Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

5500 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm is there updated firmware or roms available to flash to the mx3 1GB boxs or is it only the 2GBs?

check on freaktab, I done a quick search on it and a few threads about firmware on it....might be a good place to start

Is there an issue with it? or why you looking to flash firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Slightly off topic but here goes.

Can i run both XBMC and Kodi on the same box?
    Will one interfere with another in the background, will the user data files etc get all mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Isn't kodi just an updated version of XBMC? What advantage would there be to have the 2 on the one box?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Isn't kodi just an updated version of XBMC? What advantage would there be to have the 2 on the one box?

That was my understanding too! I'll stand corrected though if that's not the case and look forward to reading what the difference is?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Pulled the trigger on one of these in last few weeks:

MINIX NEO X8-H Plus Amlogic S812-H Quad Core Android 4.4 Mini TV Box HDMI HDD Player 2G/16G H.265 4K 802.11AC 2.4G/5.0G WIFI 1000M LAN BT - Black

Running it wirelessly in a room adjacent to the room where the router is located and so far it seems to run ok. Been loading recommended apps and XBMC stuff based on what I found on GOOGLE.

Is there one definitive accurate URL where all the best APPS are listed instead of trawling through sites and YOUTUBE vids?

And yes, I got done for customs/VAT by DHL on receipt (about €33). Only spotted afterwards that there is an approved retailer in Ireland for the Minix gear.

I will check the firmware revision and the BMC revision to see how it stands against what Others on here have loaded. Not going to convert to Linux any time soon unless there is a compelling reason to do so!

What's the experience of other purchasers been to date as I understand this is a pretty new model?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Till Kodi becomes stable and can use full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

dahat wrote: »
    Till Kodi becomes stable and can use full time.

So what advantages would there be too having both on the one box?

I probably never update to it everything works fine for me now so no point.

So what advantages would there be too having both on the one box?

I probably never update to it everything works fine for me now so no point.

Just too see the improvements from Gotham really.
    I'd like to use 13.2 as my base and 14.0 as a plaything as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hi folks, long time reader of this thread and as a result of the good feedback/recommendations on the MXiii I am going to order one today from dx unless you think I should order elsewhere? http://www.dx.com/p/mxiii-4k-quad-core-android-4-4-2-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-8gb-rom-wi-fi-tf-hdmi-av-black-336923#.VIlqJnupRaY

Also, what would be the recommended air mouse for this box? I already have a BT keyboard and mouse which might do the job, however if the airmouse is a better solution, then I don't mind ordering one at the same time.

Thanks for any pointers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

golfbgud wrote: »

MINIX NEO X8-H Plus Amlogic S812-H Quad Core Android 4.4 Mini TV Box HDMI HDD Player 2G/16G H.265 4K 802.11AC 2.4G/5.0G WIFI 1000M LAN BT - Black

Running it wirelessly in a room adjacent to the room where the router is located and so far it seems to run ok. Been loading recommended apps and XBMC stuff based on what I found on GOOGLE.

Is there one definitive accurate URL where all the best APPS are listed instead of trawling through sites and YOUTUBE vids?

And yes, I got done for customs/VAT by DHL on receipt (about €33). Only spotted afterwards that there is an approved retailer in Ireland for the Minix gear.

I will check the firmware revision and the BMC revision to see how it stands against what Others on here have loaded. Not going to convert to Linux any time soon unless there is a compelling reason to do so!

What's the experience of other purchasers been to date as I understand this is a pretty new model?

Thanks.

Where did you buy it from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mickalus wrote: »
    Common denominator is the XBMC - it's the business! Android or Linux - whatever floats your boat, as long as it runs XBMC well, you're sorted!

XBMC does indeed give you a menu, point it to your library and it goes off to the internet and grabs pics and descriptions for all your content and displays it on screen so it's exactly what you need.

What main difference would I notice in these two ?
    or am I looking in the wrong area?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141456819633?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221528931716?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One other thing.

I notice a lot of talk of wireless keyboard and mouse.

Is this essential as I basically want something to stream from my nas , use xbmc and watch whatever is available on them ( movies etc,)

Will want to have a fiddle if *Extras* can be added. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ciarsd wrote: »
    Hi folks, long time reader of this thread and as a result of the good feedback/recommendations on the MXiii I am going to order one today from dx unless you think I should order elsewhere? http://www.dx.com/p/mxiii-4k-quad-core-android-4-4-2-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-8gb-rom-wi-fi-tf-hdmi-av-black-336923#.VIlqJnupRaY

Also, what would be the recommended air mouse for this box? I already have a BT keyboard and mouse which might do the job, however if the airmouse is a better solution, then I don't mind ordering one at the same time.

Thanks for any pointers!

Hi there, cant vouch for deal extreme but I can for gearbest, got the MX3 from them and its a super piece of kit. Just to quote my post when someone asked the same.
    Getting the MX3 with expedited shipping from gearbest.com would be your best bet. Its $85.12 but code m82lm will bring it to $71.99, add expedited shipping (DHL) your total will be $85.12 approx. €69

You will probably also pay VAT and handling charge of approx. €16 + €7-€10 (update; I paid DHL €17 in total)

So that will come in under your budget. I ordered the same on the 1st and DHL have it out for delivery today to me!

