Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Nearly 2 weeks on, is this still the same line-up today? has there been any change since this list and, any news as to when SD simulcasting will end for RTE 1?

Thanks.

It is strange that no date has been mentioned. Have there been more problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The number of people on here complaining of mux 2 problems is anything to go by, it has probably forced a rethink for now. Too many coat hangers to upgrade:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Elmo wrote: »
    . . . Have there been more problems?

More problems? You mean there are known problems already? What are they?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    More problems? You mean there are known problems already? What are they?
    The number of people on here complaining of mux 2 problems is anything to go by, it has probably forced a rethink for now. Too many coat hangers to upgrade:)

Individual customers.

Individual 'customer' problems caused by inadequate receiving aerial installs can affect either mux: most of the complainers here are those who say they had 'perfect signal up until mux 2 started', when in reality they had nothing of the sort. They are just the random number who happened to get a slightly worse signal for the 2nd mux.

Anyway, 2rn don't do domestic receiving aerial installations, so nobody is a customer in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Individual 'customer' problems caused by inadequate receiving aerial installs can affect either mux: most of the complainers here are those who say they had 'perfect signal up until mux 2 started', when in reality they had nothing of the sort. They are just the random number who happened to get a slightly worse signal for the 2nd mux.

Anyway, 2rn don't do domestic receiving aerial installations, so nobody is a customer in that respect.
    Agreed but you can imagine the row on Joe Duffy if RTÉ1 suddenly disappeared from their "perfectly good up to now" coat hangers :D

Agreed but you can imagine the row on Joe Duffy if RTÉ1 suddenly disappeared from their "perfectly good up to now" coat hangers :D

Problems caused by not launching both muxes together.

Elmo wrote: »
    Problems caused by not launching both muxes together.

How? Did people go back to using single-channel aerials?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

What I can't understand is why since the launch of MUX 2 people have LOST channels.
    Over here in Wales if you fail to receive a MUX because your aerial isn't up to it then you get less channels.
    Why are people over there complaining that since MUX 2 launched they have lost channels that were previously ok.?
    Is it bad channel MUX planning --- if you remember Mt Leinster launched a MUX on ch45 which wiped out Preseli reception on the North coast of Pembrokeshire --- Preseli using ch45 as well ?
    Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    What I can't understand is why since the launch of MUX 2 people have LOST channels.

They haven't lost channels yet, as the 'old' mux 1 versions are still running.

• Advertisement

I thought people were saying they have lost BBC channels etc?
    Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    I thought people were saying they have lost BBC channels etc?

Most that lost Freeview muxes due to Saorview mux 2 switch-on would be outside the Freeview service area in NI. Anyone in NI would be in a poor Freeview reception area.

Most complaints of this nature would be due to Mt. Leinster sharing frequencies with Divis com. muxes. There might be issues between Castlebar & Brougher Mtn. in places too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

as the 'old' mux 1 versions are still running.

Any date as to when these actually finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Any date as to when these actually finish?

No, I assume it depends on the level of calls to the Saorview helpline and probably posts here from people experiencing continued reception problems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Cush wrote: »
    No, I assume it depends on the level of calls to the Saorview helpline and probably posts here from people experiencing continued reception problems etc.

If they'd taken that approach to ASO, it probably still wouldn't have happened.

405 was shut down only 16 years after it started here, TVs cost far far more in real terms then, there were no cheap STB converter options, yet there was no outcry.

People have had ample warning that a decent aerial and approved equipment are recommended. If they want to wing it on a rabbit's ears and some dodgy receiver it's up to them, but they can have no guarantee of what they'll be able to receive.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭marclt

Has there been any *formal* notification to viewers to perform a retune?

All I'm aware of is the one for viewers on the small number of relays where freq changes have taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

marclt wrote: »
    Has there been any *formal* notification to viewers to perform a retune?

All I'm aware of is the one for viewers on the small number of relays where freq changes have taken place.

"Re-scan Required/Ath-scanadh ag Teastáil" information in the programme information banner, radio and TV announcements. They did place a notice on the 2RN/RTÉNL website but removed it within a few days, the same notice was emailed later to the trade according to Tony from satellite.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Are yee all talking code or wha???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Ive a Aerial on the roof, but since this re-scan my RTE 2 has been unwatchable. But RTE 1 is perfect. Any suggestions.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Ive a Aerial on the roof, but since this re-scan my RTE 2 has been unwatchable.

Is your receiver Saorview approved? Saorview approved receivers are supposed to store the channels with best signal. Other receivers might store the 1st they come across (lowest frequency) in the top EPG position, with duplicates (possibly including your best signal) further down the list.

You need to know the UHF channel no. or frequency (in mHz or kHz) on which you are receiving RTE2 & also the transmitter your aerial is set up for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTEjr frozen on Mux 1 while on Mux 2 is still showing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Is your receiver Saorview approved? Saorview approved receivers are supposed to store the channels with best signal. Other receivers might store the 1st they come across (lowest frequency) in the top EPG position, with duplicates (possibly including your best signal) further down the list.

You need to know the UHF channel no. or frequency (in mHz or kHz) on which you are receiving RTE2 & also the transmitter your aerial is set up for.

Bascially the set up is as follows,

In the Kitchen we have a saorview approved tele, and the reception for the stations are poor there, apart from RTE one which is excellent. This is since the re-scan.

In my room, i dont have a saorview tv, and the box i have is not saorview either but i was getting the RTE'S and TV3 in perfectly before the re-scan.

We have a aerial on the roof which is what i used to get my RTE's etc.

Where approx. are you located? On which UHF channels/frequencies are you receiving Saorview mux 1 & 2 at each receiver? (Check RTE2 for mux 1, RTE1 for mux 2.) Do you know which transmitter your aerial is pointed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Sorry for my ignorance but after I rescanned my Saorview box I'm only getting RTE1. By looking at the 1st page of this thread, I seem to be on the "MUX2" channel lineup and I'm not sure how to change to "MUX1".

The Saorview box is the TVSTAR from LIDL.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

I'm having the same problem - picking up RTE 1, RTE 1+1 and RTE jr but nothing on MUX1 - standard Walker Saorview receiver with 'One for All' aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mandrk

Similar to bigron I'm having trouble with the channels remaining on MUX 1 since turning on mux2. Is this 'transition' complete and will channels now continue to be split over the 2 MUXs? Or will they all eventually move to MUX 2?

I've been working off mt Leinster quite happily since march 2010. My aerial is in the attic. I have one TV connected directly to the aerial then another 2 via a wideband splitter. Ever since the launch of mux2 the signal strength and quality of the channels on MUX1 one are really bad. Those on MUX 2 are perfect.

The TVs connected via the splitter seem to be suffering worse. Rte 2 breaks up continually on one TV and the other has lost it completely on rescan. The TV connected directly to aerial seems to be managing OK. But signal strength and quality is better on MUX 2 in this case too. So do I :

1) move my aerial outside to get better signal?
    2) re wire all my cables directly to the aerial?
    3) wait for all channels to move to MUX 2?

I've been waiting/hoping for number 3 to happen but I'm guessing this is going to be the case

Find the information on this from saorview and rtenl has been pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

mandrk wrote: »
    Similar to bigron I'm having trouble with the channels remaining on MUX 1 since turning on mux2. Is this 'transition' complete and will channels now continue to be split over the 2 MUXs? Or will they all eventually move to MUX 2?

I've been working off mt Leinster quite happily since march 2010. My aerial is in the attic. I have one TV connected directly to the aerial then another 2 via a wideband splitter. Ever since the launch of mux2 the signal strength and quality of the channels on MUX1 one are really bad. Those on MUX 2 are perfect.

The TVs connected via the splitter seem to be suffering worse. Rte 2 breaks up continually on one TV and the other has lost it completely on rescan. The TV connected directly to aerial seems to be managing OK. But signal strength and quality is better on MUX 2 in this case too. So do I :

1) move my aerial outside to get better signal?
    2) re wire all my cables directly to the aerial?
    3) wait for all channels to move to MUX 2?

I've been waiting/hoping for number 3 to happen but I'm guessing this is going to be the case

Find the information on this from saorview and rtenl has been pretty poor.

4. what i did installed a masthead amp and an aerial power amp and hav eperfect signal

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mandrk

kooga wrote: »
    4. what i did installed a masthead amp and an aerial power amp and hav eperfect signal

Cheers. Can you suggest a power amp?

Any thoughts as to why MUX 1 would be gone so poor when MUX 2 reception is perfect?

My aerial is in the attic. I have one TV connected directly to the aerial then another 2 via a wideband splitter . . .

. . . The TVs connected via the splitter seem to be suffering worse.

So the splitter is fed from the aerial-out of a STB at the TV point that is fed direct from the aerial?

The channels won't all be moving to mux 2 btw: the launch of the 2nd mux was to increase overall capacity, allowing more HD services.

• Advertisement

Ever since the launch of mux2 the signal strength and quality of the channels on MUX1 one are really bad. Those on MUX 2 are perfect.

Can anyone explain why this has happened ?
    I can't understand why switching on another channel should cause this unless the strength on MUX2 is swamping the wideband splitter -- if that is the case it isn't an amp that is needed but an attenuator --- variable ones are available which I have used in the past to overcome a similar problem with a receiver that had a very sensitive tuner.
    Oddly. that receiver would quite happily tune all SD channels (UK) BUT refused to find any HD channels (again UK) until the attenuator was used to reduce the signal.

Just my thoughts ....
    Regards

Advertisement