Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Zyzz wrote: »
    I may or may not have left a trail of sh*te along the featherbeds and all the way down stocking lane..

:p

After narrowly escaping getting "deered" in the Pheno I seriously considered a downhill walk of shame from the featherbeds..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I may or may not have left a trail of sh*te along the featherbeds and all the way down stocking lane..

:p

After narrowly escaping getting "deered" in the Pheno I seriously considered a downhill walk of shame from the featherbeds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October

Ah wow ...Forgot about that. That was deadly.
    Made a change from Car up/Car down .
    Deer up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Monday 28th October
    bcmf wrote: »
    You are the only one I will let away with it.
    We have history on common with 'The Great Robbery' :pac:

Let it go dude, just ain't worth it. BUT we will never forget.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »
    Agreed. Next year it should be in DNS and NCD and I know exactly where to bring them ......errrrr....I wanna be part of the the route commitee

lol

pic40974.gif

roadrory-557x500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    Let it go dude, just ain't worth it. BUT we will never forget.:D
    Hee Hee. Ah I am well over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

My brake shoes are shagged I could not slow down @ a few points on stocking lane any recommendations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October

I forgot about them deer. A very close call!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Monday 28th October
    Definitely should be done as an annual thing, but let's not turn it into another Evil 200 or similarly difficult/intimidating. Keep it easy so we can get as many as possible to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Carpenter wrote: »
    My brake shoes are shagged I could not slow down @ a few points on stocking lane any recommendations

New bike I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Nice spin today and enjoyed putting faced to the boardsies named. An honour to meet Padraig and was great to see what a community like this can achieve. The turn out was a testimant to this. Cycling has indeed turned me into a masocist as I actually enjoyed the sideways rain and the howling wind going over the featherbeds, a good test of the bike handling skills ;-) Fair play to the lads too from Swords CC who spun over they were great company. Me and Bcmf were nearly home and dry and had indeed dried off a fair bit when we went through a forking massive puddle only a few hundred yards from the car. Ah Ffs!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    Definitely should be done as an annual thing, but let's not turn it into another Evil 200 or similarly difficult/intimidating. Keep it easy so we can get as many as possible to come along.

A 50km spin around DNS/NCD should be fine. Doesn't need to be more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Evil 200 on the WW200 weekend as always, this spin at this time to bring in the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

New bike I'd say!

No way its much better than my last 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

After narrowly escaping getting "deered" in the Pheno

I think one of the lads may have that on the GoPro. It looked close!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Where did you go to? I seemed to have lost you somewhere after the Featherbeds and caught up with the Swords group in Ballyboden.

We took a right near the bottom of stocking lane, thats prob where we lost you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm18 wrote: »
    We took a right near the bottom of stocking lane, thats prob where we lost you
    I slowed down for a while at the viewing point but went on again. I was hoping nothing had happened to you. I then decided to head straight on rather than make that right. Thanks. Great to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I slowed down for a while at the viewing point but went on again. I was hoping nothing had happened to you. I then decided to head straight on rather than make that right. Thanks. Great to meet you.

My fault. Was very slow coming down and the lads held back to wait for me. Tyres on my borrowed bike weren't great and I was taking it very handy.

More work on our Echelon needed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

It was an emotional day - great to meet some boardsies in the real world and especially to shake hands with Padraig. I had to bail out at Enniskerry and head home as I was on a time limit, so I missed most of the fun and games in the wind. Glad to have been part of it and would love to see it become an annual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

It was such a great route. the wind across the featherbeds was tricky to say the least. ended up with a lad from swords cc and a few boardies. didn't get any names but enjoyed the cycle and more importantly raised funds for LPB and raised awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

godtabh wrote: »
    Sorry when you have half DNS chasing you across the city its hard to slow down!

What mechanical did you have?

It wasn't me...funkyjebus jammed the chain inside the spokes and cassette about a click away from the coffee stop, so a good excuse to stop and help...

and take a breather!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Added another 8 photos from my sister. Two seem to feature a long forgotten activity for the modern Garmin equipped road warrior - map reading.:D

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My morning started with my daughter waking me up at 07h20, which is typical enough, but when my eyes checked the clock and conveyed to my brain that it was actually 06h20 I may have let out an involuntary wail. Kids are no respecters of the hour change. Good for her though she went back to her room and only bounced enthusiastically back in at about 07h15. Then as I was eating my porridge one of my cats decided to practically turn himself inside out all over the kitchen floor and, wouldn't you know it, it looked a lot like porridge, reducing the appeal of my breakfast by quite a bit.

I was running a bit late getting to Dundrum, and in my enthusiasm to get there I didn't bother braking on some of the speed bumps down Sweetmount Avenue (Dundrum) and ended up in the air as I cleared one of them. Something on my bike let out a very odd and very plaintive squeal when I connected with the ground again. Not sure what that was but thankfully it didn't cause any problems for the day, the bike might need counselling though to learn to forgive me.

Had a good chat with manwithaplan during the ride and with Keep_Her_Lit at the coffee stop (good to meet you both). Rode back down with manwithadeadline and another boardsie joined us that I didn't get to chat to. So despite being surrounded by boardsie's on the day I only managed to chat with about 4 of them in total, must work on my social skills. About 1km from home my clock was reading about 46km done so I threw on my rain jacket and went round again, a smaller loop this time as I took the first right in Enniskerry to head back up to Glencree. First time down it the crosswinds on Featherbeds were strong but manageable, second time round they were stronger again and I got blown almost completely to the other side of the road at one point. Despite getting rained on heavily at times though I missed the hail that some people have mentioned so I got off relatively lightly.

A great day all in all. I spoke briefly with le petit braquet at the coffee stop but I have to repeat here how incredibly strong and courageous I consider you to be - despite having a lot to contend with you have taken the time to raise awareness of something that doesn't get much mention all too often, and to raise funding for a vital service that can get forgotten about too. And to take the time to come out today and be there both at the start and at the coffee stop deserves huge respect too. You thanked me for being on today's ride, but all I did was ride my bike today whereas you have sparked a level of awareness and discussion that seems likely to last a long time and that could potentially save lives in the process - thank *you*!

Thanks too to bcmf for suggesting the ride, and to daragh_ for the route and for working so hard to keep everyone together during the ride. And thanks to everyone else who played a part in organising today and helping make it what it was.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Added another 8 photos from my sister. Two seem to feature a long forgotten activity for the modern Garmin equipped road warrior - map reading.

Link
    I hereby claim that that was the moment we worked out where we were ...

It was simply a left, then right, then right, then right, then right to get us back to the exact same point to the cafe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    Beasty wrote: »
    I hereby claim that that was the moment we worked out where we were ...

It was simply a left, then right, then right, then right, then right to get us back to the exact same point to the cafe

I'm glad the art of map reading is not lost and Audax is still perforating cycling wether people like it or not. Sorry I had to run after the detour but my wife and daughter were waiting. On the plus side I rushed home so fast i was on time rather than the hour late I thought i was. LPB, your sister and brother in law were great, your sister in particular beasting up the long hill on the heaviest bike I have seen in awhile.
    To Beasty, sorry for the shortest route back, it probably wasn't the safest.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

CramCycle wrote: »
    LPB, your sister and brother in law were great, your sister in particular beasting up the long hill on the heaviest bike I have seen in awhile.

She's not as fit as she could be, but she sure tries. This after all is the same woman who undertook solo cycling tours in Mongolia and in Zambia and Zimbabwe when she was a lot younger and such feats were a lot less common. I'm very proud of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Got to café early and didn't have the patience to wait for a general roll out.

Just read this again and realised it might be misinterpreted. It's a reference to how long the pit stop was, mainly due to the completely overwhelmed staff, rather than any slowness of fellow riders.

Those deer were mental too. The first one ran just ahead of my front wheel. I thought it was a large dog at first, which was no less alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Meant to say yesterday.

The Cafe apologised for the long wait. They had organised extra staff to be there when we arrived but they didn't show. Also there was an unexpected coach party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It was mostly due to my fry. Sorry.

I don't understand why nobody else was getting a breakfast fry-up. I'm sure Sean Kelly would have and the ballast was very useful on the featherbeds!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Those deer were mental too.
    Hang on a minute - who was invading who's habitat?:D

I was at the back so got a great view of the consternation as one ran across in front of everyone and as they were wondering WTF? another darted between riders. The 3rd one was certainly not mental, as it saw what it may be letting itself in for and ground to a rapid halt and returned from whence it came

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement