Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Its on Amazon uk now about €37.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I4WQ618

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Carrollman wrote: »
    This may have been answered already but just wondering is it worth getting the chromecast if I already have a smart tv(sony)?

If the TV has Miracast and allows screen mirroring, then probably no point in buying this.
    Or if you have an Xbox or another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Woohoo! Just ordered. Using Allcast and Show Box with this should be really straight forward for non-techies to use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Its on Amazon uk now about €37.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I4WQ618

Cheers!

Ordered 1 there, €37.15 before PM fees :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Cheers!

Ordered 1 there, €37.15 before PM fees :)

Free postage to ireland you don't need to use PM.

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Free postage to ireland you don't need to use PM.

Oh I used PM for other reasons.
    It's easier for me to pick up a package from there than to have to go to the courier depot after a missed delivery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

anyone have a link for a list of apps that work in Ireland with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭corkie

ronano wrote: »
    anyone have a link for a list of apps that work in Ireland with it?

Here is list of current available apps for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Waiting on the WWE app for iOS and Mac! :)

They recently released the SDK for it so apps should start flooding in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Thanks for this, used this and ordered from Amazon. Total came to €31.88 with free shipping. Great price and glad I waited till it came closer to the US price. Best price I found before this was around €45 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

This may be a stupid question but will Chromecast allow me to see on my tv exactly what is on my laptop?

i.e. Negate the need for a HDMI cable. Which would be handy for watching movies, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This may be a stupid question but will Chromecast allow me to see on my tv exactly what is on my laptop?

i.e. Negate the need for a HDMI cable. Which would be handy for watching movies, etc

Only one Google Chrome tab. I've heard both positives and negatives about this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I have xbmc on my desltop. I CANNOT cast a film from my desktop to my tv that is Chromrcast enables.

I can cast YOUTUBE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

You can cast stuff like showbox etc using Avia media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

You can cast stuff like showbox etc using Avia media player.

From a laptop??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

From a laptop??

Well I've only tried it from a phone and tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Chromecast currently available on Groupon for €39.99 if anyone wishes to buy it locally as opposed to the UK / US.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-photo-direct-15/36094536

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Well I've only tried it from a phone and tablet.

I know, but the question was about casting from laptop.

I think there is "Play to" option in WMP, not sure if it works to Chromecast, but that's not mirroring, as in Miracast!!!

There is also DLNA from Plex or some other Media Server on the Laptop.

I think Windows 8 supports Miracast, but does Chromecast??

If your TV is a Smart TV, like LG, it will support Miracast.....but I have found this very patchy and not good.

There is also Bluestacks, which allows Mobile apps to be installed and run from a PC or Laptop.....

http://www.bluestacks.com/

Has anyone who owns one tested if the chromecast will pick up and function on a mobile hotspot?

Just curious on this.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys, the OH picked me up one of these in the states the other day (she knows me well).

I'm mostly using it to stream local content. So I am using all cast / avia / localcast to send content from my NAS (western digital mybooklive) to my TV.

The problem I am having is that sometimes it won't cast, and sometimes it'll cast sound but no picture. I can't work out why it works for some files and not for others.

There are a mix of mp4, avi, and mkv videos in my collection. No mkv work, but only some avi and mp4 work.

Can anyone suggest a solution to either problem (not casting at all, or just casting sound without picture).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just ordered one from Groupon.

Quick query, though:

My home wifi is an O2 Hotshot hub. The speed is fine, but there is a 15gb monthly limit.

To get around this, my plan was to use my HTC One for streaming Netflix, as it's unlimited.

Will the chromecast work directly from the HTC? Or will the phone have to act as a hotspot, which is against my contract with Three? Or do I have to connect the phone to the O2 hub and then stream? If that's the case, it'll eat into my O2 allowance and I'm back to square one. Or will it just use the O2 hub as a means of for transfer, but use my mobile data for streaming?

I think if I have to connect the phone to the wifi, that'll automatically override my mobile data connection.

Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Quick query, though:

My home wifi is an O2 Hotshot hub. The speed is fine, but there is a 15gb monthly limit.

To get around this, my plan was to use my HTC One for streaming Netflix, as it's unlimited.

Will the chromecast work directly from the HTC? Or will the phone have to act as a hotspot, which is against my contract with Three? Or do I have to connect the phone to the O2 hub and then stream? If that's the case, it'll eat into my O2 allowance and I'm back to square one. Or will it just use the O2 hub as a means of for transfer, but use my mobile data for streaming?

I think if I have to connect the phone to the wifi, that'll automatically override my mobile data connection.

Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks in advance for your help.

The Chromecast connects directly to whatever Wi-Fi connection you set it up on and it streams directly from the network, nothing goes through your mobile device. So you will need to either connect it to your o2 hub or to your mobile devices hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

any one know if chromecast available through any retail outlets in ireland or do I have to get through amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

121212 wrote: »
    any one know if chromecast available through any retail outlets in ireland or do I have to get through amazon?

It's not officially available to Ireland so I doubt any retailers will be stocking them. Unless of course Currys are able to sell it to Ireland somehow. Your best option is probably Amazon.

I've got Apple tv unit, Chromecast and a GBox.

I seldome use the Chromecast. If I want to watch football or the latest films I use the GBox.

I think Chromecast, AT PRESENT, is a waste of money. Better to invest in GBox or other equivalent unit.
    Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭corkie

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Has anyone who owns one tested if the chromecast will pick up and function on a mobile hotspot?

If you are referring to an Mobile device such as an O2 hotshot device, then it does work. (except for using a plex media server which doesn't).

If you referring to using your mobile phone as a hotspot, then there are reports of that working, but you will need another device to cast from.

Yes there is a feature to cast your entire screen (experimental) but to cast MP4 videos you be better of using a chrome extension called videostream.

I also have an O2 hotshot device, I mainly cast local content, so I'm not eating in to my Download limit.

List of supported chromecast apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

garroff wrote: »
    What you said

They are totally non related items. You can't compare a Chromecast to that other questionable unit and expect them to be similar.

Advertisement