Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Some of those shows haven't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I'm not someone who thinks that all change is bad. I also think that some presenters are better in one time-slot than in another. For example, I remember not being impressed with Rick and Ruth in the morning some years back, but love Rick O'Shea in the afternoon. And I actually thought Ryan Tubridy was fine when he presented the Full Irish on 2fm, but haven't liked him where he is now.

Obviously, all of this is subjective, and part of me says "wait and see" with the new 2fm schedule. But another part of me says "this doesn't sound like it's going to work......"

No more 2FM Rewind. It was handy for those working during the day who missed the shows or emigrants in different time zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

radiofreak wrote: »
    I hear the Zig and Zag Show is making a comeback. :)
    She will be co-presenting Mon-Fri 11-2 with Nicky Byrne.
    I hear he will be presenting the weekend Breakfast show.

You are definitely hearing these things from some source, aren't you? You're not merely making your own guesses, are you?

Just askin'. :o:o:):)

Skid X wrote: »
    Press Release about the new evening schedule here

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0213/504139-2fm-announces-new-night-time-schedule/

Here's the current line-up

2fm Schedule Announced to Date:

Weekdays
    7am-9am Breakfast Republic presented by Jennifer Maguire, Keith Walsh and Bernard O'Shea - begins Monday February 17

9am-11am Tubridy

11am-2pm The Nicky Byrne Show

2pm-4.30pm The Rick O'Shea Show

4.30pm-7pm Drive By with Colm Hayes

7pm-8pm Game On

8pm-10pm The Louise McSharry Show

10pm-1am Bottom of the Barrel with Chris and Ciara

Weekends
    Breakfast TBA

10am-12pm Fanning on 2fm

12pm-2pm Weekends with Larry Gogan

2pm-5pm Weekenders with Ruth & Paddy

5pm-7pm The Will Leahy Show

From 7pm TBA

Calling your show 'Bottom of the barrel' is either clever or just asking for trouble.

None of those titles are inspired, IMHO.

And many of them aren't really necessary - especially the "The [whoever] Show" ones.

I can't help but make comparisons with the BBC again - most of the shows on Radio 1 and Radio 2 don't have formal titles, instead very simply being named for the DJs presenting them (Scott Mills, Annie Nightingale, Ken Bruce, Huey Morgan etc).

And the titles that are used have at least five times more charm than any of the ones above, like My Playlister and Desmond Carrington: The Music Goes Round.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭bureau2009

So, who exactly is axed from the 2FM new schedule?

Hector
    John Clarke
    Damien Farrelly?
    Michael Cahill?
    Dan Hegarty?
    Donal Dineen?
    Aidan Leonard?

Anyone any clearer about this than I am? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Will jenny greene still have her Friday night show or just electric disco on sat night.

Those that have been have taken off air...what are their positions within RTE now? I'm sure some won't be too comfortable staying working behind the scenes / as producers in 2FM...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

bureau2009 wrote: »

Hector
    John Clarke
    Damien Farrelly?
    Michael Cahill?
    Dan Hegarty?
    Donal Dineen?
    Aidan Leonard?

Dan Hegarty is still on but the show starts at 1 am from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I heard the new breakfast show team this morning, my Lord they are an annoying group of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I heard the new breakfast show team this morning, my Lord they are an annoying group of people.

I thought they don't start till Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I thought they don't start till Monday?

They were on for a few minutes with Alan Swan before he signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

Chris green is An annoying radio presenter. I would say the new boss is hoping the iradio listeners come over to listen to the show.

Rick is now the only show I well have on weekdays.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jvan wrote: »
    They were on for a few minutes with Alan Swan before he signed off.

Hardly fair to make a judgement on them based on a few minutes guest appearance on a show.

Those that are as of yet somewhat unknown quantities on radio (namely the breakfast show guys and Nicky Byrne) should be given a bit of time. They might surprise us all and be the best shows on radio in six months time.

Although, it's hard to have much confidence in any decisions made by someone who thinks Colm Hayes will make a better drivetime host than Will Leahy... Hayes has proven to be consistently abysmal since his move to 2FM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

cena wrote: »
    Chris green is An annoying radio presenter. I would say the new boss is hoping the iradio listeners come over to listen to the show.

Rick is now the only show I well have on weekdays.

I think they'll get a good few moving over from iRadio to listen to Chris & Ciara - I'm going to tune in, and i don't think Ive listened to 2FM voluntarily in 2 or 3 years. They might be annoying (which they are a little, but its part of their charm IMO), but it'll bring new listeners to 2FM.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Hardly fair to make a judgement on them based on a few minutes guest appearance on a show.

Those that are as of yet somewhat unknown quantities on radio (namely the breakfast show guys and Nicky Byrne) should be given a bit of time. They might surprise us all and be the best shows on radio in six months time.

Although, it's hard to have much confidence in any decisions made by someone who thinks Colm Hayes will make a better drivetime host than Will Leahy... Hayes has proven to be consistently abysmal since his move to 2FM...

