Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pub I worked in used the pizza sauce for all of the pasta dishes on the menu

No shame in that. It's all just reduced tomato and herbs with maybe some garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Dominos used to send me across the road to tescos to buy cheese, chicken, ham etc... and other toppings when they ran low. They also would often get us to stretch out medium dough patties into large ones when they were running low.
    Similarly, anyone who was rude, nasty or, to be frank, a cop (they were real assholes in coleraine, especially to students), would often get their pizza...altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dominos used to send me across the road to tescos to buy cheese, chicken, ham etc... and other toppings when they ran low. They also would often get us to stretch out medium dough patties into large ones when they were running low.
    Similarly, anyone who was rude, nasty or, to be frank, a cop (they were real assholes in coleraine, especially to students), would often get their pizza...altered.

what did Frank ever do to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

what did Frank ever do to anyone?

He killed my father but I had my revenge with a range of inferior, overpriced pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

He killed my father but I had my revenge with a range of inferior, overpriced pizzas

Served cold?

I'll let myself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Get Real

Beats me honestly, the owner at one place swore blind it was better for coffees because it was easier to steam, and she thought it lasted better in the fridge. In the other places it was always LF in the fridges too, and I worked a few different branches in one of the jobs and it was the same everywhere. I suppose it could be just coincidence but it seems a bit unlikely. I wasn't overly interested in those jobs tbh so I didn't bother asking.

Funny yet very boring reasons for the popular use of low fat milk in coffee machines in cafes instead of "normal" full fat milk are:

1. People who drink full fat milk aren't really bothered about whether or not ff or lf milk is used in their coffees. However people who insist on "skinny"/ "I only drink low fat" milk will be satisfied along with all customers as every coffee is low fat.

2. The machines are much easier to clean. All that inner piping that the milk runs through and comes out frothy needs cleaning every day. There is less "fat buildup" over the course of the day on the pipes, which leads to easier cleaning dailyand less maintenance work long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

osarusan wrote: »
    I think a lot of the footage on this video wouldn't be out of place with a hidden camera-style 'the horror of how it's actually made' video, but the company proudly displays their name at the end!

looks like 2 girls 1 cup

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Oh I've done very interesting ones from a certain chicken fast food take away. I'll post them later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

McDonalds is far cleaner and takes food safety more seriously than many/most hotels.

I've worked in a few hotels, some of them 4* and some had filthy practices that would never happen in a McDonalds franchise

McDonalds also treat their staff and duty managers better than a lot of Irish hotels!

There was an ad on RTE a few years back and a duty manager was the laughing stock of his friends with the usual do you want fries with that haw haw :rolleyes:

Stupid ad and it's a grand place to work even if some of the public reckon you failed at life if you work in one

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Head chef in a restaurant where I worked a few yrs back used chicken or beef stock in all vegetarian dishes! All chefs followed his instruction without any qualms :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

Worked in a petrol station a few years back when I was in college, one of the major companies but I can't remember which. Found out the guy delivering the fuel had accidentally put a load of petrol into the diesel tanks. Nothing was said to the customers they just sold it as was.

Remember a few customers coming in and arguing with the manager about engine trouble and he swore blind everything was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I work in the food industry, you have no idea how bad it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

More seriously and more recently, I also worked for a charity in the disability sector. One of the big ones involved in those funding/ceo payment scandals not so long ago.

I guess this might not be so shocking now but basically none of the money that charity takes in goes to the service users. The scam works like this. HSE directly funds the provision of care centres. Charity fund raises for the provision of services (to the tune of millions per year) but because these are already paid for can put this money to bonuses/perks/expenses etc. If they're ever questioned they say look at the wonderful services we provide.

In truth some of the services are good because you get a well meaning group of staff paid for by the HSE. Unfortunately some are awful. I saw some and heard some really shocking stuff in my time there but when any of us tried to report something it was ignored. Never once saw or heard of a HSE inspection.

Hopefully that Prime Time before Christmas might shake things up but I fear it won't be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

No shame in that. It's all just reduced tomato and herbs with maybe some garlic.

Much more concentrated flavour though but if it's watered down enough it'd be okay I imagine.
    osarusan wrote: »
    I think a lot of the footage on this video wouldn't be out of place with a hidden camera-style 'the horror of how it's actually made' video, but the company proudly displays their name at the end!

I don't actually see anything gross in that video? It's basically a meat smoothie. The addition of corn syrup/excessive salt was the only concerning factor for me.

Hunter-Gatherers make full use of the animal, why shouldn't we?

Advertisement