Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 7 GM/Public Release

Options
  • 12-09-2013 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

So Apple officially announced that iOS 7 will be available on September 18th, and I was curious to the current state of the OS now that the Golden Master has been released.

I used it during beta 1 & 2 and I suffered a battery glitch that made me downgrade. At the time there was a lot of bugs on my iPhone as well as the iPad. Just wondering how are people who are currently running the GM doing with regards to the actual stability of it? Any major issues or problems that would make me consider holding off for a few bug fixes?

I'm hoping by now it should be stable enough. I've a feeling iOS 7 won't be as solid an update as they have been in the past due to the fact is the first major change since 2007. That aside I'm hoping its good enough to get by on for now.

Any feedback from Dev's using It?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not a Dev but i've been using every beta full time as it came out, since the last update the phone hasn't skipped a beat.
    I'd have no hesitation loading it on to your phone. A few apps crash, the browser occasionally crashes and restarts itself straight away, these are tiny little glitches nothing to be concerned about and I expect those same glitches in the full consumer version anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not a Dev but i've been using every beta full time as it came out, since the last update the phone hasn't skipped a beat.
    I'd have no hesitation loading it on to your phone. A few apps crash, the browser occasionally crashes and restarts itself straight away, these are tiny little glitches nothing to be concerned about and I expect those same glitches in the full consumer version anyway.

I had the occasional problem with the devices restarting randomly. Has that been happening at all since you've had the GM? I was having problems with the status bar disappearing too but that wasn't really widespread. I can work with apps crashing. Just want the actual OS working smoothly enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The phone restarted once (well it didn't really just went blank and the apple symbol appeared and then it was back to normal) since the last beta, none of my important apps crashed think it could have been just adverts app.

The OS is as smooth as Rosanna Davidsons left cheek, no worries there..

The phone restarted once (well it didn't really just went blank and the apple symbol appeared and then it was back to normal) since the last beta, none of my important apps crashed think it could have been just adverts app.

The OS is as smooth as Rosanna Davidsons left cheek, no worries there..

As long as its her bum cheek your talking about my mind is at ease :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There's a new sound when you plug the phone in to charge. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm on the final beta before the GM and i have noticed one bug

go to your contacts and edit your own ("me") contact and try to scroll down to the bottom, it crashes out everytime.

I'm on a 4s yet a workmate is running the same beta on a 5 and his doesnt crash.

hmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Only available to Developers still?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Only available to Developers still?

No here's the link https://mega.co.nz/#!sJlUmK4Q!IPnV_lZYMpS2fvnw3rT2-zN7Up5ImppHv7uz5IzqRWo

You need something like 7zip, open the dmg file and then the hfs. The ipsw is in there. Extract it and shift restore in iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

go to your contacts and edit your own ("me") contact and try to scroll down to the bottom, it crashes out everytime.

I'm on a 4s yet a workmate is running the same beta on a 5 and his doesnt crash.

hmmmm.....

Not for me (iPad Mini)

hmmmm.....

Only for your own personal contact or does the same thing happen for all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm using the ios7 gm since yesterday and every call I make gets put on hold by my face!!! Really annoying.

jarvis wrote: »
    I'm using the ios7 gm since yesterday and every call I make gets put on hold by my face!!! Really annoying.

Have you tried a restart? I'm using the gm as well and no problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Anybody tried it on an Iphone 4? Wondering if it will be crippled.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

guil wrote: »
    No here's the link https://mega.co.nz/#!sJlUmK4Q!IPnV_lZYMpS2fvnw3rT2-zN7Up5ImppHv7uz5IzqRWo

You need something like 7zip, open the dmg file and then the hfs. The ipsw is in there. Extract it and shift restore in iTunes

Hi Gull,

I've extracted the ipsw file for ios7 I'm just not sure on the next step. How do I restore my phone from following the extraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I've been using iOS 7 since Beta 4 - updated to GM yesterday and absolutely no issues so far.

The only issue is that it's obviously not compatible with iTunes 11.0.5 so you'll need to make sure you're backing up to iCloud for the next few days and not need to sync with iTunes on your Windows PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Raedwald wrote: »
    Hi Gull,

I've extracted the ipsw file for ios7 I'm just not sure on the next step. How do I restore my phone from following the extraction?

Press SHIFT, click Check For Update in iTunes, point it at the IPSW file.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Mr Velo wrote: »

Got it! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

DubDJ wrote: »
    Only for your own personal contact or does the same thing happen for all?

I thought it was my own, but it is actually doing it on others too. not them all though.

Surprised that worked cos a lot of places are saying you have to restore. I held shift and clicked restore from backup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not a fan of the slightly slow animations of the home screen on the iPhone 5 but other than that it's a welcome refreshing update, looking forward to updated third party apps next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Not a fan of the slightly slow animations of the home screen on the iPhone 5 but other than that it's a welcome refreshing update, looking forward to updated third party apps next week.

good luck... Still some that haven't updated for iPhone 5 screen and that was last year!! :mad:

Dublin bus, yes I am looking at you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not going to rush into iOS 7 thanks.

I mean I was fine with iOS 6 but remember the Apple Maps boondoggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

NetNinja wrote: »
    Anybody tried it on an Iphone 4? Wondering if it will be crippled.

Curious to know this also. My 4 feels sluggish as it is at the minute, wondering is iOS7 gonna make it worse. Might give it a bash tonight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Overheal wrote: »
    Im not going to rush into iOS 7 thanks.

I mean I was fine with iOS 6 but remember the Apple Maps boondoggle?
    That was only an issue because the superior Google Maps app was pulled.

There's no such probs with iOS7.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Has anybody tried the GM on an iphone 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone on GM notice that iCloud Keychain has disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

For anyone using a mac its alt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone on GM notice that iCloud Keychain has disappeared?

They seem to be holding it back until Mavericks is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Just installed on iphone 5. No difference to last beta. Awaiting itunes update so i can sync again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

good luck... Still some that haven't updated for iPhone 5 screen and that was last year!! :mad:

Dublin bus, yes I am looking at you!!!

I mean the big apps like Facebook, Twitter etc. They should bring major redesigns and take advantage of the new API's particularly Background App Refresh if they can do it without killing battery life.

The domestic "small time" apps I rarely use much anyway as they are just a carbon copy of their website most of the time anyway.

Advertisement