Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Would there be a lot more in the Republic of Ireland who wouldn't know how to do this compared to many other countries? With DTT it's arguably easier than it was with many analogue TV sets, as they all offer automatic tuning which will store channels to pre defined channel numbers thanks to LCNs.

Its true that tuning systems have been complicated on many analogue sets - but it has not just been TVs, many older people have difficulty and are bewildered with the digital tuning on many car radios etc designed in a non-intuitive and user-unfriendly way.

Though with analogue TV it was not common that viewers had ever to retune to continue reception of a channel they already had. RTE1 analogue from Mullaghanish for example had stayed put on the same RF channel for just 2 months short of half a century when it was switched off last year.
    In contrast one year after ASO, RTE1, the main TV channel of concern to elderly viewers (who are most likely to have difficulty retuning), has to be retuned.

a contributor on the Last Word, Today FM last week joked that it must be going to be an annual event with saorview that there is some upheavel every year!
    In the UK retuning is a semi-regular occurrence, especially if you don't set your receiver to automatically scan for channels

Though not usually involving the legacy main channels - BBC1,2,ITV,C4

Many will also search for channel updates whilst in standby.

True, they will if left in standby overnight, and this has not been explained to people. Many people switch off their TV/STB every night at the socket (or plug out), rather than put in standby, due to both fire safety and energy saving concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    According to Saorview's twitter feed RTÉ ONE HD launches this year.

@SAORVIEW: @fixtronix David the re-scan is to prepare for @RTE One in HD which will launch later this year@saorview

Saorview's Brian Geraghty said RTÉ1 HD would be coming in the new year on Morning Ireland the day Mux2 was switched on

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20131021,20458134,20458134,flash,232

I notice the Saorview website is mentioning this morning that owners of unapproved equipment may find difficulties for rescanning their receivers because of the latest changes to Saorview.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/unapproved-equipment-and-the-saorview-re-scan/

http://www.saorview.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Re-scan-guide-UNAPPROVED-EQUIPMENT.pdf

The information has been on the Saorview and 2RN websites since last Thur 24th and posted here a few times since

http://www.saorview.ie/category/news/
    http://www.2rn.ie/broadcast/saorview-digital-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Paddy C wrote: »
    If they were able to bump up TG 4's bit rate so it can go HD and won't require a retune, why not move TG 4 to MUX 2 then and either have it in HD at the same time as RTÉ ONE or just have it already on MUX 2 so another retune is required when it is ready to go (if it is even moving there at all). Does make you wonder though why they are testing TG 4's subtitles on MUX 2.
    If TG4 HD come to Mux 2, I don't think there is a need for another rescan as it is already on Mux 2, channel 14, 1440x1080 is running at the moment, it is using 8.5% of the Mux, 2mbps. All it need is video and audio switch on, correct channel number address and kill the SD on Mux 1.
    All goes automaticually with proper STB and TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Philgammell

steveon wrote: »
    RTE1 has moved frequency...where you based?? have you check up around no11?

I'm based in Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Philgammell

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    '11' isn't the frequency, it's just the number assigned in the channel list/programme guide.

The un-named version of RTE1 that appears at no. 11 in your EPG will disappear in a couple of weeks: renumbering won't help here. To continue viewing RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jr., you need to retune & find the 2nd multiplex of services. RTE1 will then reappear as a named service with programme info. at no. 1 in the EPG.

I've retuned alright but still no. RTE1. How do u find the 2nd multiplex of services? Do u do Auto or manual scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I'm based in Killarney.

according to the coverage checker on http://www.saorview.ie you should be recieving a signal on c21(mux 1) and c24 (mux 2)from mullaghanish .If you do an autoscan on your walker box it should work.

Souriau wrote: »
    If TG4 HD come to Mux 2, I don't think there is a need for another rescan as it is already on Mux 2, channel 14, 1440x1080 is running at the moment, it is using 8.5% of the Mux, 2mbps. All it need is video and audio switch on, correct channel number address and kill the SD on Mux 1.
    All goes automaticually with proper STB and TV

It doesn't without a retune, someone posted here recently that 3e and RTÉ News Now had swapped LCNs when they did a retune recently on a Saorview approved TV. The swap had actually happened back in Jul 2012 but this persons receiver hadn't been retuned since and the channels remained at their previous LCNs.

RTE1 is gone from my Saorview. I've retuned the channels on my Walker Saorview box and all the channels are there except RTE1. Any thoughts?

What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor?

Does the Walker box display a signal strength reading for UHF Ch 24 (Mux2)?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

There are videos here on how to tune in a walker box that may help you http://www.tvtrade.ie/walker-saorview-boxes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Is the aerial properly aligned to the transmitter it's aimed at. My brother has an aerial picking up signals from Maghera . It is not properly aligned. He was getting good reception from mux 1. I gave his tv a rescan and guess what, mux 2 carrying RTE One HD is bordering on the digital cliff.

The Cush wrote: »
    It doesn't without a retune, someone posted here recently that 3e and RTÉ News Now had swapped LCNs when they did a retune recently on a Saorview approved TV. The swap had actually happened back in Jul 2012 but this persons receiver hadn't been retuned since and the channels remained at their previous LCNs.
    OK, I was basing this on my STB, Humax FreeviewHD which did add new channels and deleted old channels by itself.
    It had added BBC Three HD and CBBC HD, also Film 4 and Film4+1
    Also it had added Saorview new Mux in the 800 range
    When I switch on the Humax, its then informed me that new channels being added

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I've retuned alright but still no. RTE1. How do u find the 2nd multiplex of services? Do u do Auto or manual scan?

