Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

byte wrote: »
    Yep, moved to Friday nights at 10pm now.

But apparently he'll be playing "indie and some dance" with a "festival feel".

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

Funny how everyone seems to fault every schedule change even though the station was in dire straits for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think the main problem is that even though the listenership is down, most feel that the changes Dan Healy is making will not improve it, infact it will make it worse. Of course time will tell when the latest JNLR's come out. Nicky McFadden might be the only success, the breakfast show and Colm Hayes will probably be down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Funny how everyone seems to fault every schedule change even though the station was in dire straits for years.

Well, they've removed the only show i ever listened to on their channel so i feel i'm justified in finding faults with the changes.

I caught a bit of Lottie Ryan on my drive in to work the other morning. Dire. A terrible broadcaster.

If that and the confused mess of a mix station is all of the rest of what they have to offer then i have no reason to ever listen again.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

But apparently he'll be playing "indie and some dance" with a "festival feel".

No thanks.
    Yeah, that is a bit of a concern, but I'll give it a go, if I'm near the computer (the only time at night I'd listen to the radio).

Used to like Powerhouse on Phantom too on occasion, but that was shifted to earlier on Sunday evenings so don't listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The new music policy is largely ignoring any music from the 90s, especialy the better half of the decade - from 1990 to 1995. Even larrys golden hour is focusing on the awful 00's. They shouldnt publicise no music pre 1990, it is more like pre 2000 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

So when is the next new 2fm schedule coming ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So when is the next new 2fm schedule coming ?

Not soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Radioman44

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not soon enough
    Lets not get too excited. After all, it's just moving the usual lot around or giving a second job to others already in a job. Seems to be what most Radio Stations here practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I tend to agree with those who have already said on here that 2FM will be sold off to a private company, now whether thats a UK based company like Global or Bauer or UTV or Communicorp is open to speculation. Clearly if either UTV or Communicorp were to come in for 2FM they would have to sell off other stations within their portfolio. 2FM is no longer sustainable given its chronicly diminishing listenership and huge cost to the tax payer.

As an aside if a new owner were to take control of 2FM I could see merit in tackling the Dublin versus country divide by having 2 different breakfast shows and drivetime shows, one specific to Dublin while another broadcast to outside the pale. Its obvious that what appeals to listeners in Nenagh doesnt hold true for listeners in Clontarf even if they fall within the same demographic. Aside from Breakfast and Drive, the rest of the schedule during weekdays could be common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

I don't believe for a single second that 2fm will be sold off. There are 4 issues to consider here

1. Profit or loss - by all accounts 2fm is not making money at present but whether it's actually loss making is another issue. Truth is that it's made a lot of money for Rte over the years and as the economy recovers so will it's revenue pushing it back into profit. Cross subsidisation across business units is not uncommon in many organisations

2. Independents - they've been whining for years about how they're not making money and have suggested subventions. Why , I'll never know considering they're private operators who obtained licences with their eyes wide open!

3. Sell off - who'd buy and in who's interest would it be to sell it off ? If it disappeared ( often suggested) then it would leave Denis O'Brien with a clean sweep of national independents . Does anyone think that would be desirable ?

4 the station is again repositioning itself
    & it could still work. It'll need at least a full year's JNLR to show that . Just because most of us here are 21 + Vat doesn't mean Dan Healy is wrong

As for the "we're all paying for it" lark , it really doesn't hold that much water . The highest charges in broadcasting are news gathering and to be honest that's why Rte is still primary news source in Ireland . As for your taxes, think you might like to have a word with the banks

For the record and before the criticism I've never worked for or been in any way connected with Rte , though I've worked for some independents

• Registered Users Posts: 68,091 ✭✭✭✭L1011

radioland wrote: »
    Truth is that it's made a lot of money for Rte over the years and as the economy recovers so will it's revenue pushing it back into profit.

Its market share has collapsed since the days it was making money; and its competitors managed to generally avoid losing money (unless they already were) during the recession. 2FM can't blame the recession on becoming loss making.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

If it disappeared ( often suggested) then it would leave Denis O'Brien with a clean sweep of national independents . Does anyone think that would be desirable ?

Denis O'Brien already has a clean sweep of national independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

1. Profit or loss - by all accounts 2fm is not making money at present but whether it's actually loss making is another issue. Truth is that it's made a lot of money for Rte over the years and as the economy recovers so will it's revenue pushing it back into profit. Cross subsidisation across business units is not uncommon in many organisations

2fm made losses of €13 million between 2010 and 2012. Last years figures haven't been released yet, but doubt there has been much of a recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sports Bra

Lottie Ryan will be getting a daily evening show at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,802 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sports Bra wrote: »

What previous experience does she have of taking on a daily evening show of a national broadcaster at 7pm? What were the figures of her previous shows or has she ever had a previous prime time show? She seemed to come to prime time quick, I don't recall her on any scanger FM channel first, how come?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What previous experience does she have of taking on a daily evening show of a national broadcaster at 7pm? What were the figures of her previous shows or has she ever had a previous prime time show? She seemed to come to prime time quick, I don't recall her on any scanger FM channel first, how come?

Who's your daddy?

Seems to be the way it works in RTE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sports Bra wrote: »

FFS she is abysmal.

Bloody nepotism in RTE again. Everything she says is read from a script, and she has the whiniest voice I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The Sun or one of the tabloids are saying that Nicky Byrne will take over Tubridy slot, while Tubridy moves to Radio 1 between 9-10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any source for the Lottie Ryan thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

They'll probably throw her onto one of the internet channels like xfm or gold or whatever they're called.
    Like i know anything from 7pm to 7am is the graveyard shift but they're hardly getting rid of game on so the atrocious spawn of golden Gerry can be looked after.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any source for the Lottie Ryan thing?

Common sense would probably dictate that it's a correct assumption given that she's been getting a lot of fill in work lately AFAIK.

But then, it's one of these new acounts that'll be closed in another week that posted it, so as usual take it with a grain of salt.

I dunno. I sort of feel a bit sorry for Lottie Ryan. I mean, if I were offered a job at a national broadcaster I'd probably take it too, even if the best thing for me would be to spend a few years working for a local or community station (or hell, why not one of the digital stations if RTE are so desperate to keep the dynasty going?) and actually develop as a presenter. As it is, she's just being handed slots by virtue of who her father was, and by the time she actually becomes a competent presenter the audience will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,091 ✭✭✭✭L1011

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    But then, it's one of these new acounts that'll be closed in another week that posted it, so as usual take it with a grain of salt.

When it comes to 2FM they've been incredibly accurate to date, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Looking forward to Lottie opening the show with this track..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I somehow doubt this is true. Game On isn't great, but does it gets 20 times more listeners than Lottie's weekend show.

Whatever happened to Rex Ryan's radio sitcom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

There's so many needy kids of Golden Gerry that I'm surprised RTE haven't offered them a Keeping up with the Ryan's reality TV show,
    All Morah needs to do is find herself a successful athlete from the 70's who has a hankering for high heels and lip gloss, what's Eamonn Coghlan doing with himself nowadays?
    Oh **** i should keep my mouth shut I've probably given them an idea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

Bring back Will Leahy in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Rock Solid wrote: »
    Bring back Will Leahy in the afternoons.

can I thank this multiple times? The odd occasion I listen on a sunday afternoon I realise how great he is/was!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Ginzo

No harm getting Tubs back on Radio 1. Not really the target market for 2fm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sports Bra

The fall 2015 2fm schedule will look something like this 6am breakfast republic 9am The Nicky Byrne show 12 noon Chris & Caira 2.30pm Rick o Shea, 5pm Eoghan McDermott, after 7pm Lottie Ryan, Stephen Byrne and Louise Mc Sharry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement