Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 7 GM/Public Release

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is notification sync working for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

DubDJ wrote: »
    Update available. Bringing all devices to 7.0.2. Mainly fixes lock screen bug. Quick fix is good to see.

It put my iphone into recovery mode it's no biggie though fixing it now . I will never use the inbuilt up date tool for my phone ever again .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It put my iphone into recovery mode it's no biggie though fixing it now . I will never use the inbuilt up date tool for my phone ever again .

Worked well for me in a couple of minutes and an about 5 minutes restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭space2ground1

My iPhone started buzzing like mad a few mins ago and it seems to be stuck in a boot loop..

Its iOS7.. has this ever happened to anyone else? I need it for the morning so this is freaking me out a bit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Safari tends to quit when I open a boards thread containing Youtube clips. A few other hiccups. Have just installed the updated (iPad 2), so we'll see how things go.

• Advertisement

My iPhone started buzzing like mad a few mins ago and it seems to be stuck in a boot loop..

Its iOS7.. has this ever happened to anyone else? I need it for the morning so this is freaking me out a bit!

Did you do something that triggered this ? an app ?an update ? a restart ? what ?

Piliger wrote: »
    Did you do something that triggered this ? an app ?an update ? a restart ? what ?

It was sitting on the arm of the couch charging for an hour when it started to buzz and restart. I have the apps set to auto update. I wonder if that was the problem.
    I ended up having to do the forced firmware upgrade and eventually got back to where I could restore a week old backup. Frustrating.

It was sitting on the arm of the couch charging for an hour when it started to buzz and restart. I have the apps set to auto update. I wonder if that was the problem.
    I ended up having to do the forced firmware upgrade and eventually got back to where I could restore a week old backup. Frustrating.
    Very strange. I agree that my first step would be to turn off auto update. Make sure you do daily or two day backups for the next few weeks just in case it happens again.

btw what do you actually mean by a boot loop ? When my iPhone updated to 7.0.2 it went dead for almost 5 minutes before it started up again.

By boot loop I mean I saw the apple logo, a flash of the lock screen and then the black screen with the tiny spiral, switched off for a split second, then back to the apple logo.

Rinse and repeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Bet it tried to update to 7.0.2

As for the blue dot turn off auto update if this annoys you. It's a pretty neat feature. My feeling is if you are not going to launch the app very much so that that symbol annoys you you might as well not have the app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't think the blue dot is related to auto update. I have auto update off and instead visit the AppStore to download updates. The blue dot still appears afterwards. You always have to open the app to make it go away. I want it to go away because it draws the eye as I'm browsing my apps. So I still have to open and close apps to make it disappear.

As for using it as a guide to delete apps I wouldn't find this useful. I have plenty of apps such as Weather, Calculator, The Times and Sunday Times, Shazam, GarageBand etc. which I would not use every day, week or even month. Frequency of use doesn't indicate a need to delete these for me.

Ironically, using it in this manner is encouraging users to delete apps that are being updated and maintained (and so which they may now find more useful) whilst keeping apps they haven't used in the same amount of time but which haven't been improved.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I don't think the blue dot is related to auto update. I have auto update off and instead visit the AppStore to download updates. The blue dot still appears afterwards. You always have to open the app to make it go away. I want it to go away because it draws the eye as I'm browsing my apps. So I still have to open and close apps to make it disappear.

As for using it as a guide to delete apps I wouldn't find this useful. I have plenty of apps such as Weather, Calculator, The Times and Sunday Times, Shazam, GarageBand etc. which I would not use every day, week or even month. Frequency of use doesn't indicate a need to delete these for me.

Ironically, using it in this manner is encouraging users to delete apps that are being updated and maintained (and so which they may now find more useful) whilst keeping apps they haven't used in the same amount of time but which haven't been improved.

Well only if you don't like the dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The blue dot beside app names shows which apps have been updated. So if you download a new update the blue dot will appear to indicate it has been updated. Or if auto-update is on you might miss out on such updates and not realise it's been updated. That's the reason it's there, mainly so you can still know which apps have changed.

I update all my apps though iTunes and sync them to my iPhone and iPad. Saves me downloading the same app twice and it doesn't mark apps with a dot when you do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Regarding apps updating.

I'm finding that sometimes they update automatically and other times they don't, and just sit in App store waiting on me to hit update.
    Any idea on this?

Also, notifications.

In the beta , I used to get traffic news (just under the weather). Mornings it would indicate traffic to my work and evenings it would tell me how long it would take to get home, very clever.

Since updating to full iOS7 it doesn't do it anymore, despite having work and home addresses set and everything enabled in location services. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

murpho999 wrote: »
    You don't have to go on Apple.com to see the latest upgrade.

My post is not as personal as yours so I don't see your point.

Don't really care if they like the upgrade or not but a lot of times people just don't like change and complain anyway. To say that iOS 7 as he or she said is simply not true in my opinion.

If I didn't like change I wouldn't have upgraded.

No I didn't know the graphics were going to be similar to those on Nokias 10 years ago, if I had known that I wouldn't have upgraded (actually upgraded is completely the wrong word, downgrade is more apt)

Another problem I have now is the phone loses 3G signal regularly. I've had the phone 28 months and it never happened before or would pick it up automatically if it was lost now I have to toggle airplane mode to get it to search fir a 3G signal.

Apple should have warned 4 owners that it's not advisable to change to ios7 as it's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone haven trouble re activating iMessage and face time after switching too ios7?

CJC999 wrote: »

No I didn't know the graphics were going to be similar to those on Nokias 10 years ago, if I had known that I wouldn't have upgraded (actually upgraded is completely the wrong word, downgrade is more apt)

Another problem I have now is the phone loses 3G signal regularly. I've had the phone 28 months and it never happened before or would pick it up automatically if it was lost now I have to toggle airplane mode to get it to search fir a 3G signal.

Apple should have warned 4 owners that it's not advisable to change to ios7 as it's crap.

You updated about a week after the release though? Surely worth a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You updated about a week after the release though? Surely worth a google.

No I updated on the day of the release. It wasn't until a few days after that that I read tech threads (that were not available previously) on how rubbish it was and recommending 4 users NOT to upgrade something apple SHOULD have done themselves. I'm entitled to an upgrade so will be changing to android I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

No I updated on the day of the release. It wasn't until a few days after that that I read tech threads (that were not available previously) on how rubbish it was and recommending 4 users NOT to upgrade something apple SHOULD have done themselves. I'm entitled to an upgrade so will be changing to android I think.

iOS7 has been in the public sphere since June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Anyone haven trouble re activating iMessage and face time after switching too ios7?

Your not on 48 are you? Or on prepay and have no credit?

To activate it sends a text costing 25c, so if you don't have any credit it won't work. Had that problem myself.

Sorry to hear your 4 isn't working.

Out of interest, have you tried wiping the phone and setting it up as a new one? No backups or anything completely fresh?

My 4s was useless in iOS 7 and it corrected after I did so, I've also heard of people with a 4 that worked properly after doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dinjo99

Apologies if already answered.
    Updated my iPad mini with ios7 today.
    Tried to update my apps but can't because it tells me I am in the us store and that I must go to the Irish store

Tried restarting but same issue.
    Any advice please.

Herrick wrote: »
    Your not on 48 are you? Or on prepay and have no credit?

To activate it sends a text costing 25c, so if you don't have any credit it won't work. Had that problem myself.

How do I get them too send the text I've topped up by 2 euro now about 15 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

dinjo99 wrote: »
    Apologies if already answered.
    Updated my iPad mini with ios7 today.
    Tried to update my apps but can't because it tells me I am in the us store and that I must go to the Irish store

Tried restarting but same issue.
    Any advice please.

Try going to the bottom of the featured tab in the app store. Tap on where it says your Apple ID and that should force it to reconnect to the Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dinjo99

Try going to the bottom of the featured tab in the app store. Tap on where it says your Apple ID and that should force it to reconnect to the Irish store.

Perfect, thanks

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How do I get them too send the text I've topped up by 2 euro now about 15 mins ago

Turn off both iMessage and FaceTime and then turn them on again and see if it works now.

Herrick wrote: »
    Turn off both iMessage and FaceTime and then turn them on again and see if it works now.

Nope just says waiting for activation

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Just watched my first ad on itunes radio (on tv, with audio through my stereo) via apple tv (US itunes account)... can see myself listening to a lot of music via this

• Advertisement

Quick question about Safari. If you tap on the address bar and want to scroll back along to the start of the address how do you do it? All I can seem to do is press the back button but it deletes everything as I go back along. Is there a way cause I've never managed to find it.

Advertisement