Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Beat me to it - better examples would be if you bought a dozen eggs from Tesco and one was a crate of beer from Tesco and one was an unopened-but-empty can (actually happened years ago when I worked there), if RTE/Sky went entirely off the air for a few days for no explanation or electricity issues, and likewise if Netflix website went down.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    :confused:

And 97% is on Broadband?
    Advertising I would imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

This does not surprise me. A lot of the meat I used to buy from supermarkets with the Bord Bia quality assurance mark was of atrocious quality. I now actively avoid it.
    All these inspectors are double jobbing. Bord Bia don't have any clout. Just a marketing body
    Remember the pork scandal. There was products left on shelf, brands which we assume are irish. This only goes to prove it was imported produce and not affected by dioxin scare. Meat processors were experts at rebadging meat during intervention era 20-30 years ago. As the saying goes "you never see paper to refuse ink". Pure spoofing. Anyway how fresh is prepacked meat. Argentinian beef is miles ahead of irish but processing and traceability isn't like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

All these inspectors are double jobbing. Bord Bia don't have any clout. Just a marketing body
    Remember the pork scandal. There was products left on shelf, brands which we assume are irish. This only goes to prove it was imported produce and not affected by dioxin scare. Meat processors were experts at rebadging meat during intervention era 20-30 years ago. As the saying goes "you never see paper to refuse ink". Pure spoofing. Anyway how fresh is prepacked meat.
    Argentinian beef is miles ahead of irish but processing and traceability isn't
    like here.
    Agentinian beef is better than Irish beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Apparently few supermarkets bake their own bread. Its all frozen and part baked elsewhere.

Ever wondered why airlines overbook seats? Because on average about 10-20 people don't check in for a flight, and for the airlines to make money they need to have full planes. so they oversell the aircraft based on the average number of people they hope will not turn up.

Rigged coin waterfalls in arcades.

People who work in food manufacturing doing bold things.

Is there anything you remember from a job that they don't want the general public to know?

I worked in a certain pizza factory making dough one summer in college - a large place. One guy was really pissed with the boss and took dough off the line and wiped his ass with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ash23 wrote: »
    If UPC can't provide a service due to something out of their control, then it's out of their control and they shouldn't and wouldn't be in a place to offer a refund.

And also because most of those contacts state that they don't guarantee 100% uptime and wont reimburse you. People need to be reading contracts.

13.1 Things beyond our control may affect the quality or availability of the Services, such
    as power outages and fluctuations in the internet. We will
    not be liable for any delay or
    failure to provide the Services, including access to emergency services, or any
    interruption or degradation in Services, or any loss of data that is caused by any of the
    following

etc etc etc

13.3 In no event will we be liable to you for any consequential or indirect losses,
    including but not limited to loss of revenue, profits, contracts or anticipated savings or
    wasted expense, or any financial loss or l
    oss of data or liability to third parties for
    damage, or any general loss on account of the loss of use of the Services

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And also because most of those contacts state that they don't guarantee 100% uptime and wont reimburse you. People need to be reading contracts.

13.1 Things beyond our control may affect the quality or availability of the Services, such
    as power outages and fluctuations in the internet. We will
    not be liable for any delay or
    failure to provide the Services, including access to emergency services, or any
    interruption or degradation in Services, or any loss of data that is caused by any of the
    following

etc etc etc

13.3 In no event will we be liable to you for any consequential or indirect losses,
    including but not limited to loss of revenue, profits, contracts or anticipated savings or
    wasted expense, or any financial loss or l
    oss of data or liability to third parties for
    damage, or any general loss on account of the loss of use of the Services

Neither of those preclude refunds for non-provision of service. They are rejection of liability for damages caused by non-provision of service. UPC are protecting themselves from a case where you sue for damages because the internet being down meant that you suffered some form of financial loss and/or damages. (i.e. you missed out on selling something on eBay).

If UPC are contracted to provide a service, and fail to provide said service, then there's not much they can put in their T&Cs that will legally shelter them from having to refund what they have charged for that service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

blackwhite wrote: »
    Neither of those preclude refunds for non-provision of service. They are rejection of liability for damages caused by non-provision of service. UPC are protecting themselves from a case where you sue for damages because the internet being down meant that you suffered some form of financial loss and/or damages. (i.e. you missed out on selling something on eBay).

If UPC are contracted to provide a service, and fail to provide said service, then there's not much they can put in their T&Cs that will legally shelter them from having to refund what they have charged for that service.

The point is that we don't know what the issue the person had was. It was speculation that it was something that could be remedied as opposed to something that is outside of UPCs control.
    As a CS agent I have had people complain when I can't give them a competitors price for example. It would be like going into Tesco and expecting them to know how much Dunnes charge.
    All the poster said was the UPC had said there was nothing more they could do. That to me (having had to use that line myself) that it's something that isn't within the companies control.
    If it was then it should be remedied. But if it's not then constantly calling and complaining about it is a waste of the CSR's time and it's not worth keeping customers who simply think that if they want, they should get, regardless of what the company say or do.

I'm not talking about UPC refusing to provide something that is in the contract. I'm talking about them not providing something that they simply can't control or change or do anything about.

