Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

g0g wrote: »
    WP_20131027_014.jpg
    Beautiful shot g0g, captures the spirit of the event perfectly.

Arrived at Dundrum well in time and was impressed by the size of the crowd already assembled. le petit braquet was in attendance too ... it was a privilege to meet you, sir, and to shake your hand.

Mine was one of a number of bikes that got blown over while waiting to set off. Rear derailleur took a knock and shifting was then a bit jittery for the remainder of the spin. I went backwards at one point due to a particularly crunchy downshift ... apologies to the Swords boardsie behind who was on the ball and managed to take evasive action.

Ta to CramCycle for the Jelly Babies! Bumped into daragh_ at the start and chatted with DirkVoodoo as we headed towards Enniskerry. Heard all about buffalo's plans to dominate A1 next year (;)). Enjoyed a nice scone and coffee at the Armoury with manwithaplan and doozerie, over which many words of wisdom were uttered concerning urban cycling, the delights of orthopaedic implants and, of course, the amazing way in which le petit braquet has responded to the cruel hand dealt to him.

After some more fiddling with the rear derailleur, set off back over the featherbeds with the Taxman. The crosswind up there was something else and chunks of the conversation were lost in the small gap separating us. I put my rainjacket on for the first time when I got back into Tallaght, so the weather really wasn't too bad overall.

A great event and thanks to all who helped to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Monday 28th October
    Fantastic turnout, particularly givem the weather, and I was hugely touched by it. My Oakleys concealed the tears in my eyes.

Padraig, it was fantastic to see you there, delighted to meet you. I can't imagine how hard it was to make it given your illness. You're very humble, you mentioned a couple times that you did nothing, it was everyone else that got this going etc. I'm not having that. Today was all down to you, the generosity of others was started by you, the braveness to speak about your illness and give genuinely life saving advice, your family must be so proud.

I won't forget anyway. Thanks Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I am proud to say I spent the day with 2 gentlemen from the north side :D Edit 1 even said the south side was very nice but I am to much of a gent to mention his name .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    Carpenter wrote: »
    I am proud to say I spent the day with 2 gentlemen from the north side :D

Believe it or not lads we don't actually bite.

And were they northsiders or the NCD gang under their guise of northsiders :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Monday 28th October
    I also stayed a bit long in the cafe and had to head back to DNS direct rather than going over the Featherbeds. Got home for 1500 on the button. I didn't get any hail but the wind/rail from Glen of the Downs to Clontarf was a bit of challenge. Fair play to all, especially LPB, for turning up on a tough day.

I claim first spot of Wishbone Ash today (McAllistairs garage in Malahide. btw did any one else notice a bit of pink/green split in the cafe or was it just my hangover playing tricks on me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Those green ****ers knew better than to step over to our side

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Believe it or not lads we don't actually bite.

And were they northsiders or the NCD gang under their guise of northsiders :p

True. They did need a south sider to guide to Dundrum though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Well that was nice! 109km door to door, with a puncture on the home straight and just a few small drenchings :)
    It was nice to meet you all for what was a lovely little route.

DNS & NCD meetup at the NCR
    277851.jpg

Dundrum
    277852.jpg

@LPB - Nice jacket!
    @Caroline_ie - Thanks for the French lesson :)
    @Beasty - next time you're choosing which Garmin to put on which bike...take the one that gives directions. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    btw did any one else notice a bit of pink/green split in the cafe or was it just my hangover playing tricks on me?

That was just Dermot Illogical in a green jersey and pink shorts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Carpenter wrote: »
    I am proud to say I spent the day with 2 gentlemen from the north side :D Edit 1 even said the south side was very nice but I am to much of a gent to mention his name .

I spent the day with two delightful Southsiders. One of these thinks Cruagh is on the Southside and Clondalkin is on DNS.. : ))

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@Beasty - next time you're choosing which Garmin to put on which bike...take the one that gives directions. :P
    Lent one to Staro and have "sold" the other to Lusk_Doyle

Got home around half an hour ago. Longest on the bike for me in over 4 years - 127km or so over 6 hours and some extra climbing thrown in (1,600m or so in total). Then the rear shifter packed up, fortunately with only 10km or so to go on my newly configured "Double speed". Door to door around 9.5 hours and now well and truely knackered.

Delighted to see LPB getting out to the start and the cafe - sorry we held you up a bit but daragh_ told us to keep going, so we did, and then Cram sent us down some pretty dodgy descents (I would guess to give us a bit more climbing practice on the other side!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    godtabh wrote: »
    True. They did need a south sider to guide to Dundrum though

Ah that was you....Nice one. we were just about to head out that way. Honestly!!!!!!

Great to see LPB there. Puts it all into perspective. Proud to be a Boardsie today.

as for the spin.....It was nice and somewhat enjoyable.
    After the coffee myself and some of the Swords crew headed off over the Featherbeds which was the most challenging few mins on a bike.Pelting freezing rain combined with a gale force sidewind made staying upright a challenge.
    Then the descent down Stocking Lane. Usually very confident going downards but today I just sat on the brakes and took it handy thru the mini rivers.

Freezing at the bottom but a nice commute across the city meant I got to warm up again.
    90km or so for me.

2 Thanks due.
    detones: Thanks for the lifts and sorry for ruining your passenger seat on the way home.

The Tax Man: Good to talk to you again.And thanks for waiting up and guiding me those who hadnt a clue where they were to the coffee stop.

Rumours of the southsiders bringing their hack bikes out when they heard the Northsiders were coming are ,as yet, unfounded.

Monday 28th October
    Beasty wrote: »
    Lent one to Staro and have "sold" the other to Lusk_Doyle

Got home around half an hour ago. Longest on the bike for me in over 4 years - 127km or so over 6 hours and some extra climbing thrown in (1,600m or so in total). I have to buy a new bike now. Door to door around 9.5 hours and now well and truely knackered.

Delighted to see LPB getting out to the start and the cafe - sorry we held you up a bit but daragh_ told us to keep going, so we did, and then Cram sent us down some pretty dodgy descents (I would guess to give us a bit more climbing practice on the other side!)
    You do know what happened the last time anyone lent anything to Staro?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Great to see so many boardsies and LPB himself. It was an honour to meet you.
    I am sorry I had to point out to a few of you guys that the green boards kit should probably not be worn in France. Here's why.
    We got hailed on and soaked on the way back to Clonee: perfect excuse to get back in my jimjams and veg for the rest of the day.
    Great 1st day of proper winter social spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lovely spin in conditions than were a lot better than I expected. Spent more time stopped and nattering than I did moving which suited me fine. Nice to meet doozerie, keep her lit and others. Got to café early and didn't have the patience to wait for a general roll out so headed home down Stocking Lane to just beat the wife home and thus avoid grief.

I'm in the daragh "everything will be grand" camp. Right again.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

These were taken by my good wife, who despite her many talents, will freely admit herself that photography is not one of them.

Link

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

What a turnout today-a true testament to Padraig and a reflection of the true gentleman that he is.

Chapeau! to all involved.

Got to ride to Glenamuck with godtabh-he had the bit between his teeth and had to be hauled in a few times:D It was obviously the good warm up he had cycling from DNS as fast as he could!

Rode most of the rest beside and in the ditch (mechanical!) with funkyjebus..Pleasure to have made your acquaintance!

Heartwarming to see the community club together in support of Padraig and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

shutup wrote: »
    anyone lose eye wear?
    I found glasses on stocking lane

They are my friends! Will drop you a Pm. Thanks for picking then up!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That was a turnout great lads. Nice to put a few faces to usernames. Didn't make it to Infirmary Road due to a diversion and headwinds but encountered Need More Gears outside Malahide, and AltAccount at the canal.

My Garmin reset itself so I lost about 40kms! :( and ended up with just 101kms)

anyone lose eye wear?
    I found glasses on stocking lane
    I nearly ran over them - spotted them just in time but, unlike you, I didn't stop to pick them up. :o
    Me, you, Darragh and Wishbone got caught bad there on the feather beds. We stayed in the cafe too long.
    Probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a bike.
    Where did you go to? I seemed to have lost you somewhere after the Featherbeds and caught up with the Swords group in Ballyboden.
    I claim first spot of Wishbone Ash today (McAllistairs garage in Malahide
    The day is young yet!

Monday 28th October
    @Wishbone Ash
    Was that you that had 'tagged' onto the back of our group across the city.
    Were you in the Pink Boards Jersey and shorts and kept shooting off in seearch of KoM's with the tailwind.
    We were a small group of Swords-ies
    I was in a Pink Boards jacket and white gilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bcmf wrote: »
    @Wishbone Ash
    Was that you that had 'tagged' onto the back of our group across the city.
    Were you in the Pink Boards Jersey and shorts and kept shooting off in seearch of KoM's with the tailwind.
    We were a small group of Swords-ies
    I was in a Pink Boards jacket and white gilet.
    Apologies - yes that was me. :o The pace was too slow for me especially with the tailwind and I wanted to stretch my legs but didn't want to be rude either. I normally ride solo so my group manners need attention. Nice to meet you all.

Monday 28th October
    Ah no worries.
    It was the others that were keeping it slow.
    Good to 'sort of ' meet ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    ckeego wrote: »
    What a turnout today-a true testament to Padraig and a reflection of the true gentleman that he is.

Chapeau! to all involved.

Got to ride to Glenamuck with godtabh-he had the bit between his teeth and had to be hauled in a few times:D It was obviously the good warm up he had cycling from DNS as fast as he could!

Rode most of the rest beside and in the ditch (mechanical!) with funkyjebus..Pleasure to have made your acquaintance!

Heartwarming to see the community club together in support of Padraig and his family.

Sorry when you have half DNS chasing you across the city its hard to slow down!

What mechanical did you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Monday 28th October
    Great to see such a big turn out today. It was a pleasure to meet and have a brief chat with Padraig before we set off.

Great to see most of the faces from the old Boards spins meeting under the bridge once again.Enjoyable spin despite the wind and very glad to have the mudguards today. Surprised bcmf let me ride alongside him out towards Enniskerry with them on the bike. :p Good chat on the way out.

Apparently the queue in the cafe was down to quozl ordering a full breakfast.:D (only joking)

The stint over the feather beds with Keep Her Lit was certainly a test of balance with those crosswinds. Luckily I only had to freewheel down to my door, so fair play to those that had to battle across the city in such conditions.

I think bcmf hit the nail on the head on how I felt today, very proud to be part of this community we have on Boards.

Monday 28th October
    Lads this should be a yearly thing. An end of season get-together and continue the support of these worthy causes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Great to see such a big turn out today. It was a pleasure to meet and have a brief chat with Padraig before we set off.

Great to see most of the faces from the old Boards spins meeting under the bridge once again.Enjoyable spin despite the wind and very glad to have the mudguards today. Surprised bcmf let me ride alongside him out towards Enniskerry with them on the bike. :p Good chat on the way out.

Apparently the queue in the cafe was down to quozl ordering a full breakfast.:D (only joking)

The stint over the feather beds with Keep Her Lit was certainly a test of balance with those crosswinds. Luckily I only had to freewheel down to my door, so fair play to those that had to battle across the city in such conditions.

I think bcmf hit the nail on the head on how I felt today, very proud to be part of this community we have on Boards.

I thought it would be a good idea to ride my Supras which are 58mm.. :pac:

Monday 28th October
    Surprised bcmf let me ride alongside him out towards Enniskerry with them on the bike. :p Good chat on the way out.

You are the only one I will let away with it.
    We have history on common with 'The Great Robbery' :pac:
    godtabh wrote: »
    Lads this should be a yearly thing. An end of season get-together and continue the support of these worthy causes
    Agreed. Next year it should be in DNS and NCD and I know exactly where to bring them ......errrrr....I wanna be part of the the route commitee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Monday 28th October
    Zyzz wrote: »
    I thought it would be a good idea to ride my Supras which are 58mm.. :pac:

I'd say you had a few butt clenching moments on those wheels.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'd say you had a few butt clenching moments on those wheels.:eek:

I may or may not have left a trail of sh*te along the featherbeds and all the way down stocking lane..

:p

• Advertisement

Monday 28th October
    Zyzz wrote: »
    I may or may not have left a trail of sh*te along the featherbeds and all the way down stocking lane..

:p

So it was you who made the descent extra slippy. Thanks a bunch....:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement