Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Quite possibly, but if Mux2 and Mux1 are being broadcast at the same strength from the same location or whatever, surely Mux2 should be receivable too then?

I think the answer to your question is in the 2nd sentence post #330.

Btw I'm receiving Saorview RTE1 HD from Maghera, at least 50 miles away. 60% strenght, 100% quality, Toshiba 40RV753B tv. Using One for All flat indoor amplified aerial propped against SW facing window.
    Advantage of living in flat midlands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . if Mux2 and Mux1 are being broadcast at the same strength from the same location or whatever, surely Mux2 should be receivable too then?

Not necessarily: transmissions at different frequencies will perform differently WRT coverage. Usually this will only be noticeable in weaker signal areas but, with indoor aerials, all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Philgammell

RTE1 is gone from my Saorview. I've retuned the channels on my Walker Saorview box and all the channels are there except RTE1. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

RTE1 has moved frequency...where you based?? have you check up around no11?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

On post #321 last night I made the claim that the signal quality of TV and radio channels were different today upon looking at the signal quality I can only conclude that I was not thinking straight last night :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

It's funny - last week when the Mux 2 launched, I was barely getting a signal in Belfast with my indoor loft aerial (whereas I was still getting everything from Mux 1 perfectly).

But later in the week and continually since then, I'm getting both fine with the indoor aerial. No picture breakup at all now on RTE1 HD or RTE1 +1. Did they change something after the 1st couple of days?

. . . But later in the week and continually since then, I'm getting both fine with the indoor aerial. No picture breakup at all now on RTE1 HD or RTE1 +1. Did they change something after the 1st couple of days?

Only someone in the know could say for sure if there were changes. Doubt it though: just some random small improvement in propagation conditions, liable to revert to the earlier situation at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

RTE One on Mux2 has been getting better yesterday evening and this morning.

It actually shows picture for more than 1 second at least

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Am I the only one who thinks Saorview is a bit of a mess ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Not just Saorview but the country as well
    The Government should have power to state clearly of what is the spec set by 2RN or some other body and they should enforce the seller not to bring in substandard equipment that will not function fully to Saorview.
    Like France do set down clearly what equipment are needed for the consumers to buy.
    Same problem in UK when BBC have said they will use T2 but big electrical retailer still bring in DVB-T MPEG-2 and still selling them today.
    So everyone is at fault for buying substandard even they known is not fully Saorview approved and for others who doesn't know any better then the retailer should advise clearly but no, they want to sell anything to make profits.
    Like some other members in here have given their time to help out neighbors to do a retune for nothing, like myself help a few people out for nothing, a few minutes retune and some had their signal over amplified. Disconnect their booster cured the problem and some were too weak with bad aerial setup or indoor aerial with wrong band aerial.
    I know some local aerial installers where also miss-informed the confused the consumers in order to get money for re-adjusting the aerial when it just need a retune
    Some consumers will not pay for a good basic aerial setup; even they paid a lot of money for a top-end TV. This is not just Saorview or Freeview fault if people will not pay for proper aerial setup.
    That is my view.

• Advertisement

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Saorview is a bit of a mess ?

And of course you have a well formulated list of reasons for arriving at this verdict?

And a well thought out system of rating different broadcasting setups, either completely objectively or in comparison to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Cant get my Walker WP645TS HD Saorview/FTA receiver box to work properly?

It was working fine up until about 2 weeks ago.....then BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc disappeared?!

I have tried to re-scan the 'SatFree' section but it states "no home transponder found"???

Any ideas how to sort this out?

(RTE, TV3 etc working fine)

Souriau wrote: »
    . . . big electrical retailer still bring in DVB-T MPEG-2 and still selling them today.

I'd seriously doubt there is much MPEG2-only stuff left, anything that costs more than 20 quid anyway. Of course, all sold in UK should be DVB-T2 & big name kit all seems to be now, even the entry-level models.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Silvera wrote: »
    Cant get my Walker WP645TS HD Saorview/FTA receiver box to work properly?

It was working fine up until about 2 weeks ago.....then BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc disappeared?!

I have tried to re-scan the 'SatFree' section but it states "no home transponder found"???

Any ideas how to sort this out?

I don't own one myself but assuming you're carrying out the scan correctly I would look at dish alignment or LNB problem. Have you checked the cable connection to the Walker and to the LNB on the dish?

Can you test the dish with another satellite receiver?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

mux2 is very good on 2 smart tvs and a combo in crumlin from 3 rock, 99% coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

What a mess indeed.

This is what happens when you optimise 1 mux over another.

This is what happens when you continue to keep two sets of the same channels on at the one time.

This is what happens when you spread out the launching of Muxes. People have their aerial setups optimised for one mux frequency either through luck or deliberate implementation. Carnage when people autoscan and have lots of TX sites tuning in.

If Mux 2 is stronger in certain areas and not in others, this is a mess that can be solved by aerial installers to balance too much RF, incorrectly aligned aerials/the use of completely wrong grouped aerials, that have been just luckily working up until now.

Not having a guide sticky for all known boxes (especially unapproved) showing how to rescan and delete the unwanted double TX.

God help those who dont RTFM. Even then those people are in the lap of the gods as to how Mux 2 will cooperate with their aerial setup. Every cowboy will be out worrying the sheep.

STB wrote: »
    . . . This is what happens when you optimise 1 mux over another.

Why would it be necessary to 'optimise 1 mux over another'? Fewer transmitters, coming from 4 analogue channels, & don't use the loss of band III as an excuse. And the mux 2 frequencies don't seem to be any more restricted WRT UK allocations.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I'd seriously doubt there is much MPEG2-only stuff left, anything that costs more than 20 quid anyway. Of course, all sold in UK should be DVB-T2 & big name kit all seems to be now, even the entry-level models.
    I have been looking out for a 26" or 28" Freeview HD/Saorview approved for the kitchen. Doesn't seem to be much available.

egal wrote: »
    I have been looking out for a 26" or 28" Freeview HD/Saorview approved for the kitchen. Doesn't seem to be much available.

How many 'big name' tvs of that size have you looked at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The following are on the argos.ie website and still in stock.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/14419616/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|DVD%2C+blu-ray+and+video+players|14419615/c_3/3|cat_14419615|DVD+recorders|14419616.htm

Should not be happening. Two of them listed as Freeview+ recorders. I'd call them 'radio' recorders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Mux 2, channel 14/2104 is carrying live subtitles for TG4
    This channel is HD , Is this possible for TG4 HD to come onair by Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Don't know if this is the right place but here goes.
    Did the rescan yesterday and rte1 is gone to hell...pic breaking up and is more like a set of stills than moving pictures. All other terrestrial channels are OK and old rte1 with the rescan instruction looks OK.
    Recievng signal from cairn hill near Longford

Same problem here (Carrigaline), since I retuned the new RTE1 in HD is a basket case, unwatchable. All other channels are perfect, no issues with RTE2 HD, outside aerials and aerial amp, never had issues previously. Newish Samsung MPEG4 TV.
    For now I can watch RTE1 old the old SD frequency, but not sure how long this will last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

RTE One on Mux2 has been getting better yesterday evening and this morning.

It actually shows picture for more than 1 second at least

same here. still getting a BER rate of 200-400 though but no breakup of picture. I think the aerial is out of alignment but a few degrees having looked at it compared to others around the area.

rsmike wrote: »
    Same problem here (Carrigaline), since I retuned the new RTE1 in HD is a basket case, unwatchable. All other channels are perfect, no issues with RTE2 HD, outside aerials and aerial amp, never had issues previously.

What frequencies are Mux1 and Mux2 coming in on?

You say you have "outside aerials and aerial amp", how many aerials? Were your aerials and amp setup for Mullaghanish?

If so the problem could be signal overload. Mux2 from Mullaghanish appears to be much stronger than Mux1. I have a similar setup in NE Co Limerick (92km from Mullaghanish) and had a similar problem with Mux2 last week.

What transmitter does the Saoview coverage checker recommend for your location - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/. The Crosshaven and Mullaghanish transmitters appears to be recommended for the Carrigaline area.

Mullaghanish - Mux1 = 21, Mux2 = 24
    Crosshaven - Mux1 = 46, Mux2 = 56

Souriau wrote: »
    Is this possible for TG4 HD to come onair by Christmas?
    It's possible but another retune would be required. At least most Mux2 reception problems should be sorted by then.

The Cush wrote: »
    It's possible but another retune would be required. At least most Mux2 reception problems should be sorted by then.

do you think once the other channels(rte1 etc) are removed from their existing mux the reception problems will not be as bad?

do you think once the other channels(rte1 etc) are removed from their existing mux the reception problems will not be as bad?

No.

The reception problems have nothing to do with what channels/services are carried on each Mux. The reception problems mainly appear to be aerial or receiver related.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

The Cush wrote: »
    What frequencies are Mux1 and Mux2 coming in on?

You say you have "outside aerials and aerial amp", how many aerials? Were your aerials and amp setup for Mullaghanish?

If so the problem could be signal overload. Mux2 from Mullaghanish appears to be much stronger than Mux1. I have a similar setup in NE Co Limerick (92km from Mullaghanish) and had a similar problem with Mux2 last week.

What transmitter does the Saoview coverage checker recommend for your location - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/. The Crosshaven and Mullaghanish transmitters appears to be recommended for the Carrigaline area.

Mullaghanish - Mux1 = 21, Mux2 = 24
    Crosshaven - Mux1 = 46, Mux2 = 56

Thanks for reply, I will have to check the Mux settings ( not at home at the moment)

I have two aerials, both newish, the larger one was originally fitted for TV3 and this points to Mullaghanish I think, the smaller points pretty much in the opposite direction towards Crosshaven.

The coverage map recommends Crosshaven.

The coverage map seems to be recommending changing the whole of tullamore to kippure from cairn hill, where all the aerials are currently pointing at!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Why would it be necessary to 'optimise 1 mux over another'? Fewer transmitters, coming from 4 analogue channels, & don't use the loss of band III as an excuse. And the mux 2 frequencies don't seem to be any more restricted WRT UK allocations.

Well it isnt just that the optimised mux on its own that creates issues. It is all the things listed together.

A lot of the first set of mux frequency were located orginally as considered to be the most suitable by geographic location. Then people got aerial installers in who peaked the signal for that arrangement. Mux 2 is launched on the second set of most preffered frequencies. The power is turned up. Peoples aerial setups become prone to RF overload through previous use of masthead amps. On the opposite end of the scale is where people dont get the second mux at all as the strength of Mux 2 over Mux 1 is not universal.

Throw into the mix the confusion of having left the RTE1 SD and +1 on Mux 1 and people have 2 sets of channels, one of which will disappear in a week and we have a revolving door scenario. There are people who dont think they have a problem right now as they are still watching the SD RTE.

There are also a of genuine numbers of people who dont understand how to retune a digital box.

Advertisement