Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Allyall wrote: »
    He's only really interested in the money, and has a long history of looking after himself while creating a big mess for a lot of the average users.
    If you want to pay for streams, there are way better options.
    Looking him up with -xunity added after his name should wield better results. 4th and 6th in those particular results. He has flooded google with his name to try and bury them, but they're not hard to find. He has quite a few plugins, and TBH some aren't bad, but you can find equal ones elsewhere.

What I meant by that is, You should may already have tools installed.... ;)

:D
    Yikes, I hope not..
    I try to not mention anything, even grey area stuff.. :o

If I do, I do not bloody hell know.

I installed that Rom and follow vdubt youtube videos. That is about all I know.

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if XBMC will work on the WebOS - (this is built into LG TVs)?

This TV in particular (which I have just bought for a mere 400 euro)

http://www.lg.com/ae/tvs/lg-42LB6330/technical-specifications

Thanks

Bumpty bump - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Bumpty bump - anyone?

I don't think so.
    I don't think anyone is planning on doing it, or even if it can be done.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen Plex on it though.

You may find more info
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/
    and
    http://www.lgwebos.com/forum/37-lg-store-tv-webos-apps/

I don't think so.
    I don't think anyone is planning on doing it, or even if it can be done.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen Plex on it though.

You may find more info
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/
    and
    http://www.lgwebos.com/forum/37-lg-store-tv-webos-apps/

Thanks.

More reading :)

Thanks.

More reading :)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Anyones getting the error message "no source found" for tv shows on 1channel, the movies seem to work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Anyones getting the error message "no source found" for tv shows on 1channel, the movies seem to work fine.

Please read the title of the thread you are posting in.Or maybe you posted here by mistake.:rolleyes:

sugarman wrote: »
    Well, anyone got any good recommendations?

Thread is gone so far off topic talking about addons etc.. that cant find good recommendations and reviews!

Looking for something snappy, quadcore 2gb ram under €100 pref.
    I think like the addons and apps, there are too many.. :)
    There seems to be a few new models/versions out every day.
    Anyway, this won't suffer from the same problems as the M8, as it isn't made by the same people. It has the newer hardware and includes a free mouse and Flash drive while this offer is running (Up to Dec 4th).
    Netherlands Post (PostNL) should get it here pretty quickly.
    QFdDYie.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyway, this won't suffer from the same problems as the M8, as it isn't made by the same people. It has the newer hardware and includes a free mouse and Flash drive while this offer is running (Up to Dec 4th).
    QFdDYie.jpg?1

Hows the Wi Fi on these units?

Thinking of going the HTPC route to finally get a stable XBMC platform with no buffering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Thinking of going the HTPC route to finally get a stable XBMC platform with no buffering!

I have a custom built htpc and it flys along no crashes

• Advertisement

HTPC. No contest.

Android Devices are ok, and better when they are a decent price, but when they go over €100 ...
    (All the cráp with Minix etc.) The focus on pushing them out to make as much money in as little time.
    It's worth looking at HTPC's.
    Not necessarily excellent units, but for streaming (Which is essentially what the Android units only do), stability, and recording/downloading (storage) you could look at a lot of different units.
    They don't all need quad-core CPU's and octo-core GPU's, they are less buggy (as mentioned), upgradeable, more 'apps', more useable websites available, easier to configure, the list is endless.
    The option to install many/any OS is also a massive advantage.

You can install Windows/Linux and Android on these sticks meego and Apec (as mentioned) and I'd imagine they are an excellent advantage to bring travelling. But they are few and far between.

All of that said, it's a good time to be looking, as with Black Friday Sales starting tomorrow, you might pick up a good barebones for fairly cheap from Amazon (Europe may be cheaper).
    Then for the time being if you wanted, you could just add RAM and openelec from a USB.
    Hard drives are cheaper, with a 320GB/500GB external in Dunnes for €16/€20, You could open that and install it. So you could have a decent linux/windows HTPC for less than the price of an android box.
    The folks over in HTPC are without a doubt the best place for all of that.

EDIT:
    The Android units are still a great unit, especially to have on a home network and with phones and tablets etc.. But < €100 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

QFdDYie.jpg?1

Can you please post the actual link to this not just an image?

reni10 wrote: »
    Can you please post the actual link to this not just an image?

The image is a clickable link.

The image is a clickable link.

Ah, using m.boards.ie on my phone it only comes up as an image!

But using Desktop Chrome it is clickable.

I might order one of those as it has nearly everything I need bar the gigabit ethernet but I am not going to pay nearly 3 times more for that...

HTPC. No contest.

Android Devices are ok, and better when they are a decent price, but when they go over €100 ...
    (All the cráp with Minix etc.) The focus on pushing them out to make as much money in as little time.
    It's worth looking at HTPC's.
    Not necessarily excellent units, but for streaming (Which is essentially what the Android units only do), stability, and recording/downloading (storage) you could look at a lot of different units.
    They don't all need quad-core CPU's and octo-core GPU's, they are less buggy (as mentioned), upgradeable, more 'apps', more useable websites available, easier to configure, the list is endless.
    The option to install many/any OS is also a massive advantage.

You can install Windows/Linux and Android on these sticks meego and Apec (as mentioned) and I'd imagine they are an excellent advantage to bring travelling. But they are few and far between.

All of that said, it's a good time to be looking, as with Black Friday Sales starting tomorrow, you might pick up a good barebones for fairly cheap from Amazon (Europe may be cheaper).
    Then for the time being if you wanted, you could just add RAM and openelec from a USB.
    Hard drives are cheaper, with a 320GB/500GB external in Dunnes for €16/€20, You could open that and install it. So you could have a decent linux/windows HTPC for less than the price of an android box.
    The folks over in HTPC are without a doubt the best place for all of that.

EDIT:
    The Android units are still a great unit, especially to have on a home network and with phones and tablets etc.. But < €100 imo.

Excellent post again. Thanks.

Did you ever think about installing Roms or setting up a HTPC system for people? I'd certainly pay to have someone do it for me as I'm not that good on the technical side.

A htpc with XBMC running smoothly and the option to add a few apps myself would be what im looking for.

I've had the mx2 and the m8 android box's and found both to be too unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The M8 box running Linux or Open Elec even would be pretty solid from what I have come across in groups dedicated to xbmc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Did you ever think about installing Roms or setting up a HTPC system for people? I'd certainly pay to have someone do it for me as I'm not that good on the technical side.

A htpc with XBMC running smoothly and the option to add a few apps myself would be what im looking for.

did you have either boxs running linux or where they both on android????

massy086 wrote: »
    did you have either boxs running linux or where they both on android????

Both were on stock android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Anyone got this model? I'm thinking of buying this.

http://www.droidstibox/

That box is made by a company called Zoomtak.
    I can't see it written there, but it should also have a sata connection, i.e. you can add a 2.5 sata drive internally.
    That delivered to Ireland (Quick delivery) including VAT should be ~ €90.
    I don't know if that company charge for shipping, but even with free shipping, they are over €50 more. That's entirely your choice.

I got one about two weeks ago, and it gets hot. It's not bad, I haven't fully played with it yet. I couldn't find any decent roms and it kept freezing on me, which got annoying.
    Mele also offer some boxes that allow you to add internal SATA.
    I think the site is mele.com.cn I'm not sure.
    I am not near a PC at the minute, I'll post up both links when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ciaran76 wrote: »

Seems pretty expensive for what is basically the same spec as a Minex 8-H, and is using the same chipset, GPU and board as 100's of boxes out there priced at €60-€80.

It also claims H265 decoding, which I'm not sure is supported by that chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

The MXQ, I installed a few ROMS, but went with this
    ROM version 108k4 Compiled 27 October - MIRROR1 - MIRROR2
    It seems very good now, bit tired will know more tomorrow. No slow down, no lagging and more importantly Media112 doesn't seem to be as much of resource hog, but still is a waste. I'm going to remove it altogether from the firmware.

Hi Allyall, what was your overall verdict on the MXQ? Any issues? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Both were on stock android.

Pity you didn't try Linux as it really does make either box really good for XBMC by all accounts.

I bit the bullet and ordered the M8C from Tinydeal. It has pretty much everything I wanted now I hope it is stable.

Will post a review here once I get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

reni10 wrote: »
    I bit the bullet and ordered the M8C from Tinydeal. It has pretty much everything I wanted now I hope it is stable.

Will post a review here once I get it....

Nice one, I was all set to go for the X8-H plus untill I saw that has more or less the same spec, look forward to your review.

Are they shipping from China?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bradyiano

Looking for a box, minimum lag, good price and good after sale services. Have read around and there are so many boxes and places to get them.

Also looking for it fully loaded.

So far my preference is either of the below any suggestions?

Minix X8
    or
    droidsticks.co.uk/shop/combo-t8-aml-v2-amlogic-s802-android-4-4-mini-4k-tv-box-s77-pro-keyboard/

banham wrote: »
    Hi Allyall, what was your overall verdict on the MXQ? Any issues? Thank you.
    It's decent, but as with a most of them they need a decent Rom.
    There are four Roms coming out for that model as far as I can tell, which should make it worth the purchase (That there are people actively working on it).
    I had no issues with it playing any formats (that it claims to play - i.e. no freezing etc.), but my main gripe is that Media skin/launcher that comes with it. It is removable, but all/most of the Chinese Stock Roms are terrible.

Go raibh maith agat :)
    dahat wrote: »
    Pity you didn't try Linux as it really does make either box really good for XBMC by all accounts.

Have to agree with dahat.
    Installing a Rom has become easier than ever.
    It's literally now Push a button and power on, with a USB key/SD card attached for most devices.
    Patching/Modding and even creating your own custom Roms isn't so hard either, but can be time consuming. Some more so than others. While it can be okay to do as a Hobby, when you find yourself doing it for others, it can test your patience, so a lot of respect to the people who do it in a given timeframe.

I know both the MX2 and M8 have different issues, ranging from unresponsive/low responsive (?) remote controls, to freezing and seizing and stutters. But both can be fixed in a better Rom.
    Also, some of the rushed out MX2 boxes had a good board, bad remote, There is a mod somewhere for that also.

EDIT:
    I forgot to add the links mentioned for the sata boxes.
    Zoomtak T8 - It has gone up slightly (Currency fluctuation), and there are a few different versions :confused:, even one that is recommended to stay away from, so this is the link to the manufacturers store.

Mele Products (One of the better makes early on, seem to have gone quiet for a while)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

QFdDYie.jpg?1

Just wondering where Tinydeals is based? will it get hit with VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote: »

This arrived this morning. showbox and xbmc installed. iptv configured now.
    Delighted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i have to buy a kris kringle present.
    what box would you recommend for a max budget of 50euro?

i would probably only be used for xbmc and would need quite good wifi. i dont mind sticking a few add-ons onto it , but would prefare not to have to flash roms etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement