Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options
  • 07-11-2013 10:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Apparently few supermarkets bake their own bread. Its all frozen and part baked elsewhere.

Ever wondered why airlines overbook seats? Because on average about 10-20 people don't check in for a flight, and for the airlines to make money they need to have full planes. so they oversell the aircraft based on the average number of people they hope will not turn up.

Rigged coin waterfalls in arcades.

People who work in food manufacturing doing bold things.

Is there anything you remember from a job that they don't want the general public to know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

How they get the figs in the figrolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Which of the rat pack was the rat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

It may come as a shock, but most garages are telling you the truth!

(its hard enough these days to diagnose the exact reason for that check engine light, never mind making up stories about it)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Please...Everyone knows its tiny elves with tiny hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

That we once forgot to connect the flums to the vents in a row of new houses and only copped on when the new residents complained of headaches.

We also forgot to connect the same row of houses to the local sewer system and only copped that one when it started bubbling up through the gardens.

Good times indeed during the Celtic Tiger.

• Advertisement

Please...Everyone knows its tiny elves with tiny hammers.

Yeah beating to death big f***o** flys and pushing them into those fly graveyards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I used to do plumbing maintenance in a major Irish printing company.

The drinking water flowed through lead pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I actually used to work in a factory that packaged figrolls, and I can tell you I wouldn't eat them again after seeing some of the stuff that went on. Biscuits been dropped on the floor and been reused, machines not cleaned etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I actually used to work in a factory that packaged figrolls, and I can tell you I wouldn't eat them again after seeing some of the stuff that went on. Biscuits been dropped on the floor and been reused, machines not cleaned etc.

Wouldn't surprise me. Didn't they move production abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Wouldn't surprise me. Didn't they move production abroad?

Not sure tbh. It's probably for the best if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not sure tbh. It's probably for the best if they did.

Indeed. Who doesn't like the taste of foreign floors..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

A place I worked in barred us from joining a union. Not only that, but its the LAW that if you work 12 hr shifts, you MUST be in a union. No Guard, politician, judge seemed to care.

I helped a guy catch and collect a full basket of fresh mushrooms today on my way to buy lunch. They where rolling down the footpath / road like something out of a Harrison Ford movie.
    reboxed and delivered as if it never happened. I guess mushrooms get washed again anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

That KFC do not use real chicken!
    But I didn't tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Some petrol stations are advertising a price for fuel but setting the meter to give out less than advertised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

If you're in a bar and order a Guinness, and the barman pulls the pint from one tap but tops it up from another, send it back immediately. Serious shenanigans involving bad keys and slops.
    I've left two bar jobs cos of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

the further education system for the lower classes is a scam.
    the teens are seen as walking dollar signs , esp the ones with perceived learning difficulties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

david75 wrote: »
    If you're in a bar and order a Guinness, and the barman pulls the pint from one tap but tops it up from another, send it back immediately. Serious shenanigans involving bad keys and slops.
    I've left two bar jobs cos of this.

Then there's the "giving tourists the cheapest piss available" trick when they ask for a larger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Similar situation with my brother, who used to work in a factory where they make a chocolate spread similar to nutella. He bowed not to eat it ever again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Some petrol stations are advertising a price for fuel but setting the meter to give out less than advertised.

They are allowed +/- 1% by law. You will find that most do not calibrate their pumps and are actually giving fuel away. Most stations are pretty naïve in relation to accuracy of dispensing, as they make more money from the shop than from fuel.

So if they are cheating and setting the pump outside the 1% mark, then if caught they get fined. Strangely enough, if they are giving out too much fuel to the benefit of the consumer, they also get done by revenue, as they are seen as giving away tax free fuel :)

Heat and cold also has a small effect on your fuel as it expands and contracts, that is why apple green advertise the temperature on the big signs on the forecourts. This is saying that their fuel is kept at a constant temperature so the measurement is constantly accurate.

I am also informed that always try to buy your fuel from a forecourt with Gilbarco pumps as these, for some reason, tend to favour the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Everytime you enter a search into google, it actually gets sent over to a huge secret data warehouse in China.
    Within split seconds, operatives then use Yahoo to find the results and sent it back via the Google front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

That KFC do not use real chicken!
    But I didn't tell you

what is it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bowlardo wrote: »
    what is it so?

Duck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I worked in a restaurant that had a menu of different lagers but only one tap. Customers were very impressed how I remembered what was what for massive orders! No one ever copped on!

A very well known football club in Europe treat their staff like muck. Politicians/VIP business people frequently buy their season tickets for the club with suitcases of cash. Huge amounts of tax evasion going on in this particular club. Lots of very shady dealings generally.

Chefs sometimes take revenge on customers when they complain their steak is underdone by throwing it on the floor first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

A very well known football club in Europe treat their staff like muck. Politicians/VIP business people frequently buy their season tickets for the club with suitcases of cash. Huge amounts of tax evasion going on in this particular club. Lots of very shady dealings generally.

Hmmmm.

Gotta be a Spanish team surely

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

Gotta be a Spanish team surely

Sounds like Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sounds like Real Madrid.

Certainly one of the two classic Spanish sides I'd wager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

They are allowed +/- 1% by law. You will find that most do not calibrate their pumps and are actually giving fuel away. Most stations are pretty naïve in relation to accuracy of dispensing, as they make more money from the shop than from fuel.

So if they are cheating and setting the pump outside the 1% mark, then if caught they get fined. Strangely enough, if they are giving out too much fuel to the benefit of the consumer, they also get done by revenue, as they are seen as giving away tax free fuel :)

Heat and cold also has a small effect on your fuel as it expands and contracts, that is why apple green advertise the temperature on the big signs on the forecourts. This is saying that their fuel is kept at a constant temperature so the measurement is constantly accurate.

I am also informed that always try to buy your fuel from a forecourt with Gilbarco pumps as these, for some reason, tend to favour the consumer.

Feckin revenue. Won't even let you give away your own stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

Unless chipper vinegar is brown its this diluted acid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

The russian mafia had a large % in kasperski

Advertisement