Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

dahat wrote: »
    Is the MXiii good under WiFi? Chasing a second box but needs to have really good WiFi capability.

I'd say the wireless on this would be good. Will let you know if it's not..

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6321514108.html

201409112036567510.jpg

Does that mean any CS918II unit would have good wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm having terrible trouble with Netflix on my Minix X-8h. I've the latest version of the app and the box is connected directly to my UPC 100mb fibre router by Cat 6 cable.

Anything I watch on Netflix skips and stutters constantly. I have no problem streaming YouTube and other online connect including HD sports context etc so its not my broadband connection.

Anyone else having similar issues with the Netflix app on their Android box? Anyone got a fix?

Have a look here

http://www.minixforum.com

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kingdomkerry

What is the best android box to purchase. I want to be able to watch all channels live including sky sports. I want to be able to download any apps I want. On demand for soaps etc and films built in or just out in cinema would be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

What is the best android box to purchase. I want to be able to watch all channels live including sky sports. I want to be able to download any apps I want. On demand for soaps etc and films built in or just out in cinema would be great?

Two things:-

1. No one here can help you if your intention is to infringe copyright material. If we do that the thread will be closed. We can help you find the right box for your needs and help you set it up but we can't post links or instructions on how to breach copyright.

2. The "best box" depends on a) your usage criteria and broadband set up (do you need strong WiFi or will the box be cabled? and b) your budget.

Lot's of people here have purchased Minix boxes and currently the Neo X8-h is their flagship http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEO-X8-H.html but there other high end boxes from other manufacturers and there are certainly other boxes which offer better value for money i.e. similar performance for less €.

Regardless of what box you invest in you're going to have to learn how to set up apps, install add on's (for XBMC) etc. It's tweaking and can be somewhat time consuming but if you enjoy such challenges you'll be fine as you'll get a lot of help here. If however you're looking for a black box solution which just works 100% out of the box with IPTV configured, movie sources set up etc I don't think you'll find such a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kingdomkerry

BenEadir wrote: »
    Two things:-

1. No one here can help you if your intention is to infringe copyright material. If we do that the thread will be closed. We can help you find the right box for your needs and help you set it up but we can't post links or instructions on how to breach copyright.

2. The "best box" depends on a) your usage criteria and broadband set up (do you need strong WiFi or will the box be cabled? and b) your budget.

Lot's of people here have purchased Minix boxes and currently the Neo X8-h is their flagship http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEO-X8-H.html but there other high end boxes from other manufacturers and there are certainly other boxes which offer better value for money i.e. similar performance for less €.

Regardless of what box you invest in you're going to have to learn how to set up apps, install add on's (for XBMC) etc. It's tweaking and can be somewhat time consuming but if you enjoy such challenges you'll be fine as you'll get a lot of help here. If however you're looking for a black box solution which just works 100% out of the box with IPTV configured, movie sources set up etc I don't think you'll find such a box.

I am just looking for a recommendation for someone who wants to watch any channel including the sports channels, watch programmes missed at later times, similar to on demand?? I have standard wi fi. Budget not really an issue but I want value for money and don't want to be spending more than I need to for what I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I am just looking for a recommendation for someone who wants to watch any channel including the sports channels, watch programmes missed at later times, similar to on demand?? I have standard wi fi. Budget not really an issue but I want value for money and don't want to be spending more than I need to for what I need.

A Sky Subscription is likely your best bet.

Android boxes are great but take a lot of fiddling to get right when things go off kilter.
    Just look at the associated forums and Facebook groups. XBMC on Android boxes is not a complete solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A Sky Subscription is likely your best bet.

Android boxes are great but take a lot of fiddling to get right when things go off kilter.
    Just look at the associated forums and Facebook groups. XBMC on Android boxes is not a complete solution.

+1, Carphone Warehouse have extended their Half Price for a year Sky offer.

Android & xbmc can do some of what you ask but we can't discuss that here,google & youtube is your friend but as a replacement for Sky it can't be recommended,especially if you want to just switch it on & channel hop.

On another note,I was messing with mine & hooked it up to my surround sound via the audio out & it's great.I use it as a media player for stuff I download due to the fact that tv's have trouble with files over a certain size when played directly through them from USB.
    My box is fully loaded (thanks to Allyall for the links & help) and I use it a good bit,certainly better than Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Do people leave there android boxes on stand by or unplug at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Invincible

On standby, sure they're A++ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I disconnect mine after I power it off!

• Advertisement

Only reason i asked is because when i plugged mine out the other night,my shortcuts in xbmc went and some other enabled settings were unticked when i switched back on, though it might have been becasue i unplugged the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

So Looking at being able to future proof my purchase I think what is needed is a good quality box that has the following:

1gb Ethernet Connection
    4k Playback support
    H265 Playback support
    Full Infrared control capabilities (So a Harmony Remote or something like that can be used to integrate fully into a HT setup)
    2GB RAM
    Upgradeable to Android 5.0 and beyond

Are there any boxes out there at the moment that have all of the above and that are well respected?
    Or are there any about to be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Purchased one of these in the last week or so, the M8 square box. Having a nightmare with the wifi on it its pretty much useless and using ethernet is not an option for me, I get good signal and my other devices such as phone, ps4 & laptop work great in the same room.

I contacted the seller and he linked me to an update file, done that still no joy. Has anyone else experienced difficulty with the wifi speeds on this box?

Cudders wrote: »
    Purchased one of these in the last week or so, the M8 square box. Having a nightmare with the wifi on it its pretty much useless and using ethernet is not an option for me, I get good signal and my other devices such as phone, ps4 & laptop work great in the same room.

I contacted the seller and he linked me to an update file, done that still no joy. Has anyone else experienced difficulty with the wifi speeds on this box?

Try this.
    http://www.mbox.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=136

Look for the Mediaman ROM, should fix the WiFi issues.

Cheers dude, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers dude, will let you know how I get on.

Actually just double check the WiFi with him, I have the m8 but don't use WiFi. The ROM itself is the best one I have tried.

Linux or Open Elec is your other options.

Actually just double check the WiFi with him, I have the m8 but don't use WiFi. The ROM itself is the best one I have tried.

Linux or Open Elec is your other options.

His current link seems to be dead and I'm having no joy finding one on google! Don't suppose you'd have an alternative link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yep, it should work with all devices. But it does with the MX2.

Allyall wrote: »
    Yep, it should work with all devices. But it does with the MX2.

Thanks
    Got the mx2 the other day and the remote that comes with it is ok but does'nt do everything

• Advertisement

His current link seems to be dead and I'm having no joy finding one on google! Don't suppose you'd have an alternative link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1eydt9skxvvbtg/M8-2GB_141020.zip

Thinks thats it.

Bought it for my M8 a few days ago, really impressed with it.

Bought it for my M8 a few days ago, really impressed with it.

Is it a full size keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have the nintendo BT keyboard at home from that pokéman game that I got in Argos.
    That should work with my x8-h, right? :)

Can I also separately use a 2.4ghz wireless mouse at the same time as the keyboard?

Invincible wrote: »
    Is it a full size keyboard?

3/4 size I'd say.

Thinks thats it.

Legend! Thanks will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I have the nintendo BT keyboard at home from that pokéman game that I got in Argos.
    That should work with my x8-h, right? :)

Can I also separately use a 2.4ghz wireless mouse at the same time as the keyboard?

To answer this, you can :D

Big Nelly wrote: »
    As mentioned will give a review once I get it in....

Did your MXIII arrive yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

will56 wrote: »

I have a pi running XBMC and think it is grand. It would be considered a budget solution, it lacks the processing power of the android boxes and you don't have the Android OS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement