Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

reni10 wrote: »
    1gb Ethernet Connection
    4k Playback support
    H265 Playback support
    Full Infrared control capabilities (So a Harmony Remote or something like that can be used to integrate fully into a HT setup)
    2GB RAM
    Upgradeable to Android 5.0 and beyond

Any boxes exist with all the above features yet does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Invincible

dahat wrote: »
    3/4 size I'd say.

Thanks, saw a review of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Screenshot my MK808 (€30 off Amazon, listed here) that came installed with Android 4.4.1 - XMBC updated to the latest Kodi Nightly with Aeon Nox.

FOXNET (my server, Favourites list basically) with Movies / Series / Recent are all linked directly to my Serviio uPnP Client (Windows Home Server 2011, uTorrent setup with RSS Feed and rules so I never have to manually search for the latest episode - I get notifications on my phone or in Chrome once completed) and Netflix, Chrome and (RTE) Player all link directly to the apps themselves so I don't have to leave the application. Extras goes to my Power / Settings menu - those are the only options that show.

RprMoK4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

will56 wrote: »

You'd be mad to try and run XBMC on the raspberry pi A+.
    Missing 256MB ram that the B & B+ have will lead to problems doing more or less anything. stump up the extra for a B or B+. 512MB of ram. the extra usb slots are also handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hoping somebody can help out with probably a very common question, i've read back over a few pages and couldn't find a definite answer.

Looking for a recommendation for an Android powered box, few things needed.

-Full 1080p output
    -Wifi built in + an ethernet port
    -Decent enough integrated storage e.g. 8GB or above
    -Something with enough RAM that it won't show much slowdowns
    -At least 2 USB ports
    -IR remote control included
    -Something easy enough to setup with not too much messing around

Budget would be a factor too and something around the €50 price would be handy.

I know these questions probably pop up a lot but i've read a few recommendations and it's still hard to make a decision. What's the best/most popular one out there that would have the above specs?

Any help appreciated, somebody should add an FAQ sticky to the thread which would be very helpful. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

M8 Quad core can be bought off Gearbest for €63 delivered.

You then can do any of the following:

Linux ROM
    Android rom- Mediaman
    Open Elec, Codesnake deleveoped this,google both terms to find it.

Andrpid may suit as you can get a pre configured set up off the web for nothing,can't link it here but its easy find and install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

DubDJ wrote: »
    Hoping somebody can help out with probably a very common question, i've read back over a few pages and couldn't find a definite answer.

Looking for a recommendation for an Android powered box, few things needed.

-Full 1080p output
    -Wifi built in + an ethernet port
    -Decent enough integrated storage e.g. 8GB or above
    -Something with enough RAM that it won't show much slowdowns
    -At least 2 USB ports
    -IR remote control included
    -Something easy enough to setup with not too much messing around

Budget would be a factor too and something around the €50 price would be handy.

I know these questions probably pop up a lot but i've read a few recommendations and it's still hard to make a decision. What's the best/most popular one out there that would have the above specs?

Any help appreciated, somebody should add an FAQ sticky to the thread which would be very helpful. :D

I just took delivery of one of these, building later on tonight but looks great so far, need to order in another 2-3 for a couple of mates so I asked on Gearbest and they gave me the following code

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html
    Coupon: M82LG, which will bring the price to €48.81 free shipping. Not sure if this price is correct as I will be ordering later on

Not a bad deal from what I can see, Quad core, with 8 core GPU, very good price from what I can see.....

€48 euro? Stonking price really. I'd nearly go in myself...then again you need €48!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I just took delivery of one of these, building later on tonight but looks great so far, need to order in another 2-3 for a couple of mates so I asked on Gearbest and they gave me the following code

Coupon: M82LG, which will bring the price to €48.81 free shipping. Not sure if this price is correct as I will be ordering later on

Not a bad deal from what I can see, Quad core, with 8 core GPU, very good price from what I can see.....

That seems like a good price compared to others I've been seeing around. Are they straight forward enough to get up and running? I know there's a lot of similar spec'd boxes around but the software side has me a bit wary, I don't want to go through any of the rooting or the likes. I'm not too familiar with Android myself, but these boxes seem to be the best value for money. I know the sellers on Adverts looking for €100+ are taking a huge cut out of that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

How quick was delivery ?

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    How quick was delivery ?

I paid DHL, it was sent on Wednesday last week and I got it yesterday morning, I did get hit with customs.....
    That seems like a good price compared to others I've been seeing around. Are they straight forward enough to get up and running? I know there's a lot of similar spec'd boxes around but the software side has me a bit wary, I don't want to go through any of the rooting or the likes. I'm not too familiar with Android myself, but these boxes seem to be the best value for money. I know the sellers on Adverts looking for €100+ are taking a huge cut out of that price.

I will tell you everything later tonight, I havent even taken out of the DHL bag, I would expect it will be easy to build but will know more later.....

M8 Quad core can be bought off Gearbest for €63 delivered.

You then can do any of the following:

Linux ROM
    Android rom- Mediaman
    Open Elec, Codesnake deleveoped this,google both terms to find it.

Andrpid may suit as you can get a pre configured set up off the web for nothing,can't link it here but its easy find and install.

Does this box support H265 playback?

reni10 wrote: »
    Does this box support H265 playback?

Can't answer that for you,Google likely to have the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

I paid DHL, it was sent on Wednesday last week and I got it yesterday morning, I did get hit with customs.....

Ive ordered one from geekbuying its with customs as we speak ordered 16th of last month. How much was the customs charge if you dont mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

your customs will be 23% of what you paid, + €7 for admission charge. that's if they ask for proof of payment.

Edit: Also, is 1gb enough on these boxes to run Xmbc/plex smoothly? Thinking about investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

RossieMan wrote: »
    your customs will be 23% of what you paid, + €7 for admission charge. that's if they ask for proof of payment.

Mine is with an post any idea how they look to collect the charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

You either pay the postman or if they don't fulfil the delivery collect it and pay at your (sub) post office. A couple of times I just found the "sorry we missed you" leaflet with no ring on the door - can't blame them in a way, aggravation they can do without!

Was going to pull the trigger on €48.81 but Paypal took it over €52 (ie. around 10%) in €-> $-> € conversion ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

styron wrote: »
    Was going to pull the trigger on €48.81 but Paypal took it over €52 (ie. around 10%) in €-> $-> € conversion ....

I avoid using Paypal whenever possible. They're the worst by far.
    Gearbest are safe anyway, so no need to use them. I've bought from them numerous times and never used paypal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is there any fix for the terrible WiFi on the M8 boxes?

On Vodafone fiber and standing next to box and running speedtest on my phone and box.

Phone is showing over 20mbps while box is only showing 2mbps.

Is there any fix for the terrible WiFi on the M8 boxes?

On Vodafone fiber and standing next to box and running speedtest on my phone and box.

Phone is showing over 20mbps while box is only showing 2mbps.

Try the ROM I linked earlier. I haven't tried it on WiFi but I will tomorrow to compare.

He has some sort of a fix in it for WiFi, wi get some info further afield and get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Try the ROM I linked earlier. I haven't tried it on WiFi but I will tomorrow to compare.

He has some sort of a fix in it for WiFi, wi get some info further afield and get back to you.

Highly Recommend trying the rom Dahat has linked, done it myself yesterday and the wifi performance is so much better. Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Was that the zipped one on Dropbox?

Do I just unzip it and put on SD card, then put in M8 and follow the process mentioned on here before?

Ok guys, quick update. I am going to do proper review later and fire it up. Anyway very impressed. Nice little box and sits nicely under TV.

So what comes in box, Box Itself, Remote HDMI cable, AV cables, OTG cable, Manual(useless) and I got separate plug for PDU as not UK plug
    Standard box so nothing to talk about there but neatly packed

Remote I have no idea if any good because still in wrapping, as usual I fired up my wireless mouse/keyboard

So turned box on and decent boot time. says Google TV on boot with logo which I found strange. Box has button on right hand cornor, red light when pplugged in but not on and blue when turned on. Handy

Initial screen asked for Launcher3 or Mediabox Launcher....the Minix people out there will know this. So I picked the Mediabox Launcher just to compare to Minix. Very very similar to be honest althou very colorful. Pics will follow.

So XBMC is preloaded. So fire it up and started off my standard build. No issues what so ever and I flew through it.

Hooked up to media player and checked playback. Was very impressed to say the least. I think it is actually out performing my Minix. I checked something from My Gensis which I used recently and quality was alot better. So I am very happy with it.

In terms of installing other app's. No real issues. It seemed to have some teething issues with non-google play apps but there is app installer included and once I put this on it had no issue. Think that was more my own fault.

Nice touch, on main screen(Minix copy if you like) it gives you the option to choose your city. Then you have a nice scrolling info on weather going across.

The firmware seems to be stable. There is no issues with google play etc. I am very impressed.....

Was that the zipped one on Dropbox?

Do I just unzip it and put on SD card, then put in M8 and follow the process mentioned on here before?

Yeah,toothpick method, the forum linked earlier has full instructions I'd imagine.

Cudders wrote: »
    Highly Recommend trying the rom Dahat has linked, done it myself yesterday and the wifi performance is so much better. Thanks again!

Just seen earlier that he has updated the firmware to correct Bluetooth issue, also there is a Wake me up Scottie apk to help it wake from deep sleep.

Coupon: MAXY will bring price to €61.99 for 2GB version.
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_109956.html

I would think that one of the most important things if buying a new box is h265 playback support as I have already seen some releases enencoded with it and it is impressive.

Also if you are using it as part of your normal tv setup then IR remote capabilities that can use a harmony remote to make it wife proof is very important too!

I don't see a suitable box yet so will have to wait for another while it seems to replace my atv2

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Big_Nelly/library/MXIII

Hey guys

Some photo's from the install last night.....just to give you an idea what it is like....

• Advertisement

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Big_Nelly/library/MXIII

Hey guys

Some photo's from the install last night.....just to give you an idea what it is like....

Thanks for the review, can you confirm that this box plays H265 encoded files?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement