Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Same as above, but with the Horizon box. Should work, just want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Will work perfectly if you're trying to access Irish content and non-geo blocked stuff.

US netflix/Hulu etc you'll need to do extra configuration on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Will work perfectly if you're trying to access Irish content and non-geo blocked stuff.

I would be interested in accessing US Netflix if possible, Hulu as well! Anyone got this wiring with UPC Cisco modem/router and a Chromecast!?

Thanks guys,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I don't suppose you know if the extra steps will work on a UPC Technicolor TC7200 router?

I have the router menu up - I don't suppose its any of these options?

floggg wrote: »
    I don't suppose you know if the extra steps will work on a UPC Technicolor TC7200 router?

I have the router menu up - I don't suppose its any of these options?

DNS Server 1
    and
    DNS Server 2

would be where the IP address's you get from the Smart DNS crowd go.

Whats under "Advanced"? Anything about "Static Routes"?

• Advertisement

DNS Server 1
    and
    DNS Server 2

would be where the IP address's you get from the Smart DNS crowd go.

Whats under "Advanced"? Anything about "Static Routes"?

I put one of the IPs from OverPlay in to DNS Server 1 (but not into the second) but chromecast still wouldn't play Canadian Netflix for me this morning.

Will try this evening to see if adding them both in makes a difference, as well as posting the advanced setting.

I put one of the IPs from OverPlay in to DNS Server 1 (but not into the second) but chromecast still wouldn't play Canadian Netflix for me this morning.

Will try this evening to see if adding them both in makes a difference, as well as posting the advanced setting.

You'd need to put in both, won't do any harm.

Also, Chromecast requires additional configuration as opposed to every other device.

You'll need access to "Static Routers" option on the router or some kind of command input. Let us know and we'll see if we can help!

You'd need to put in both, won't do any harm.

Also, Chromecast requires additional configuration as opposed to every other device.

You'll need access to "Static Routers" option on the router or some kind of command input. Let us know and we'll see if we can help!

Actually per the manual this is the advanced tab.

Nothing about static routers etc - don't know if any of these are equivalent.

Manual is here - http://www.upc.ro/pdf/Technicolor_tc7200_user_manual.pdf

Thanks.

Hmmm doesn't look promising.

You're best option might be to just buy a cheap-ish router for 30-35 euro and flas DD-WRT firmware on it and that should do the trick! :-/

Provider's routers like UPC and eircom and sky don't leave much open to manipulation unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 txema

I have TC7200 and i could not make the thing to work; it doesn't have the option so set static routes or block IPs frown.png

At the end I had to add another router I had lying around to the network and use this one for the Chromecast.

• Advertisement

Hmmm doesn't look promising.

You're best option might be to just buy a cheap-ish router for 30-35 euro and flas DD-WRT firmware on it and that should do the trick! :-/

Provider's routers like UPC and eircom and sky don't leave much open to manipulation unfortunately.

Would something like this do the job?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1418828/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless%2Bnetworking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CModem%2Brouters%7C14419018.htm

I assume i would plug that in instead of the upc option - rather than running two. Would there be any loss of speed/signal (though its a small apartment so range isnt really an issue).

I take it you cant flash DD-WRT onto the Technicolor UPC modem?

There is a spare vodafone modem at home in my parents house - is that likely to be any different.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I take it you cant flash DD-WRT onto the Technicolor UPC modem?

Only if it's on this list.

Sorry for all the questions.

Would I be right in saying that I need a router only (as opposed to a router - modem) like this TP Link TL-WR841N - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1227291/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless%2Bnetworking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CCable%2Brouters%7C14419022.htm

It appears to be on the DD-WRT list (or a variant of it).

And also, that this on its own can't replace the UPC Technicolor box, and that I will need to plug this into the Technicolor box somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So the Chromecast doesn't work well, if at all, with the UPC Technicolor router ?

Sorry for all the questions.

Would I be right in saying that I need a router only (as opposed to a router - modem) like this TP Link TL-WR841N - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1227291/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless%2Bnetworking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CCable%2Brouters%7C14419022.htm

It appears to be on the DD-WRT list (or a variant of it).

And also, that this on its own can't replace the UPC Technicolor box, and that I will need to plug this into the Technicolor box somehow?

Ignore the term Modem. It's an old terminology and not really relevant today. However, some still use it to mean xDSL routers as you put a [RJ11] phone line in it.

What you want for UPC is a Cable [RJ45] Router. the router in your link will be fine for UPC.

Yes, this would plug into an ethernet port on your UPC box and sit on top of it, thats what I do with my eircom one. :)

If its DD-WRT capable, you're sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

RangeR wrote: »
    Ignore the term Modem. It's an old terminology and not really relevant today. However, some still use it to mean xDSL routers as you put a [RJ11] phone line in it.

What you want for UPC is a Cable [RJ45] Router. the router in your link will be fine for UPC.

I was using this for a couple of days with the Cisco 3925, my devices were saying it was only a 12mbps link. Could I have been doing something wrong or is it just that the router is not capable or anything more?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So the Chromecast doesn't work well, if at all, with the UPC Technicolor router ?

It works fine out of the box (at least for me).

I'm trying to set up a smart dns service though so i can get access to netflix in different regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It works fine out of the box (at least for me).

I'm trying to set up a smart dns service though so i can get access to netflix in different regions.

yeah same here I can get iplayer from pc to chromecast via hola plug in but Netflix falls over

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    I was using this for a couple of days with the Cisco 3925, my devices were saying it was only a 12mbps link. Could I have been doing something wrong or is it just that the router is not capable or anything more?

Wired or Wireless. 12Mbps link seems awfully low value for a link between local devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I have a Netgear DGP834G v3 connected to my UPC cisco router as a access point, I inputted the iptable commands into it via telnet:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 54.247.108.9
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 176.58.107.53

Netflix isn't working in other regions just my own when i connect chromecast to the Netgear, any ideas?

Did you factory restore the Chromecast and select USA as your country after adding the above settings?

Hold button on Chromecast for 30 seconds and it should flash red.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Ah ok I didn't know there was a button, I did a factory reset but just from the interface on my phone, Ill try the button.

Did you factory restore the Chromecast and select USA as your country after adding the above settings?

Hold button on Chromecast for 30 seconds and it should flash red.

Do you have to do this every time you change regions for netflix via overplay etc? I switch regularly between Irish, US, Canadian and even Brazilian and Scandinavian netflix depending on what I want to watch - it wouldn't really be too practical to have to factory restore and set-up every time i want to switch regions!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 txema

I have mine set to Ireland and I can see Netflix US, I don't think a factory reset is necessary, unless is for any other reason

I saw it posted that you should factory reset it once but I suppose it doesn't really matter! Worth a try anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Just waiting for these to arrive in Currys at some point. Have a One4All gift card I need to use ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Would it possible for the chromecast to be able to stream from subscription sites other than Netflix, ie hulu, liveonlinefooty etc? Would put me off buying it, if not. Cheers

Works with Hulu. The livefooty should work through the "cast a tab" feature

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Found live sport pretty unwatchable with the cast tab option. Any live TV using that method in fact. Just slightly too jumpy to watch. Like watching through a Zoetrope. My broadband is crap though so decent speeds might yield better results.

I think the chromecast is terrific streaming the usual film sites that can't be discussed here, via avia or allcast though.

Advertisement