Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Big Nelly wrote: »
    http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Big_Nelly/library/MXIII

Hey guys

Some photo's from the install last night.....just to give you an idea what it is like....

Why not put a different launcher on it? Mine is running Nova and looks way better than that Media box crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dahat wrote: »
    Why not put a different launcher on it? Mine is running Nova and looks way better than that Media box crap.

Well aren't you great? :P:P

A few people had asked on here about how easy it was to set up. So I just showed the default from the box. As you can see from taking it out of the box and getting it up and running is very easy.......

Actually don't think it is too bad, for the default on the box. I have got boxes months ago and there was nothing like this included. For the new user it is quite user friendly and makes it alot easier for kids.....

Once you get used to Android TV/XBMC etc I think then you are better looking at other options....

Don't run before you can walk

reni10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, can you confirm that this box plays H265 encoded files?

Yes

Link below..
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html

Decoder Format: RealVideo8/9/10, HD AVC/VC-1, "HD MPEG1/2/4, H.264
    Video Format: TP, MOV, AVI, VOB, TRP, RM, ASF, MP4, RMVB, FLV, DAT, TS, WMV, MPG, M2TS, MKV, MPEG
    Audio Format: WAV, OGG, FLAC, MP3, WMA
    Photo Format: GIF, PNG, JPEG, BMP www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Mind me asking how long it took to be delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Might I recommend TV Launcher folks - it automatically finds images for popular apps (XBMC, Plex, Netflix etc.) and looks really clean on a HD screen. There is an in app purchase for the full version, only a couple of euro but worth it in my opinion. TV Launcher menu on the left, all apps on the right. The photo is how I have mine setup personally, a few Google searches for some better images and a crop feature when you add a custom app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv&hl=en

ueegKsF.jpg

mWmRqy-Z7AOnbJxA0kTA_zT3anqLSJEP57yXh1QEAf2TfAECI2dpAWnvpOmXgcTf1q7Z=h900

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Mind me asking how long it took to be delivered?

Posted yesterday

I paid DHL, it was sent on Wednesday last week and I got it yesterday morning, I did get hit with customs....arrived Monday

advertsfox wrote: »
    Might I recommend TV Launcher folks - it automatically finds images for popular apps (XBMC, Plex, Netflix etc.) and looks really clean on a HD screen. There is an in app purchase for the full version, only a couple of euro but worth it in my opinion. TV Launcher menu on the left, all apps on the right. The photo is how I have mine setup personally, a few Google searches for some better images and a crop feature when you add a custom app.

Looks good, does it have a max number of links on main page?

Looks good, does it have a max number of links on main page?
    No max (once you pay, it's £1.99), 9 is the default visible number of tiles until you scroll of course with the stock DPI but I haven't changed this to see how it would react.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

advertsfox wrote: »
    No max (once you pay, it's £1.99), 9 is the default visible number of tiles until you scroll of course with the stock DPI but I haven't changed this to see how it would react.

Seems to be an abandoned project by the dev. Pity as it looks decent.

dahat wrote: »
    Seems to be an abandoned project by the dev. Pity as it looks decent.
    It's that simple, no more updates look required (other than stock images) but it's all customizable - that RTE Player one was my own find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

Yes

Link below..
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html

Decoder Format: RealVideo8/9/10, HD AVC/VC-1, "HD MPEG1/2/4, H.264
    Video Format: TP, MOV, AVI, VOB, TRP, RM, ASF, MP4, RMVB, FLV, DAT, TS, WMV, MPG, M2TS, MKV, MPEG
    Audio Format: WAV, OGG, FLAC, MP3, WMA
    Photo Format: GIF, PNG, JPEG, BMP www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html

No mention of H.265 playback in that description.
    Unless its on a firmware upgrade?

Invincible wrote: »
    No mention of H.265 playback in that description.
    Unless its on a firmware upgrade?

Sorry my eye sight gone, I seen H.26 and then thought it had,......but it is H.264

Sorry

Seems very few off anyone supports H-265, is it really a common video format?

Below are the ones I could find.....

This looks like a good price: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_80704.html I was actually going to buy this one and then swapped for the one I have above.......

