Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went for the mx3 2gb from gearbest in the end with expedited shipping. Excited, hope it comes soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

timetogo wrote: »
    My Minix box is on 24X7 and running XBMC. I think I give it a restart / reboot about every week or 2.

What bits get bogged down for you? I find some of the plugins a bit flakey but they're flakey no matter what platform XBMC is on.

I generally use mine for streaming from a NAS or playing links sent from my phone using Yatse and an app that can't be mentioned here.

I'd imagine XBMC and plugins would run better on a stronger system than android, no?

I understand about the plugins,they arw what they are really. I use my M8 for TV shows,Movies and Sports content and its fine but I'd prefer a system with solely XBMC tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

dahat wrote: »
    I'd imagine XBMC and plugins would run better on a stronger system than android, no?

Dunno. They're only giving you links that stream video. That's not a processor demanding task these days. It's more that they have loads of links that don't work that annoys me.

Streaming from a NAS is pretty much instant. Streaming from the links my phone sends them takes about 20 seconds max for them to start and then they play fine.

I had a PC under my TV with XBMC on it and Ubuntu for a year. The Minix is much better. But then XBMC has probably improved a lot too so maybe it's much better on Ubuntu these days.

Admittedly it wasn't a high spec PC but it still cost €300. For the price / performance / lack of hassle I get from the Android box I'm happy.

I dont get the NAS based system if I'm being honest.

You send a URL (?) from your phone to the box and hey presto or is it you access previously downloaded content and send the file to the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I have to agree my Minix x7 and Minix x8 are workhorses!

The x8 is in the main room and the kids use Netflix and other unmentionables for streaming with no issues! Sometimes they get a screen freeze but even they know now to pull out the power cable at the back!

The beta firmware definitely helped certain issues and I believe there has been an official update in the last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

dahat wrote: »
    I dont get the NAS based system if I'm being honest.

You send a URL (?) from your phone to the box and hey presto or is it you access previously downloaded content and send the file to the box?

Nas is just a file share at home. I've a hard drive plugged into the network that is accessible from all my devices (pc, tablets, TV box etc.) So any video I've downloaded is stored on that.

The URL is just streaming content from the Internet. Like watching a movie using Netflix. It starts playing when you request it but doesn't download the whole content to your box.

The MINIX boxes are at the high end of Android boxes though,the OTA updates does appeal though.

I have read a few favourable reviews of the MX boxes compared to them though which are a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys can anyone tell me anything about this box, does anyone have one and what are they like etc, any help appreciated.

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/starbox-mx-android-tv-box-no-more-tv-bills-live-tv-sport-movies-tv-shows/5274549

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guys can anyone tell me anything about this box, does anyone have one and what are they like etc, any help appreciated.

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/starbox-mx-android-tv-box-no-more-tv-bills-live-tv-sport-movies-tv-shows/5274549

Same box can be bought for €40 on aliexpress, I have one last couple of mths,cant fault it so far but would'nt pay that price on adverts

Same box can be bought for €40 on aliexpress, I have one last couple of mths,cant fault it so far but would'nt pay that price on adverts

Thanks for that , what can you get on them in the line of sports etc, could I replace my Sky package if I got one.

• Advertisement

Box is great,price shocking.

Same box can be got for 40-50 from China, don't go neat it at that price.

One more question can I watch in HD or is it all in SD. also what about Customs and if I get a faulty box.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I took the mx3 in the end thanks for the pointers lads, one other thing, how long does the NL post take? Presuming its transhipped from China to Holland? Ive had a few other gadgets delivered the past few days from china that have only taken 10 days which is quick for this time of the year

One more question can I watch in HD or is it all in SD. also what about Customs and if I get a faulty box.

Thanks

We cant really talk about it here but there is plenty of HD content available that this box will play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

5500 wrote: »
    I took the mx3 in the end thanks for the pointers lads, one other thing, how long does the NL post take? Presuming its transhipped from China to Holland? Ive had a few other gadgets delivered the past few days from china that have only taken 10 days which is quick for this time of the year

The 1GB or 2GB version?

The answer is always "depends" unfortunately with shipping on the slow boat...can be anything from 10-30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I took the 1gig worked out at €50 delivered, fingers crossing it slips through the net

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Invincible

Allyall wrote: »
    I think like the addons and apps, there are too many.. :)
    There seems to be a few new models/versions out every day.
    Anyway, this won't suffer from the same problems as the M8, as it isn't made by the same people. It has the newer hardware and includes a free mouse and Flash drive while this offer is running (Up to Dec 4th).
    Netherlands Post (PostNL) should get it here pretty quickly.
    QFdDYie.jpg?1

About to order 2GB version of this box, what manufacturer has best history, ENY Technologies or Shiningworth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Invincible wrote: »
    About to order 2GB version of this box, what manufacturer has best history, ENY Technologies or Shiningworth?

Where are you ordering the 2GB RAM version from?

I am still waiting for the M8C 1GB version to arrive, was supposedly despatched about a week ago now....

reni10 wrote: »
    Where are you ordering the 2GB RAM version from?

I am still waiting for the M8C 1GB version to arrive, was supposedly despatched about a week ago now....

One of the dealers off aliexpress is doing it for $86.68 delivered with NL post, the other off Alibaba is looking for $87 including NL post, but they are manufacturer, Shiningworth.
    Can't put up links as not on pc now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A certain livesport app from google play store doesn't seem to work properly on android boxes,I found that casting from your phone to the box is a decent workaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

zerks wrote: »
    A certain livesport app from google play store doesn't seem to work properly on android boxes,I found that casting from your phone to the box is a decent workaround.

What do you use to cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Apologies if I'm going off topic here but could anyone recommend me a decent BT keyboard with touch mouse? I was looking at the K400 from logictech I've seen it priced at €40.

Surely there's one out there at half the price that does the same thing though?

Gearbest just shipped my MX3 box, coming by DHL so should be here early next week. Excited :D I await customs catching me now :(

rob316 wrote: »
    Gearbest just shipped my MX3 box, coming by DHL so should be here early next week. Excited :D I await customs catching me now :(

Mine is on the slow boat from China. Be here in two weeks I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

rob316 wrote: »

Parcel motel is the way to go!

Parcel motel is the way to go!

Cuts out the parasites? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Invincible wrote: »
    Cuts out the parasites? :)

Yep. Waiting on a parcel for weeks and just spotted today I used my home address for delivery instead of parcel motel.

Its now in the Dublin mail center, awaiting a 23 percent vat charge and 7 euro an post "administration" charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

Are the British Customs not as strict for passing on the vat charge and what happens if they do? Do Parcel Motel inform you and pass on the charge to the customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Are the British Customs not as strict for passing on the vat charge and what happens if they do? Do Parcel Motel inform you and pass on the charge to the customer?

No, any duty or taxes due, Parcel Motel refuse the package and return it. The UK customs are marginally stricter - over £15 threshold is liable for Import VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

styron wrote: »
    No, any duty or taxes due, Parcel Motel refuse the package and return it. The UK customs are marginally stricter - over £15 threshold is liable for Import VAT.

If parcelmotel return it you not risking not egtting your product?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement