Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Im sure the boss really learned his lesson after that one.

Got to be a certain amount of satisfaction with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bohsboy wrote: »
    I'd loved to have worked there, found out when the guy was in a bad mood, and to have had a little bottle of ghost chili juice (400x hotter than jalapeno, borderline same strength as some milder pepper sprays), and to have quickly given the dough a rub of it beforehand. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'd loved to have worked there, found out when the guy was in a bad mood, and to have had a little bottle of ghost chili juice (400x hotter than jalapeno, borderline same strength as some milder pepper sprays), and to have quickly given the dough a rub of it beforehand. :D

Deep Heat wins every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does there? Maybe for someone with issues .
    Even if it was dough going in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Anyone with a half a brain that has seen the way meat plants take in "downer" cattle and use them in the food chain has got to have had a bit of a shivver up their spine. Leaving the utter, abject vicious cruelty of the whole thing aside(hah) you'd be a bit wary of eating corned beef, meat pies or the like. Speaking of pies, if you see the pastry being made you tend to get a bit "hmm"ey about them too. Ingredients: 1 ton of pure fat lard, slopped into a mixer, with some other unrecognisable things that pass for foodstuffs, mix well and roll out into "dough". My stomach turned a few loops anyway..

I think a lot of the footage on this video wouldn't be out of place with a hidden camera-style 'the horror of how it's actually made' video, but the company proudly displays their name at the end!

• Advertisement

Deep Heat wins every time!
    I think you're underestimating ghost chilis :D. You can get them on chicken wings in La Cantina in Dundrum if you're ever around there. Be warned though, I got them once and they literally get you to sign a medical release form beforehand!

This guys reaction is pretty accurate! Another warning though - turn it off around 3:10 if you don't like watching people vomit (which thankfully I avoided, but I did feel a bit nauseas for a while):

Every sneeze. Every cough. Every wee. Every fart(!). Every... uhm, other stuff, is like a chemical fire leaving your body for about two days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

D-FENS wrote: »
    I didn’t work there but I heard a German visitor to a well known confectionary company was caught drinking from the chocolate supply and actually fell into it.

Was this the fat kid in Willy Wonka ant The Chocolate Factor by any chance lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh i could write a book about the stuff the bosses don't want the public to know about my job, but i'd be landed in jail before i could finish the first sentence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I worked in JD Sports in Liffey Valley and what a lot of people don't know about travellers is that they're rude, entitled, insufferable pr*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

dar100 wrote: »
    Was this the fat kid in Willy Wonka ant The Chocolate Factor by any chance lol:D

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Used to work in well known cinema chain.

Used to make up popcorn during the day when it was quiet and then store in big see through bin bags in the back and when it got busy this would go into the popcorn cases out the front.

Mice used to eat through these bin bags out the back and one evening when one of the girls who worked there was putting the popcorn into the front cases a dead mouse was mixed in amongst popcorn.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 DMR1861

The staff despise the customers and legitimately do not give a **** if they can help or not.

Probably true for all businesses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

My libellous anecdotes are as follows;

Used to work for a well known Irish soft drinks company.

Factory floor folklore had it that the Rock Shandy flavour came about when a mix of Orange was accidentally pumped into a vat of Lemon. Management didn't want to waste the product so Marketing came up with a new flavour and labelled it for sale.

Red Lemonade & White Lemonade were/are the exact same drink except for so Red Food Colouring that has absolutely no effect on the taste.

Once had a big sugar spill that had to be manually put back into storage I.e. Shovels and yard brushes...that had been used in the yard amongst other places.
    Every shovel-full went back into circulation but not before every wasp and fly in the greater Dublin area had a lick.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I worked in a hotel in the mini club for a few months. I was just an intern so legally wasn't allowed to be left alone with the kids. However, they managed to make mess of the holidays so myself and another intern were left alone minding a bunch of 4-8 year olds that spoke about 5 or 6 different languages between them. To make things worse, one of the kids was throwing rocks at the glass and hurting the other children so we threw him out (he arrived without parents so we weren't obligated to mind him, apparently) and we went to get the head of our department to help us deal with the situation. That meant there was just one intern with all of these kids. The other intern came back saying the boss said he had no idea what to do and we had to deal with it.
    In this company, I was also abandoned in the mini club for the entire afternoon session because the full time one couldn't be bothered with it. Most of the kids were German and my German is very limited. And again, this was illegal since I was just an intern.
    Oh, the best part? Interns didn't have background checks done on them so we could have been anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

My libellous anecdotes are as follows;

Used to work for a well known Irish soft drinks company.

Factory floor folklore had it that the Rock Shandy flavour came about when a mix of Orange was accidentally pumped into a vat of Lemon. Management didn't want to waste the product so Marketing came up with a new flavour and labelled it for sale.

Red Lemonade & White Lemonade were/are the exact same drink except for so Red Food Colouring that has absolutely no effect on the taste.

Once had a big sugar spill that had to be manually put back into storage I.e. Shovels and yard brushes...that had been used in the yard amongst other places.
    Every shovel-full went back into circulation but not before every wasp and fly in the greater Dublin area had a lick.

Wouldn't blame the wasps and flies tbh, would've had a lick myself given half the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Wouldn't blame the wasps and flies tbh, would've had a lick myself given half the chance.

Hew talking about a sugar spill, not a fanny spill :)

Well that's obviously not true. Red lemonade and white lemonade taste totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

danotroy wrote: »
    I think this is BS. Pub talk.

Yeah I've worked in several bars in the past and it is little more than BS.

Pubs have slightly leaky taps, or you might get the odds keg that wont pour right for whatever reason so you collect the waste in the drip trays. This isn't the publicans fault and so they shouldn't have to pay so the Diageos and Heinekens offer a fill and return a keg and get one in credit. This is in everyones favour as the big companies don't want their name synonymous with mank beer. That said, it is possible to pour beer back into kegs but you have to let all of the pressure (compressed air or whatever it is) out of it otherwise you'll get drenched. Once the pressure is gone it's gone and the only way to get it out is with a straw or to turn it upside down!

The things that do go on - if someone orders an extra/wrong pint by accident, this will be poured into other peoples pints. Jameson / Baileys Irish Coffees are more than likely going to be made with the cheapest **** in Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

kopkidda wrote: »
    Used to work in well known cinema chain.

Used to make up popcorn during the day when it was quiet and then store in big see through bin bags in the back and when it got busy this would go into the popcorn cases out the front.

Mice used to eat through these bin bags out the back and one evening when one of the girls who worked there was putting the popcorn into the front cases a dead mouse was mixed in amongst popcorn.

While in college many moons ago, I worked in a cinema in Dublin city centre, and the same problem with mice and popcorn. The mice used to open the prepared bags and munch away . Also the mice used to fall out of the ceiling and fall on the chocolate bars and staff would remove the ones they noticed with little tears from nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

Worked with Domino's few months ago, every fecking is frozen nothing is frech even the pizza base, if u get a pizza from tesco for 2 euro to 22 euro pizza from them its the same unless ur a lazy *****

the toillet in store is ....... I couldn't find the words for it, just imagine anything.....

• Advertisement

140490 wrote: »
    Worked with Domino's few months ago, every fecking is frozen nothing is frech even the pizza base, if u get a pizza from tesco for 2 euro to 22 euro pizza from them its the same unless ur a lazy *****

the toillet in store is ....... I couldn't find the words for it, just imagine anything.....
    There's a pizza thread from a few weeks back. Try telling this to the people that reckon €16 for a standard sized pizza is worth it because "Dominos is the best... waddaya mean I'm buying the brand, not the product!? :mad: "

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

140490 wrote: »

I have never had a Domino's and one has opened recently near my work, I was looking forward to getting it some night as everyone says Domino's is awesome. Think I'll stick to the chinese now lol. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Liamalone wrote: »
    I have never had a Domino's and one has opened recently near my work, I was looking forward to getting it some night as everyone says Domino's is awesome. Think I'll stick to the chinese now lol. Thanks

Out of the flying pan, into the flier you might say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Even if they are frozen, they still taste nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

Worked in a deli not in Ireland where the lads used to enjoy fcuking with any rude customers.
    They would make pizzas and subs,kitchen was off set and they would drop the meat on the ground,spit in the food,shove their hand down their backside and thrn rub the base of the pizza.
    Seriously sick ****,I always made my own grub and never piss off an Italian deli is whst I took from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ever since I had a dodgy dominoes pizza with sausage toppings on it years ago which had me puking for half the night, I can't go near dominoes or sausage as a topping for that matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Billy86 wrote: »
    There's a pizza thread from a few weeks back.

Would you have a link handy? I wouldn't mind reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I know a Dublin Pub that has been selling Dunphy's whiskey as Jameson for years.
    And some other vodka crap for Smirnoff must be making a killing from it.

Nobody's noticed mind you.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Would you have a link handy? I wouldn't mind reading that
    Can't find it off-hand, but it might have come up in the 'best frozen pizza' thread that has resurfaced in the last day or two now that I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Advertisement