Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

Is this still working for anyone? I just tried it and got the usual "can't be shipped to your address" message!

Attempted to order as well, first time it went through but got a cancellation email a few minutes later. On the second attempt it wouldn't even let me complete the order "can't ship......."

Is this still working for anyone? I just tried it and got the usual "can't be shipped to your address" message!

Attempted to order as well, first time it went through but got a cancellation email a few minutes later. On the second attempt it wouldn't even let me complete the order "can't ship......."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Trying to order it and its says not able to ship to this address!
    Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Worked for me to my Cork address an hour ago

Worked for me to my Cork address an hour ago

No joy just attempted to order there again. Can I confirm did you purchase from Amazon or another internal seller within Amazon.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

dunleas wrote: »
    No joy just attempted to order there again. Can I confirm did you purchase from Amazon or another internal seller within Amazon.com?

In the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Also the same here. Really wish I'd made my mind up earlier and just ordered it!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Am i missing something? Only one i can find is 60 pounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

pajero12 wrote: »
    Am i missing something? Only one i can find is 60 pounds?

On Amazon. Com? Is see it still there.

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    On Amazon. Com? Is see it still there.

Sorry I was on the UK site, "Cannot be Shipped to your address" showing now

Sorry I was on the UK site, "Cannot be Shipped to your address" showing now

Is the seller amazon? Busy so can't check myself but maybe they're sold out and your trying to buy from another seller?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Is the seller amazon? Busy so can't check myself but maybe they're sold out and your trying to buy from another seller?

Yep, It is, Still 232 in stock :confused:

Yep, It is, Still 232 in stock :confused:

Your guess is as good as mine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I purchased two this morning, got confirmation email etc. Just tried to see if I could order more from reading the above comments and it's not shipping to Ireland or the UK (Parcel Motel) anymore. Not sure if it was a mistake or bug that let us order earlier that's now fixed or they are low on stock as they shipped to everywhere. Looking at Android forums people all over Germany, France, Spain, U.K. and as far as Australia confirmed buying them earlier so it could be a low stock issue. Really hope they still ship the ones I ordered earlier and they restart selling them internationally again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Crap. I hope mine comes. I ordered today and got a confirmation email and nothing else afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Been waiting on getting my hands on one of these and missed out again :( Its the same for me, "not shipping to your address". A friend was able to pick one up earlier though. Maybe a mistake by Amazon? Hopefully it starts working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Have one of these coming my way from the US this weekend, is it only YouTube, Netflix and Chrome to the TV from the N4 or 7?

Anyway of putting Xbmc on it?

Does it sideload like Android or will I have to get the sleeves up and Linux installed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Maybe I'm missing something but would one of those android sticks (like the 4ife one I was looking at in DID for ~€90 at the weekend and there are lots of cheaper ones on Amazon) not be better? This Chromecase is half the price BUT it only runs a handful of apps with little chance they will include RTE player or 3 player of Sky Go etc anytime soon. Also it's really only streaming what you are doing on your phone so you need to be there to control the app. If your kids are watching something on Netflix and you want to go to the shops either you have to leave your phone behind or they have to stop watching the film. Plus Google have not got the best track record on just dropping something and walking away from developing it when they get bored with it (e.g. Google Reader). I was initially excited about the chromecast when it was first announced but now that I know this sort of thing is out there I've realised other sticks are out there and seem to be better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just got a mail saying it has shipped. Success!!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just got a mail saying it has shipped. Success!!
    Same here.

Borat_Great_Success.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

touts wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but would one of those android sticks (like the 4ife one I was looking at in DID for ~€90 at the weekend and there are lots of cheaper ones on Amazon) not be better? This Chromecase is half the price BUT it only runs a handful of apps with little chance they will include RTE player or 3 player of Sky Go etc anytime soon. Also it's really only streaming what you are doing on your phone so you need to be there to control the app. If your kids are watching something on Netflix and you want to go to the shops either you have to leave your phone behind or they have to stop watching the film. Plus Google have not got the best track record on just dropping something and walking away from developing it when they get bored with it (e.g. Google Reader). I was initially excited about the chromecast when it was first announced but now that I know this sort of thing is out there I've realised other sticks are out there and seem to be better options.

It streams from the cloud, not your device, it will continue playing when you leave. This is the first successful attempt Google have had at this following the disaster that was the Nexus Q, I doubt they're gonna drop support for something that's gaining traction and has money making potential. You can get an Android stick and have access to more apps etc but in my opinion they're fiddly and not all that great, I'f rather get a raspberry pi if I was going down that route, for a simple no hassle content streaming device the Chromecast ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Crap, I'd been hoping for one of these but certainly not paying 60 pounds plus.

EDIT: just for the sake of it, I tried to order from .co.uk and I ALSO got the delivery error message......weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

touts wrote: »
    That's not exactly how they work. The phone or tablet is only used to send a link to the content to stream. The chromecast receives the link and starts streaming the content. This means you can continue to use your phone for other tasks, turn it off or take it to the shops with you and the content keeps streaming. This saves your battery life too as your phone isn't doing any work.

Loads of developers have apps ready to release but can't yet. This article explains well why their are so few apps and how Google is delaying things. http://readwrite.com/2013/10/08/chromecast-apps-google-holdup#awesm=~ojL2FJiqBKXLgH
    noodler wrote: »

EDIT: just for the sake of it, I tried to order from .co.uk and I ALSO got the delivery error message......weird.

It's Amazon.com that are selling them to Ireland and other countries cheap not .co.uk. You'd get two for 60 pounds on amazon.com

noodler wrote: »

When I was ordering mine, I couldn't get it sent to a UK address at all but I could send it to my Irish address.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your message I thought you were ordering from .com , strange as the Chromecast listed on .co.uk is only available from a third party seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When I was ordering mine, I couldn't get it sent to a UK address at all but I could send it to my Irish address.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your message I thought you were ordering from .com , strange as the Chromecast listed on .co.uk is only available from a third party seller.

Ah yes, third party seller - thats what it is.

Ah well, wasn't buying at that price regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks. That explains things a little better. I still think the link to the phone is a bit of a constraint. It probably has advantages on the interface/control side but it still needs a phone. Plus I'd be worried about the amount of control Google are keeping over what apps work on it and the slow speed in adding apps. I think I'll go with a standalone android stick (possibly the 4ife one) this christmas and maybe get a chromecast next christmas. Long term I think I'll be getting a stick for both TVs anyway so one of each might be a good fit....

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

When i try and order i get this.
    it says Ireland in address

confused.png
    Important Message

Google Chrome cast HDMI Streaming Media Player cannot be shipped to the selected address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Ordered yesterday, got shipping confirmation this morning....

New order not possible today...

• Advertisement

DERICKOO wrote: »

When i try and order i get this.
    it says Ireland in address

confused.png
    Important Message

Google Chrome cast HDMI Streaming Media Player cannot be shipped to the selected address.

They are no longer shipping it outside of the US for some reason, either it was a mistake by Amazon or there was too much demand, it looks like people from all over Europe have been ordering them, so not sure if that's the issue, it looks like they have honored anyone who did manage to get an order in though.

Advertisement