Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Any key? wrote: »
    We used to use full fat milk in our skinny coffees when I worked in a cafe.....controversial I know:eek:

Sheer madness! :eek:

most chippers dont actually use Cod when they serve Cod!
    Might be something to do with the fact that it has been so overfished that it's almost rare these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Sheer madness! :eek:

The public need to know!!!!

Any key? wrote: »
    The public need to know!!!!

Name and shame!

(No. No dont. Not a good idea ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Name and shame!

(No. No dont. Not a good idea ;) )

Not to worry. It's in Australia, those scamps!

Obviously if you're living in Melbourne worry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

K-9 wrote: »
    I strip a chicken (kinky) until I get every last piece of meat out of it, sandwiches, curries etc. (the juiciest part is the thigh and wings). I still don't know what part of the chicken they use!

It's usually poached, giving it its distinctive rubber texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I used to work in a very popular hotel, that was very well known for weddings. I worked in the spa but we used to get our lunch from the carvery part of the hotel so wed stand waiting in the kitchen.

It was filthy!! Cutlery not being washed properly, would still come out with bits of food on, and be just wiped clean with a usual dirty linen napkin.
    One of the trainee chefs that worked with the pastries used to be always picking/wiping his nose, or you'd see him dipping his fingers into different things and licking his finger clean. He was disgusting. Sometimes he worked on carvery and if he was ever working none of us would eat lunch that day. He was always on fag breaks too but I never saw him wash his hands when he'd come back in.

The bread rolls and desserts were always being mauled by staff passing by. Anytime we got the fruit for the spa from the fridge in the kitchen we had to soft through it to find decent fruit as a lot of it would be mouldy and soft and gross and I assume still used.

There were two wheely bins in the kitchen, that were down by where you'd leave the dirty plates. The lids were always open. One was for food and the other was for other waste. It reeked.

Completely put me off eating from places to be honest

I think a lot of this thread will make me either never eat out again or be doing online background checks on potential places in advance before I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The micro processing chips that Intel make are actually based on a time-traveling cybernetic organism that was recovered in the 80s. How do I know this? I am the Global IT manager at this company and one day I stumbled across an old mail from the big cheese at Intel that was along the lines of:

"It was scary stuff, radically advanced. It was shattered... didn't work. But it gave us ideas, It took us in new directions... things we would never have thought of. All of Intel's work is based on it."

Please don't tell anybody about this guys, it's kinda a secret!

It's usually poached, giving it its distinctive rubber texture.

Whatever "it" is, its not chicken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

you are badly informed about cod stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I used to work in a very popular hotel, that was very well known for weddings. I worked in the spa but we used to get our lunch from the carvery part of the hotel so wed stand waiting in the kitchen.

It was filthy!! Cutlery not being washed properly, would still come out with bits of food on, and be just wiped clean with a usual dirty linen napkin.
    One of the trainee chefs that worked with the pastries used to be always picking/wiping his nose, or you'd see him dipping his fingers into different things and licking his finger clean. He was disgusting. Sometimes he worked on carvery and if he was ever working none of us would eat lunch that day. He was always on fag breaks too but I never saw him wash his hands when he'd come back in.

The bread rolls and desserts were always being mauled by staff passing by. Anytime we got the fruit for the spa from the fridge in the kitchen we had to soft through it to find decent fruit as a lot of it would be mouldy and soft and gross and I assume still used.

There were two wheely bins in the kitchen, that were down by where you'd leave the dirty plates. The lids were always open. One was for food and the other was for other waste. It reeked.

Sounds clean, no cockroaches climbing up walls anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

sword1 wrote: »
    you are badly informed about cod stocks

They're not true? Are we being codded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

If you drop your pictures into any kind of photo lab that doesn't do an instant service someone is going to see them. This isn't necessarily a sinister thing, the worker genuinely has to check to make sure the machine isn't printing streaks across them or something like that. The number of people who used to come in with a disk saying '2 copies of picture 1, 4 of Picture 2 etc' who then asked 'you didn't look at my photos, did you!?' would amaze you.

We did have a wall of shame consisting of a smiling family around an open casket, a lad with a broom handle up his arse and 2 elderly white guys dressed as clowns painting a nice young black gentleman.

If you drop your pictures into any kind of photo lab that doesn't do an instant service someone is going to see them.

Thank fúck no one gets pics developed anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some do. I expect many doing it know full well the workers are looking at them, just another form of exhibitionism. My housemate worked in one and had loads of stories about what was in the photos and the lunatics & oddballs dropping them in. Some would make sure the workers saw them, taking them out and going through them all in front of them as though they were checking for flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Aldi and Lidl are the same shop.
    That's why they're always built beside each other so that they can build a secret tunnel between them.

rubadub wrote: »
    Some do. I expect many doing it know full well the workers are looking at them, just another form of exhibitionism. My housemate worked in one and had loads of stories about what was in the photos and the lunatics & oddballs dropping them in. Some would make sure the workers saw them, taking them out and going through them all in front of them as though they were checking for flaws.

Actually you've reminded me, for a while myself and one of the other lads used to put a little tick mark on one inconspicuous part of the envelope if it contained any 'racy' pics. If a customer came to collect you knew that not only was there something hilarious/sexy/awful in it, the worst pic of the bunch had 'ended up' at the front. Cue many instances of 'sorry, I have two different Murphys here, are these your pics?' followed by the offending pics sliding out onto tables.

We were a right pair of arseholes back then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually you've reminded me, for a while myself and one of the other lads used to put a little tick mark on one inconspicuous part of the envelope if it contained any 'racy' pics.
    In the shop I worked in we used to do that too, plus if any hot looking women brought films in for developing, we'd mark the envelope too, to make sure we inspected them when they came in. The oddest set of photos I ever saw was a whole set of nothing but nude archery :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I found an old disposable camera when cleaning a few months ago and the local Boots (which prints digital ones on the spot) had to send it away!

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    I found an old disposable camera when cleaning a few months ago and the local Boots (which prints digital ones on the spot) had to send it away!

Yeah, they've closed down most of the local developer labs in pharmacies, there's usually one large shop that handles all of the development. Hence 1 hour film processing is all but gone, as is 24 hour, most pharmacies will do a 2 day service to allow delivery to another store! It's a shame, when I was working in the lab the printer was leaps and bounds better than one of those crappy little instant kiosks and all the digital stuff ran through it with the film. If you need prints done you're best going to a fuji lab like in Harvey Norman, it's a proper exposure/chemical development system so your prints will last much longer than ink on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

I worked in a childrens entertainment centre. They had a petting zoo on the roof and there was a leak which caused donkey p1ss to leak through to the 2nd floor on one of the main attractions. We were told by management that if anyone asked what the smell was to say it was stagnant water

I worked in a childrens entertainment centre. They had a petting zoo on the roof and there was a leak which caused donkey p1ss to leak through to the 2nd floor on one of the main attractions. We were told by management that if anyone asked what the smell was to say it was stagnant water

mmm, warm stagnant water. Yummy, legionnaires disease!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I worked for sky tv, 3% of their gross per year is subscriptions. They would be more profitable if it was free.

:pac::pac::pac:

What absolute $hit, you're trainer must have been fairly convincing to feed you that line with a straight face

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I worked in a factory packing cakes for a well know company, Shall not speak it's name and they dropped cakes face on floor and just packed them anyway. Also all you could eat cakes in the staff room that had been dropped or broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

^^post no good without name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I worked in a factory packing cakes for a well know company, Shall not speak it's name and they dropped cakes face on floor and just packed them anyway. Also all you could eat cakes in the staff room that had been dropped or broken.

The five second rule is obviously the deciding factor. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

mmm, warm stagnant water. Yummy, legionnaires disease!

To be fair, legionella doesn't live in piss and unless the attraction is a steam room, you're not getting legionaires disease.

Your post really shouldn't annoy me so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

pharmaton wrote: »
    worked in a school where the head embezzled large amounts of charity raised cash. investigations took six years, no one knows a thing, to protect her integrity I suspect.

Was she a nun and school based on south side of city as in extremely close to the city centre?

• Advertisement

To be fair, legionella doesn't live in piss and unless the attraction is a steam room, you're not getting legionaires disease.

Your post really shouldn't annoy me so much :(

Oh I meant the excuse didn't even sound that nice! And legionella can live in the water collection from AC units... Isn't that where it was first recognized after the FFL all got struck down with it in a NYC hotel? I could be getting my wires crossed on that, though.

Advertisement