Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why this has happened ?

Maybe a weaker transmitter was tuned in on the problem TVs? Could be something on a lower frequency e.g. Arklow, Gallows Hill, Mullaghanish: depends where mandrk is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Maybe a weaker transmitter was tuned in on the problem TVs? Could be something on a lower frequency e.g. Arklow, Gallows Hill, Mullaghanish: depends where mandrk is located.

Hadn't thought of that --- I am only in range of one TX here -- apart from yours over there with an additional aerial.
    I wonder what is going to happen when MUX1 is turned off !!
    Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Hadn't thought of that --- I am only in range of one TX here -- apart from yours over there with an additional aerial.
    I wonder what is going to happen when MUX1 is turned off !!
    Regards.

Will still be there. Just RTE1, RTEjr and RTE 1+1 being removed from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mandrk

So the splitter is fed from the aerial-out of a STB at the TV point that is fed direct from the aerial?

No, aerial connected directly to mvision combo stb. This is working fine all be it with worse quality/strength on mux1. Then I've a second feed from the same aerial going to a 4 way splitter then off to 2 other TVs. These TVs are the ones I'm having trouble with.

No I've got the right CHs/freqs for mt Leinster as per the rtenl doc. 23/490 on MUX 1 and 26/514 for MUX 2. I'm based in hilly south Wicklow between aughrim and tinahely but have clear line of sight to mt leinster all be it 25 miles away. Arklow is probably closer but I've never been able to pick up this tx which is on CH 21 I think.

Will still be there. Just RTE1, RTEjr and RTE 1+1 being removed from it.
    Thanks --- my fault, you have said what I meant to say !!
    Maybe it's these duplicates that are causing the problems -- time will tell.
    Regards

• Advertisement

mandrk wrote: »
    I've a second feed from the same aerial going to a 4 way splitter then off to 2 other TVs.

What kind of aerial? I think I've only seen 1 that had provision for more than 1 connection, via an integrated amplifier. Just jamming extra cables into a connection intended for 1 only, is a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

the 'old' mux 1 versions are still running.
    Any date as to when these actually finish?

The 'old' MUX1 broadcasts should continue past Christmas according to RTÉNL/2RN. I guess they would like to avoid the bad PR of 'switching off' people's RTE1 before Christmas, especially if nobody needs the SD MUX1 channels yet.

What kind of aerial? I think I've only seen 1 that had provision for more than 1 connection, via an integrated amplifier. Just jamming extra cables into a connection intended for 1 only, is a no-no.

Its a 15 euro piece of crap UHF aerial I picked up in b&q years ago. Yes its only meant for single feed but issues only kicked off when MUX 2 was turned on. All was fine for close on 4 years before that.

Anything used to divide the signal from the aerial must maintain the correct system impedance. Connecting cables together directly won't do this & signal won't be transferred efficiently from aerial to receiver(s).

You should just have 1 feed from the aerial to the splitter, & feed the receivers from the splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Its a 15 euro piece of crap UHF aerial I picked up in b&q years ago. Yes its only meant for single feed but issues only kicked off when MUX 2 was turned on. All was fine for close on 4 years before that.

Going back to your initial post, my suggestion would be to mount the aerial outside with a distribution amp in the attic to feed the different TV points.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips guys. Will try to rewire and distribute off single feed first before drilling holes & buying an amp. Will let you know how I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Maybe it's these duplicates that are causing the problems

It's a factor for some I'd say. They should switch them off on a given date, say 10th January, with a permanent onscreen message saying this for about a week preceeding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

What I can't understand is why since the launch of MUX 2 people have LOST channels.
    Over here in Wales if you fail to receive a MUX because your aerial isn't up to it then you get less channels.
    Why are people over there complaining that since MUX 2 launched they have lost channels that were previously ok.?
    Is it bad channel MUX planning --- if you remember Mt Leinster launched a MUX on ch45 which wiped out Preseli reception on the North coast of Pembrokeshire --- Preseli using ch45 as well ?
    Regards

Some people lost the channels as the old versions are not broadcasting any name so some tv's such as Samsung and Lg's simply remove them from the listing.

steveon wrote: »
    Some people lost the channels as the old versions are not broadcasting any name so some tv's such as Samsung and Lg's simply remove them from the listing.

That could explain why the odd set top box I have - View21 PVR - is the same .
    BUT if,after a "first time install" I watch RTE1 HD and leave the box on that channel it will remain.
    If I change channels to RTE2 HD or any other then when I try to come back
    to RTE1 HD it's not available --- as in GONE !!
    If,after a "first time install" I tune into RTE2 HD then try to change to RTE1 HD it's already GONE !!
    Very odd box ....
    My Sony TV keeps them all.

Regards

Thanks for the tips guys. Will try to rewire and distribute off single feed first before drilling holes & buying an amp. Will let you know how I go.

All sorted. Moving the second feed I had from the aerial to the splitter did the trick. All stbs and TVs working fine for both MUXs. Thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

good to see all is quiet here on the mux 2 rescan thread..................all must be ok or else people have just given up watching rte 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

kooga wrote: »
    good to see all is quiet here on the mux 2 rescan thread..................all must be ok or else people have just given up watching rte 1
    Things get very easy when you get to know everything about them:D

Waiting for reply from the maker of my set top box for a work around and with interest when the duplicates are shut down in January I believe.

It's only TV after all ..!!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Waiting for reply from the maker of my set top box for a work around and with interest when the duplicates are shut down in January I believe.

It's only TV after all ..!!

Regards

Well we won't have to wait any longer now because RTE1 HD on both Saorview & UPC will launch from next Monday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-one-hd-to-launch-next-monday-1.1624437

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

The Cush wrote: »
    This is the current channel line-up on Saorview .

Channel line-up by LCN
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(not used)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing.

I assume this is still the same line-up today - but on Monday after the changes, please can you update this table for us? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    I assume this is still the same line-up today - but on Monday after the changes, please can you update this table for us? Thanks.

There won't be any changes to the table until the 3 duplicate channels are switched off or some other change. RTÉ1 HD is already in position at LCN 01 and using a 1080i HD stream on Mux2 .

The only change we should see from Monday will be some programming in true HD with the rest in upscaled SD as is the case with RTÉ2 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,251 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well we won't have to wait any longer now because RTE1 HD on both Saorview & UPC will launch from next Monday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-one-hd-to-launch-next-monday-1.1624437

Bit pathetic that it talks about the 'forthcoming' launch of a HD channel that's been there for weeks now. Then again, it's a tech article in Irish mainstream media, so a clue is unlikely. (Hotel wi-fi scare blatant publicity stunt, anyone?)

Yes, it's mostly upscaled, but so is RTE2HD, and even upscaled content is a lot better than the low-bitrate sub-SD resolution RTE1 had until the Mux2 launch.

Still though, there should have been two muxes at ASO and decent SD, if not upscaled HD (or real HD) on RTE1/2 and TG4 at that time. TV3 have never cared about poor coverage on analogue so they're hardly going to care about poor quality pictures on Saorview.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yes, it's mostly upscaled, but so is RTE2HD, and even upscaled content is a lot better than the low-bitrate sub-SD resolution RTE1 had until the Mux2 launch.
    It's much better than the fog they were transmitting but it would be even better if they went for full 1920 HD.

Dear Santa, I have been a good boy......:D

If a rescan is the order of the day ---- some fun coming up next week !!
    Are we talking of a totally new channel or the content on the existing RTE1 upscaled.?
    RTE1 ,RTE 1 Duplicate and RTE1 HD?
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The Cush wrote: »
    There won't be any changes to the table until the 3 duplicate channels are switched off or some other change. RTÉ1 HD is already in position at LCN 01 and using a 1080i HD stream on Mux2 .

The only change we should see from Monday will be some programming in true HD with the rest in upscaled SD as is the case with RTÉ2 HD.

And a new RTE1 HD DOG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

From what I read here, nothing should change except for:
    1) Possibly DOG
    2) More detailed content on existing RTE1 transmission with no technical changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

If a rescan is the order of the day ---- some fun coming up next week !!
    Are we talking of a totally new channel or the content on the existing RTE1 upscaled.?
    RTE1 ,RTE 1 Duplicate and RTE1 HD?
    Regards
    No further rescan, (if you have already done it since 21st October!)
    RTÉ1 HD already there (upscaled 1080i) Saorview channel 01 (on Mux2). What is being launched on Monday is the "official" naming of the channel as: RTÉ1 HD (probably with a new DOG) and the ability to play out recorded material in true HD, and stream HD programming from OB's and external sources. No studios have been converted to HD working yet, so no studio based RTÉ programming in HD for a while.

formerly scottish paddy.
    Thanks for that --- nothing is going to change for me as my magic box automatically deletes RTE 1 just after it finds it leaving the non - EPG RTE 1---- but that is another story !!
    Interesting time for me will be when the duplicates cease.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

This query may have nothing to do with this topic but I don't want to start up another topic if not necessary.

Recently I find that when the ad come on the sound is just way too loud. I turn it down but when the program comes back on I have to turn the sound way back up again. Very frustrating. Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas what is causing it?

Thanks and regards.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    This query may have nothing to do with this topic but I don't want to start up another topic if not necessary.

Recently I find that when the ad come on the sound is just way too loud. I turn it down but when the program comes back on I have to turn the sound way back up again. Very frustrating. Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas what is causing it?

Thanks and regards.

It's deliberate, to draw attention to the advertising. The FCC in the US banned this practice recently but I can't see that being done here.

Advertisement