Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 7 GM/Public Release

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mad muffin wrote: »
    And also a useless feature as a way of finding a phone if they can just turn the phone off.:mad:

Yeah but they have to turn back on at some point, so unless you have the SIM lock enabled there's a good chance of it transmitting its location.

Its main usefulness is as a security feature to protect the privacy of your data. And if activation lock is successful, hopefully as a deterrent too. Knowing roughly where a thief lives isn't much use to most people. The Guards don't care. So unless you're willing to go breaking down doors with a baseball bat, knowing where your phone is isn't much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭guil

even if you use DFU to restore it you can't use it until you enter the apple id password or else the phone won't activate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What happens now with iOS 7 if you want to sell your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

You can delete the device through iCloud.com and disassociate your AppleID with the iPhone. Or switch off Find My iPhone on the phone itself and sign out of your AppleID.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well presumedly you'll want to restore it first. When you do so you'll be prompted to disabled Find My iPhone, which will also disable Activation Lock. So the new owner won't have any problems restoring it themselves.

The main risk in buying a second-hand phone is still the previous owner claiming insurance and blacklisting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ive always upgraded the iphones IOS via itunes but wanted to give the over the air update to the latest 7.0.2 a try. Is this updating reliably for people over the air or are people generally updating via itunes?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah its grand, and takes considerably less time than iTunes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

califano wrote: »
    Ive always upgraded the iphones IOS via itunes but wanted to give the over the air update to the latest 7.0.2 a try. Is this updating reliably for people over the air or are people generally updating via itunes?.

All things being equal, it's the only way to do it!

However, you need to fulfil the following criteria:

Either have well over 50% battery or be plugged into the wall.

Be connected to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

culabula wrote: »

Be connected to wifi.

Thanks for the tip 50% didnt realise it needed to be this high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

culabula wrote: »

Be connected to wifi.

I don't know if the 59% battery requirement is still there. I updated my iPhone and iPad to 7.0.2 recently and both had under 50%. Both OTA updates too, and it worked perfectly. Took about 10 mins to fully complete for both.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    I don't know if the 59% battery requirement is still there. I updated my iPhone and iPad to 7.0.2 recently and both had under 50%. Both OTA updates too, and it worked perfectly. Took about 10 mins to fully complete for both.

7.02 may work without at least 50% if one has 7.0 on board owing to the very small size of the update.

But updating from 6.0 to 7.02 will be refused if you don't fulfill the prerequisites.

califano wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip 50% didnt realise it needed to be this high.

Hadn't noticed you had specified 7.02 so this may not apply after all as advised above. Try it and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi all,in the attachment below you will see an issue I'm having with my 4s,as I live near the border I require my phone to always be on manual network search and if it's in automatic it can go into roaming and charge me roaming rates,

the issue is when I try to go to manual my phone can't find any networks whatsoever,anyone else getting this?

I have tried hardresetting and still nothing.

Well presumedly you'll want to restore it first. When you do so you'll be prompted to disabled Find My iPhone, which will also disable Activation Lock. So the new owner won't have any problems restoring it themselves.

The main risk in buying a second-hand phone is still the previous owner claiming insurance and blacklisting it.
    Don't think that's right. I had to disable find my iPhone to restore my 5 but still had to sign in with my Apple ID to activate it afterwards. That was last week before sending it back to apple.

Being asked to create or login using an Apple ID is a normal part of the activation process. It doesn't mean it's locked to your ID.

Disabling Find My iPhone disables Activation Lock as well. Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to restore. If you forcibly erase the phone you would be presented with a message that the phone is linked to an Apple ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hi all,in the attachment below you will see an issue I'm having with my 4s,as I live near the border I require my phone to always be on manual network search and if it's in automatic it can go into roaming and charge me roaming rates,

the issue is when I try to go to manual my phone can't find any networks whatsoever,anyone else getting this?

I have tried hardresetting and still nothing.
    I've just tried switching automatic off & got the same result as your pic, but kept trying. After about eight attempts the other networks showed & show straight away now. Keep trying!

The message I received was sign in with your Apple ID to activate this iPhone. The option to enter or create an Apple ID takes place a few steps after activation.

Today I received a replacement iPhone 5 and tried to get the gf to restore from iCloud while I was in work. The only thing it would do before it was activated with a sim was pick the language and join wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I've just tried switching automatic off & got the same result as your pic, but kept trying. After about eight attempts the other networks showed & show straight away now. Keep trying!

Cheers Cushie,Kept trying and trying and eventually it worked for me. Reck the head issue by the looks of it if ya head away and want a particular network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Does no one else think that activating airplane more from the lock screen is a way to bypass find my iPhone?

guil wrote: »
    The message I received was sign in with your Apple ID to activate this iPhone. The option to enter or create an Apple ID takes place a few steps after activation.
    Strange. It definitely shouldn't do that. I guess Apple still have some bugs to work out.

• Advertisement

Strange. It definitely shouldn't do that. I guess Apple still have some bugs to work out.

I thought is was some security feature and thought it was pretty cool. Pity if it isn't like that.

Does no one else think that activating airplane more from the lock screen is a way to bypass find my iPhone?

Sure. As discussed earlier in the thread, they can also disable it by turning the phone off.

There's not much Apple can do about this. Making it so that your passcode is required every time you turn the phone off or enable airplane mode would be a recipe for disaster. What if the phone crashed and became unresponsive? Besides, even if Apple did implement such a feature, what would stop a thief from taking out your SIM card?

guil wrote: »
    I thought is was some security feature and thought it was pretty cool. Pity if it isn't like that.

It's unnecessary. With Find My iPhone enabled, you can't restore the phone without the original owner's Apple ID. If that's you, you enter the password and the Activation Lock is disabled until you re-enable Find My iPhone post-restore. If you are a thief the phone won't restore. You can forcibly erase the phone using DFU mode but then you'll be presented with an activation screen.

Tying Activation Lock to Find My iPhone makes sense. Forcing users to mess around on iCloud.com to disable Activation Lock would create a lot of problems for people trying to sell their phones on.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I have 900 photos in my photo stream on my mac and ipad.. Yet since iOS7, my phone will only download 144 of them, but happily adds new photos taken with the phone to the stream.

Anyone have an explanation for this oddness?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have 900 photos in my photo stream on my mac and ipad.. Yet since iOS7, my phone will only download 144 of them, but happily adds new photos taken with the phone to the stream.

Anyone have an explanation for this oddness?!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5323214?start=0&tstart=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Solution: Use dropbox

Solution: Use dropbox
    Indeed. It works like a charm and syncs with my desktop at the same time.

I've got 74GB of space too, from registering on various tablets and phones over the years. They never seem to take it away.

I've got 74GB of space too, from registering on various tablets and phones over the years. They never seem to take it away.
    6.2Gb here. Are you sure you don't mean 7.4Gb ? Also keep an eye on Jottacloud. Not as functional, but 10Gb of space free.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    6.2Gb here. Are you sure you don't mean 7.4Gb ? Also keep an eye on Jottacloud. Not as functional, but 10Gb of space free.

It's actually 78GB!

I got 50GB free with a Samsung Galaxy Tab. And 25 recently for registering on a HTC One.

Advertisement