Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Oh the things I could tell from my job. I wish I could. I'll make some money out of it some day from the daily mail or something when I've long left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

In a certain store chain a PC health check involves sticking in a usb, clicking runon an exe and then maybe making a recovery disk.

A fresh setup, involves going onto ninite.com and download.

As for call centers, like people said earlier they dont like taking escalations, you not meant to engage your brain to solve issues, the staff your talking too do not have any real power and wish they did so they could fix 99.9% of issue in one go. I actually tried one to skip the middle man in a call centre and get a problem fixed in a few minutes, got an email back being smart that I did the process wrong and they CC'd my manager even though I had all of the info needed.

Oh oh if your dealing with any phone company thats not eircom they cant ever check whats wrong with any accuracy, usually just educated guess. The tool I used to use would give a pass or fail the eircom one would show frequencies and have a million times more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I miss this thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

rawn wrote: »
    I miss this thread :(
    Yea,lets have more scary storys even if half of them is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have worked in a cafe in the past where bottles of Fruice orange juice were sold. The revolting thing is if a bottle was left on a table without the label being ripped off, it would be taken into the kitchen and filled up with Lidl orange juice and sold again. The same thing was done with Freeway coke being poured back into Coca-Cola bottles.

In a different place, stale bread was often used in toasted sandwiches but this isn't actually that bad.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    I have worked in a cafe in the past where bottles of Fruice orange juice were sold. The revolting thing is if a bottle was left on a table without the label being ripped off, it would be taken into the kitchen and filled up with Lidl orange juice and sold again. The same thing was done with Freeway coke being poured back into Coca-Cola bottles.

In a different place, stale bread was often used in toasted sandwiches but this isn't actually that bad.
    I would not touch a bottle that I did not get the feel of breaking the seal on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

tipptom wrote: »
    I would not touch a bottle that I did not get the feel of breaking the seal on it.

In a lot of cafes when you order a drink and it comes in a glass bottle, it arrives pre-opened.

rawn wrote: »
    In a lot of cafes when you order a drink and it comes in a glass bottle, it arrives pre-opened.
    OOH,very posh,on second thoughts I would nearly prefer the Lidl orange juice to that Fruice acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

140490 wrote: »
    Worked with Domino's few months ago, every fecking is frozen nothing is frech even the pizza base, if u get a pizza from tesco for 2 euro to 22 euro pizza from them its the same unless ur a lazy *****

the toillet in store is ....... I couldn't find the words for it, just imagine anything.....

what has been lazy got to do with the quality of pizza?????

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

what has been lazy got to do with the quality of pizza?????

So r u saying that domino's pizza is good quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Chefs sometimes take revenge on customers when they complain their steak is underdone by throwing it on the floor first.

this kinda thing is almost non existent, if a chef of mine did it.. Red card straight away. The risk of foodbourne illness puts fear into chefs everywhere. If you saw a chef do it then name him so he can be removed from his job. At least name the place he/she works in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Insurance companies aren't actually trying to screw the public over when they increase rates, they are increasing them so that when someone crashes into you, you are going to get compensated.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

shaneon77 wrote: »
    this kinda thing is almost non existent, if a chef of mine did it.. Red card straight away. The risk of foodbourne illness puts fear into chefs everywhere. If you saw a chef do it then name him so he can be removed from his job. At least name the place he/she works in.

Yep, I've worked in a kitchen in a very poorly run hotel and have never seen anything like the horror stories people would tell you. For a start the chef wouldn't usually be alone in the kitchen, but they and the hotel staff usually eat the food there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I work in a well-known supermarket where every Sunday morning the laminated advertisements of other supermarkets that come inside Sunday newspapers are removed before being put on the shop floor. Same supermarket is also notorious for using loopholes to pay people as low wages as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Insurance companies aren't actually trying to screw the public over when they increase rates, they are increasing them so that when someone crashes into you, they can increase their profits
    Shhhhhhhhhhh.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Genuine public servants in the Dáil?

Paschal Donohoe
    Kathleen Lynch
    Thomas Pringle
    Michael Noonan
    that sack of xxxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

stimpson wrote: »
    FYP
    The truth is somewhere in the middle, but more to your side. I worked in insurance for a good while and it's possibly the filthiest industry around. I have a lengthy post on it wwwwaaayyy back earlier in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Shameless bump since we've probably accumulated a few new members since this thread was in discussion.

Hopefully we have more people who can share their insider knowledge!

So much I'd love to share but can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I can't remember if I posted this here before..... I once worked in a very popular "food place" lets just say, that had a very active rat problem. It was a very old building and in certain parts we could here them running round as if in the walls/floorboards above us. I was terrified, saw one once in a room at the back which was used for storing cleaning products and had a drain (it obviously had come up the drain). We made numerous complaints to management who said they were trying everything to deal with the problem. We started taking matters into our hands and calling pest control whenever there was a sighting. It was horrible working there to be honest, we always felt we were looking over our shoulder in a way. One time there was about 15 people in the preparation area, working away and here comes Rodney the rodent strolling along - it was bedlam people jumping up on tables - I was in a different part and heard the screams. This place is a gold mine, if the public knew about this it would loose all business.
    What we couldn't understand was why the HSE done nothing about it - as far as we knew the pest control people would have to log this kind of thing with them? Thank God I don't work there any more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Gongoozler wrote: »
    So much I'd love to share but can't.

What sector do you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Ever see a till in a shop with a sign that says 'cash only, no credit card' .... More often then not thats because credit card sales leave an electronic paper trail, records with the bank and so on and they only want cash sales because they can be hidden using the function I mentioned above.

Or maybe its just that the cashless terminal isn't working :confused:

that would mean that anyone who had a card would

a) move to another till to pay with the card, and it'd be recorded

or

b) pay with cash where it is recorded in the POS system and registered in the system anyway.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    What sector do you work in?

It's not really about where I am now. I suppose actually there are things I could say that wouldn't give too much away. But it's my bed time so maybe tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Racehorse trainers would have horses exercised before racing (on the QT), the horse would then race and get tired quicker than the rest, lose by some distance (Public and bookies would think horse has no ability). The next time he would run he would win after a small gamble (And the public would be scratching their heads wondering how he could win so easily after running so poorly the previous time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Racehorse trainers would have horses exercised before racing (on the QT), the horse would then race and get tired quicker than the rest, lose by some distance (Public and bookies would think horse has no ability). The next time he would run he would win after a small gamble (And the public would be scratching their heads wondering how he could win so easily after running so poorly the previous time)

Is that not horse racing 101 kinda stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

Sacramento wrote: »
    If you leave your laptop in for repair at a well known tech retail store and you happen to be an attractive lady, it's highly likely the staff working on your laptop will look for photos/videos of you on said laptop.

Creepy right?

It gets worse, they will even use recovery software that will recover photos/videos that you have long since deleted, often saving them to their personal USB keys.

Upper management couldn't give a shíte either. Stomach turning.

This is by far the most accurate and disgusting post in this thread. Everyone should know how to repair their own computer, or have a friend who does. PC/Phone repair shops are a rip off anyway but above all else they're all shady creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

wazky wrote: »
    Is that not horse racing 101 kinda stuff?

It is to an extent, but most wont exercise the horse, they will tell the jockey to ride him wrong or run him over inadequate trip.

Seen it 1st hand, A horse running and being hot favourite 7/4 as he was being dropped in grade/into a weaker race, the horse had absolutely no chance of being in the 1st half of the field after his morning workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not sure I can add much to the thread but here is what I have experienced ...

- The milk in kays kitchen is pretty much slops. When someone gets a tea or coffee but leaves milk left over in the little metal jug. It gets poured into a bigger jug thats left out all day. Constantly getting filled up by left overs. Then plopped into the fridge for next days consumption.

- Be very careful of veg that is not wrapped in plastic or some sort of packaging. Working in a supermarket will make you see all sorts of things. For example an apple could have been mauled 100 times before you buy it and eat it. Not to mention you can see people pick their nose before handling.

- There is nothing you can do to stop the following as you can't tell. But all too often customers put back items all over the place in a supermarket. We're talking about things that should be chilled or frozen and not left out all day thrown behind the cans of beans. But when the supermarket closes and everyone is 'facing off' (neatly displaying the products) You will often see someone from a different section come along and throw the item back into the chilled section or freezer section. Not caring if it's spoilt or defrosted. Simply because they aint gonna eat it so they don't care. So next time you eat something, get an upset stomach and check the date to see if it's still in date? ... The expiry don't mean a thing.

PC/Phone repair shops are a rip off anyway but above all else they're all shady creeps.
    Don't forget that it was one of those shady creeps who discovered Gary Glitter's stash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Sacramento wrote: »
    If you leave your laptop in for repair at a well known tech retail store and you happen to be an attractive lady, it's highly likely the staff working on your laptop will look for photos/videos of you on said laptop.

Creepy right?

It gets worse, they will even use recovery software that will recover photos/videos that you have long since deleted, often saving them to their personal USB keys.

Upper management couldn't give a shíte either. Stomach turning.

Eh not always. I worked in a place and tbh nobody gave a **** but it was a very small store.
    However you will find that a lot of the time, they're just googling all your problems and looking for a fix!

Advertisement