Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

FutureGuy wrote: »
    wait...what? Where can I read more about that?
    The gold coin you can see if you play against someone with a pure gold deck; if you start second you'll have a gold coin card rather than the normal one (which is why I'm working on a Murloc deck rather than trying to get every card). The 500 or 1k gold (I think it was 1k gold) was listed way back when Heartstone started; no clue if it's been confirmed or not afterwards. Oh and the first person in the world to get all gold card did it only in January 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If ye need any help with decks or questions about anything just ask reality. the player Trump has a good series where he gets to legend playing free decks, have a look at these, or any streamer that explains their play.
    He also did a 'Trump Teachings' series a few weeks back, which basically runs through a bunch of basic concepts using very basic decks, handy for those just starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Out of about 70 packs (40 bought, 30 gold), I only get Toshley. :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ouch, don't abandon RNGsus, he will be redeemed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

You did great, certainly I would stick to certain classes (that you mention) when you are new. Once you get a handle on the game the easiest way to get to legend for me playing with basic decks was Priest, zoo and mage. Priest is ridiculous, and I won the boards tourney with it, having no right to. You just take their cards :) Stick to these classes due to expensiveness of other decks or difficulty of play. Priest has amazing class cards and can win you control games well, zoo is a cheap deck to make and is highly competitive and used a lot. You don't need epics or legendaries in these decks.

If ye need any help with decks or questions about anything just ask reality. the player Trump has a good series where he gets to legend playing free decks, have a look at these, or any streamer that explains their play. Also now that there is spectate mode people can watch each other to help out.

For arena I advise reading the arena minion ratings guides (again trumps is good and he explains his choices) and understanding why cards are good and bad. And to help you pick you can install software that rates cards for you. The important thing is knowing why and that comes with time. For now I would say focus on your mana curve, make sure you have a good distribution, some 1-2 cost minions are essential and often people lack this early game and don't recover.

More advice for new players is that your life total is not as important to defend at teh start as you think, you don't need a million taunts (they give up value in raw stats) and more often than not trading minions efficiently is better than attacking face.

Thanks for the help! I'm slowly getting better at arena. Played a couple today and got to 4 wins - should have been 5 but I misplayed. Slowly picking up cards here and there which is bound to help in ranked mode. Also cheers to whoever suggested the achievements - I got the 100 gold for beating the expert AI, 300 for 100 wins and 95 dust for disenchanting a duplicate card I had.

I'd like to watch others but I cant find the spectate mode? maybe we have to be friends on it or something? My IGN is TonyF if anyone wants to add fire ahead :)
    Blowfish wrote: »
    He also did a 'Trump Teachings' series a few weeks back, which basically runs through a bunch of basic concepts using very basic decks, handy for those just starting out.

yeah I watched all of these and found them to be very good. I like the way he explained and repeated everything. Its sometimes hard to follow on stream because so much is happening it can get confusing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Actually while on that topic, perhaps we could get a boardies sign-on sheet for battle tags? I will say my tag is GodlessM#2624, so if anyone wants to add and reciprocate, cool.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Actually while on that topic, perhaps we could get a boardies sign-on sheet for battle tags? I will say my tag is GodlessM#2624, so if anyone wants to add and reciprocate, cool.

One used to exist, not sure where it is though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah you have to be friends to spectate.

The list was just kept on the tournament thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138294

nesf - Boidhre#2670 - Druid
    Kirby - HokemPokem#2837 - Paladin
    Big Knox - De7rag #2482 - Druid
    Tar.Aldarion - TarAldarion#2866 - Priest
    JaffOs - JaffO#2373 - Hunter
    DeSelby#2211 - Priest
    Xyo - Sefrian#2780 rogue
    Seifer - Fastpaws#2522 - Rogue
    Nody - Nody#2214 - Warrior
    Anyone - Anyone#2535 - Shaman
    Taylor365 - Legend #2173 - Warrior
    Caradoc - Caradoc#2429 - Shaman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And now I might actually be able to make my pirate deck work (but rogue rather than warrior)!

It gets a bit more kick alright. I built and started running 'Rogue Mechs' as I call them, and it is tonnes of fun. It's also funny when Sneed's Shredder pops and makes Mimitron's Head, who in turn pops and makes V-07-TR-0N. it's even funnier when you only need that 4 damage to win, making him complete overkill, and so you get to board wipe and still win the game just 'cause you can :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Opened 55 packs :-D

I'll post some pics of the best packs, including a golden legendary :-D. Horribly, I pulled 5 of the same epic!!!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Feel free to add me btw, donion#2122

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elana_29

opened 32, no legendrys but got a few gold cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Was doing infinite Arena up until I stopped playing about 2 months ago but now I'm averaging about 5 wins which isn't enough. Arena is all about low cost tempo decks now with removal even more limited since GvG. Kind of annoying as I have to dip into constructed sometimes! However Paladin finally has some good synergy in Constructed. Muster for battle is such a good card!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Lots of strong new cards in the expansion. I like shielded mini bot and muster for battle. Velens chosen is just plain broken though. Against a Priest who went turn 1 northshire turn 2 coin velens. Without a silence its a trading and card drawing machine. Few other cards are gg on turn 2.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Was doing infinite Arena up until I stopped playing about 2 months ago but now I'm averaging about 5 wins which isn't enough. Arena is all about low cost tempo decks now with removal even more limited since GvG. Kind of annoying as I have to dip into constructed sometimes! However Paladin finally has some good synergy in Constructed. Muster for battle is such a good card!

Yeah I have drafted a lot lately, and removal just isn't coming up. Haven't gotten the option of a Holy Nova the last 4 times I have drafted Priest.
    Joshua J wrote: »
    Lots of strong new cards in the expansion. I like shielded mini bot and muster for battle. Velens chosen is just plain broken though. Against a Priest who went turn 1 northshire turn 2 coin velens. Without a silence its a trading and card drawing machine. Few other cards are gg on turn 2.

Not really. Mage can Fireball it and take it down. Rogue can Assassinate it. Priest can hit it with a Shadow Word. Warrior can Execute it. And those are only a few ways in which a 3/7 can be taken down. It is still only healing 2 a turn usually, so even if you try to grind, it just has to do more. It is a 3/7 only after all, an awesome sauce 3/7, but not GG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

GodlessM wrote: »

Not really. Mage can Fireball it and take it down. Rogue can Assassinate it. Priest can hit it with a Shadow Word. Warrior can Execute it. And those are only a few ways in which a 3/7 can be taken down. It is still only healing 2 a turn usually, so even if you try to grind, it just has to do more. It is a 3/7 only after all, an awesome sauce 3/7, but not GG.

Thats some very specific removal though. Yes it can be dealt with but if you're waiting till turn 5, as a rogue, to gain some board presence then yeah it's pretty much gg. Not only is this 3/7 trading but its drawing cards. In my game the dude had circle of healing too. As if priests weren't annoying enough already :pac:.

Thats some very specific removal though. Yes it can be dealt with but if you're waiting till turn 5, as a rogue, to gain some board presence then yeah it's pretty much gg. Not only is this 3/7 trading but its drawing cards. In my game the dude had circle of healing too. As if priests weren't annoying enough already :pac:.

It's a 2 card combo you need to draw by turn 2. Meh. It'll be nasty the tiny percentage of the time the priest can pull it off but most decks have things like this if they get particular cards in their opening hand and first few draws.

It's good in that priests will normally be running Velen's Chosen and Northshire Cleric anyway, so you get it for free.

Right, but your example involves drawing two specific cards, whereas the counter involves drawing only one.

nesf wrote: »
    It's a 2 card combo you need to draw by turn 2. Meh. It'll be nasty the tiny percentage of the time the priest can pull it off but most decks have things like this if they get particular cards in their opening hand and first few draws.
    They have a 28% chance to pull the card by default; add in Mulligan and you're close to 50% chance to get a chard of choice that you have two off and 21% on the second card (assuming you mulligan for it). That would put you at napkin math of around 10% of the time to have it in your starting hand (not counting turn two draw).

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    They have a 28% chance to pull the card by default; add in Mulligan and you're close to 50% chance to get a chard of choice that you have two off and 21% on the second card (assuming you mulligan for it). That would put you at napkin math of around 10% of the time to have it in your starting hand (not counting turn two draw).

They also need to be going second and the cleric needs to survive the opponent's turn two. Less than 5% of the time will this be a thing and then the opponent needs to have no turn 3 answer, not really a game changer.

It's closer to 25% chance to draw the card by four (you can use the formula you used for this you need to calculate the chance of keeping not drawing either card, so: (28*27*26*25)/(30*29*28*27) ). There's a 20% chance that we draw a Velen's Chosen if we draw a cleric, so this happens together 5% of the time.

The rest of the maths is different too but I'm too lazy to do all that typing into a calculator. (you can't get the cards you mulligan back to you and a full mulligan is unusual so it's hard to work out reasonable %'s) Your calculated numbers are too big though.

nesf wrote: »
    It's closer to 25% chance to draw the card by four (you can use the formula you used for this you need to calculate the chance of keeping not drawing either card, so: (28*27*26*25)/(30*29*28*27) ). There's a 20% chance that we draw a Velen's Chosen if we draw a cleric, so this happens together 5% of the time.
    You're making the same mistake I did at first; you forget to count for the fact there are two copies of each card in the deck. This means your chance is twice as high to pull either of the two (with out going to deep into statistic and math); same applies for the second card and hence if you double your percentages you come to my number :)

You're making the same mistake I did at first; you forget to count for the fact there are two copies of each card in the deck. This means your chance is twice as high to pull either of the two (with out going to deep into statistic and math); same applies for the second card and hence if you double your percentages you come to my number :)

If you're calculating the chance of drawing neither card this doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

starting to put a bit of a priest deck together now. I like drawing games out as long as possible because I think Ive a better late game deck then most people at my rank. Although I got pwned by a guy with 4 giants, rag and that dragon thing that puts you down to 15 health :eek:

Why do I get the urge to ladder when there's only 10 days left in the season! :P

starting to put a bit of a priest deck together now. I like drawing games out as long as possible because I think Ive a better late game deck then most people at my rank. Although I got pwned by a guy with 4 giants, rag and that dragon thing that puts you down to 15 health :eek:
    That's Alextstrassa that sets the health to 15; and you played against a Control/Hand Lock which is an excellent counter control deck :P

So much handlock, and so many warriors with doctor boom. I started throwing in 2x bgh...bye bye 2x 9/9 molten giants on one turn :D

Isn't that Day9's deck?

• Advertisement

Got my first gvg legendary... mekgineer thermaplug ... my god :(

Advertisement