - the US model won't work here.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Just so you know - the US model won't work here.

Really? It's GSM though, is it just 4G that won't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Really? It's GSM though, is it just 4G that won't work?
    I don't know, tbh. It was mentioned in the Bargain Alerts thread, I think.

Suggest you do some research anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

robotwind wrote: »
    Hey, could anyone give me the actual cheapest price for this phone? Well, for under €200 anyway. I'm looking for the 8GB 4G model. Amazon is screwing up and adding on money for me which makes the price €212, and the Tesco Direct/PM thingy everyone is talking about is rather confusing! Thanks!

The extra money that Amazon is charging is the Irish vat premium over UK vat. If you use parcel motel you won't have to pay this.

Esel wrote: »
    I don't know, tbh. It was mentioned in the Bargain Alerts thread, I think.

Suggest you do some research anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. Talked to Motorola support over here and they couldn't confirm it would work in Ireland, but they didn't say it wouldn't either...sounded like they were prob covering themselves. Will keep digging.

• Advertisement

Right, so I've done a bit of digging on what frequencies are offered by the US Moto 4G LTE:

US GSM Model:
    4G LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 17 (1900, 1700, 850, 700 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Compared to the European model:

European & Asia GSM Model:
    4G LTE Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20 (2100, 1800, 2600, 900, 800 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

What Irish mobile comms use are in bold, from my understanding. So the phone will work but I won't be able to get 4G connectivity on it.

Does that seem right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

Argos are stocking the 4G model now for €199....

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

mondeo wrote: »
    Argos are stocking the 4G model now for €199....

8GB version, linky. Same price as amazon at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Right, so I've done a bit of digging on what frequencies are offered by the US Moto 4G LTE:

US GSM Model:
    4G LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 17 (1900, 1700, 850, 700 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Compared to the European model:

European & Asia GSM Model:
    4G LTE Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20 (2100, 1800, 2600, 900, 800 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

What Irish mobile comms use are in bold, from my understanding. So the phone will work but I won't be able to get 4G connectivity on it.

Does that seem right?
    Yeah, the 4G won't work. It's actually more the band numbers you need to look at rather than the frequency AFAIK, but the result is basically the same.

A lot of people are looking at the CDMA US version which is $70 on Verizon or something like that. That will be useless here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I'm loving this phone. I didn't bother creating a thread asking about recommendations on phones. I just read other threads instead and this phone got recommended a lot.

Its brilliant. :-)
    Thanks guys

Moto G 2 will have a 5" screen apparently.....

http://www.gsmarena.com/moto_g2_possibly_benchmarked_shows_its_specs-news-9247.php

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/moto-g-2-to-have-5-inch-display

I'm loving this phone. I didn't bother creating a thread asking about recommendations on phones. I just read other threads instead and this phone got recommended a lot.

Its brilliant. :-)
    Thanks guys

Glad you like Mrs Garth Brooks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Doge wrote: »
    Moto G 2 will have a 5" screen apparently.....

Glad you like Mrs Garth Brooks! ;)

Until I found a con.

You can't set your mp3's stored on your memory card as a ringtone, or alarm tone.

To set a mp3 as a ringtone, you have to save it in the internal memory within the ringtone folder.

As an mp3 can be as big as 4 or 5 mb and you only have 5 GB of useable internal storage. I'm not liking this part at all.

Or has anyone found a way round this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Until I found a con.

You can't set your mp3's stored on your memory card as a ringtone, or alarm tone.

To set a mp3 as a ringtone, you have to save it in the internal memory within the ringtone folder.

As an mp3 can be as big as 4 or 5 mb and you only have 5 GB of useable internal storage. I'm not liking this part at all.

For the alarm, use the "Alarm Clock" app by "MacroPinch"
    It lets you use music on the SD card.

Until I found a con.

Install the ES File Explorer App from google play, here

When you are changing ringtones and you select browse you will get an option to browse with ES File Explorer.

Then just go to your SD card and select the mp3.

I can't test it out as I have the old Moto G but i'm pretty sure it will work.

ES File explorer is a very powerful app and its free, I use it almost everyday.

• Advertisement

Lads, you can buy the 4G Moto G version for €170 delivered from Meteor!

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-a...-phones/moto-g

That seems to be the best deal now that the £15 off Tesco code doesn't seem to work any more

I wonder how long its been up?

I only saw it by chance.

Advertisement