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_105253.html

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_80704.html

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_105255.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Sorry my eye sight gone, I seen H.26 and then thought it had,......but it is H.264

Sorry

Yes it does not say H265 on the description on the site but on the Box it does so I was hoping you could actually try playing a H265 file and see if it worked as you now have the box setup?

reni10 wrote: »
    Yes it does not say H265 on the description on the site but on the Box it does so I was hoping you could actually try playing a H265 file and see if it worked as you now have the box setup?

Will be able to test this evening, just trying to get a H.265 file on web....

Any links to where I could test? and nothing from the dodgy world please :-)

Done a google and found this: http://www.elecard.com/en/download/videos.html

Is this the type? sorry not a media format type of person :-)

Try here for some trailers:
    http://xhevc.com/en/hevc/encoder/videoShow.jsp

Grab the "lentoid encoded video" files as they are H265 encoded.

And also please try to the 4K H265 video file at the end as well as that should really test out the full capabilities of the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Yeah that looks about right.
    H265 is the newest of the new. Meant to be the next best thing in the 4K world. Only software decoding available right now from what I read. Open to correction tho.
    Does the 1GB ram limit anything you'd found on the box ?

Ste- wrote: »
    H265 is the newest of the new. Meant to be the next best thing in the 4K world. Only software decoding available right now from what I read. Open to correction tho.

H265 or HEVC as it is to be officially called is not related to 4K, it is a new way to encode files at much smaller bitrates for the same or better quality as H264.

So lets say a current 1080p release is 10gb then encoding this same release using HEVC would mean you could get the same quality at about 4-5gb.

The reason I am asking about this box is to see if it actually has HEVC Hardware decoding not just Software Decoding.

The Minix X6 has HEVC hardware support so want to check this box has the same before purchasing...

Nothing so far to be honest.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭skydish79

Allyall wrote: »
    You can try DNSet mentioned above, or you could install a prerooted ROM.
    (Very easy).

Extract it onto an SD Card
    Unplug Power.
    Insert Toothpick or similar into the AV hole at the back until button is pressed.
    With button still pressed attach Power.
    Wait for ROM to finish installing.
    Reboot Box.

I have bought a android cs918, I have rooted it, but Id like to back up the image so I can put it on another box

What method would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

skydish79 wrote: »
    I have bought a android cs918, I have rooted it, but Id like to back up the image so I can put it on another box

What method would you recommend?

Titanium Backup

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Anyone use spotimc?can't seem to get it working,downloaded zip but when opening in music add one I get osserror operation not permitted

I'm thinking of putting in an order for this, supports H.265 hardware decoding, RK3288. According to this article, Ugoos manufacture the MX,MK & M8 units too.

http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/10/ugoos-ut3-rockchip-rk3288-cortex-a17.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Going to upgrade by raspberry pi for something a bit quicker, is the minix mx8-h the best performance for the money out there? Also is there a difference between the mx8-h and mx8?

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Going to upgrade by raspberry pi for something a bit quicker, is the minix mx8-h the best performance for the money out there? Also is there a difference between the mx8-h and mx8?

According to the article in my post above, they couldn't find any significant difference between the Minix X8-H and the Ugoos UT3 (about €99).

Hi guys

Tried the file last night I linked earlier, after a bit of messing with some players I got it playing but quality wasn't great, wasn't sure if it was the file or the player I was using it but the box could play it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback here, I know the general opinion is that the ones in adverts and donedeal are too expenside, but really looking for something that is already set up and just plug and play. what do you think of the two below? both would be fully loaded

Q7 android 4,4 KitKat tv box +remote control 100 euro

or should I go for the minix 8 155 euro?

Hi guys

Tried the file last night I linked earlier, after a bit of messing with some players I got it playing but quality wasn't great, wasn't sure if it was the file or the player I was using it but the box could play it.....

Did the file play in MXPlayer?

For it to work you would need full video and sound in sync without any frames dropping otherwise the box is not powerful enough to hardware decode it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

MKV files wouldn't play on my PS3 but they do play on my Minix X8-H. I read that they will play on a modded PS3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement