Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

A film called 'Tough Guys' was on RTE 2 HD earlier in the afternoon and was also in 'stretchyvision'. It looked really really poor. Surely RTE are going to sort this out in the near future? 4:3 material on stations such as Channel 4 HD is pillarboxed correctly.

Seems to me that the problem with films on RTE is that they've been playing their legacy 4:3 copies instead of getting new 16:9 HD copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Should make no difference. They are supposed to frame properly. They have the system to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I got a new lg tv tonight - when I scanned all the channels are mixed up rte 1 is after aload of test cards totally stupid format now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Andy454 wrote: »
    I got a new lg tv tonight - when I scanned all the channels are mixed up rte 1 is after aload of test cards totally stupid format now!

What country setting did you use when setting up the TV, Ireland or UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

Id imagine you should be able to delete any unwanted channels and/or arrange the channels within the list any way you see fit?? RTFM :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

Why does the NIMM seem to show programmes in the correct aspect ratio while the signal from Clermont Carn have stretched pictures? What bit of kit is in the UK that means the programmes are switched to correct ratio? Admitedly the NIMM can show the DOG in a condensed format too but I can live with that with a watchable picture.

NorthDown2 wrote: »
    Why does the NIMM seem to show programmes in the correct aspect ratio while the signal from Clermont Carn have stretched pictures? What bit of kit is in the UK that means the programmes are switched to correct ratio? Admitedly the NIMM can show the DOG in a condensed format too but I can live with that with a watchable picture.

Most likely because the NIMM feeds are SD, therefore the correct flags are being transmitted. The HD feeds need to be pillarboxed at source, which isn't being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Just noticed that RTE1+1 on both multiplexes are off-air but subtitles is still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

News on RTE One last night looked like full HD to me - did anyone else notice?
    Prime Time very obviously still upscaled SD but am sure the news studio footage looked HD at 9pm.

BTW - my brand new Samsung TV allows 4:3 formatting of HD channels, which I did think strange cos as has been stated, most TVs don't allow that. Unbelievable to me that RTE Two HD consistently show all 4:3 programmes incorrectly stretched - surely someone working there must know what's what????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

News on RTE One last night looked like full HD to me - did anyone else notice?
    Prime Time very obviously still upscaled SD but am sure the news studio footage looked HD at 9pm.
    ??

I didn't think that the studio shots were full HD. But the video reports do come in looks like it is HD quality. I also think that some of the outdoor scenes on Fair City also have some clarity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

When I did a rescan on my Sony Bravia (configured for Ireland), it dropped RTE 1 SD down below the new 'test card' channels. RTE 1 HD was put in 001. I deleted the SD version altogether to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I didn't think that the studio shots were full HD. But the video reports do come in looks like it is HD quality. I also think that some of the outdoor scenes on Fair City also have some clarity

There is an old thread discussing RTE HD from 2010. According to some posts there RTE installed a new interactive studio for news. It was probably equipped for HD output.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭tlaavtech

I had thought that, but was informed that the News Studio was only fitted with SD switching equipment. It seemed strange since their news gathering cameras had been HD capable (XDCAM) since at least 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Changing a studio to HD is much more complex than just the cameras and would also involve the entire broadcast chain, presentation, VTR, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

I have e-mailed RTÉ regarding the 4:3 issue (and also about 2.35:1 films) and will post their reply here (if I ever get one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just scanned a finlux and it won't scan in mux 1 / rtenl1 / 2rn1 other channel not available

Elmo wrote: »
    Just scanned a finlux and it won't scan in mux 1 / rtenl1 / 2rn1 other channel not available

Are you receiving Mux2?
    And the now standard question, what aerial type are you using indoor/outdoor?

The Cush wrote: »
    Are you receiving Mux2?
    And the now standard question, what aerial type are you using indoor/outdoor?

Yes
    Attic aerial no probs on main tv.

Attic aerial no probs on main tv.

How is the aerial split to the TV points, splitter/distribution amp? Signal level for Mux1 could be low (or high?) by the time it reaches the Finlux TV point.
    Can you tune in the Finlux at the main TV point?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

i have seen many of the nordmende tv's which are the same vestel type chassis as the finlux as far as i know,that were retuned for mullaghanish to receive channels 21 and 24 for mux 1 and mux2,alot of these sets stored a very weak channel 39 version of mux1 from a distant transmitter and ignored the much stronger channel 21 from mullaghanish,they did store mux 2 signal on 24 from mullaghanish though,in one case i did a factory reset of the tv and rescanned it twice yet it still picked up the much weaker channel39 signal,
    in the end i rescanned the tv and unplugged the antenna cable to the tv when it had passed channel 24 then plugged it back in when the tv was scanning channels up in the 50's,
    as i said i have seen this several times in different houses and some with group a aerials,
    also mux 2 from mt gabriel on channel 31 suffers badly from tetra interference in certain locations even though mux 1 on 37 is ok,hope this helps .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

pegasuspub wrote: »
    i have seen many of the nordmende tv's which are the same vestel type chassis as the finlux as far as i know,that were retuned for mullaghanish to receive channels 21 and 24 for mux 1 and mux2,alot of these sets stored a very weak channel 39 version of mux1 . . .

Channel 39 would be mux 2 from Drimoleague.

How is the aerial split to the TV points, splitter/distribution amp? Signal level for Mux1 could be low (or high?) by the time it reaches the Finlux TV point.
    Can you tune in the Finlux at the main TV point?

Just splitters

Finlux stb will tune in the main room, when I bring it back it fails to pick up signal

Aerial is in attic
    it is split as it enters the room with the finlux stb
    it is then split again

Aerial
    > 1st Splitter
    1 Splitter
    > Finlux
    > 2nd Splitter
    2nd Splitter
    > Walker STB (Have not retuned)
    > Walker TV (retuned)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Is there any teletext working on any of the test channels?
    I can get digital text on channel 1 and 7, MHEG-5 but the other 3 is nothing, Can anyone test with their STB set to Ireland as the Humax doesn't have Irish spec for teletext

0x08fd Teletext/VBI for program 1/2101
    0x08fe Teletext/VBI for program 12/2102
    0x08ff Teletext/VBI for program 13/2103
    0x0901 Teletext/VBI for program 15/2105

0x0903 Teletext/VBI for program 7/2107

Souriau wrote: »
    Is there any teletext working on any of the test channels?

No teletext or subtitles on the testcard channels.

Just splitters

Finlux stb will tune in the main room, when I bring it back it fails to pick up signal

Aerial is in attic
    it is split as it enters the room with the finlux stb
    it is then split again

Aerial
    > 1st Splitter
    1 Splitter
    > Finlux
    > 2nd Splitter
    2nd Splitter
    > Walker STB (Have not retuned)
    > Walker TV (retuned)

The Finlux is OK so. Looks like a signal/connection problem at that point.

Can you swap over the splitter 1 outputs and test?

Can you test the Walker stb at the Finlux TV point to rule out a problem with the splitter/connections/signal at that TV point?

Was getting a similar problem with my setup but that was down to signal overload to the first receiver in the chain, when I tuned it in at the end of the chain it worked OK.

Where are you located approx. and how far are you from nearest transmitter?
    Is there a signal strength/quality meter of any sort on the Finlux, if so what are the readings like?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Does anybody know if RTE plan to transmit in SD aswell as HD like BBC do on satellite? I bought a Tivisen for receiving DTT on my phone and it cannot handle HD DTT unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cocoon wrote: »
    Does anybody know if RTE plan to transmit in SD aswell as HD like BBC do on satellite? I bought a Tivisen for receiving DTT on my phone and it cannot handle HD DTT unfortunately.

No. As RTE 2 was only in HD, they assume everyone has a receiver capable of decoding RTE 2 and also when RTE 1 goes HD everyone should be able to receive this. 2RN/ RTENL saved a lot by skipping duplicating stations in SD and HD. In the UK there was various non HD boxes in use, so they needed to give people time to replace them.

Cocoon wrote: »

No, the plan was always to have no permanent SD simulcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

40 pages later and nearly 5 weeks after mux 2 launched i am finally sorted. a combination of a masthead and and aerial poer supply and an upgraded tv cable has me sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

This is the current channel line-up on Saorview .

Channel line-up by LCN
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(not used)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing.

Nearly 2 weeks on, is this still the same line-up today? has there been any change since this list and, any news as to when SD simulcasting will end for RTE 1?

Thanks.

Advertisement