Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Rigged coin waterfalls in arcades.
    This is so well known that I cannot believe people still play those things.

Then again, losing money in gambling arcades is one monetary Darwin award after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Oh I meant the excuse didn't even sound that nice! And legionella can live in the water collection from AC units... Isn't that where it was first recognized after the FFL all got struck down with it in a NYC hotel? I could be getting my wires crossed on that, though.

You're absolutely right, but it terms of transmission to humans, it only becomes problematic when inhaled into the lungs in vapour droplets. You can drink it without getting sick (not that I would, mind). And for some reason, it really only affects old men.
    It got its name from an outbreak in a hotel in Philadelphia in 1976 where a big conference thing for the American Legion was being held.

I know far too much about Legionnaire's Disease

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

=MrsYelnekoff;91622169]I worked in a factory packing cakes for a well know company,

Did they make Exceedingly Good Cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I worked in a factory packing cakes for a well know company, Shall not speak it's name and they dropped cakes face on floor and just packed them anyway. Also all you could eat cakes in the staff room that had been dropped or broken.

Ever pack cakes with fudge in them? Please tell me yes, I need this!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

in a portacabin with 3 rooms joining a kitchen which is rat infested, a seating area which is manky and a toilet area which floods.... and the health inspector cant get at it as he prob doesnt know it exsits

• Advertisement

in a portacabin with 3 rooms joining a kitchen which is rat infested, a seating area which is manky and a toilet area which floods.... and the health inspector cant get at it as he prob doesnt know it exsits

Jesus.

Does the public eat here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

cruais wrote: »
    Was she a nun and school based on south side of city as in extremely close to the city centre?
    she was and it was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

pharmaton wrote: »
    she was and it was
    Ah cmon now,we all know that money was just resting in her account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    A kitten curry? Would be purrfect if you're feline peckish.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    A kitten curry? Would be purrfect if you're feline peckish.

Well whiskas away to one so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

pharmaton wrote: »
    she was and it was

It's probably the same school im thinking of (would be a high coincidence that it happened in 2 different schools)

I was a student in that school. We knew all about it but I always thought it was just rumour. Terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

HurtLocker wrote: »
    A few years back I worked in a small store for a Summer. Mainly serving farmers and the store had a small agricultural diesel tank for customers. You showed your can you wanted to fill paid for the litres of diesel, drove your car/jeep over and filled up the canister. The tank had no meter .... so in truth nothing was stopping customers from filling the jeep if they wished during a busy time, hell during quiet times as no one in the shop considered the pump their responsibility

They've it sorted out now. But for a time there was a place for €5 you could brim your jeep with diesel and there would be no way of knowing you did. Even if they caught you with the nozzle in your car there was no way of even knowing you had pumped a euros worth or fifty euros worth or even if you had started pumping

Did you, by any chance drink any of the diesel:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

When it looks like the expiration date has been crudely removed to hide the fact that the product's gone past it, that's exactly what has been done. Shocking, I know!

From my own long lost work history - there is a reason that "snot shots" and "Gun Powder" looked like a ground up and heavily flavored pieces of left over, stepped on, factory floor droppings from Golf Ball and Jaw breaker chewing gum - and there is reason why every Mr Freeze pack has a single weird flavor put on a single weird color - neither of which ever seems to match to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

gw80 wrote: »
    worked in a place that made parts for nato tanks, it was all hush hush, i think it had something to do with Irelands nuetrality.

dont think they were,nt allowed make the parts iust didnt want any hippy types giving out about it.

Timoney Technology ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's actually pretty common to use low fat milk for all steamed coffees in cafés, three different places I've worked have done it and nobody seemed to notice.

My mother used to work in a BOI branch in a small town back in the eighties, apparently one of the women used to be awful for going through customers' cheques and bank statements and gossiping about who was spending what. She even got moved to a different role but she'd pop in to have a look every once in a while. Probably can't happen anymore but I'd imagine there was a lot of that back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's actually pretty common to use low fat milk for all steamed coffees in cafés, three different places I've worked have done it and nobody seemed to notice.

why would they bother?
    we use about 5 times as much normal milk as LF in our place, the odd time we'll sub normal in when run out of LF but rarely if ever the other way around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

why would they bother?
    we use about 5 times as much normal milk as LF in our place, the odd time we'll sub normal in when run out of LF but rarely if ever the other way around

Beats me honestly, the owner at one place swore blind it was better for coffees because it was easier to steam, and she thought it lasted better in the fridge. In the other places it was always LF in the fridges too, and I worked a few different branches in one of the jobs and it was the same everywhere. I suppose it could be just coincidence but it seems a bit unlikely. I wasn't overly interested in those jobs tbh so I didn't bother asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

cruais wrote: »
    It's probably the same school im thinking of (would be a high coincidence that it happened in 2 different schools)

I was a student in that school. We knew all about it but I always thought it was just rumour. Terrible

And she got away with it terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

The pet shop I work In has a very large and thriving hamster population living inside the walls :rolleyes:

To update on this, hamster population has dropped dramatically since a corn snake escaped. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

To update on this, hamster population has dropped dramatically since a corn snake escaped. :D

What dya have to release to kill a corn snake?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

What dya have to release to kill a corn snake?!

Either a python or see can we get a mongoose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ordering something online, if a company has "We advise you to insure your package when you return it to us to avoid package loss" on the part about returning your item, it means if you just send your stuff back using regular post, the company can say they never received it and keep the items and your money. Package "got lost"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

working as a repairs guy for Xerox is genuinely like living in an episode of The IT Crowd every day. We keep customers waiting for ages. We fob off to the pub or elsewhere whenever we like. 9 times out of 10 we just turn the machine off and on again. We pretend stuff is far more complicated than it is. And this isnt just me, it was like this way before I got there. Im terrified of ever having to get a real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My sister works in a 4 star hotel with a very busy restaurant, they are always hyping their head chef, except he does not exist and has instead been replaced with numerous JobBridge interns over the last 2 and a half years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This post has been deleted.

They say he is busy and then give them complimentary drinks from said chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

At a bar I worked at if a phone was handed in lost some of the staff would nose through the phone going through messages, photos etc. before calling the last dialed to try and return it.
    Manager spotted it once and put an abrupt stop to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Pub I worked in used the pizza sauce for all of the pasta dishes on the menu

Advertisement