Auto scan should find it. If not, it's practically 100% certain your aerial system isn't up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Souriau wrote: »
    OK,
    When I switch on the Humax, its then informed me that new channels being added

I've been using two Humax's for some time now (since ASO), a Fox T2 & a Fox HDR T2, I've done two rescans on both of them since instalation, but I have never seen a 'new channels' message on either one. Might be different firmware version of something like that.

Just to add to anyone else using the 'Fox T2' STB's, after a resacan, you have to reschedule your recordings. I forgot, and found to my cost that preset recordings on RTÉ 1 failed after the rescan.

MACHEAD wrote: »
    I've been using two Humax's for some time now (since ASO), a Fox T2 & a Fox HDR T2, I've done two rescans on both of them since instalation, but I have never seen a 'new channels' message on either one. Might be different firmware version of something like that.

Just to add to anyone else using the 'Fox T2' STB's, after a resacan, you have to reschedule your recordings. I forgot, and found to my cost that preset recordings on RTÉ 1 failed after the rescan.
    Yes, the recording schedule need to be update, I usually cancelled the recording and insert a new schedule of the same program because I had lost recording after I done a manual rescan but the automatic update did not seem to affect the recording unless that program was part of the channel change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Channel preset 14 seems to be blank at the moment. Woodcock Hill transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

I deleted the blank channels after RTÉ ONE HD 'launched' as I didn't think they were anything important. I'll have to manually tune them in again and keep them in the 800's until they become something, then I can move them into their proper place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

DeadSkin wrote: »
    My tv is saorview approved and has the same issues trying to tune in mux2 off the aerial in the attic. Think it's time to dust off the drill and mount the aerial outside!

Mounted the aerial outside and this has resolved the issue - receiving rte1, rte1+1 and rtejr off mux2 now.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Channel preset 14 seems to be blank at the moment. Woodcock Hill transmitter.

No testcards on LCNs 12 and 14 since Mux2 launched last Mon week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Ye probably noticed this already, but one of the blank HD channels has analogue TG4 teletext on it. Possible indicator that this is the channel for TG4 HD ? Also, if TG4 HD launches soon and it requires another rescan, coming so soon after the RTE1 HD rescan, the general public will go ballistic !

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Ye probably noticed this already, but one of the blank HD channels has analogue TG4 teletext on it. Possible indicator that this is the channel for TG4 HD ? Also, if TG4 HD launches soon and it requires another rescan, coming so soon after the RTE1 HD rescan, the general public will go ballistic !

Speculation above is that TG4 HD may appear on Mux1. Capacity will be available once the simulcast channels are removed so no rescan would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Speculation above is that TG4 HD may appear on Mux1. Capacity will be available once the simulcast channels are removed so no rescan would be required.

That's good to know. What do you make of the TG4 teletext on that particular channel ? Coincidence or is that blank HD channel marked for TG4 ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I've noticed significant breakup on various channels at odd times (pixelated images). Only momentary, but it has not happened before mux2 started. RTE1HD, TV3, etc.

I still expect RTE 1 HD to migrate to mux1 on launch, with TV3 and TG4 migrating to mux2. We shall see.

The reason for the rescan was to get mux2 tuned in. It is less of a problem if channels move around abit. The concern was that those without mux2 would lose RTE1. I]What a dreadful prospect[/I

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

I heard on radio saorview should be rescanned so i did. now i have no RTE1, RTE 2 is in its place. No text either. I did have text before doing the rescan, not sure if had RTE1.

I have just the saorview free channells and and indoor antenna, do not watch tv much. That is why I am not sure if I had RTE 1, I did have it a few days ago, the last time the TV was on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Please tell us what equipment you are using and the makes. Do you watch Saorview directly on your TV, or through a separate box?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PixarSketch

Retuned my own only a few days ago and got the same result as yourself, on closer inspection i found all of the channels mixed up in channel numbers ranging from 10 to 19 on the tv, i just manually move the channels back to there correct tv channel number.
    rte 1 was on 11 so moved to 1
    rte 2 was in 14 moved to 2
    rte junior was on 18 moved to 6 etc etc

hope that helps

Retuned my own only a few days ago and got the same result as yourself, on closer inspection i found all of the channels mixed up in channel numbers ranging from 10 to 19 on the tv, i just manually move the channels back to there correct tv channel number.
    rte 1 was on 11 so moved to 1
    rte 2 was in 14 moved to 2
    rte junior was on 18 moved to 6 etc etc

hope that helps

The channels you moved will disappear soon, within the next week or two. You need to work out why you're not receiving mux 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

It would add up perfectly all right, but Mux1 would then be jam-packed, while Mux2 would only have 1 HD and 1 SD (RTÉ jr/ONE+1) channel. Could do with a bit more balance.

Please tell us what equipment you are using and the makes. Do you watch Saorview directly on your TV, or through a separate box?
    I watch through a Vision VST8010 approved set top box

@PixarSketch I had a look, no sign of it anywhere

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    The channels you moved will disappear soon, within the next week or two. You need to work out why you're not receiving mux 2.
    Is mux 2 where RTE1 is?

Advertisement