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Dahat, should be fine to run both on the same system. The files in 13.2 are in a folder named .xbmc and Kodi is .kodi.

Tried moving .xbmc files to Kodi renamed the folder .kodi but a lot of things didn't work :o so ended up starting from scratch with Kodi.

General question has anyone went down the official update route for Minix any thoughts to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

golfbgud wrote: »

Thanks.

Yes Smarttvbox.ie is the approved retailer for Minix.

user2011 wrote: »
    Dahat, should be fine to run both on the same system. The files in 13.2 are in a folder named .xbmc and Kodi is .kodi.

Tried moving .xbmc files to Kodi renamed the folder .kodi but a lot of things didn't work :o so ended up starting from scratch with Kodi.

General question has anyone went down the official update route for Minix any thoughts to share?

Excellent, exactly what I was after. Also when installed Kodi my XBMC set up moved across and I was left with a blank 13.2 so will have to start both from scratch as Istream isn't Kodi compatible yet.

Did you get one force stopping the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi there, cant vouch for deal extreme but I can for gearbest, got the MX3 from them and its a super piece of kit. Just to quote my post when someone asked the same.

Thanks Rob, went ahead with your own suggestion and code on Gearbest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Excellent, exactly what I was after. Also when installed Kodi my XBMC set up moved across and I was left with a blank 13.2 so will have to start both from scratch as Istream isn't Kodi compatible yet.

Try installing kodi first, then after that xbmc 13.2.
    when first isntalling kodi it moves teh files over from xbmc so it's a seemless change. it shoudl work teh other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I've never ran both at the same time I've always closed and cleared one or the other from running.

Not sure how the xbmc set up moved over seeing as the data folder is a different name :confused:

I actually had 3 on my Minix :o Minix xbmc, SPMC and Kodi never had problems.

If you havent sorted 13.2 just move the floder in kodi rename it .xbmc place it in 13.2 should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Sorry to be a Noob here...there is way to much info to read back on.

Looking for an Android box, Will want it to watch loads of soccer games and just general channels?

Any one recommend one. Lad local sells them for 100€ and then said it was 19€ subscription per month for 90+ sports package.

but im sure hes out to make hes fortune off lads like me.

Dont want to spend massive money as already have a skybox f5 in the sitting room

user2011 wrote: »
    I've never ran both at the same time I've always closed and cleared one or the other from running.

Not sure how the xbmc set up moved over seeing as the data folder is a different name :confused:

I actually had 3 on my Minix :o Minix xbmc, SPMC and Kodi never had problems.

If you havent sorted 13.2 just move the floder in kodi rename it .xbmc place it in 13.2 should be good to go.

Ended up doing a fresh start on both so will install from new. As annoying as it is I quite enjoy the set up but I stick to simple skins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kmrm

DubDJ wrote: »
    I ordered the same one and picked Netherlands post of shipping, I will hopefully have it by the end of this week and if I do i'll let you know what the customs charges are.

Have you received yours yet? I ordered mine 30th November.. Got a tracking number as said was shipped 1st Dec... But my tracking number still isn't shown on nlpost..I know takes a few weeks to deliver but would thought tracking number would be working

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

kmrm wrote: »
    Have you received yours yet? I ordered mine 30th November.. Got a tracking number as said was shipped 1st Dec... But my tracking number still isn't shown on nlpost..I know takes a few weeks to deliver but would thought tracking number would be working

Nope not yet, tracking number didn't work for me for a while either. I ordered on a Monday and this coming Monday will be 4 weeks since I placed the order. It's been just over two weeks since it shipped. My tracking was showing as pre-adviced for days which means they have the shipping label. As of today it changed to at NL sorting centre. So I'm hoping to have it early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone ever use the WiFi home plugs with these devices, I've heard they really improve the WiFi signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

For anyone who used NL post as an option how long did it take to land in Ireland from the time it showed as pre advised on tracking

DubDJ wrote: »
    Nope not yet, tracking number didn't work for me for a while either. I ordered on a Monday and this coming Monday will be 4 weeks since I placed the order. It's been just over two weeks since it shipped. My tracking was showing as pre-adviced for days which means they have the shipping label. As of today it changed to at NL sorting centre. So I'm hoping to have it early next week.

4weeks, mother of god, damn slow boat from China is slower than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Folks

Need to wipe, my Minix and reinstall

IS there a URL, or repository , where i can install all the common adds please (from one source)

Mashup
    Ice films
    etc

Any other Add -on suggestions would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

IS there a URL, or repository , where i can install all the common adds please (from one source)

Mashup
    Ice films
    etc

http://www.xunitytalk.com/showthread.php?6033-XBMC-Backup-Restore-App!

Hi Folks

Mashup
    Ice films
    etc

Can't really discuss here on detail I'm afraid.

Mash up is dead by the way in case you didn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi Folks

Mashup
    Ice films
    etc

Google TV Add on's wizard

Then it is youtube.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement