Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 7 GM/Public Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I installed this on my iPhone 4. The animations are slow and the screen transitions jerk. The apps themselves aren't as snappy as before. iOS 7 might look fresh but it feels terrible on older Apple devices.

I'm considering downgrading.

Also, why didn't they update the Podcast app?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

silvine wrote: »
    I installed this on my iPhone 4. The animations are slow and the screen transitions jerk. The apps themselves aren't as snappy as before. iOS 7 might look fresh but it feels terrible on older Apple devices.

I'm considering downgrading.

Also, why didn't they update the Podcast app?

Apple are no longer signing iOS 6 so if you plan on downgrading the normal way you won't be able to.

Apple still have a fair few apps to update for iOS 7, the iLife and iWork suite still have the old designs as well as others such as iBooks and Remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anybody come across the bug that allows you to call any number from the lock screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Safari crashes on my iPad 2 every time I try to play an imbedded YouTube clip on boards. Does this happen to anybody else?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bop1977 wrote: »
    Safari crashes on my iPad 2 every time I try to play an imbedded YouTube clip on boards. Does this happen to anybody else?

This happens to me every other time. But it's been happening a long time now, well before ios7

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

guil wrote: »
    My iphone 5 has stopped working now with any charger, tried a few different car chargers and different wall chargers but everyone of them say accessory may not be supported. Only started this morning and the same after a fresh restore.

I contacted apple through their live chat and they are gonna send out the box and envelope.
    Apple have blocked using 3rd party cables to charge:
    http://www.360nobs.com/2013/09/apple-ios7-ios-7-blocking-fakenot-original-charging-cables-and-how-to-get-around-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

silvine wrote: »
    Welcome to enforced obsolescence my friend.
    Draco wrote: »

hahahaha, oh man, that's the scabbiest thing I've ever heard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm charging mine at the moment with a deal extreme charger :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Could this be due to the recent user in Asia who was electrocuted was using a 3rd party cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Let's see: disable third party chargers because they are exploding and electrocuting people who then try to sue you, or disable them just to be evil?

Apple already offer a replacement programme for third party chargers and they are generally pretty good about replacing faulty official ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

murpho999 wrote: »
    Could this be due to the recent user in Asia who was electrocuted was using a 3rd party cable?

That's exactly it. The cable is not just a cable. I am delighted that Apple have restricted use to their own cable. Using cheap sh!t will inevitably lead to Sh!t outcomes. The iPhone is a 700 quid product. Only a scab tries to save a few quid on an important cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Piliger wrote: »
    That's exactly it. The cable is not just a cable. I am delighted that Apple have restricted use to their own cable. Using cheap sh!t will inevitably lead to Sh!t outcomes. The iPhone is a 700 quid product. Only a scab tries to save a few quid on an important cable.

Not sure what the situation is with the new Lightning charger cables but the reason I use a Belkin cable for my iPhone 4 is because it is of far superior quality. My Apple cable failed after 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ahh I wouldn't call them a scab, just cost-minded. Usually with cables there is no point in buying expensive versions of readily available cables. Lightening is sort of different, kind of wish that they would open it up to drive the price lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Rip off cable that always seems to work and doesn't kill people.

Remember when that happened all the media said that girl was killed by Apple iPhone. No mention of the brand of cheap cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Doubt it's that because it happens with my original lightning cable as well. Praying its something stupid like that but i had the GM as long as it's out and it only happened over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

People and their stupidity never cease to amaze me :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

guys, anything ye can think of that can be turned off to increase battery life?
    Finding it draining!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm finding battery life amazing with iOS 7. Had 21% battery today and checked usage. Standby - 1 Day 9 Hours, Usage 6.5 hours. That's brilliant. I could of easily gotten to 36 hours with the remaining battery. I'm getting over a day with regular use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Haven't really noticed any major changes in battery life since the upgrade to iOS 7. I had assumed that the dynamic wallpaper in particular might have some effect on the battery life but nothing major to report with it so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Passenger wrote: »
    Haven't really noticed any major changes in battery life since the upgrade to iOS 7. I had assumed that the dynamic wallpaper in particular might have some effect on the battery life but nothing major to report with it so far anyway.

Quite the opposite with me on a 4S. I would be down to around 10% battery by 5:00pm. It's now 10:00pm and I have 20% left.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

5s + ios7 = super battery life so far, very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

7upfree wrote: »
    Quite the opposite with me on a 4S. I would be down to around 10% battery by 5:00pm. It's now 10:00pm and I have 20% left.

I'm using a 4S too. I also found though that I had to reset some of my settings that would have been using extra battery life after the install. Have you double-checked all your notifications etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've a 4S also and I've also noticed that battery life is very much improved. Now I have background app refresh off also which I would suspect helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is it possible to revert to
    iOS 6 on an iPhone4? I'm sorry I updated to it as I used to love my 4 but its rubbish now, rubbish childish graphics, slower, worse battery life. I can't find one positive thing to say about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple have stopped signing iOS 6 I believe, so unless you had the SHSH blobs saved, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The iPhone is a 700 quid product. Only a scab tries to save a few quid on an important cable.

It's only a few shillings worth of electronics out of Flexcomm in China ~ Apple charge 700 dollars for the USA made operating system. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

guil wrote: »
    Doubt it's that because it happens with my original lightning cable as well. Praying its something stupid like that but i had the GM as long as it's out and it only happened over the weekend
    It was only turned on with the actual release. The fact that your original cable isn't working suggests there could be a deeper issue. Have you borrowed an official Apple cable from someone to try? If that doesn't work I'd be ringing Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

CJC999 wrote: »
    Is it possible to revert to
    iOS 6 on an iPhone4? I'm sorry I updated to it as I used to love my 4 but its rubbish now, rubbish childish graphics, slower, worse battery life. I can't find one positive thing to say about it.

No can do without SHSH blobs i'm afriad

Advertisement