You only get one chance to make a first impression and I thought they sounded awful but you're right, they might be good so I'll reserve my judgement until Monday when I hear the show properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You only get one chance to make a first impression and I thought they sounded awful but you're right, they might be good so I'll reserve my judgement until Monday when I hear the show properly.

It can take a year to bed in a new Radio show, and sometimes longer. Every popular radio programme in this country took time to settle down.

To give any kind of serious judgement on them on the basis of one show would be ridiculous. It would be like selling a football player immediately because he missed his first shot at goal.

It can take a year to bed in a new Radio show, and sometimes longer. Every popular radio programme in this country took time to settle down.

To give any kind of serious judgement on them on the basis of one show would be ridiculous. It would be like selling a football player immediately because he missed his first shot at goal.

I'm sure they will take time to settle in but if I tune in on Monday and I don't like what I hear why would I continue listening to their show knowing that there are other shows out there that I would happily listen to. I'm not into the format of forced laughter and zany crap that radio stations seem to think make a good breakfast show, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm sure they will take time to settle in but if I tune in on Monday and I don't like what I hear why would I continue listening to their show knowing that there are other shows out there that I would happily listen to. I'm not into the format of forced laughter and zany crap that radio stations seem to think make a good breakfast show, but that's just my opinion.

You are probably never going to like them if you don't like that style of radio. But that doesn't mean you can objectively dismiss them as 'awful' as based on a few minutes on someone elses show.

The 'forced laughter and zany crap that radio stations seem to think make a good breakfast show' is a style which many listeners (and advertisers) do like.

You are probably never going to like them if you don't like that style of radio. But that doesn't mean you can objectively dismiss them as 'awful' as based on a few minutes on someone elses show.

The 'forced laughter and zany crap that radio stations seem to think make a good breakfast show' is a style which many listeners (and advertisers) do like.

I'm willing to give them a chance but based on what I heard the other day with the 3 of them talking over eachother while talking about 'calling around to people's houses to clean up their children's poo poo' doesn't bode well I'm afraid.
    As you say, only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

When the new schedule fully starts it will be the first time that none of the original 1979 djs will be on the weekday schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

bureau2009 wrote: »

Hector
    John Clarke
    Damien Farrelly?
    Michael Cahill?
    Dan Hegarty?
    Donal Dineen?
    Aidan Leonard?

Dineen is gone unfortunately it seems :(
    DonalDineen's Parish ‏@dineensparish 1h

Sadly RadioActivity Sundays are soon to expire. Great music fixes things & in this Golden Age of sound I hope it's been of some use.TBC ASAP

dr Golden wrote: »
    When the new schedule fully starts it will be the first time that none of the original 1979 djs will be on the weekday schedule.

I think there was a period (2010) after Gerry Ryan died that Larry Gogan was on the weekends on 2FM and Dave Fanning on Radio 1 weekdays along with his recorded show on 2FM on Sunday nights.
    These were the 3 original presenters still at the station.

Dineen is gone unfortunately it seems :(

Seems Dan the hatchet man is getting rid of the presenters with a genuine interest in music

I think there was a period (2010) after Gerry Ryan died that Larry Gogan was on the weekends on 2FM and Dave Fanning on Radio 1 weekdays along with his recorded show on 2FM on Sunday nights.
    These were the 3 original presenters still at the station.
    Nope Larry gogan on weekends and fanning on radio 1 was from 2007/2009, so G Ryan was still around.

It must be welcomed that Dan Healy is bringing back live programming to evenings and nights.

dr Golden wrote: »
    It must be welcomed that Dan Healy is bringing back live programming to evenings and nights.

It won't last very long though. They will be back to voicetracking Dave Fanning from 8pm.

Is dan going to get rid of the awful dance music at the weekend overnights too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I didn't hear the terrific trio this am and their new show (McGuire, O Shea and Walsh) but the Indo's review of their performance was less than complimentary. In fact it's dubbed as terrible with slots called Keith's cock, Jen's lady bits, Manky moment etc. appearing a copy and paste of their tv work.

The journo makes a good suggestion - they should be the complete opposite of as they are now - laidback, sincere and cool.

This is only going to pile on the pressure as the head of RTE has said that 2fm has 2 years to stand on its own two feet. Looks like it has a long way to go after this morning's debut by the breakfast republic.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I heard it up until 8.30(yes I am a glutton for punishment). It was car crash radio at its worst and they seemed to acknowledge the fact. to me they are like a trio that know they wont last long and at least 1 of them will be gone as part of a "re-structuring" of the show following extensive listener feedback or some tripe that Dan Hegarty will spout after the ratings come it showing dire fallout.

When is Dave Fanning's final evening time show. By reading this it looks like it is unlikely he will go back to music radio, end of an era?:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/dave-fanning-tells-how-gerry-3153497

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

When do Chris and Ciara start? Or have they already?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement