Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Thanks for reply. Deliberate - that's interesting but VERY frustrating. Guess we'll have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Grats wrote: »
    Deliberate - that's interesting but VERY frustrating. Guess we'll have to live with it.

Loudness, new EBU recommendations for European broadcasters - http://www.r128audio.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Grats wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Deliberate - that's interesting but VERY frustrating. Guess we'll have to live with it.

I rarely watch live TV anymore and this is part of the reason. Record what you want to watch and then skip all the ads.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Thanks for that --- nothing is going to change for me as my magic box automatically deletes RTE 1 just after it finds it leaving the non - EPG RTE 1---- but that is another story !!

Try scanning MUX1 , MUX2 first in a different order.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

The Cush wrote: »
    This is the current channel line-up on Saorview .

Channel line-up by LCN
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(not used)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing.

Are the duplicates still on air? Any changes at all today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Nothing changed here.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Are the duplicates still on air?

Yes.
    Any changes at all today?

Just the new "RTE ONE HD" graphic on the HD version as opposed to the continuing "RTE ONE" graphic on the SD version on Mux1. At least it will show which version people should have tuned in, especially if they have an STB connected to a TV via a non-HD connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Yes.

Just the new "RTE ONE HD" graphic on the HD version as opposed to the continuing "RTE ONE" graphic on the SD version on Mux1. At least it will show which version people should have tuned in, especially if they have an STB connected to a TV via a non-HD connection.
    The RTE One HD version have digital text and subtitles while the RTE One SD verson doesn't have digital text and subtitles

RTE One HD had gone up to 9mbps. video 7.6mbps rest are audio and data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Any word of RTE One HD coming to Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I have read that it won't be on Sky until the New Year as they don't launch channels over Christmas. Also it might have to go on another transponder as there is not enough space on the current "RTÉ" one, (as they still have to keep the SD versions on it as well).
    Wonder if they'll put News Now on also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

I have an elderly relative living in West Limerick near the Kerry border.
    He has an aldi or maybe its a Lidl tevion telly in his kitchen. Since Monday his RTE 1 has disappeared for most of the time. All other stations are operating ok with strong signals
    He can get RTE 1 at channel 11fine with the rescan sign.
    He has a walker box on his bedroom telly and RTE 1 is fine there both on Channel 1 and 11.
    Both tellies are working through a distribution amplifier and all connections are fine.
    The Tevion on channel 1 shows channel 44, network RTENL2 modulation 64 QAM.
    All the other stations are on Channel 47 RTENL1 with a signal strength of 99 and quality of 99.
    What is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    I have an elderly relative living in West Limerick near the Kerry border.
    He has an aldi or maybe its a Lidl tevion telly in his kitchen. Since Monday his RTE 1 has disappeared for most of the time. All other stations are operating ok with strong signals
    He can get RTE 1 at channel 11fine with the rescan sign.
    He has a walker box on his bedroom telly and RTE 1 is fine there both on Channel 1 and 11.
    Both tellies are working through a distribution amplifier and all connections are fine.
    The Tevion on channel 1 shows channel 44, network RTENL2 modulation 64 QAM.
    All the other stations are on Channel 47 RTENL1 with a signal strength of 99 and quality of 99.
    What is the problem?

The problem is that the box, like most other things bought in Aldi/Lidl, is probably crap and not Saorview approved. Therefore the order of the channels will be messed up now, but he should still be able to receive it nonetheless.

-jp

jamesnp wrote: »
    The problem is that the box, like most other things bought in Aldi/Lidl, is probably crap and not Saorview approved. Therefore the order of the channels will be messed up now, but he should still be able to receive it nonetheless.

-jp
    Its a tevion television not a box and it is saorview approved. All the other stations are fine with 99% strength and quality. Its just that RTE 1 is loosing reception and just since Monday. Was that when they changed to hd.
    The Tevion telly is on the list of approved sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Its a tevion television not a box and it is saorview approved. All the other stations are fine with 99% strength and quality. Its just that RTE 1 is loosing reception and just since Monday. Was that when they changed to hd.
    The Tevion telly is on the list of approved sets.

Oh well. I stand corrected! Have you tried rescanning/resetting?

jamesnp wrote: »
    Oh well. I stand corrected! Have you tried rescanning/resetting?
    I will be calling to him in an hour or so but he is pretty good at these things and he has done both an auto and manual scan to no avail.
    He is expecting me to come up with a solution:eek:

I will be calling to him in an hour or so but he is pretty good at these things and he has done both an auto and manual scan to no avail.
    He is expecting me to come up with a solution:eek:

It's probably a signal strength issue, some tuners handle weaker/stronger signals better than others. Can you test the TV at the bedroom tv point and the Walker box at the kitchen TV point? Also swap around the distribution amp outputs.

It's probably a signal strength issue, some tuners handle weaker/stronger signals better than others. Can you test the TV at the bedroom tv point and the Walker box at the kitchen TV point? Also swap around the distribution amp outputs.
    He swapped the amp outlets without success. Its a bit tight getting to the cables in bedroom with dvds etc but I guess that will be my job.
    Is it unusual that its problems started on Monday without any disturbance and that all other stations have excellent reception

Is it unusual that its problems started on Monday without any disturbance and that all other stations have excellent reception

Probably just coincidence. RTÉ1 HD is on the same frequency as RTÉ Junior/RTÉ1+1, LCNs 7 & 8, how have they been?

Probably just coincidence. RTÉ1 HD is on the same frequency as RTÉ Junior/RTÉ1+1, LCNs 7 & 8, how have they been?
    Junior and plus 1 not good. 3 and tg4 perfect as is the other rte1 showing 99% signal and quality. Walker box does not have a problem with any station. Aerial is in the attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I am having an issue/problem with recording programmes on 1 Saorview channel while watching another. I am using a Saorview approved Triax TR112 ST box with a HDD TV. Prior to October, there was not a problem, the channel order remained the same whether recording or not. Now, if recording a programme on No. 2 (RTE 2), RTE 1 is only available on No. 11 not on No.1. If recording on No. 3 (TV3), RTE 1 is not available at all. I checked this out with Saorview and they advised that from early in the New Year, that it will not even be possible to record on one channel while watching another, using my current set-up. Is this correct or did I understand the position correctly? If it is correct, how can it be that the ST box that I purchased was Saorview approved and marketed with the facility of allowing a programme on 1 channel to be watched while recording on another channel? What has changed to make these ST boxes obsolete? Surely, if the case as outlined by Saorview, as I understood it, is correct, these set-top boxes should have been issued with a conditional Saorview approval or some other caveat attached, stating that they would not be fit for part of the purpose that they were approved and marketed for after a certain date? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the box only has one DVB-T tuner so you can only watch and record from the same mux. So if you're recording RTE Two you cannot watch RTE One or RTEjr/One+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Karsini wrote: »
    It sounds like the box only has one DVB-T tuner so you can only watch and record from the same mux. So if you're recording RTE Two you cannot watch RTE One or RTEjr/One+1.

That seems to be the case - but therefore, how could this not have been anticipated at the stage that these boxes were being given the Saorview seal of approval?

Maidhci wrote: »
    That seems to be the case - but therefore, how could this not have been anticipated at the stage that these boxes were being given the Saorview seal of approval?

The TR112 is a single tuner receiver, as are most zapper boxes, so you can only watch/record channels carried on a single mux/frequency.

Since the 21st Oct the Saorview channels are now split between two muxes/frequencies (see below) so a twin-tuner receiver will be required to watch/record channels carried on the 2 muxes/frequencies.

No requirement for a Saorview approved receiver to have 2 or more tuners.

The Triax TR212S is a twin tuner replacement for the TR112 you have and I think the only twin-tuner Saorview approved zapper box on the market - http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/settopboxesjuly_13.pdf. There is also a twin-tuner Saorview approved PVR with built-in HDD on the market but I've had problems recording with mine.

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    249*|SSU|data channel||
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|temporary, going in the New Year
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    17|no channel name (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|temporary, going in the New Year
    18|no channel name (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|temporary, going in the New Year
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    207*|(not used)||previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    250*|SSU|data channel|
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|TG4 subtitles and teletext previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|no audio

* Hidden on Saorview receivers but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Mheg-5 receivers displays a static off-air graphic shortly after changing channels

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Just to add to what Karsini & The Cush have said, the standard Saorview specification does not set down the ability to record one channel while watching another on the same receiver. Any such Saorview approved television or set-top-box receiver will only have the likes of recording to a USB drive or external hard drive as an additional extra, and if it has only one terrestrial tuner on board will not be able to record anything that is not broadcast on the same multiplex.

A Saorview Plus PVR will meet the specification of being able to watch one channel while recording another as such receivers have at least two terrestrial tuners and therefore can be tuned to two different multiplexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tj2011

I was wondering if anyone in the Cavan area is having problems with the RTE1 HD signal? I have no problems with any of the other Irish channels signal wise but RTE1 HD is dropping in signal strength from 100% down to 45 and sometimes 25% which is causing pixelation and break up so much so that I just watch RTE1 SD which has not break up at all....can anyone tell why this is happening? I have retuned several times but the problem is only on RTE1 HD on freq 44 I think? Thanks in advance for any help...confused.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gordare

tj, I'm in Kildare and have had the same problem, except my RTE 1 HD signal has now completely disappeared. I've tried to get it back by rescanning but to no avail, I'm just making do with RTE 1 SD now. That keeps saying that a rescan is required blah blah but, as I said, doing that doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

tj2011 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone in the Cavan area is having problems with the RTE1 HD signal? I have no problems with any of the other Irish channels signal wise but RTE1 HD is dropping in signal strength from 100% down to 45 and sometimes 25% which is causing pixelation and break up so much so that I just watch RTE1 SD which has not break up at all....can anyone tell why this is happening? I have retuned several times but the problem is only on RTE1 HD on freq 44 I think? Thanks in advance for any help...confused.png

A friend of mine had the same problem since the day that HD came out. All other channels were ok with the exception of plus and junior. See my previous posts.
    All other stations were showing full signal.
    Today I had a go at it and I moved the aerial slightly just a few degrees now RTE 1 HD is showing full signal and quality whereas 2 and 3 and TG 4 are now down to 97% but all stations are now perfect.
    I can only assume that RTE 1 HD is more tempremental and needed a slight adjustment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Nothing special about Kildare or Cavan: any problems will almost certainly be due to deficiencies in your own receiving aerial system.

More than likely you have a 'just good enough' signal on the multiplex (mux) carrying RTE1 SD, with the signal for the other mux (with RTE1 HD) only having to be slightly worse to render it unwatchable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I can only assume that RTE 1 HD is more tempremental and needed a slight adjustment.

Mux 2 is the same spec. signal as mux 1, just transmitted within a different 8 mHz of UHF bandwidth.

Advertisement