Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi guys

Just going buying the Mx3 2gb from gearbest, can someone recommend a remote please from there?

thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just going buying the Mx3 2gb from gearbest, can someone recommend a remote please from there?

thanks alot

It comes with one, unless you are looking for an airmouse also?
    11D2DCB9A8DCA74F43602ECF6010F279_640-480.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi guys

thanks alot

I just use standard wireless mouse and keyboard.....it works great....

I only need the keyboard for set up and the odd time I take down for captcha but I find it easier than remote/fly mouse

stevire wrote: »
    When buying from gearbest (getting the MX3 2gb version) - is it safer to expedited shipping or just go flat shipping through NL post?

Expedited is quicker but you or more less going to get hit with customs. I have once not get hit by customs by DHL and cant understand why. So you are better building in the cost of customs on the price of the box.

If going standard it takes a looonnnngggg time but you have a better chance of not getting hit with customs.....still you could wait for ages and still get hit with customs. It also takes them alot longer to work out the cost, DHL will do it up in an hour or 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hi guys

thanks alot

Forget messing about with apps or mini remotes.
    Best by a mile for any htpc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-K400/dp/B005LDLQXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417443637&sr=8-1&keywords=k400

• Advertisement

There's actually a bargain alert for that in Tesco in the UK so there's a chance you might find one here....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Was there a Linux linked here for the MXIII?

I only got the 1gb version so looking to put this on and set up XBMC for my mate as he doesn't want Android on it.

Well worth the money.

That looks exactly what I need, thanks for the heads up on the Tesco site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is there much difference between the mx2 and mx3? I previously had a 2 that I have away but I was going to buy another, solely for xbmc does it matter if its 1 or 2 gig or ram?

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    Is there much difference between the mx2 and mx3? I previously had a 2 that I have away but I was going to buy another, solely for xbmc does it matter if its 1 or 2 gig or ram?

From what I know the MX2 is a dual core box, the mx3 is quad core.

I got some information earlier and it looks like the price of the MX2 is rising so I just purchased a MXQ today for myself. This is for specific requirement

The MX3 is good value for money, I have the 1GB version and use for XBMC and have no issues with it at all.....

There is code for MX3 1Gb if your interested, delivered for €49 from Gearbest, back a few pages on this thread.

There is code floating around for the 2GB from Gearbest as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Anyone ever use the site lightinthebox.com?

They seem to be a US site but say they ship from their European warehouse. Would I have to pay duty then?

Anyone ever use the site lightinthebox.com?

They seem to be a US site but say they ship from their European warehouse. Would I have to pay duty then?

I checked them before and everything came from US, cant see where it says European warehouse?

Can someone recommend somewhere a bit closer to home to buy the mx3 from? Don't mind it will cost a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Can someone recommend somewhere a bit closer to home to buy the mx3 from? Don't mind it will cost a bit more.

Have you checked Adverts.ie?

I can ship one in and charge you double if you want??? :P

@Big Nelly Did you flash a ROM to the box? Or Linux even?

Is it worth going for the 2gb mx3 or is the 1gb sufficient for xbmc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭Invincible

Is it worth going for the 2gb mx3 or is the 1gb sufficient for xbmc?

For the few euro more, personally is go for the 2GB.

dahat wrote: »
    @Big Nelly Did you flash a ROM to the box? Or Linux even?

Not the current one, made a purchase today which I plan on putting openelec onto or some other custom ROMs, paid for quick shipping so hopefully have in a week

Need a new toy to play with, have got a little bored with android

I have flashed rom before but on T-R42 boxes mostly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just went to get the mx3 there and notice the mxq showing as for sale at half price 50usd, is there any specific differences or should I grab the cheaper one

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Not the current one, made a purchase today which I plan on putting openelec onto or some other custom ROMs, paid for quick shipping so hopefully have in a week

Need a new toy to play with, have got a little bored with android

I have flashed rom before but on T-R42 boxes mostly!

Was just curious as to how stable the factory ROM was is all.

I will likely flash linux myself if the ROM is unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

5500 wrote: »
    Just went to get the mx3 there and notice the mxq showing as for sale at half price 50usd, is there any specific differences or should I grab the cheaper one

The MXQ is a slower proc S805 (1.5 v's 2.GHz capacity) with a quad core Mali 450 GPU compared to the octo core Mali of the MXIII's S802

Comparison - http://www.amlogic.com/product03.htm

The MXQ isn't meant to be capable of decoding Ultra (4K2K) formats. It's 1080p alright but comparing the listed supported video formats seems restrictive (no MKV but surely an error):
    MXQ - Video Format: 3D, MPEG-4, AVS, WMV, 1080P, MPEG-1, H.264, VC-1

MXIII - Video Format: TS, RMVB, FLV, DAT, MOV, WMV, MPG, M2TS, AVI, MPEG, TP, MKV, VOB, TRP, RM, ASF, MP4

I went with the 2GB MX3 and it's heading to customs now. If I'm gonna pay a flat €7 charge + I'd prefer it to go towards a reasonably future proofed box than be stuck with one that can't play a UHD format in the near future that I never realised I wanted :pac:

Moore's law makes a monkey of all us in the end - I've a year old MK808b dangling from the telly that I can't remember turning on. It's worth forking over the extra few quid on a €50-65 item.

I am quite likely to fall into the buy a box,play with said box then re sell said box and go buy another box....rinse and repeat!

It will be fun sure, the Amazon fire lookalike is next for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭Invincible

I am quite likely to fall into the buy a box,play with said box then re sell said box and go buy another box....rinse and repeat!

You're getting like Big Nelly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

its a hard game until you go htpc and then your are happy .

massy086 wrote: »
    its a hard game until you go htpc and then your are happy .

That's the aim though know nothing really about ideal system but I'm sure I will find out somewhere.

Try make 20-30 per box over 10 boxes and that should be enough to get something decent.

I have been doing that for last 6 months, bought first XBMC box this time last year, spent first 5-6 months getting the hang of XBMC and then started to swap boxes

Only box so far where I wasn't too happy was the Amazon Fire TV. Waste of time and money that was

But sure you win some you lose some

As I have mentioned on here before, your better off not spending big money on your first box. Start off small and see if XBMC is for you. Then once you get the hang of it look around and invest in a box which you know will meet your needs

I done that and thought I was getting the box I wanted with the Minix. That has been a massive let down. The firmware issues on it are a huge pain compared to the T-R42 which I started off with. I bought that for circa €50 and it was great. Also was a box with loads of firmware options to try and test so I could get the hang of flashing etc

The T-R42 is a dated box now thou, so the MX boxes seem to be similar as loads of people are using them as a base to develop firmwares for them

From my limited experience with XBMC it seem that it runs a whole lot better without Android behind it.

Android can be a pain really as you actually get bogged down by two systems on a box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

From my limited experience with XBMC it seem that it runs a whole lot better without Android behind it.

Android can be a pain really as you actually get bogged down by two systems on a box

My Minix box is on 24X7 and running XBMC. I think I give it a restart / reboot about every week or 2.

What bits get bogged down for you? I find some of the plugins a bit flakey but they're flakey no matter what platform XBMC is on.

I generally use mine for streaming from a NAS or playing links sent from my phone using Yatse and an app that can't be mentioned here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement