Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Mux 2 is the same spec. signal as mux 1, just transmitted within a different 8 mHz of UHF bandwidth.
    All I I can tell you is how it was and is.
    Up until monday of the HD all channels were working fine.
    From Monday on RTE 1 HD was disappearing or freezing and fluctuating down to 0 and up to 30% .
    He tried rescans, he tried changing to another cable run, he tried bypassing the amp. Nothing worked.
    Today I moved the aerial a degree or two and RTE 1 is back perfect. Incidentally it is channel 44.

Maybe the aerial shifted due to the high winds? Not impossible.

Karsini wrote: »
    Maybe the aerial shifted due to the high winds? Not impossible.
    It is impossible in his case because it is in his attic:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    . . .Up until monday of the HD all channels were working fine.
    From Monday on RTE 1 HD was disappearing or freezing and fluctuating down to 0 and up to 30% .
    He tried rescans, he tried changing to another cable run, he tried bypassing the amp. Nothing worked.
    Today I moved the aerial a degree or two and RTE 1 is back perfect. Incidentally it is channel 44.

Is this the attic aerial you mentioned in an earlier post? Maybe someone went up to get Christmas decorations or something & it got a bit of a knock?

Is this the attic aerial you mentioned in an earlier post? Maybe someone went up to get Christmas decorations or something & it got a bit of a knock?
    Same aerial. He is in his 80's so he does not visit the attic, hence me having to go up there.
    The aerial is fixed and solid and I had to use spanners to get it to move.
    Of course the whole roof may have moved.:)

• Advertisement

The aerial is fixed and solid and I had to use spanners to get it to move.

This is near the Limerick/Kerry border? Channels 44 & 47 there should be the Cnoc an Oir transmitter: is the aerial pointing that way (west or northwest) & is it vertically polarised?

This is near the Limerick/Kerry border? Channels 44 & 47 there should be the Cnoc an Oir transmitter: is the aerial pointing that way (west or northwest) & is it vertically polarised?
    Yes to all.
    Moving the aerial a few degrees sorted out RTE 1.
    All the other channels remain perfect though signal strength has dropped slightly.
    Before last monday week and the demise of RTE1 all channels had the same strength.
    Its remarkable that a poster in Lietrim and a poster in Kildare have the same problem with RTE1

Its remarkable that a poster in Lietrim and a poster in Kildare have the same problem with RTE1

Nothing remarkable at all. Just 3 aerial installations that were poorly done to begin with or have deteriorated with time.

Nothing remarkable at all. Just 3 aerial installations that were poorly done to begin with or have deteriorated with time.

If they were poorly installed how come they, or at least my friends, performed without a problem and with full signal strength on all channels; and then on the day of change to HD RTE1 went to zero at times and 10% at other times.
    Aerial did not shift as I had to get a spanner to release it.

Without the benefit of re-reading the Lietrim post and the Kildare post I am assuming that they enjoyed perfect reception on all channels initially.
    BTW thisis a genuine question/observation and not a challenge.

If they were poorly installed how come they, or at least my friends, performed without a problem and with full signal strength on all channels; and then on the day of change to HD RTE1 went to zero at times and 10% at other times.

Just coincidence. No change was made that would affect the robustness of the transmitted signal i.e. the ability of a receiver to continue decoding it, all other things being the same as before.

Maybe the problem was caused by a temporary increase in interference from Woodcock Hill (same channels) that might have gone away without your intervention. Turning the aerial probably lessened the interfering signal.

Does the Saorview coverage map recommend Cnoc an Oir for that particular location?

• Advertisement

Just coincidence. No change was made that would affect the robustness of the transmitted signal i.e. the ability of a receiver to continue decoding it, all other things being the same as before.

Maybe the problem was caused by a temporary increase in interference from Woodcock Hill (same channels) that might have gone away without your intervention. Turning the aerial probably lessened the interfering signal.

Does the Saorview coverage map recommend Cnoc an Oir for that particular location?
    Something happened on that day. His other telly has a walker box and whereas that held the signal it was not a good signal and froze occasionally.
    Cnoc an Oir V is recommended.
    Perhaps Woodcock interfered but shifting the aerial solved it otherwise I would be swinging from a chimney on Christmas day because a few smart guys told him his aerial could not work from the attic

. . . a few smart guys told him his aerial could not work from the attic

Digital TV is all-or-nothing, with a sudden & complete failure point. It can 'work' on a just-adequate signal but, if you don't have some extra signal margin, the slightest deterioration will render it ususable.

Digital TV is all-or-nothing, with a sudden & complete failure point. It can 'work' on a just-adequate signal but, if you don't have some extra signal margin, the slightest deterioration will render it ususable.
    It is working absolutely great now from the attic. Bet he was glad last night that it was in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm guessing that it's my own aerial system that has taken a bashing from the storm last night, but this morning I can't get either mux 1 or 2 from Mullaghanish and I can't get mux 2 from the Mitchelstown transmitter, though I can get mux 1, albeit on much weaker signal strength than normal. You would think that I would also get a weak mux 2 also ? Anybody having similar problems ? If not, then I will know its time to get the aerial man out, when things calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

We did not retune tv as mainly used for games console, now have no channels and cannot retune, can I do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you have no channels then your aerial is at fault. The retune only affects RTE1, RTE Jr and RTE1+1.

When you say you can't retune, do you mean that you get no channels after a retune? Check the aerial is plugged in :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lost101

This launch has had a very negative effect on my parent's Youview Humax PVR based in NI. At present, there are 18 'Unknown' channels listed in the Youview EPG. Performance of the box has deteriorated since these extra channels have become available. The box becomes unresponsive when changing from Soarview to Freeview. Can anyone suggest how much longer this situation may continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lost101 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest how much longer this situation may continue?

Unknown, maybe indefinitely. The 18 unknown channels are a mix of duplicate and test channels carried on both Saorview muxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No doubt if Oireachtas TV launches in HD, or TV3 goes HD (!) or UTV Ireland launches in HD (not so long now, happy New Year!) or TG4 goes HD the situation will change.

I'd agree with Cush that as it costs no extra, this can continue indefinitely. They might do some switch over between Terrestrial (microwave & Fibre) & Ka-Sat (Saorsat) feeds on the test channels to test their backup feed system.

But right now they are probably mostly on Holiday till 6th Jan 2014 (Actually 6th is last Day of Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

watty wrote: »
    No doubt if Oireachtas TV launches in HD

Woo!....... Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I have break up on all cahnnels on mux 1 since the change over .96% signal but quality only at 15% .The other mux is 96% signal and quality is over 90% .

Everything was fine until the upgrade .In the moneyguerney area of cork in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My sister lives east of Ballyvaughan Co.Clare. She has an aerial faced north west towards Cliften and Casla transmitter. There is a hill blocking signals to her from Maghera. She is getting mux 1 perfectly. But there is no way she could pick up mux 2. There seems to be a widespread problem around the country that the transmission of mux 2 is weaker than mux 1. It is frustrating for people in marginal reception areas and other technical problems to fail to pick up mux 2 and RTE One HD. Can anyone in the trade or here browsing the tv threads elaborate the reasons why the transmission of mux 2 being relatively weak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Mux 2 isn't "relatively weak". There would be just as many people in marginal areas whose mux 2 reception is better than their mux 1. Marginal areas being the key, or poor aerial set-ups in otherwise decent reception areas.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    My sister lives east of Ballyvaughan Co.Clare. She has an aerial faced north west towards Cliften and Casla transmitter. There is a hill blocking signals to her from Maghera. She is getting mux 1 perfectly. But there is no way she could pick up mux 2. There seems to be a widespread problem around the country that the transmission of mux 2 is weaker than mux 1. It is frustrating for people in marginal reception areas and other technical problems to fail to pick up mux 2 and RTE One HD. Can anyone in the trade or here browsing the tv threads elaborate the reasons why the transmission of mux 2 being relatively weak?
    If you read my previous posts you will see that my relative had the same problem.
    All said it was just a coincidence that RTE 1 changed at the time.
    There is so much evidence here now that it certanly cannot be a coincidence.
    I solved his problem by moving the aerial a few degrees.

. . . All said it was just a coincidence that RTE 1 changed at the time.
    There is so much evidence here now that it certanly cannot be a coincidence.
    I solved his problem by moving the aerial a few degrees.

I only see evidence of substandard receiving aerial installations. As mentioned above, there would be just as many people with better mux 2 reception than they have for mux 1.

What 'change' do you think was made at RTE1 that could be counteracted by 'moving the aerial a few degrees'?

I have to agree with Peter here. The fact that moving the aerial corrected the problem would suggest to me that the aerial was installed incorrectly or had moved. It couldn't be 2RN's fault unless they had mux 2 on a different site.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

My mothers reception of Mux 2 in Belfast is stronger than Mux 1. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I have advised my sister to contact a tv expert to adjust her aerial as it may have come out of alignment from the storms over several years. It may have to be replaced by a higher gain aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

I'm noticing big differences in signal between the two Muxes on Cairns Hill, Truskmore and Castlebar, mux1 is stronger. Were the new transmitters fixed at half mast?

• Advertisement

I only see evidence of substandard receiving aerial installations. As mentioned above, there would be just as many people with better mux 2 reception than they have for mux 1.

What 'change' do you think was made at RTE1 that could be counteracted by 'moving the aerial a few degrees'?
    I do not known Peter and I do not profess to know as I have long moved away from my pioneering days of sucking in BBC etc from Wales with the aid of quad Wisi aerials and higain amps but the day that RTE went to HD some weeks ago my relatives RTE1 reception declined to the stage that it disappeared.vHe had perfect reception before that.
    Moving the aerial brought back RTE1 and at the same time kept the other channels.
    Many more have now stated that their RTE1 signal has deteriorated of late so there must be a common denominator

Advertisement