Actually there is plenty that will shelter them - all they need to do is state the uptime. As long as the outage falls within that they dont legally have to refund you anything. Most of the ISPs will have 99.9% uptime, which allows them 87 hours a year.

ash23 wrote: »
    The point is that we don't know what the issue the person had was. It was speculation that it was something that could be remedied as opposed to something that is outside of UPCs control.
    As a CS agent I have had people complain when I can't give them a competitors price for example. It would be like going into Tesco and expecting them to know how much Dunnes charge.
    All the poster said was the UPC had said there was nothing more they could do. That to me (having had to use that line myself) that it's something that isn't within the companies control.
    If it was then it should be remedied. But if it's not then constantly calling and complaining about it is a waste of the CSR's time and it's not worth keeping customers who simply think that if they want, they should get, regardless of what the company say or do.

I'm not talking about UPC refusing to provide something that is in the contract. I'm talking about them not providing something that they simply can't control or change or do anything about.

Say someone hires me to come and provide a service, pays a deposit in advance, and then I cannot provide the service because somebody steals my equipment.
    Should i be entitled to keep the deposit?

They've been paid to to provide a service and failed to do so. The whys and hows are irrelevant. Legally, they are not entitled to keep any consideration if the service is not provided/performed.

• Advertisement

Actually there is plenty that will shelter them - all they need to do is state the uptime. As long as the outage falls within that they dont legally have to refund you anything. Most of the ISPs will have 99.9% uptime, which allows them 87 hours a year.

If there's an uptime provision then they are covered.

My posts above were in relation to the claim that if UPC didn't cause the problem then they have no responsibility for it - should have made it clearer.

They've been paid to to provide a service and failed to do so. The whys and hows are irrelevant. Legally, they are not entitled to keep any consideration if the service is not provided/performed.

This is nto correct, they are being paid to provide a service for X amount of time, that X is not 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

They are if it's in their contract or terms and conditions. I'd say nine times out of ten most complaints are covered in the t&c. People don't bother reading them, sign and agree with them and then complain when they find out what's actually in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Well, this thread has tanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I worked in a certain pizza factory making dough one summer in college - a large place. One guy was really pissed with the boss and took dough off the line and wiped his ass with it
    wow, that really taught the boss a lesson, he must have been livid when he didn't find out :rolleyes:, but at least the hard done by guy gained a lot from his crime.

The guy who allegedly did it, or his family/friends could have ended up eating that pizza.

rawn wrote: »
    Well, this thread has tanked.
    Yea,preferred it when people were talking about scandalous behaviour at work than technicality's about terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

rubadub wrote: »
    wow, that really taught the boss a lesson, he must have been livid when he didn't find out :rolleyes:, but at least the hard done by guy gained a lot from his crime.

The guy who allegedly did it, or his family/friends could have ended up eating that pizza.

+1
    Also it must be pretty weird experience to wipe your ass with dough do :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    +1
    Also it must be pretty weird experience to wipe your ass with dough do :D

That's got to be uncomfortable! And when it dries...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's got to be uncomfortable! And when it dries...

Dingleberries!! (Meatballs anyone?) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Used to work in a bar in Corfu where all the spirits were flavoured wood alcohol. Watching your customers puck blood after a couple of weeks drinking all in the name of profit - lovely!
    Moral: when abroad, drink what the locals drink, in Corfu's case Metaxa brandy.

why don't people report things like this if they know. Jesus christ like..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

why don't people report things like this if they know. Jesus christ like..........

Report it to who? This was the 1990's, we were illegal workers, local police were corrupt, we spoke no Greek.
    Most of the tourists were annoying pricks anyway, if you met any decent folk, you'd steer them onto ouzo or Metaxa brandy.

One of your disappointed customers? :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfN3WPsPyGo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Report it to who? This was the 1990's, we were illegal workers, local police were corrupt, we spoke no Greek.
    Most of the tourists were annoying pricks anyway, if you met any decent folk, you'd steer them onto ouzo or Metaxa brandy.

They'd have been better off drinking the rubbing alcohol than metaxa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I was in a place where they expected you to work for your wages - the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    One of your disappointed customers? :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfN3WPsPyGo

Some of the tourists used to blame the ice for the dodgy taste, they'd leave it out and be quite happy.
    In six months I only had one person who insisted that the drink wasn't kosher.

Sad enough but shows that most of us do not know how certain drinks supposed to taste..
    Including me
    I would make difference between horrible canadian whiskey and bourbon but thats about it.
    I would make difference between lidl vodka and absolute vodka if drinking shots but mixed with juice - naaah.."You say tomato, I say tomahto"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Anyone with a half a brain that has seen the way meat plants take in "downer" cattle and use them in the food chain has got to have had a bit of a shivver up their spine. Leaving the utter, abject vicious cruelty of the whole thing aside(hah) you'd be a bit wary of eating corned beef, meat pies or the like. Speaking of pies, if you see the pastry being made you tend to get a bit "hmm"ey about them too. Ingredients: 1 ton of pure fat lard, slopped into a mixer, with some other unrecognisable things that pass for foodstuffs, mix well and roll out into "dough". My stomach turned a few loops anyway..

Anyone with a half a brain that has seen the way meat plants take in "downer" cattle and use them in the food chain has got to have had a bit of a shivver up their spine. Leaving the utter, abject vicious cruelty of the whole thing aside(hah) you'd be a bit wary of eating corned beef, meat pies or the like. Speaking of pies, if you see the pastry being made you tend to get a bit "hmm"ey about them too. Ingredients:
    1 ton of pure fat lard
    , slopped into a mixer, with some other unrecognisable things that pass for foodstuffs, mix well and roll out into "dough". My stomach turned a few loops anyway..
    Lard MMMM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

tipptom wrote: »
    Lard MMMM.
    It's very moreish. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im sure the boss really learned his lesson after that one.

Advertisement