Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Big Nelly wrote: »
    If parcelmotel return it you not risking not egtting your product?

It hasn't happened yet! (Touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Big Nelly wrote: »
    If parcelmotel return it you not risking not egtting your product?

It's a really risky "all-or-nothing" approach to avoid duty for sure ... having said that my risk aversion means I'll be handing over €21.25 for my box on Monday - like fish in a barrel. If PM didn't do this they'd be flooded with back door smuggling and probably shut down!

styron wrote: »
    It's a really risky "all-or-nothing" approach to avoid duty for sure ... having said that my risk aversion means I'll be handing over €21.25 for my box on Monday - like fish in a barrel. If PM didn't do this they'd be flooded with back door smuggling and probably shut down!

I wouldn't even mind paying the VAT, its the An Post charge that drives me mental. They have already been paid for delivery, yet want to suck more blood out of there customers!

I now use parcel motel out of principle!

Anyway back on topic. Received my MX box running Linux open elec during the week.

My god, this is the box I have spent 18 months looking for. Its running XBMC flawlessly. No buffering and is ten times more responsive than the android version of the MX box I previously had. The remote is also great.

I haven't watched any live sport on it yet so it will be interesting to see if it handles that.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

I wouldn't even mind paying the VAT, its the An Post charge that drives me mental. They have already been paid for delivery, yet want to suck more blood out of there customers!

I now use parcel motel out of principle!

An irony is that Royal Mail charge an £8 handling fee for this same privilege too. I don't blame you at all - NI customs must be laxer. I wouldn't want a £300 - 400 spend riding on it though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Anyway back on topic. Received my MX box running Linux open elec during the week.

My god, this is the box I have spent 18 months looking for. Its running XBMC flawlessly. No buffering and is ten times more responsive than the android version of the MX box I previously had. The remote is also great.

I haven't watched any live sport on it yet so it will be interesting to see if it handles that.
    what mx box did u get????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mx2? 1gb or 2gb?

Did you install it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Guys what's the chances if I order a box now and take the expedited route of having it here pre Christmas?

Is it DHL that they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5500 wrote: »
    Guys what's the chances if I order a box now and take the expedited route of having it here pre Christmas?

Is it DHL that they use?

I'd say no bother I ordered on Sunday night and it shipped yesterday so I will have it Wednesday I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

5500 wrote: »

Is it DHL that they use?

DHL will take about 5-7 days maybe less depending how quick it gets processed.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Mx2? 1gb or 2gb?

Did you install it yourself?

Alieexpress the 1 GB MX open elec.put Linux XBMC in the search bar. And its the one from acemax industries. There's a pic of the open elec sign!

Xbmc was installed, but had to put on the add ons myself .

Has the Tv addons ceased to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Alieexpress the 1 GB MX open elec.put Linux XBMC in the search bar. And its the one from acemax industries. There's a pic of the open elec sign!

TV add ons is alive and well. Servers back on line.
    Have a 1gb mxIII on way and will likely put Linux on it

did u buy. A. Mx2 or. Mxiii?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is this the box?

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/1926171858.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Interested in one of these myself mainly to stream mkv's from a nas box I have.
    I did have an original Xbox with xbmc on it years ago and the menu was excellent as i could get a detail on a particualy movie. Would this do the same for me?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Have been using the Walker box for the last few days (Quad Core RK3188 chip, 1gb) and it seems to be doing a decent job of everything thrown at it so far.

Anyone got Any thoughts on the HP Chromeboxes.my gf. Is off to new York on Tuesday .and I can get it for 129euro seems like a good deal. 4gb ram. 16gb ssd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

massy086 wrote: »
    Anyone got Any thoughts on the HP Chromeboxes.my gf. Is off to new York on Tuesday .and I can get it for 129euro seems like a good deal. 4gb ram. 16gb ssd

I got one myself last month and love it. You can duel boot it to run chrome os and openelec. If you can get an asus one for the same price it might be a better option as its fanless. But if the not the hp one is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭skydish79

Have being offered this Arctic mc001 to buy

http://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/arctic-mc001-n-htpc/3512369

Or was looking at the m8 which seems a nice box by reviews

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171418603002?nav=SEARCH

I'm upgrading from cs918 with rockchip3188

Would the Arctic be much better for performance? Just using for xbmc,

skydish79 wrote: »
    Have being offered this Arctic mc001 to buy

http://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/arctic-mc001-n-htpc/3512369

Or was looking at the m8 which seems a nice box by reviews

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171418603002?nav=SEARCH

I'm upgrading from cs918 with rockchip3188

Would the Arctic be much better for performance? Just using for xbmc,
    go. For the artic It will be much Better and. Grab a 30 GB ssd. And. Run openelec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

What is the best android stick out there at the moment?
    Looking for something for the kids TV. Already have an old mk808b with the faster firmware on it but it is still very slow so the hardware is just not really up to it.

I just got an Amazon fire TV stick and it is descent but very locked down which is a pity as I like the interface.

Is there anything with the s812 chip in stick form that is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Invincible

Invincible wrote: »
    About to order 2GB version of this box, what manufacturer has best history, ENY Technologies or Shiningworth?

Allyall said that the M8C was made by a different manufacturer than the M8 that gave problems. He/She hasn't posted here in a while and PM box is full. Can anyone answer regarding best manufacturer above?
    Got price of $67

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Looking for an Android box as a present for my brother for Christmas. Budget is around €100. Any recommendations (with hopefully being able to get it this side of Christmas)?

Looking for an Android box as a present for my brother for Christmas. Budget is around €100. Any recommendations (with hopefully being able to get it this side of Christmas)?

The Walker box is available from Irish Stores for that price.

http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/walker-ab714qc-smart-box/7105/2218.3.4

Getting the MX2 with expedited shipping from gearbest.com would be your best bet. Its $85.12 but code m82lm will bring it to $71.99, add expedited shipping (DHL) your total will be $85.12 approx. €69

You will probably also pay VAT and handling charge of approx. €16 + €7-€10

So that will come in under your budget. I ordered the same on the 1st and DHL have it out for delivery today to me!

Hope this helps.

rob316 wrote: »
    Getting the MX2 with expedited shipping from gearbest.com would be your best bet. Its $85.12 but code m82lm will bring it to $71.99, add expedited shipping (DHL) your total will be $85.12 approx. €69

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_111035.html

Is that the one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

rob316 wrote: »

You will probably also pay VAT and handling charge of approx. €16 + €7-€10

So that will come in under your budget. I ordered the same on the 1st and DHL have it out for delivery today to me!

Hope this helps.

That's great cheers! Also managed to pick out a couple of other small gadgets from the site as stocking fillers!

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »

Yes, my neighbour has an MX2 and he swears by it so hoping the MX3 is real good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement