Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

My lovely pink ribbon bows which my daughter made are currently being attached to clothing, bike, etc. They should be a nice muddy pinky colour when I get home.

See you all in the morning.

Apologies in advance, I have no mudguards fitted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'm just getting clearance from head office - if leaving at 10:15, what time do you think we'd realistically be back at Joe Daly's at afterwards? 1pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I am guessing @3.5hrs inc coffee but I might be wrong again:o

Just to check the route because I can't see the direction - we're heading out by Old Military Road and coming back via Kilternan?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    AltAccount wrote: »
    Just to check the route because I can't see the direction - we're heading out by Old Military Road and coming back via Kilternan?

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=619341

• Advertisement

Indeed... :)

I can't tell what direction that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Inquitus - just remembered the bridge closure/diversion on the R128. I'll leave Rush bit earlier as I'll have to head north via Loughshinny.

Hey Wishbone Ash,

I took an old steel banger round the Dying Light 200 today, didn't realise fully laden it was 20kg, after that and the drowning I got it is unlikely I will make it in the morning. If you don't see a boardsie at the roundabout, keep on going.

Inq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

You're doing it wrong. Try zooming in.

May or may not make it in the morning. Hopefully see some of you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Clockwise

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

No, the opposite direction. Clockwise when you look at the complete route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

daragh_ wrote: »
    My loaner has a pie plate. I apologise for my appearance in advance.

You should rip that pie plate off and fashion it into a rudimentary mudguard. You'll still be uncool, obviously, 'cos you'll now be one of us mudguard dorks, but you'll be a cleaner uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    I have to set up my loaner bike now, it has a bell and everything fitted to it.

Major overhaul.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    It is out the Enniskerry road right?

Monday 28th October
    Turns out the loaner bike's a no-go, so I'll definitely be doing it fixed.

How slow is this slow pace, and is the route flat-ish? No big climbs or descents or my knees will go kaput. And it probably wouldn't be the safest thing in a group either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is out the Enniskerry road right?

Correct.

I'm not getting directional arrows or km counters on the map, but if you zoom in on the start (green) and finish (red) markers in Dundrum, you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Forecast for tomorrow looking a little less nasty then earlier in the week. Looks like it will be very breezy a strong south westerly and maybe a few showers. Hopefully it will be somewhat dry. Looking forward to it and meeting some fellow boardsies. I'll be heading over from Swords with a few lads from my club to meet the guys in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

May not make the meeting time, but could possibly catch up to the group.

Also do the mods going along have IRL infraction capability? ..if they do Im f*cked :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    Also do the mods going along have IRL infraction capability? ..if they do Im f*cked :pac:
    Don't panic, I'm only bringing a GBR one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

How slow is this slow pace, and is the route flat-ish? No big climbs or descents or my knees will go kaput. And it probably wouldn't be the safest thing in a group either :pac:

Flat-ish? Not really. I'd struggle without a triple ring on the front!

Surely someone on here has a bike they can lend you after all your good work on the boards gear?

Anyone have an idea what the conditions will be like up here tomorrow? Should I swap out my gatorskins for city tires with threads?

Monday 28th October
    Flat-ish? Not really. I'd struggle without a triple ring on the front!

Surely someone on here has a bike they can lend you after all your good work on the boards gear?

Anyone have an idea what the conditions will be like up here tomorrow? Should I swap out my gatorskins for city tires with threads?

A triple? I wasn't aware we were climbing the Pyrenees?!

Ah it'll be grand, sure I'll just keep the legs pumping and sit in behind someone ;)

I'd probably drop the gatorskins looking at how wet the roads were this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This ride covers most of the route, the common bit being from just before Stepaside to the descent down Stocking Lane/Kilakee Rd, and should give a good idea of the gradients for the main climbing bits. Less than 1,000m of climbing on that ride, tomorrow's route will add very little to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No big climbs or descents or my knees will go kaput
    Have you brakes on the fixie? There are a few steep descents - down from The Featherbeds and further down at Montpellier Farm.

Monday 28th October
    Have you brakes on the fixie? There are a few steep descents - down from The Featherbeds and further down at Montpellier Farm.

No it's a track frame with no brake mounts.

I might see if I can persuade the old man to drive to work tomorrow and I'll take his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kilakee Road Descent (Mis-named Stocking Lane on Segment)

http://app.strava.com/segments/3489728

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I have misplaced the only spare 80mm tube I have. Not good, not good.

Monday 28th October
    Got a Carrera TDF anyways for tomorrow.

Only problem now is I can't find an 8mm allen key to get my Time ATACs onto it instead of the bog standard platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Best of luck, I hope ye have a great spin, watch out for the leaves! The fund is sure looking healthy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    Kilakee Road Descent (Mis-named Stocking Lane on Segment)

http://app.strava.com/segments/3489728

Will be attempting my superman pose for that bit, I only have two knees aand one is already ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

Monday 28th October
    Got a Carrera TDF anyways for tomorrow.

Only problem now is I can't find an 8mm allen key to get my Time ATACs onto it instead of the bog standard platforms.

Probably not much help at this late stage but I'll have the tool box in van tomorrowo but only catch is I'll be driving to dundrum for 10ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

All.

Everything will be fine. The bike you have will be fine. The hill/s will be fine. The downhill bits will be fine. Don't be stressing about pace, climbs, wearing pink/lime or any other such nonsense. It's a spin for our friend. Simple as that. See you in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement